ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Thanks Angie!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 18 Ways to Destroy a Party (DIRTY WORK content!) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
August 18th, 2004 09:22 AM
beer For Snarkey:

August 18th, 2004 09:30 AM
F505
quote:
beer wrote:
For Snarkey:

August 18th, 2004 09:35 AM
beer F505, Joey will be here soon! He is the "Muhammed Ali" of posting!
August 18th, 2004 09:38 AM
F505
quote:
beer wrote:
F505, Joey will be here soon! He is the "Muhammed Ali" of posting!

Great! I know he truly hates Dirty Work! But I didn't know he had Parkinson
August 18th, 2004 09:43 AM
beer no no no, i was referring to Ali's 'Golden Years'.
August 18th, 2004 09:50 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
F505 wrote:

Great! I know he truly hates Dirty Work! But I didn't know he had Parkinson

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!
Is it a pissing week on RO guys??
I see pissing monkeys in every thread!!
August 18th, 2004 09:52 AM
Joey
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!
Is it a pissing week on RO guys??
I see pissing monkeys in every thread!!

Hi Jumacfly

Joey ! -- The Black Superman

P.S. Have you read MMD's " WHO REVIEW " yet ?!?!

Developing ..............................
August 18th, 2004 09:52 AM
Gazza >no no no, i was referring to Ali's 'Golden Years'.

what - you mean he knocks everyone out cold? Surely not.

They both have fast hands though and smooth repartee, I'll give you that - but Joey was in Vietnam and Ali wasn't

Plus - I've only met one of them. And it wasn't Joey.
[Edited by Gazza]
August 18th, 2004 09:53 AM
beer I had a revelation last night. Pissing Monkeys are "The Way Forward".
August 18th, 2004 09:55 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Joey wrote:

Hi Jumacfly

Joey ! -- The Black Superman

P.S. Have you read MMD's " WHO REVIEW " yet ?!?!

Developing ..............................

Hi Joey
I 've tried to read it but my intellectual limited capacities didn t allowed me to understand everything...

August 18th, 2004 10:00 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>no no no, i was referring to Ali's 'Golden Years'.

what - you mean he knocks everyone out cold? Surely not.

They both have fast hands though and smooth repartee, I'll give you that - but Joey was in Vietnam and Ali wasn't

[Edited by Gazza]

Vietnam was no picnic , dear host !

Shiver ..............................
August 18th, 2004 10:01 AM
beer Holy shit, i just came up with probably the gawd damn funniest post i've ever written, i tried to post it in the "What Happened between Gasland and Rocks Off" thread but the trinity closed the topic! Damn!!
August 18th, 2004 10:05 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
beer wrote:
Holy shit, i just came up with probably the gawd damn funniest post i've ever written, i tried to post it in the "What Happened between Gasland and Rocks Off" thread but the trinity closed the topic! Damn!!

why don t you post it here??
August 18th, 2004 10:09 AM
beer It was like capturing lightning in a bottle, Jumacfly. it was a one in a million post. trying to redo it just wouldn't be the same. It did directly quote your post about "balls falling into holes" though!!
August 18th, 2004 10:18 AM
caro
quote:
Gazza wrote:
[Edited by Gazza]

Damn! We need a "Gazza meets Muhammed Ali" link below the header. Any chance to get a few more details, or a link to the story (which, I suspect, you've been forced to tell more often than Joey has told the Deadly-Fake-Rolex-Selling-Viet-Cong-Stripper-Story)?
August 18th, 2004 10:22 AM
beer
quote:
caro wrote:

Damn! We need a "Gazza meets Muhammed Ali" link below the header. Any chance to get a few more details, or a link to the story

I agree, Gazza is a mysterious man, like the village elder, he can pass his wisdom on to us. please tell your Ali story Gazza!
August 18th, 2004 10:32 AM
Joey
quote:
beer wrote:

I agree, Gazza is a mysterious man, like the village elder, he can pass his wisdom on to us. please tell your Ali story Gazza!

Gazza .............I'm going drinking this Friday Evening at " The Brazen Head " .

Yes , " Acoustic Groove " is playing there again so see you about .............Oh , I'd say , ........10:30 ish CDT !

Developing ........................

" The Guinness will be flowing Ronnie ! "

Jacky !
August 18th, 2004 11:50 AM
beer Gazza, i waited patiently, now i demand that you post your Ali story.
August 18th, 2004 12:18 PM
Gazza Ok ok...its not that fascinating, really.

The first time I was ever in the US was when me and Mrs Gazza went on a trip to New York in October 1993. We'd barely been there 24 hours when I was walking down 5th Avenue to be greeted by a pic of Ali in a window, stating that he was going to be there a couple of days later for a book signing (his photographer and best friend Howard Bingham had published a new photo book "Muhammad Ali ; A 30 Year Journey").

If you think Ali shakes badly now, you should have seen the state of me when I realised I was finally going to meet him as he's been a hero of mine since I was about 7 years old. I'm usually loathe to use the word 'hero' as I don't tend to go in for that shit, but in Ali's case, it's an exception.

So, it was hardly a private audience (there were hundreds there) but I did get to shake hands with him ,get the book autographed (right under my choice of pic - one where he's standing over the prone form of Foreman in Zaire) and get a couple of photos of the occasion. Back then I had the habit of bringing a Linfield FC (the team I support) football shirt anywhere I went on holiday so I could get a pic with it on at various landmarks, so I made sure I wore it THAT afternoon.

I have to say though, that I've never seen so much love for a single human being as I did in that bookstore. The reception he got when he walked in was amazing. His arrival literally held up the traffic for blocks all around 5th Avenue from the Waldorf Astoria where he was staying, and when he walked in the entire line of people just broke ranks and rushed over to greet him as he walked past, shaking hands and pulling "Ali faces" at everyone. It was hard to believe that a few years earlier he was probably the most hated man in the US, but here were people from all over queuing for ages to meet him, some 20 years after his prime. Everyone in the queue waiting for him to arrive were swapping their favourite Ali stories. I ended up chatting for a couple of hours to one guy who was a Croatian immigrant and a black guy from the Bronx and by the time we'd left it was like we'd all become best friends.

He was supposed to be there for an hour and I was genunely worried that because of the queue plus the delay in his arrival, I wouldnt get lucky. However, he stayed for about 3 hours, signed everything that anyone put in front of him, stood up and down over and over to pose for no end of photos even though despite his condition it must have exhausted him (he was in better shape then than he is now - he didn't shake at all back then). The man's sheer class made me feel very humble. I can't imagine too many famous people in that position being like that - he simply realised that for everyone in the room it was a huge moment in their life and as a result nothing was too much trouble for him.

When I was a kid growing up, the one city I always wanted to visit was New York. The one human being I always wanted to meet was Muhammad Ali. I never dreamed I'd get to do either, let alone in the same weekend.
August 18th, 2004 01:29 PM
Jumacfly Nice story, great conclusion Gazza
August 18th, 2004 01:35 PM
glencar Gazza, I happened to be living in Cleveland at that time but visiting Philly and all of the sudden on a city street there was a huge commotion. Ali was walking by. I didn't get to shake his hand but it was still pretty thrilling.
August 18th, 2004 01:36 PM
beer Wow, Gazza! an amazing story. You're pretty friggin lucky. I've never met anyone even remotely famous. well sorta anyway. i was in the company of one of the biggest rock stars of all time, but i wouldn't consider it a "Meeting".
August 18th, 2004 02:40 PM
F505 Gazza i suggest you change your name in shakedhandswithali
August 18th, 2004 04:08 PM
Joey

Great Story Gazza ................

Thanks .

Joeyfly !
August 18th, 2004 07:37 PM
gypsy Cool! Gazza, I had no idea you were a pugilist enthusiast. I've been around boxers and boxing my whole life...but never met Ali...you're lucky!
Mike Tyson pretty much ruined any dignity of the sport of boxing.
Have you ever boxed? It's so much fun. I used to spar the teenage boys...it was a blast...you totally forget about the crowd watching...and sometimes you're thinking "I don't want to hit this person--he's my friend." But then he hits you, and that all goes out the window.
I have two Ali books, plus just about every boxing book ever published. Just finished "Boxing Babylon." It is very good...about all of the secrets and scandals behind the scenes.
My favorite boxer of all time was Stanley Ketchel. He was a middleweight, but fought Jack Johnson...this was back in the early 1900's, when they would fight anyone for nothing. Stanley was the man.
Sorry to ramble...I just got carried away cuz I love boxing.
August 18th, 2004 07:58 PM
Gazza Wow...youre a boxing fan? I'm impressed!

No, I've never boxed as such. Not seriously. (you're supposed to say its obvious I havent because I still have my looks, but I guess you forgot....

Agree with you about Tyson. I used to be a fan but I don't think he should have been allowed near a ring again after the Holyfield fight. I actually blame Don King for most of his and the sport's ills, to be honest.

I'm a bit disillusioned with the way the sport is now so I'm more into the history of the sport, so yeah, I'm fully aware of Stanley Ketchel, and I'm stunned a slip of a girl like you would have even heard of a guy who was fighting a century ago. His life story and violent end would make for a great film, I think!

fave fighters (apart from Ali) ; Roberto Duran, Julio Cesar Chavez

Being a Brit of course I enjoyed watching Lewis when he was champ. Nigel Benn and Barry McGuigan too. Boxing is a very popular sport in Belfast, more so than probably any city in the UK (or even Europe for that matter) per head of population I'd say and much more than in Dublin.

oh, and "Greatest fighter of all time" : Sugar Ray Robinson. Not even up for argument.
August 18th, 2004 08:00 PM
Soldatti Great post Gazza!
August 18th, 2004 08:11 PM
Gazza Soldatti - I really liked Carlos Monzon too!
August 18th, 2004 08:31 PM
parmeda What a great story, Gazza...if you ever make it back to the state of NY, you must visit the Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota (central NY). We were there last summer and I was impressed with the history, let alone the "stuff" they have crammed inside. It hasn't been around that long...only 15 years, I believe. Naturally, Ali was one of the 1st inductees.
August 18th, 2004 08:34 PM
gypsy Yep, Gazza, I'm a huge boxing fan. My dad trained 'em...pros and amateurs...and he was always on TV when I was growing up--as a cornerman on ESPN and other channels. And when he opened his own gym, I boxed...and was a natural at it...and Anita Hill even asked me to do an exhibition at OU for the NOW in '94 w/ a World Champion Kickboxer...who was male...and three times my size...plus, I don't like kickboxing, and had only a month to train for it...he actually never could make it as a boxer, so became a kickboxer, because it's easier...although most people believe that kickboxers are badder than boxers, that's not true at all. You try to kick a good boxer, and he's going to grab your leg and beat the shit out of you.
I bought my dad the Ketchel bio "Michigan Assassin" by Nat Fleischer...it's hard to come by. I got it for a steal on ebay-$150...it's worth at least five times that, if not more. Ketchel's murder took place just a few miles south of where I am from in Missouri. I've wanted to drive by there, but I have read that the current owners don't like people driving out there.
Monzon was awesome...he died in a car wreck in the early 90's while coming back from a weekend furlough to visit his family...he died right near the prison he was returning to...they even have pics at corbis or getty images of Monzon lying dead by the roadside.
Page: 1 2 3 4