ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Lynn Goldsmith
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Amsterdam ArenA, 19/8 - Setlist, pics and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2
08-19-03 06:02 PM
Gazza Thanks to Billyboll for the phone call:
setlist back up to 20 songs...

Brown sugar
You got me rocking
Dont stop
Rocks off
Wild Horses
You cant always get what you want
Paint it Black
Saint of me
Miss you
Slipping away
before they make me run
Sympathy for the Devil
Starfucker (bstage)
I just wanna make love to you (bstage)
Street fighting man (bstage)
Gimme shelter
Honky Tonk Women
Start me up
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Satisfaction (encore)

08-19-03 06:12 PM
dealer squealing ,,,,"Itīs beginning to look a lot like christm...no the Bridges to Babylon tour! just add LARS, and by the way, the Stones could just broadcast the 1998 Bremen show instead of the Amsterdam!
08-19-03 07:33 PM
Angiegirl Soooooo....just back from tonight's show, front section Ronnie's side. I don't want to get depressed, so I will just say that I thought it was the worst show ever (not all songs of course), with a nice setlist. Brown Sugar...o well...I won't even begin to mention the mess, could barely hear Keef, Mick's voice was not ok I thought, must be hell for him, he sang Saint in a very low voice, no cries or power. Even the crowd wasn't as enthusiastic as last week in Rotterdam, they should have taped that one. I can only hope they will seriously get themselves together and give a very good show tomorrow to make up for tonight. Flame me if you want, Mark, Rik and others are with me .
08-19-03 07:40 PM
mac_daddy maybe that is why the show was not broadcast at the last minute...

well, like a great sports team, they will need to prove their mettle by coming back and rocking the house another night. They have proven they can do it...

Because of this hit-or-miss pattern that is emerging, I would expect the next tour to have a show, or maybe two, each week (which means tix won't be cheap). I just think they need more time in between shows. Also this trio thing must be a pain in the ass. If they do different-sized venues next time, that would be even more of a reason to spread the shows out...
[Edited by mac_daddy]
08-19-03 08:05 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
maybe that is why the show was not broadcast at the last minute...

Huh? It wasn't supposed to be broadcasted. Stuff was recorded for DVD. Tomorrow's show will be broadcasted...
08-19-03 08:08 PM
mac_daddy maybe it is the broadcast of tomorrow's show that was cancelled - I just know the scheduled broadcast was apparently cancelled.
08-19-03 08:26 PM
Gazza Surprised they increased the number of songs if Mick's not in good voice and they havent got things together - usually if he's havin' problems they drop a song or two.

Billyboll phoned me after the show and said he thought it was a pretty good show although the sound wasnt that great (ssems to be the norm when they play the ArenA)

Angie - tomorrow's broadcast seems to be off for contractual reasons as you might read on this board and elsewhere today..are you saying its still being shown in Holland?
08-19-03 08:33 PM
Boomy Good set list. No Tumbling Dice and IORR, which I see as a positive.

As for the sound...what's new. Every show they play has some kind of sound flaw.

08-19-03 08:34 PM
rolling___bunny If u ever wanted to know what hell looks like...u should have been in the Arena tonight.

It all started with Brown Sugar. Maby they put Keith guitar too late on put proballly Keith just messed the intro AGAIN. Mick knew it because he was far later on stage then ussual! For tommorow show he should practice that intro over and over again!

Then i heard how BAD the sound. Take your worst bootleg and than take sound of this show twice as worst! In the back u could hear the sound four times. When the trompets played...u could not hear a word what Mick was singing. U basicly heard a lot of noise.

Then the funny thing of the show, Ronnie's gitair Cam on "You got me rocking". Something was wrong and when they put it on the big screen....the picture would go black in half a second. Ronnie newer knew because he playing with the his guitar and camera like an idiot. Verry funny if u ask me...

Well i can go on on on but lets do not and just give this show a name: TRASH. They really should be thinking about giving people their money back!
08-19-03 08:39 PM
Boomy WIth the way some of these reviews are coming out, it seems like going to a Stones show lately is like hit or miss, which is very discouraging.

Off nights are a norm I guess. But say you are only going to one show, unlike some of you that are going to 10+. You might not get to see a good side of them...all of that after spending the big bucks to see a good show!!!
08-19-03 09:48 PM
Madafaka Don't Stop in 3rd place? Hum... Weird...
08-20-03 03:51 AM
hayo Apperenty the broadcast on the tv will go ahead, but the broadcast of the show live on the radio (Radio 2 in Holland),is being cancelled.
The source is teletekst (which is ceefax in the UK).
08-20-03 06:31 AM
luxury1 Yeah, I think the boys are getting tired. Two shows a week next time out sounds like a good idea. That's ok. I would like to see them keep it to smaller venues of course, the tix prices would be high, but so what--i think it would be worth it. Back to their roots for this club band.
08-20-03 06:31 AM
Moonisup show sucked,
it all started with Brown sugar, that was bad. 2 new songs for Holland, and 20. Well i hope tonight is better.

Starsailor was great btw..

rik
08-20-03 07:41 AM
marko Iīm actually listening Amsterdam-1998 shows,shows were EX,
but the fucking echo is horibble at the arena!
08-20-03 07:42 AM
Maxlugar Small shows are the answer.

Face it, the big stadiums and arenas are not what these guys should be doing at their age anymore. Yeah I know the people are still going and the money is still being spent to see them but for the sake of the music and whatever reputation they still have, I'd like them to go back to the clubs and theatre's. I haven't heard about a bad one yet. Maybe they just can't hear themselves in the bigger places anymore. They're old for God sakes. That being said, I still have not been at a bad arena or stadium show myself. But the frequency of bad reviews is getting scary.
08-20-03 07:50 AM
John Wood I know that really bad sound you are talking about. I was at the Toronto SARS show and every band sounded amazing until the Stones. Their sound was without a doubt the worst I have heard live by any band. As the show went on it did improve a little but it was too late. I really wish I did not go to that show as it was the worst Stones show I have been to. Well I should not really say that as AC DC made it worth while as they blew everyone away. Now there is a band that show no signs of slowing down live.
08-20-03 03:24 PM
Gazza when you are paying the amount of money the Stones charge the least you should be able to expect is

a) GREAT sound - not bad sound or even inconsistent sound. GREAT sound. And playing a venue again where the sound was so bad in 1998 only shows thats low on their priorities compared to how many people they can cram in to the place.

b) Musicians who are capable of playing properly songs theyve played over a thousand times. The worst tribute band in the world are capable of playing the chords to "brown sugar",so for Keith Richards to botch it consistently is inexcusable. keith, if you CANT play it, drop the fucking song for something more interesting that you CAN manage the chords to.

c) A band who are all in a fit state of sobriety to perform. Might have been mildly amusing 20 years ago to see Keith or Woody louch around, now its tedious. We deserve better. I dont find much to admire in this "but the Stones are always ramshackle - its part of their image" shite. Not at these prices,it shouldnt be. Who knows, if they play sober, it might even give them more confidence to bring themselves higher in the mix too!
08-20-03 03:32 PM
MarthaMyDear Truer words have never before been spoken, Gary (but by you,
they have!!! CRACKING-UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)... So, so fricking
true!!! Take care, PEACE, and DO ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
08-20-03 04:41 PM
Child of the Moon Gazza, you're absolutely correct. This really bums me out about the Arena show, especially when the setlist was so good. But I think we fans are obligated to see a good show every time out.

Keith really worries me lately. I mean, he's been flubbing the words to "Happy" for years, but... when the cat can't even get "Brown Sugar" right, something is WRONG. Mick and Charlie seem to be carrying this band lately, and now that Mick is a bit under the weather...

I just don't even wanna think about this. I'm just going to delude myself into thinking this was a great show, that I never read any bad reviews of it. That'll work, right?
08-20-03 04:47 PM
Gazza >I just don't even wanna think about this. I'm just going to delude myself into thinking this was a great show, that I never read any bad reviews of it. That'll work, right?

Sir Stonesalot tried that "deny it happened" thing with the Justin Trousersnake duet, but unfortunately the "truth is out there.." on videotape
08-20-03 09:02 PM
Highwire Rob How much of this "sound" problem rests with pre-show/stage crew and engineers? Or is the problem (other than the one's already mentioned) that the band is not giving immediate adjustment directives to their sound engineers?
08-20-03 10:35 PM
kahoosier Ahhh Gazza, I have said so often the same things that you have, here, and more often at IORR. Their Audience is older, better off, more demanding, and quite likely more sober than ever in their history. How many of us would appreciate this behavior in a partner, a spouse, or even a c0-worker? I do not care what they do after hours, but while on stage, we are paying them to be PROFESSIONAL musicians.
08-21-03 10:57 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat My review is a bit late, cos I have been away from home for a few days, so here we go:

I went to the ArenA with no expectations after the best gig ever at Vredenburg. We all know by know that the stadium shows are not the thing for us fans. But what I saw on stage was far more disappointing than I could imagine. Usually, sound is awefull in the ArenA; wasn't too bad last tuesday tho, at least not in the front section.
But the Stones completly fucked up. I held my hands in front of my face during the intro of Brown Sugar. How on earth is it possible to fuck up a song you've written yourself and played live at least 1000 times. Keith was far to late on stage after the intro-music-thing and he started by forgetting to put his guitar on. That must have been a sign, cos they never got into it after that.

I'm not going to spent any more words on this show. I have to admit, that I wasn't that disappointed about them cancelling the second ArenA show. Some time ago, Mathijs stated that he would never go to a stadium show. I'm understanding him more and more. I'm not sure yet if I will go to the rescheduled gig, but my Werchter tick is for sale. Anyone???
08-21-03 11:12 AM
Moonisup good thing about the show was, hmmmm the ending? hahahahaha
I wanted to get out early to see them arrive at the amstel with a friend of mine, and what happend: They didn't let us out of the fos-section!!!!! Suckers! he said: The show ain't over, look. The dickhead!
08-21-03 11:50 AM
Starfucker I'm affraid to ask, but did someone record the show. I'd like to "surprise" my girlfiend.
08-21-03 01:18 PM
Boomy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
when you are paying the amount of money the Stones charge the least you should be able to expect is

a) GREAT sound - not bad sound or even inconsistent sound. GREAT sound. And playing a venue again where the sound was so bad in 1998 only shows thats low on their priorities compared to how many people they can cram in to the place.

b) Musicians who are capable of playing properly songs theyve played over a thousand times. The worst tribute band in the world are capable of playing the chords to "brown sugar",so for Keith Richards to botch it consistently is inexcusable. keith, if you CANT play it, drop the fucking song for something more interesting that you CAN manage the chords to.

c) A band who are all in a fit state of sobriety to perform. Might have been mildly amusing 20 years ago to see Keith or Woody louch around, now its tedious. We deserve better. I dont find much to admire in this "but the Stones are always ramshackle - its part of their image" shite. Not at these prices,it shouldnt be. Who knows, if they play sober, it might even give them more confidence to bring themselves higher in the mix too!

My thoughts exactly. I hate the attitude some people have "We are sooooooo lucky to see this, so shut up and enjoy" . That's BS (bullshit, not Brown Sugar).

I saw a hell of a show in Chicago, although I thought the crowd was horrible. But what about the person that saw a bad show, and it was the only one they went to? They shouldn't be fucking up their own songs, especially one they've played every show since 1971. I guess I was lucky to see them on a good night.

[Edited by Boomy]
08-21-03 01:44 PM
macawber its getting really bad,i just wish this tour would get over before the band ends up completely ruining their reputation.

i'm totally sick of blaming chuck leavell,the sound crew,a member of the backsteet boys,cheryl crow etc etc.
lets just admit it- keith can't play and the sound guys are turning the keyboards and horns up to cover it in the mix.
the band has their act so tight that they can cover up a lot of shit but i'm beginning to really worry about keith.
08-21-03 02:02 PM
Boomy Well, I have trouble with people saying it's the sound crew.

I don't think the Stones just hire "Phil's Sound and Stuff" to do the shows. Especially with how Keith has that "Nobody Fucks with the Rolling Stones" attitude he supposedly has. They would have fired the crew if the crew was fucking up.

And when someone says it's all Michael Cohl's fault........oh, don't get me started!
[Edited by Boomy]
08-21-03 02:24 PM
macawber i agree- that michael cohl thing is some serious denial.
they actually think this guy forces the stones to charge their fans big money for tickets.
then they go to jagger-as if mick is the only one who signs off on the deal and charlie and keith work for union scale.
i even saw a guy on stonesdougs site who said cohl caused the justin timberlake incident!!!

Page: 1 2