ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Don Valley Stadium, Sheffield, 27th August 2006
© Moffitt with thanks to Moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Glasgow pre-show info tomorrow Return to archive Page: 1 2
24th August 2006 10:49 AM
Gazza If anyone is going to the Hampden gig tomorrow, the pre-show gathering appears to be at the Solid Rock Cafe on Hope Street (on the west side of Central station), where I understand they'll be playing Stones music all day.

From Glasgow central you can catch the suburban rail link out to Hampden (nearest station I believe is Mount Florida)
24th August 2006 11:15 AM
glencar Is this an arena show?
24th August 2006 11:16 AM
jb No..and by all reports, a very poor seller.
24th August 2006 11:17 AM
glencar My family has relatives in glasgow but seriously, I can see why the smarter ones left. Very dirty old town.
24th August 2006 11:25 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
My family has relatives in glasgow but seriously, I can see why the smarter ones left. Very dirty old town.

How was the atrtendance at the Twick???
24th August 2006 11:26 AM
glencar 99.9% first night. About 96% the second night which was a mucho grande show!
24th August 2006 11:28 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
99.9% first night. About 96% the second night which was a mucho grande show!

Thats pretty good..still a shame that Englands greatest band didn';t sell every ticket for their last London appearences...they have never truly been embraced by a community more in tune with James Blunt or Robbie Williams...the Stones simply are not cool and never eally have been in London or most of the Uk.
24th August 2006 11:34 AM
Gazza "last" London shows?

Hmm...they'll be playing Wembley next summer. Count on it.

The band who personified "swinging London" were "never cool" ? Interesting re-write of history. You'll be telling me next Hitler was a rabbi in his early life.
[Edited by Gazza]
24th August 2006 11:40 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
"last" London shows?

Hmm...they'll be playing Wembley next summer. Count on it.

The band who personified "swinging London" were "never cool" ? Interesting re-write of history. You'll be telling me next Hitler was a rabbi in his early life.
[Edited by Gazza]

You have heard rumors of the Millenium show next year?
24th August 2006 12:13 PM
Gazza The Millennium was six years ago, as far as I recall

But if you mean will the Stones be playing Europe next summer - yes, almost certain to happen. It's being planned for sure. And if they do and the new Wembley is ready, they'll play it - probably late summer towards the end of the tour.
[Edited by Gazza]
24th August 2006 12:15 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The Millennium was six years ago, as far as I recall

But if you mean will the Stones be playing Europe next summer - yes, almost certain to happen. It's being planned for sure. And if they do and the new Wembley is ready, they'll play it - probably late summer towards the end of the tour.
[Edited by Gazza]

yes, this is what I have been hearing as well...I hope they beat Bon Jovi, but I doubt it.
24th August 2006 12:29 PM
Gazza I wouldnt imagine Bon Jovi will be touring next summer as well.

U2 also probably wont be touring next summer either

All depends on when the stadium will be ready. At the minute it seems that it will be June 2007, which means it will miss being ready for the FA Cup final in May.

It would be great if the Stones were the first event at the new stadium, but whilst I'd imagine a June 2007 opening might mean a football international to open it, I would think that the timing would allow the Stones to quite possibly be the first musical act to play there. I understand they might prefer to leave it to August '07 to maximise the chances of it being ready and also because thats at the end of the tour. I dont get the impression there will be many acts playing next summer who are capable of filling it - as most of them have toured THIS summer (Williams, Chili Peppers, Bon Jovi) or LAST summer (U2). The only other two acts who could probably fill it are the Stones and Oasis...and I dont think Oasis will be touring behind a new record next summer as they have a greatest hits record due for release in a couple of months instead.

The main reason they didnt book it for June 2006 in order to try and be the opening act was because they werent convinced it would be ready for that time - so they booked it for August 2006 instead, but had the good sense to book Twickenham as a back-up venue too. Bon Jovi were so desperate to get the first gig there that they booked it for what was almost the first available weekend after its projected opening date - then booked a 2nd show the day BEFORE pissing off thousands of people who had bought tickets BECAUSE they thought it would be the inaugural show there. They also blew it by not booking an alternate venue and when the opening was delayed, had to relocate (as did Take That and Robbie Williams) to the Milton Keynes Bowl which is about 50 miles outside of the city and in the asshole of nowhere.

Stones 1, The Rest 0.

24th August 2006 04:00 PM
glencar I acn't imagine returning to London for more shows. Any chance they'll play Dublin? Maybe Paris again? I need to change it up.
[Edited by glencar]
24th August 2006 04:00 PM
jb wide open?
24th August 2006 04:06 PM
Gazza well, they did announce a Dublin show for this year but it got cancelled because the would-be promoters fucked it up for everyone. So, the intent was there. Certainly a possibility, I would think

Just a hunch, but I think they'll play most of the places that got cancelled this year due to Keith's injury and Mick's laryngitis, and maybe add a few others in their major markets where they reckon they COULD sell enough tickets two years in a row to justify it - London, Paris, etc. I also think they'll play Holland and Germany again.

Hopefully some of the shows will be in arenas. I dont think they could sell enough tickets for a 2-3 month stadium tour so soon after this year at those prices. problem being that while our stadiums are usually bigger than in America, our arenas tend to be much smaller.
24th August 2006 04:07 PM
jb I will come to London next summer if they play....Ireally will(unless I'm scared to fly at the time).
24th August 2006 04:07 PM
glencar You seem to get a much wider age range at your shows. Here, most seem about my age. There, it's 8 to 80.
24th August 2006 04:09 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
jb wrote:

How was the atrtendance at the Twick???

if you love the Stones so much, why do you care about attendances? Unless you're thinking of u2!
24th August 2006 04:09 PM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:
I will come to London next summer if they play....Ireally will(unless I'm scared to fly at the time).

Joshy, do Dublin instead. I could introduce you to some funny lawyers. And the Stones seem to love Dublin almost as much as London.
24th August 2006 04:10 PM
glencar
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

if you love the Stones so much, why do you care about attendances? Unless you're thinking of u2!

Well, that's not a very coherent question. It's his love of the group that causes him to worry about attendance.
24th August 2006 04:11 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
glencar wrote:
You seem to get a much wider age range at your shows. Here, most seem about my age. There, it's 8 to 80.

that'll be the Stones' cultural impact in Britain.
24th August 2006 04:11 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
You seem to get a much wider age range at your shows. Here, most seem about my age. There, it's 8 to 80.

Yep. I've noticed that too.

The lower the ticket prices, the lower the age of the audience. Stands to sense. Even though by our standards, some of those tickets were extortionate, its still a giveaway compared to what youre paying in places like New York.

When you see the Stones on the continent or South America where the prices are cheaper again, the audiences are younger again.
[Edited by Gazza]
24th August 2006 04:12 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
glencar wrote:
Well, that's not a very coherent question. It's his love of the group that causes him to worry about attendance.

excuse me?

they are still popular, its just the ticket prices turning people away!

N.B - I was reffering to criticism of UK gig attendances.
[Edited by speedfreakjive]
24th August 2006 04:13 PM
glencar Exchange rate-wise, I paid much more for London tix. They were 150 lbs. compared to $160 in NY.
jb Glencar is a good man....we had a nice breakfast in Atlanta snd I hope to see him in Louisville, AC, or somewhere.
glencar
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

excuse me?

they are still popular, its just the ticket prices turning people away!

Another non sequitir.
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

that'll be the Stones' cultural impact in Britain.

Ssssh, dont say that. Joshy wont believe ya..LOL
24th August 2006 04:15 PM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:
Glencar is a good man....we had a nice breakfast in Atlanta snd I hope to see him in Louisville, AC, or somewhere.

Joshy, I am good. Perhaps you need to come to AC. I am cutting back on shows as the travel is getting frustrating. Plus I'm buying more expensive tix.

And all should know that Joshy is a delight. I wish you'd do Chicago with the gang. LJ put a lot into the plans as did Pammy & maybe Tele & others.
24th August 2006 04:15 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
glencar wrote:
Exchange rate-wise, I paid much more for London tix. They were 150 lbs. compared to $160 in NY.

you just fucked up- that is what i'm saying dufus. In terms of wealth of nations, the UK prices are ridiculous, especially in the gigs outside of London; hence low attences are likely in places like Sheffield and Glasgow.
24th August 2006 04:16 PM
glencar
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

you just fucked up- that is what i'm saying dufus. In terms of wealth of nations, the UK prices are ridiculous, especially in the gigs outside of London; hence low attences are likely in places like Sheffield and Glasgow.

Don't call me a dufus, you stupid cocksucker!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)