ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Who's driving my bus?
The Bigger Bang Bus in Buenos Aires, Argentina
40x5 la Disquería/ Midnight Rambler / 40x5 Tributo bar / EMI Argentina / Modena Desing
Photo by khalil78 from BdP the message board by Midnight Rambler and Rocks Off
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Starbuck's "Exile" project for RO musicians Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 29th, 2005 02:06 AM
Starbuck (this note is being posted simultaneously at gasland, shidoobee, the lotus couch and RO)

hello fellow stones cybernetic spudnicks! i hope the tour is treating you all well! pleased to meet those of you who don't know me - my name is starbuck. you may remember me from such posts as "pugs are from mars, joeys are from anus", "a dirty work listening companion" and "being josh". my credentials are decent enough: i am a 3 1/2 year grisled gasland veteran, part time Rocks Offer, and a card carrying member of the lotus couch "hall of fame". in my spare time, i also like to play kickball, wax my legs, beat people over the head with pool cues and play a little geetar. a few years back, in fact, i procured some recording equipment and have been tinkering with music in my spare time ever since. it has become quite an enjoyable hobby!

Six months ago or so, I helped put together a collection of stones covers by musicians at gasland (as well as a few cuts by a couple RO regulars). we had about 10 musicians from all over tarnation contribute tunes, and i was pleased with the outcome. so pleased in fact, that i would like to give another project a try......a "re-recording" of exile on main street!

"now what the hell is this?!?" you may be asking yourself. "how can you improve on perfection?" "you can't repaint the mona lisa or rebuild the taj mahal!" these are all valid statements. of course, we aren't trying to perfect but to interpret. i think it would be cool to put together an album of covers of this, the most specacular, hallowed album in the whole of rock and roll history, in an attempt to get a glimpse as to whether or not it maintains its otherworldliness, its swagger, its "joie de vivre" when played by followers of our boys. judging from those who contributed to the gasland project, i think there is a large pool of musicians hanging out on the web to help accomplish the task. if you are interested, please PM or email me and sign up for a tune. ([email protected])

i am hoping to get the project off and running quickly enough so that we can talk about creating a huge gigantic assed tree come march or april. i know these things take time from the production standpoint, so we will affix the arbitrary date of "tax day" here in the US, april 15, as a deadline for submission. hey, it'll give us something to look forward to on a normally surly day.

i am still deciding on how to go about assigning tracks to those musicians that are interested in participating. well, "assigning" is a bad term - the choice of what song you do is not up to me, of course. i want all musicians from the boards to feel free turning in whatever tunes they want to do. however, i am aiming for at least one cover for all 18 songs on the album and would rather not have 10 versions of "sweet virginia". in an effort for everyone to communicate with each other and get an idea of who wants to do what tunes and what songs have been claimed already, i set up a webpage for the project at myspace. the URL is:

http://www.myspace.com/theexileonmainstreetproject

as of now, i haven't set up much there, but i will in the next few days.

once again, i am hoping to recruit as many musicians as are interested. i will include copies of all songs that i receive on the final project, whether you record it at paisley park with the boston pops or on an 8 track in the back of your rusted out suburban.

feel free to check in on the myspace page from time to time for periodic updates on the project.

i will also need volunteers to help with the album art when the project nears completion, if SRW is not available (where is that hoodlum, anyway?). i am also expecting 2000 Man to do some of the liner notes, a la Anthony DeCurtiss's intro in the lyrics book of "the london years".

carry on, brothas and sistahs!

starbuck

[Edited by Starbuck]
August 29th, 2005 08:01 AM
J.J.Flash Terrific idea Startbuck! GOod to know that there are people who thinks like Jay here. I have some questions and maybe valid, humble opinions. Since many of us play some sort of instrument, wouldn't be cool if we assign which part of which instrument each of us would record. So for instance, I would play guitar on "Happy", and maybe even singing on this one, then I would mail or e-mail my share of contribution to the person assigned to play bass on "Happy", then, it would be fowarded to somebody taking care of the drums (real or even drums loops). Think about it, because many of us DO love playing Stones stuff, but maybe our real bandmates don't, you know what I mean.

If this assumption is too stoopid, I'm sorry, just wanted to say something.

Congratulations for the effort. PM me if you want Startbuck.
August 29th, 2005 08:57 AM
Jumacfly If my bass and I can help...great project Starbuck!
August 29th, 2005 10:10 AM
Starbuck Actually, I had the same thought as well. I have a short list of people i was planning on recruiting for just such an occassion, and if you guys have access to recording equipment that can do instrument parts in WAV files, i shall add you to the list!

what do you play? what do you record on? can any of you fit three clementine oranges into your mouth at once for the album cover?
August 29th, 2005 10:13 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
what do you play? what do you record on? can any of you fit three clementine oranges into your mouth at once for the album cover?

LOL
I ll see that with my guitarist who's a technology master and I let you know...
August 29th, 2005 11:18 AM
corgi37 I play drums and terrifyingly bad guitar. I've just bought a Boss mixer, and record drums live, and straight to computer. I then do some guitar parts (how many? How many ya want?) and add what ever i can/like/want.

I guess i can convert them all to wav files. I use Cool edit pro to capture and mix and pan and add "fairy dust" to everything. I know i can mix down the whole lot and put a finished track to cd. I got 64 channels to play with. I did a muck around song a couple of years ago. It was all just downloaded samples, and a bit of live guitar, but was mainly done to get used to using my programs. i was happy with the result though. Even if it was disco. I call the track "Jo Disco" and is made up of samples of Page 3 girl Jo Guest saying naughty things to a disco beat that is very similar to Benny Benassi's "Satisfaction". NOTE: My song was finished in 2003, about 3-4 months before that Benassi song came out.

I've been trying to do a Iron Maiden/Metallica type epic for years now. It was my tribute to the original Dawn of the Dead. But, i've had so many frustrations. Hard drive crashes for one. I've gone through 3 Hdd's trying to finish the prick. Now, i can do it easier with the mixer. Before, i was recording my stuff onto tape, and loading it into cool edit. The sound was atrocious.

What i also like to do is add my own flavour to old 60's songs. They are the easiest because of the extreme seperation of the channels. Currently, using Cool edit, my mate and i took the drums out of the Doors "Light my fire", and i am adding my own. I hate Densmore! So far, the results are great! I also have been toying with "Daydream Believer". I am the 5th Monkee! The one playing ultra heavy, Satan's own son, run for your life, distorted guitar! hahaha - love it. I also plan to add drums to "No expectations" and "Patience".

I'd love to get involved. It will push and inspire me. I have very average mikes, but have gotten pretty good results with the drums. I use 4 mikes to get some good separation. Of course, i can add lots of quality "samples" from "Fruity Loops". I aint got a $1,000 Paiste splash cymbol, well, not in real life, but i do in Fruity loops.

I havent been too happy with guitar results, mainly cause i am just fiddling around with the mixer and what not. And, i aint that good anyway (distortion hides all! hahaha), but i can also plug straight into my soundcard, and play along to my recorded drums.

If any song would come my way, i think some thing like Ventilator Blues, Stop breaking down and maybe even let it loose would be the go.

I have a few pedals too. A Boss MT-2, and a Zoom modulator. I can get a pretty good "Leslie" sound for Let it loose. The drumming part is easy. Shit easy.

I use a Epiphone SG. I have all the chords & lyrics for Exile. LEt it loose is a long time fave. I dont have a bass though. I guess i could play the bottom strings, maybe even drop 'em down an octave or so, add some bottom end, and get a very rudimentary bass line going.

PM me if i am of any use. Or, just tell me here on this thread if i am a waste of space. If you PM me a email addy, or even a home addy, i could send a cd-r of some rough cuts in a week or so. I'll put vocals on, but i can also add a version without them. My singing is shit. I really should give up the smokes and cheap red cask wine.
[Edited by corgi37]
August 29th, 2005 12:06 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I play drums and terrifyingly bad guitar. I've just bought a Boss mixer, and record drums live, and straight to computer. I then do some guitar parts (how many? How many ya want?) and add what ever i can/like/want.

I guess i can convert them all to wav files. I use Cool edit pro to capture and mix and pan and add "fairy dust" to everything. I know i can mix down the whole lot and put a finished track to cd. I got 64 channels to play with. I did a muck around song a couple of years ago. It was all just downloaded samples, and a bit of live guitar, but was mainly done to get used to using my programs. i was happy with the result though. Even if it was disco. I call the track "Jo Disco" and is made up of samples of Page 3 girl Jo Guest saying naughty things to a disco beat that is very similar to Benny Benassi's "Satisfaction". NOTE: My song was finished in 2003, about 3-4 months before that Benassi song came out.

I've been trying to do a Iron Maiden/Metallica type epic for years now. It was my tribute to the original Dawn of the Dead. But, i've had so many frustrations. Hard drive crashes for one. I've gone through 3 Hdd's trying to finish the prick. Now, i can do it easier with the mixer. Before, i was recording my stuff onto tape, and loading it into cool edit. The sound was atrocious.

What i also like to do is add my own flavour to old 60's songs. They are the easiest because of the extreme seperation of the channels. Currently, using Cool edit, my mate and i took the drums out of the Doors "Light my fire", and i am adding my own. I hate Densmore! So far, the results are great! I also have been toying with "Daydream Believer". I am the 5th Monkee! The one playing ultra heavy, Satan's own son, run for your life, distorted guitar! hahaha - love it. I also plan to add drums to "No expectations" and "Patience".

I'd love to get involved. It will push and inspire me. I have very average mikes, but have gotten pretty good results with the drums. I use 4 mikes to get some good separation. Of course, i can add lots of quality "samples" from "Fruity Loops". I aint got a $1,000 Paiste splash cymbol, well, not in real life, but i do in Fruity loops.

I havent been too happy with guitar results, mainly cause i am just fiddling around with the mixer and what not. And, i aint that good anyway (distortion hides all! hahaha), but i can also plug straight into my soundcard, and play along to my recorded drums.

If any song would come my way, i think some thing like Ventilator Blues, Stop breaking down and maybe even let it loose would be the go.

I have a few pedals too. A Boss MT-2, and a Zoom modulator. I can get a pretty good "Leslie" sound for Let it loose. The drumming part is easy. Shit easy.

I use a Epiphone SG. I have all the chords & lyrics for Exile. LEt it loose is a long time fave. I dont have a bass though. I guess i could play the bottom strings, maybe even drop 'em down an octave or so, add some bottom end, and get a very rudimentary bass line going.

PM me if i am of any use. Or, just tell me here on this thread if i am a waste of space. If you PM me a email addy, or even a home addy, i could send a cd-r of some rough cuts in a week or so. I'll put vocals on, but i can also add a version without them. My singing is shit. I really should give up the smokes and cheap red cask wine.
[Edited by corgi37]

Fine.... now you're gonna be my fuckin' drummer Corgi....
August 29th, 2005 12:08 PM
Starbuck corgi!

you are my hero!

are you a practiced drummer? the only drummer round these parts i know of is the good cardinal, but the angels of wonderland current world tour seems to be taking up most if not all of his time.

email me your stuff. we'll discuss.
August 29th, 2005 12:36 PM
J.J.Flash Hey Starbuck.... let me be your hero too..... don't let poor Jay outta this brilliant project... you ain't gonna regret.... I would love to play my guitar on some tracks....
August 29th, 2005 04:00 PM
Starbuck mark it down!

i shall put the first song together in the next few days.....
August 29th, 2005 04:16 PM
voodoopug I would love to help on some tracks too, i can do some guitars, bass, vocals, whatever...not great at any of them, but you have our demo, what you hear is what you get.

Let me know.

John
August 29th, 2005 04:17 PM
CraigP I use a Telecaster and an Epiphone Dot thru a Boss Metal Zone into a shitty Peavey. Sounds very raw.
August 30th, 2005 07:05 AM
corgi37 Dont call me your drummer boy!

hahahahaha.

Fine. What i'll do is this. I lay down a drum track for Let it loose. I just play along to the song with headphones. I'll mix it down....

...and then i aint too sure what to do. The final mix of cool edit will be huge. Christ, who knows, 50mpg or so? I'll talk to my buddy about converting to wav. No, hang on, it is wav. I think. I record cd quality. Well, Cool edit does, my mikes dont. Either way, it will sound ok. I know all of Exile down pat for drums, though i am not needed on all tracks. I can get my Hummingbird out too! I forgot about that. I dont play accoustic much, though.

Actually, i might as well do a few songs. Why not, as a tribute to this site, i drum to Rocks Off as well? yeah, why not? Also, i can mail a cd of my tracks anywhere for free. I do the mail at work!!!! hahahahaha.

1st things 1st. I'll do a drum track, mix it down, and see how large the file is. Then i'll take it from there. If ya got broadband, i can send it by email. If its too large, i might be able to split it up (not sure on that). Otherwise, i can send it air mail on a cd-r, all paid for by Mrs. Victoria Police.

Man, this should be fun.

So, er, what song are we doing?
[Edited by corgi37]
August 30th, 2005 01:09 PM
Starbuck corgi!

you should let me lay down a basic track of acoustic first. i can put in the drum machine on mine and then take it out after you lay down your drum track.

what tune is first? let it loose? i shall work on it this evening....
August 30th, 2005 04:01 PM
J.J.Flash I bloody hope my guitar on Happy and a few more songs could be included.. as I'm running out off time.... must find some to make it happen... just let's try not to rush things up fellows... take our time, whatever it takes...

I've always dreamt about that sort of project...
August 30th, 2005 06:28 PM
Starbuck EOMS wasn't created in a day....

we'll have to wait till the missus goes to bed...

power, brothers!
August 30th, 2005 06:34 PM
Child of the Moon Wish I had some recording equipment... I'd love to include a version of Sweet Black Angel or Sweet Virginia.
August 30th, 2005 07:27 PM
Starbuck stevie...

STEVIE.....IS THAT YOU?!?!?!?

where have you been my brother? we never see you over across the tracks anymore....

what is new in your universe? have you finally picked up a martin? gibson? telecaster?
August 30th, 2005 08:55 PM
corgi37 Let it loose it is.

Its a pretty intricate track when you think of it. Heaps of dubs. But should be fun as all hell.

What about the keyboards? the multi-layered backing vocals? the brass? Argh! What are we doing???? hahahahha.

I'm waiting on another mike i bought off ebay. Should get it by tomorrow. That gives me 4 to record drums with. They are more vocal mikes, and el-cheapo stuff at that, but they are ok. I can usually tweak things to get ok results. I mean, really, Exile & Let it loose are pretty muddy production anyway! Thats what i love about it. And thats what it love about Charlie's drums on this track. They are so boomy. They over load the mikes when he cuts loose. Sounds gorgeous!

Personally, i think its better if you follow me. As i am drumming to the actual song. I'm thinking tempo and the correct breaks. See, i can drum the whole thing, or just drum the 1st drum bit. Which isnt very long. I just realised there are alot of drum breaks in the song, so i can just do bit by bit. I might be able to email them to you as they wont be too massive.

Or, do you mean you want to send the accoustic track, and we all work off that?

Either way, this is going to be killer.

Anyway, i'm just going to go ahead and do a full song track for myself. I need some practice anyway in mixing it down and adding/subtracting stuff. I want to get the channel separation right too. I'll fiddle around a bit, and then wait on the word on what to do.

PM me, and i can give you my email address.

August 31st, 2005 12:56 AM
Starbuck ok, here are a few thoughts.

i have really gotten into stones covers this summer, and it seems the more recording i do the more my covers sound different from the originals. feel free to keep that in mind as you start your recordings.

1. we have 18 tracks to cover. corgi, if you want to get let it loose started and shuffle your drums off to the next person, they can add their bit and pass it on.

2. JJFLash, you can do the same. i would suggest, however, that you wait for corgi or myself to send you tracks before you add your geetars, IF you don't have a drum machine. drums are naturally the first track to be laid down, so unless you have a metronome in your head it may screw things up for later.

3. Jumacfly, do you have any recording equipment?

4. puggy, what are you up for? do you have equipment too?

5. stevie, have you and sahaira gotten married yet?

[Edited by Glyn Johns}
[Edited by Starbuck]
August 31st, 2005 03:03 AM
corgi37 Good idea. I know we'll be doing our own versions, but as far as keeping in the spirit of the songs, its probably better for you guys to follow me. As i said, i'll be playing the actual song through the computer, listening on head phones, and drumming along. So, i'll have the exact timing down. Of course, i'll be adding my own style, so though very similar, it wont be exact.

I'll be doing LET IT LOOSE on Friday (Thursday for most of you). I can pretty much have the whole track done by Sunday. This, i might add, is for me to get the hang of things. But, what i'll do is, make sure i get at least the 1st or maybe even 2nd verse drum parts done. That way, if i have to email them, the files (though large) wont be stupidly big. I guess i am the 1st link in the chain. Cool Edit converts files to WAV. 44hz. Cd quality. What i have to do is pretty easy. Then, we can just go through the chain, and add layer upon layer.

Once i've done my bit, let me know which song you want next, and we'll start again.

The possibilities are endless and this should be a hell of a lot of fun. Who is going to mix up the final cut? Then, we'll have to figure out who's going to burn and distribute copies to the participants. Then, there's the artwork, publicity, meet and greet, groupies, drugs, booze.

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, aint i?
August 31st, 2005 03:15 AM
Starbuck corgi...check PM...i have an acoustic/vocal track of "stop breaking down" to send you...need email...
August 31st, 2005 09:11 AM
corgi37 Sent you PM too. Will send my addy now.
August 31st, 2005 10:18 AM
J.J.Flash Hey Mastermind... you've got PM! Check it out yo!
August 31st, 2005 11:21 AM
egon should you be in need of some funky triangle
then please, feel free to contact me.
[Edited by egon]
September 1st, 2005 12:40 AM
Starbuck egon...we could use some armpit farts in the background of "stop breaking down", which is as we speak underway.

you interested?

a yodeled version of turd on the run?

spoons on rip this joint? kazoo on let it loose?

work with me!
September 4th, 2005 07:22 AM
corgi37 Done the drums for Let it Loose. Just gonna touch 'em up a bit, and will send. A bit annoyed they aint in stereo, but very "wall of soundish" all the same.

Starting on Stop Breaking Down tomorrow.
September 4th, 2005 07:28 AM
J.J.Flash I was working on Happy (so far, because there are other songs I would like to participate).... but I just can get the damn thing running well..... I think I'm gonna give up and change my mind about recording along with the original recording in order to keep the right tempo....Starbuck was right..... I will try a few times more.....but if I really notice it's not good, I will ask you Corgi to play drums on Happy and then you would send it to me.

Peace and have a beatiful sunday bandmates!
September 4th, 2005 07:32 AM
Poplar
I play a Tele through a Fender Chorus. If ya need some geetar, i'd love to do a touch of it.

I can also offer:
- Backing vocals (raw and drunken)
- claping
- humming
- background chitter-chatter
- pots, pans, natural sound effects
September 4th, 2005 10:42 AM
corgi37 Everyone needs a good pot and pan player! So, see what you can do. Dont think its unimportant, but even little things like tambourine would be cool.

No worries JJ. Keep at it. Just try and go verse by verse if you have to. Trying it all at once just asks for a blooper here and there.

I just sent Starbuck a PM. I am a complete fucking idiot. I thought i saved my Let it Loose session. But, noooooooooo. I did about 3 takes. I fucked up big time towards the end on all of them, but nothing i cant fix digitally.

I wasnt totally happy with the sound anyway, and i will complete it tomorrow, get right into Stop Breaking Down, and then Happy. PM me your email, and i will reply with mine. Happy is a simple sounding song, but actually pretty tricky. I can never get the guitar part right. Drumming to it can be a bitch too. I always go out of time, but with Cool Edit, i can just go verse by verse, and pick the right ones that i succeed in. I actually used to have the same problem with BITCH and (for us to worry about) All down the line. But, i'll get there.

Provided i save the sucka! Man, i cant believe it.

This just steels me to get this together. I am furious with myself. But, as i PM'd to Starbuck, the actual drum sound is ok. It's mono (i have a stereo mixer, stereo leads, yet it aint stereo). Well, it could be. My mikes are probably bleeding into each other real bad. I can fix that a little bit - get a little more seperation, but that would take forever. I got some lovely sound fonts i can add, and really switch them from channel to channel, so that can add a nice ambience, and spread out the sound a bit more to make it a little more interesting.

Other than that, considering the crappy mikes i have, i am not too unhappy with the quality. Very "Exile". hahaha.

dont forget - Brown Sugar's drums are only done with 3 mikes.

P.S. Is it "MIKES", or "MIC'S"?

[Edited by corgi37]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)