ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

The O² Arena, London, 26th August 2007
© JumpingKentFlash - Thanks a lot!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Amy Winehouse cancels - new opening acts for Dusseldorf & Hamburg Return to archive Page: 1 2
13th August 2007 07:52 AM
Gazza Following her admission to hospital last week, and despite her insistence in the papers at the weekend that she would be recovered in time for the two Stones shows this week, Amy Winehouse isn't able to perform after all.

The opening act at tonight's show in Dusseldorf will be The Answer (the Northern Irish band who opened in Belgrade) and Starsailor have been brought in to do the honours for Hamburg on Wednesday.

Too bad for those who would have liked to have seen her. Hopefully she'll sort herself out soon.

I dunno. Personally, its quite obvious that this is a young woman who has developed a drink and drugs problem, which hasnt been helped by the company she keeps. Clearly what she needs is the guiding hand and advice of responsible older people to help steer her away from temptation. A few days hanging out with the Stones would have done her the world of good....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6943946.stm
[Edited by Gazza]
13th August 2007 08:20 AM
GotToRollMe For a second there I thought you were volunteering to be the "responsible older" person to offer her a "guiding hand," Gazza. But I see you've deferred to the Stones. LMAO.
13th August 2007 08:57 AM
egon as long as she doesn't open for the stones, i'm happy!
13th August 2007 09:03 AM
luxury1 I cant help but get the impression that this chick is trying too hard to be "bad"
13th August 2007 09:05 AM
egon if bad = looking like roadkill, then she's doing a great job!
13th August 2007 09:32 AM
Lord (Hetero) Gazza, what is the company she keeps? In USA it's harder to keep track. I kinda like her. Ar first I thought she is trying a bit too hard, with the image thing. But watching her perform she looks genuine; genuinely drunk.
13th August 2007 10:04 AM
open-g C'mon Egon - i'd take Amy anytime as support act for the Stones.
The real torture is Starsailor!

Why oh why do I have to suffer through that piece of crap, three times in a row.

It's a curse, it's cruel - what did I do wrong?
I can't think of any worse band at the moment....

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh
13th August 2007 10:26 AM
gimmekeef Havent caught a Stones opener since Stevie Wonder in 72..This mutt Winehouse is pulling a Lohan.....
13th August 2007 10:37 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Commentary
'Severe exhaustion'
Rock 'n' roll's fatal flaw
By Emily L. Hauser
MetroMix.com / Aug 13, 2007

It's well known that in rock 'n' roll, along with the sex, you're supposed to do drugs. Or at least hit the bottle good and hard.

Keith Richards' supposed excesses are regular fodder for insiderish jokes. Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx recalls actually hoping, as a young musician, to become an addict. Singer, hard-partier, and recent Lollapalooza draw Amy Winehouse climbed the charts this summer declaring that she wasn't gonna go to rehab, no, no, no. Fans and critics appeared oddly satisfied with her unabashed dissolution. That's rock 'n' roll!

But on Wednesday, three days after her turn in Grant Park, Winehouse was briefly hospitalized for "severe exhaustion" -- or according to the British tabloids The Sun and Daily Mirror, a possible drug overdose.

"Amy got a massive fright," the Daily Mirror quotes a "close friend" as saying. "[She] is finally coming round to everybody's pleading with her to go to rehab."

Never say never.

Of course we're all over such reports. We gossip and gape, and assure ourselves that we, at least, aren't that bad. We relish the fall of the mighty, as we warm to the occasional tale of redemption. Rock 'n' roll is a spectacle, and what more grandiose show is there than a raw descent into hell?

As lesser mortals, we also get some satisfaction: All that seedy indulgence may lead to creative genius -- but at least the world doesn't know the results of my latest urine test.

Here's the thing, though: The drugs, as The Verve once sang, don't work.

Thirty years before Amy Winehouse landed in a London hospital, Elvis Presley died, destroyed by a well-documented, mind-boggling addiction to a rainbow of prescription drugs. On Aug. 16, 1977, the once-beautiful body of a man whose voice changed the world finally gave up, and an incomparable talent was lost to us forever.

We'll never again have the privilege of feeling that voice rocket through our veins and fill our hearts with rough beauty. Nor will we ever know what Janice Joplin might have done if she'd seen her 30th birthday, or Kurt Cobain, if heroin hadn't ruined him long before that shotgun blast.

Nor, I would argue, will we ever know what other surpassing truths the Beatles might have wrestled out of the air, through their hands and into our ears, if John Lennon hadn't dropped so much acid, and then become a (temporary) dope fiend, while the rest of the Fab Four did their own little chemical experiments. Substance abuse cuts a pretty wide swath of destruction, even if the abuser doesn't actually wind up dead. Even, it should be added, if the abuser isn't famous.

Every interview I've read about Amy Winehouse indicates that, in addition to being enormously talented, she's a young woman stumbling through an excruciatingly troubled life. There's nothing artistic about it, just as there was nothing genius in Elvis' final bow.

And what did Lisa Marie Presley lose 30 years ago? Her father.

There's nothing rock 'n' roll about that.
13th August 2007 10:38 AM
Jumacfly During Starsailor you can easily go to the bar, you won t miss anything!
13th August 2007 10:58 AM
open-g
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
During Starsailor you can easily go to the bar, you won t miss anything!

I've done that twice - it will probably get me drunk as a skunk just to ease the aggony - but it's hard to escape the sound from the PA.
note to self: I must bring my mp3-player for counter measure.

They are so gawdamn horrible - I can't even find words to express that.

Oh lord, have mercy
13th August 2007 11:03 AM
Jumacfly Starsailor is the archetype of the young band that sounds like a bunch of old and tired farts
when the Stones arrived it was the fire!
13th August 2007 12:06 PM
Gazza
quote:
Lord (Hetero) wrote:
Gazza, what is the company she keeps?

Mr J. Daniels and Cousin Cocaine, by the sound of it....
13th August 2007 12:57 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Mr J. Daniels and Cousin Cocaine, by the sound of it....

Add horse tranquilliser and heroin to that list, as well as an eating disorder.

She keeps bad company. That’s how it started with Doherty.
13th August 2007 01:57 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
I cant help but get the impression that this chick is trying too hard to be "bad"

Yes...agreed
13th August 2007 02:17 PM
open-g The Answer must be halfway through their set by now.

will you open a Düsseldorf thread now, Gazza?
13th August 2007 02:18 PM
glencar Wonder if she'll actually go to rehab...no, no, no!
13th August 2007 03:07 PM
SweetVirginia I have tickets to see Amy in Central Park September 12th. I'm guessing we have less than a 50% chance of seeing her that night.

Too bad.

13th August 2007 03:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
I have tickets to see Amy in Central Park September 12th. I'm guessing we have less than a 50% chance of seeing her that night.

Too bad.

Wouldnt be so sure. She seemed hopeful of making the Stones gigs when interviewed at the weekend in the papers here.

I've tickets to see her December 3rd
13th August 2007 03:40 PM
SweetVirginia I hope she shows up.

I would love to have seen this:

[Edited by SweetVirginia]
13th August 2007 03:46 PM
gimmekeef Mick is picking singers out of the trailer parks now.....Winehouse indeed.....
13th August 2007 03:49 PM
mrhipfl I think she's quite sexy. She sounds unique too, and her music is very genuine. She's a breath of fresh air.
13th August 2007 04:10 PM
jostorm
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
I hope she shows up.

I would love to have seen this:

[Edited by SweetVirginia]

I hope it happens for you, SV, don't give up hope just yet....
I have loved her ever since her album "Frank" came out, love the voice, to me it's absolutely out of this world. She did an acoustic version of "Valerie" on that American TV show where the host looks like a badger (forgot his name, but his hair is like Cruella de Ville's ) and it just makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Last saw her opening for the Arctic Monkeys on July 28th, and she was very good, but the two teenagers I had in tow both remarked on how sad she looked. If you google old pictures of her at the time of Frank, you'll see she looked like a 60s star, the body shape reminded me of a very young Barbara Streisand,very curvy, fat in all the right places, tits to die for, she looked really, really sexy, and staggeringly beautiful (and without all the Popeye tattoes). At the time of the Jagger duet at the Isle of White she already looked painfully thin, but in Sheffield at the Arctic Monkeys concert 8 weeks later she looked emaciated, really, really thin! I guess that a lot of people in the music business must have a lot of demons to battle, must go with the territory, all that creativitivity and the sensitive soul,blabla, but it can't be easy to have to battle them out in public for sure....And anorexia/bulemia is a tough one,even when it's without booze and drugs, I don't think you ever beat it/them, if you're very lucky you simply learn to live with the distorted body image one day at a time....And all those fucking fans, all wanting a piece of you, hounding you everybloodywhere you go,I would absolutely hate it!
Don't know, but I have always thought that it is the music business itself with its demands that eats these artists up, the drugs are only the vehicle..... My daughter (13) and I predict she won't be around for more than another year if she doesn't get some very serious help.....Remember, you read it here first... And I really hope I am wrong....

Gazza: have you just officially come out of the closet as an Amy fan????
13th August 2007 04:10 PM
Saint Sway in my neighborhood, chicks with missing teeth, cheap tattoo's and bad habits are called 'crack whores'

in London, they're called 'pop stars'
13th August 2007 04:17 PM
jostorm PS: and having Amy cancel only to have Starsailor open is a bit like going to the O2 in London on August 21st expecting the Stones but getting Jon Bon Jovi instead... I can imagine Gazza's face , and it's a picture... HAHAHA
13th August 2007 04:33 PM
SweetVirginia I thought of you, Jo, when I posted that picture because I remembered you were at the IOW.

I'm really hoping Amy gets her act together. She sold old this upcoming Central Park gig in just a couple of days. Lots of NY fans are waiting to see her here. (Fingers crossed.)

I hate to see her destroying herself.

SV

13th August 2007 04:46 PM
jostorm
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
I hate to see her destroying herself.

SV

I know, it's really sad to watch. All the close ups of her seemed so sad at Sheffield, she just looked forlorn, like someone whose spirit has been broken.
Anyway, I hope it happens and I hope she's good on the night. Toes crossed for you....
13th August 2007 05:20 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I think she's quite sexy. She sounds unique too, and her music is very genuine. She's a breath of fresh air.

True, with cancelling 80% of your shows extremely last-minute you're truly innovative.
13th August 2007 05:27 PM
Gazza
quote:
jostorm wrote:
Gazza: have you just officially come out of the closet as an Amy fan????

No closets required. I think she's great. Only really first discovered her when she sang "Rehab" at the Brit Awards about 6 months ago and my mouth fell open when I heard that voice.

It'll be a shocking waste if her career and talent disappears up her nose.
13th August 2007 05:30 PM
Gazza
quote:
jostorm wrote:
PS: and having Amy cancel only to have Starsailor open is a bit like going to the O2 in London on August 21st expecting the Stones but getting Jon Bon Jovi instead... I can imagine Gazza's face , and it's a picture... HAHAHA

Bring some sticking plasters for your ass, in that case. It'll be making way for my big toe.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)