ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Wishlist my ass, let's play the same!! Fuck the fans
© 2005 Frank Micelotta and Voodoo Chile In Wonderland with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Winning Ugly vs. Back to Zero Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 1st, 2005 09:17 PM
winter So which is the worst Stones song ever recorded

1. Winning Ugly,or
2. Back to Zero.

Back to Zero gets my vote.

Sorry contestants, but songs released in any year other than 1986 cannot be accepted.

Dirty Work sucks dirty donkey d!@k!

Ciao,
September 1st, 2005 10:15 PM
T&A SOL - they must have started thinking about this pile of shit in 1986 along with WU and BTZ...so it does qualify.
September 1st, 2005 10:20 PM
wgwalsh Thought DIRTY WORK had a bit of rubbish dropped on it as you described. Also, FIGHT ain't tight, it's sloppy fodder for the little toddler.

On the other hand, ONE HIT, HARLEM SHUFFLE, HAD IT WITH YOU, DIRTY WORK and HOLD BACK still get the blood pumping.

Shake a tail feather baby !

Would like to hear Jimmy Page do an entire album with the boys.
September 1st, 2005 10:39 PM
Soldatti Both tracks are bad, but BTZ is a pain in the ass.
September 1st, 2005 10:41 PM
glencar Sharks Will Fly is the absolute waste. Of the 2 songs listed, WU is worse.
September 1st, 2005 10:49 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
Sharks Will Fly is the absolute waste.

LMFAO!
It's "sharks will cry".
September 1st, 2005 10:50 PM
glencar LOL Need more sleep!
September 1st, 2005 10:58 PM
time is on my side They both stink. The stench is too bad for me to tell; I'm coming up for air.
September 1st, 2005 11:03 PM
Scottfree Outside of the lyrics, Sparks will fly kicks ass, much better than YGMR.....
September 1st, 2005 11:05 PM
Bloozehound why this comparison now, why,

what the fuck

its all about the SOL nowdays, thats the new low mark, get with the times you old 80's fart
September 2nd, 2005 12:25 AM
glencar
quote:
Scottfree wrote:
Outside of the lyrics, Sparks will fly kicks ass, much better than YGMR.....

I agree scottfree but those lyrics are a mountain to climb!
September 2nd, 2005 12:39 AM
pdog
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
why this comparison now, why,

what the fuck

its all about the SOL nowdays, thats the new low mark, get with the times you old 80's fart

SOL has great guitar work... Almost epic... Sappy ballads can move me, who'd have thunk. I'm ashamed to say it, but I like it!
Now if I ever talk about the greatness of Celine or how Jennifer Lopez is a misunderstood genius, then you can fling poo on me. When I listen to record, SOL sounds just fine to me...
I almost feel ashamed, but then again, I don't!
September 2nd, 2005 12:43 AM
Navin
Do lyrics matter?
I'm shattered, shattered, shattered...

Do Frank Zappa lyrics make sense to you?
Are even the lyrics by the great Bob Dylan, considered by many to be a poet of our times, anything other than "rhyming" and "timing" with the ending lines...

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for the already much-missed Zappa and the great Dylan.

The real point is "Lyrics should make no sense" - and they should not even be comprehended by the listener, the words are of least significance" - ask a certain Fats Domino

----------------------------------------------------------
"Eat my diamonds...drinking all my gin
Feast your eyes on a whole lot of sin"
----------------------------------------------------------
September 2nd, 2005 01:07 AM
Navin "I prefer to ROT, I don't wanna POP" is a great piece of writing set to angry, antagonist music made by the greatest guitar team ever (Keef/Wood) and spat out by Mick with a venom not previously (or later) to be matched.

"I wrap my conscious up, I wanna win that cup and get my money BAAIIBAAIE" - delicious, these words have such a flow. (Did not know what the saying "The devil takes the hind most" meant until I looked it up 15 years ago)

Mick was slurring, sliding, slipping, barking, shouting, sreaming....the guitars threatened bloody murder...beware the drummer - even he was on heroin...DIRTY WORK is a masterpiece, a classic concept album on violence in our lives and of our times - "Aint that the truth?"

September 2nd, 2005 01:26 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
pdog wrote:

SOL has great guitar work... Almost epic... Sappy ballads can move me, who'd have thunk. I'm ashamed to say it, but I like it!
Now if I ever talk about the greatness of Celine or how Jennifer Lopez is a misunderstood genius, then you can fling poo on me. When I listen to record, SOL sounds just fine to me...
I almost feel ashamed, but then again, I don't!

to each their own
September 2nd, 2005 02:41 AM
Sleepy London Clown I'd choose Back To Zero as the worst song in the Stones catalogue by a huge margin....

Sounds awful and dated..... like the kind of 80's movie soundtracks that play over the end credits. I close my eyes and see Eddy Murphy, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy, Andrew Mccarthy and the like.

Awful. Awful. Awful. Just my 2 cents.

Perhaps Sir Stonesalot should form a "Back To Zero" haters club.
September 2nd, 2005 02:58 AM
ListenToTheLion Back to Zero but the worst song the Stones ever recorded is Wanna hold you from Undercover.
September 2nd, 2005 04:10 AM
egon winning ugly is bad, but i can still listen to it
However back to zero does suck big time.

other than that i would say;
sweethearts together, don't stop, brand new car
September 2nd, 2005 04:43 AM
star star they wouldve been great on the 80's classic "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"
Save Ferris!
September 2nd, 2005 06:06 AM
Jumacfly the intro of Winning ugly is the biggest piece of crap recorded by the Stones, this songs sounds like a Phil Collins outtake it's a nightmare!!

back to zero?? read the credits and now everything is clear : Jagger/Richards/Leavell

to me it s a draw....
September 2nd, 2005 06:29 AM
Poplar
Less than Zero = good flick.
Back to Zero = bad song
September 2nd, 2005 06:57 AM
justinkurian I finally got around to putting 'Dirty Work' on my iPod, so I've been giving it a few spins lately.

Back to Zero is one of the worst I've ever heard.

I like the chorus/bridge (whatever you want to call it) in Winning Ugly - it's it saving grace for me.
September 2nd, 2005 07:16 AM
padre A tough one. I decided to find something positive from both tracks. Playing them right now.
Winning Ugly:
-The bridge is pretty good
-I wonder what the song would sound like with a Tumbling Dice-type guitar griven straight and dirty groove (could be moulded there quite easily)
Back to Zero:
An 80's response to Hot Stuff, redone again in Turn The Girl Loose (Mick solo) and especially in Sex Drive (almost identical bridges!). All three suck.
Nothing good to say about this one, it's even worse than I remembered. Must be the worst ever. What a way to start the b-side on vinyl: Ugly and Zero back to back!!
September 2nd, 2005 08:05 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Navin wrote:
"I prefer to ROT, I don't wanna POP" is a great piece of writing set to angry, antagonist music made by the greatest guitar team ever (Keef/Wood) and spat out by Mick with a venom not previously (or later) to be matched.

"I wrap my conscious up, I wanna win that cup and get my money BAAIIBAAIE" - delicious, these words have such a flow. (Did not know what the saying "The devil takes the hind most" meant until I looked it up 15 years ago)

Mick was slurring, sliding, slipping, barking, shouting, sreaming....the guitars threatened bloody murder...beware the drummer - even he was on heroin...DIRTY WORK is a masterpiece, a classic concept album on violence in our lives and of our times - "Aint that the truth?"

Nice one.

September 2nd, 2005 08:44 AM
Navin Thanks, Nasty.

But I'm sure BILL PERKS and Maxlugar can say better things, and have said so a thousand times already - about 'Dirty Work' than I could ever.
September 2nd, 2005 08:56 AM
gustavobala well, i know dirty work is not good, but i like these songs!

sorry!
[Edited by gustavobala]
September 2nd, 2005 09:47 AM
winter Thanks all for your responses.

And the winner is Back to Zero, alhtough the intro Winning Ugly is the worst 20 seconds or so of music evah created, evah!

And yes, this contest was a direct response to the He man emotional rescue haters club.

peace out hommies,

wintah
September 2nd, 2005 09:49 AM
egon so are we a club now?
September 2nd, 2005 10:05 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
egon wrote:
so are we a club now?

We're the Winning Zero club! yipppikayeeeah!! cowabunga!!!!
September 2nd, 2005 10:58 AM
Gazza
quote:
winter wrote:
So which is the worst Stones song ever recorded

1. Winning Ugly,or
2. Back to Zero.

Back to Zero gets my vote.

Sorry contestants, but songs released in any year other than 1986 cannot be accepted.

The answer to that is quite easy and meets with your insistence that it must have been released in 1986

Hold Back
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)