ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Thanks Angie!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rumors of a Black Crowes Reunion (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 6th, 2004 04:34 PM
GimmeExile From BILLBOARD:

Robinson Brothers Reforming Black Crowes?

Speculation is running rampant that Chris and Rich Robinson may reform the Black Crowes, based on meetings the famously feuding brothers recently held with former Crowes manager Pete Angelus. In March at the Jammy Awards in New York, the siblings performed together for the first since the Crowes' 20002 split.

"As you may have heard, talks are in the works for something very, very exciting to all of us," Angelus posted on the BlackCrowes.org message board. "I cannot divulge any info at this point, but please keep your eyes on the official Web site [www.blackcrowes.com] for some details shortly." At deadline, the site hosted nothing but animation of two crow heads with lit joints in their mouths.

If the Crowes reunite, it is unknown which, if any, other former members may jump back on board. Crowes guitarist Audley Freed is now part of Chris Robinson's band New Earth Mud, while Crowes keyboardist Eddie Harsch guests on Rich's upcoming solo debut, "Paper," due Aug. 24 via Key Hole Records. Late-era bassist Andy Hess is now a member of Gov't Mule.

Rich told Billboard in 2003 that the Crowes were "in a severe state of limbo. We don't have any plans to get back together and we don't have any plans not to get back together. Nothing has changed in the past year [since the hiatus was announced]." He added that after a lifetime of bouncing ideas off his brother, he had no involvement whatsoever in Chris' 2002 solo debut, "New Earth Mud."

"I told him, make your solo record and make it completely solo," he said. "Not being a d*ck, but it's like, do it exactly how you want! I think he really needed to do it. He had been talking about it since [the Crowes' 1994 album] 'Amorica.'"

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
August 6th, 2004 04:36 PM
Factory Girl Will Kate allow this to happen??
August 6th, 2004 04:41 PM
GimmeExile Well, considering how low his solo album sales are, she's probably demanding it! Then again, the Crowes didn't have huge album sales either...but they are one of the greatest live bands around.

August 6th, 2004 04:45 PM
Some Guy Amorica and that last album are real dang good.
August 6th, 2004 04:56 PM
Angiegirl A reunion would be great, I miss their shows, they were fantastic!
August 6th, 2004 05:14 PM
Lazy Bones Excellent news. Thanks for posting!
August 6th, 2004 11:29 PM
Poplar
I think they're regrouping for a Pro-Bush tour.

August 7th, 2004 02:40 AM
padre Excellent news indeed! And btw New Earth Mud is a very good record!
August 7th, 2004 07:39 AM
Steel Wheels Let's face it, Lions was a real shit album, Amorica had a handful of good tunes, By My Side really was good, but the greatest was Southern Harmony.

Chris's solo albums really have ZERO energy and soul. If I had heard those first I would have skipped the Crowes all together.

Chris screamed too much on the last few tours. The best tour though? Jimmy fucking Page.
August 7th, 2004 07:46 AM
corvonero Sorry to be te bearer of bad news ... but Pete Angelus' post on bc.org that originated all the rumours is a fake.

Here's Pete Angelus true words on the subject (courtesy of Boa, the guy running Chris Robinson's official website):

I received a response from (the actual) Pete Angelus tonight concerning the activity going on related to The Black Crowes. (I had recently emailed Pete the post on .ORG and asked him if he had actually posted on the message board.)
He wrote that he has had several meetings with Chris and Rich and in his words, "the conversations were going in a very interesting direction" and he had responded recently to VH1 concerning TBC reunion rumours. He responded about the fake post too: "although it is humorous, it is not factual and it was authored by an imposter." He also stated that he doesnt post on any message boards.

What it seems likely is a possible box-set/dvd release of unreleased tracks and live shows.
Chris and Rich both have their solo career going, Marc Ford has a solo album out and is also member of Ben Harper's band so i would suggest let's forget a Crowes reunion in the near future.

Anybody digging the Crowes should check out both Chris Robinson's solo albums ... fucking brilliant !!!

Lorenzo
August 7th, 2004 09:46 AM
full moon Steel Wheels, you are way off base on this one. Amorica is brilliant. It might be their best ..... 3 Snakes is really cool as well........
August 7th, 2004 11:52 AM
mac_daddy amorica is brilliant, as are the tall and nashville sessions done around the same time period...

not only should you check NEM nowadays, go get rich's album on tuesday aug 24 when it comes out - the tunes are pretty solid. ia. for one am looking forward to it...
August 7th, 2004 12:47 PM
Mel Belli Rich is a pretty terrible singer. I always thought so when he started singing harmonies with Chris. I REALLY thought so when I listened to his live CD from the Knitting Room.
August 7th, 2004 04:58 PM
GimmeExile BILLBOARD update:

[Editor's note: recent quotes attributed to Angelus on the BlackCrowes.org message board about a forthcoming announcement, contained in an earlier version of this story, are fraudulent. Billboard.com regrets the error.]
August 7th, 2004 05:00 PM
JB1
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
BILLBOARD update:

[Editor's note: recent quotes attributed to Angelus on the BlackCrowes.org message board about a forthcoming announcement, contained in an earlier version of this story, are fraudulent. Billboard.com regrets the error.]

whew, that was a close one
August 7th, 2004 05:03 PM
JB1 Stay right where you are
August 8th, 2004 09:33 AM
crb69 Southern Harmony..was the best CD & tour most definitely. Bring back Marc Ford on lead guitar and you won't be dissapointed. I saw them at the Beacon in NYC on that tour with the dirty dozen brass band opening. At the end they brought out the "brass" and we all went up in smoke!
August 8th, 2004 03:14 PM
Factory Girl Their tour with Jimmy Page was the absolute shit!!! And, I've seen them all. Honestly, one of the best live concerts
ever! Can they re-goup with Pagey???? I'll buy tix to every show on tour!

Long live Pagey...
August 8th, 2004 03:46 PM
Martha
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Their tour with Jimmy Page was the absolute shit!!! And, I've seen them all. Honestly, one of the best live concerts
ever! Can they re-goup with Pagey???? I'll buy tix to every show on tour!

Long live Pagey...

Long live Pagey indeed! Damn straight FG, couldn't have said it better myself. We got to see the tour opening show in Tinley Park (WHO opened the following night> also kicked ass it was the last time I got to see the Ox) and it kicked MAJOR ass. I'd do it up if Pagey comes along for the ride!

Oh yes!

Pagey all the way.

:-)
August 9th, 2004 07:23 AM
Factory Girl Seeing Pagey live is a surreal experience, like no other.

Hey Martha!
August 9th, 2004 09:39 PM
Blind Dog McGhee they were a REM cover band once
August 11th, 2004 07:51 PM
Saint Sway I highly recommend checking out Rich Robinsons 1st solo album - which comes out on August 24th

its called "Paper" and it ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!

some really fucking great songs on. The 1st single "Enemy" is easily one of the best hard rock songs to come out this year. Or in any recent year, for that matter

Rich has the coolest guitar sound this side of Keith.

you can hear audio samples at www.richrobinson.net
Saint Sway I highly recommend checking out Rich Robinsons 1st solo album - which comes out on August 24th

some really fucking great songs on. The 1st single "Enemy" is easily one of the best hard rock songs to come out this year. Or in any recent year, for that matter

August 11th, 2004 07:54 PM
Saint Sway well as you can tell by the way I over enthusiastically hit the return button three times that I think that Rich's album is killer

sorry about that
August 11th, 2004 10:06 PM
ResidentMule i was in the princeton record exchange last week and saw an advance copy for 4 bucks, but figured I'd pass because I've been reserved to buying this album for months now (besides I got a big enough stack of CD's that day)
still haven't picked up Live at the Knitting Factory yet, I assume you have it Sway? How is it? I'll probably order it in a couple days because I'm hyped up enough about 'Paper' now. please tell me he does justice to Memo From Turner because other than that the songs are all pretty much the same on both releases. Is it more like the Metamorphosis or the London Years version?

also, the more I think about it, the more I really wish Hookah Brown could've lasted for just a little bit longer. John Hogg had enough style in his voice where (as opposed to Rich on lead vocals) I wouldn't be asking myself 'where the fuck is Chris on this record' evey time I popped it in the CD player.
August 12th, 2004 06:42 AM
Make It Funky As an avid fan of the Black Crowes, I quite happened to like the Page/Crowes allegience. I saw a few shows, (particularly at Roseland) and was thoroughly impressed. There would never be another opportunity to hear some of those songs live (ie: In The Light), and, at face value (no pre-conceived notions ie: Zep cover band, or reunion), the songs stood up very very well. And the live at the greek record was fantastic!!!!! Are you kidding me!?

I was reading an article on Kate/Chris here in Australia, and there seems to be a rift going on between them, and a sense of trouble in paradise. I cant' see solo Crowes being any better than the unit band itself, not unlike how solo Stones suck, but when put together, their music is magical.

out of curiousity, did Jimmy Page ever recover from his back ailments from back in 2001, when that tour got ixned!? Also, did the management ever successfully win their litigation case against Lloyds of London in teh insurance claims!?!?

Cheers
August 12th, 2004 07:59 AM
Factory Girl I always thought that Pagey's back ailment was faux.

Where did you hear that Chris/Kate were having trouble? I read an interview with Kate recently, and she appeared happy as pie.
August 12th, 2004 09:41 AM
Make It Funky Hey dude..

read it tonite in a local women's magazine... apparently Kate's moved out of their LA pad to manhattan...and she's tired of Chris being on the road, not taking on any parental responsibilities...

Hm.. do yyou think that Page really didnt suffer? I remember on the eve of the tour, (in which they cancelled), they still managed to play on Leno that evening. I was suspicious then... but..?? then the whole Lloyds of London insurance claims... with them not being able to fullfill the tour commitment, they conveniently insured themnselves quite handsomely (incase of illness or cancellation on the twenty odd arena shows)... and I guess in the end, they won, and got their proceeds?

hmm..
Cheers mate
August 12th, 2004 10:32 AM
Factory Girl Yes, it appeared that Pagey developed back problems when tix sales didn't rise to their expectations.

I think it was one of the BEST TOURS I ever saw. It was MAGICAL. Pagey should tour again...with Chris as his vocalist.
Page: 1 2