ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Wishlist my ass, let's play the same!! Fuck the fans
© 2005 Frank Micelotta and Voodoo Chile In Wonderland with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Winning Ugly vs. Back to Zero Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 2nd, 2005 11:15 AM
Jumacfly Gazza got a point here...
so??

hold back to zero ??
September 2nd, 2005 12:03 PM
Gazza WU and BTZ may both be crap, but at least they're tuneful crap

Hold Back is utterly devoid of melody, possesses the worst drum sound on any Rolling Stones record in history, a horrible gnarling excuse for a lead vocal and any redeeming qualities that the lyrics may have are submerged in what is an unlistenable cacophony.

It's one of the few songs in the band's entire catalogue which I actually find painful to listen to.
[Edited by Gazza]
September 2nd, 2005 12:10 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Hold Back is utterly devoid of melody, possesses the worst drum sound on any Rolling Stones record in history, a horrible gnarling excuse for a lead vocal and any redeeming qualities that the lyrics may have are submerged in what is an unlistenable cacophony.

WOO HOO!

Just like Sister Ray said!

sign me up!
September 2nd, 2005 12:14 PM
Too Tough Back To Zero-a totally limp, wanna-be new wave, excerise in futility. The only descent part is the "monkey on my back" hook that is a rip-off of the Helter Skelter lick. That's the only catchy part, the rest is a muck of cheesy synths and electronic effects (I wouldn't be surprised if it was really Anton Fig playing drums on this one). The lyrics are Mick's attempt to comment on the threat of nuclear warfare and the Cold War, but he doesn't say anything poinant. He's capable of making very good social commentary (Undercover Of The Night, Blinded By Rainbows and ESPECIALLY Highwire), but this one just doesn't get off the ground. Besides, socio-politcal commentary are subjects that belong on Jagger solo records, which is where this peice of crap originated and where it should have stayed (and it probobly would have come off better in the context of a Mick Jagger solo album, same as a few other songs I can think of). Back To Zero validates the (false) claim that "the Stones sucked in the 80's".

Winning Ugly-one of the best things on the whole album (although mabye that's not saying much). Like One Hit To The Body, it features Mick's most fierce singing on Dirty Work and it's got a killer bassline and great hook. Yes, it's slick with keyboards and backup singers, but it' also got tons of bite. Too bad they've never played it live.
September 2nd, 2005 12:19 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Too Tough wrote:

Winning Ugly-one of the best things on the whole album (although mabye that's not saying much). Like One Hit To The Body, it features Mick's most fierce singing on Dirty Work and it's got a killer bassline and great hook. Yes, it's slick with keyboards and backup singers, but it' also got tons of bite. Too bad they've never played it live.

!!!!!
September 2nd, 2005 12:37 PM
Mad Brained Bear What about "Hearts For Sale" off of Steel Wheels? I remember that sounding pretty horrible.
September 2nd, 2005 12:59 PM
MrPleasant "Back To Zero"!!!!
September 2nd, 2005 07:20 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Mad Brained Bear wrote:
What about "Hearts For Sale" off of Steel Wheels? I remember that sounding pretty horrible.

Killer riff!!
September 2nd, 2005 07:23 PM
glencar Really! Let's not slagging all their output. Hearts For Sale was a nice song.

I listened to DW today & Back To Zero isn't too bad. It's got a nice funky thing going on. WU is 80's thru & thru. But Gazza's correct that Hold Back is awful. Bloody awful.
September 2nd, 2005 08:00 PM
Soldatti The guitar interplay at the end of Hold Back is interesting.
September 3rd, 2005 05:44 AM
egon
quote:
glencar wrote:
Hearts For Sale was a nice song.

I'm with you on this one.

So, when are we meeting up and where. i hear SS is holding
a meeting as well for his ER club, so we should be quick
in order to have 1st pick at locations
September 3rd, 2005 08:40 AM
glencar Next Tuesday at the corner of West 8th Street & 6th Avenoooooooo...
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)