ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Lynn Goldsmith
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Amsterdam ArenA, 19/8 - Setlist, pics and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2
08-21-03 03:01 PM
hotlicks Now i'm back to worry time again!!
08-21-03 04:13 PM
Starfucker The sound is ALWAYS crap in the Amsterdam ArenA!
08-21-03 07:31 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Starfucker wrote:
The sound is ALWAYS crap in the Amsterdam ArenA!

Yes, but I must say it always depends on where you are in the stadium. Because last week in the Rotterdam Stadium (1st show) we were at the B-stage and the sound was much worse than in the Arena 2 days ago. So, don't read too much into it. Sound in Ahoy wasn't great also. It's the concrete you know.
08-22-03 05:04 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat I wonder what the ArenA sounds like with the roof open.
08-22-03 06:30 AM
FotiniD I'm not one to say that we should idolize and worship a band or say that a band is perfect ignoring all the faults and problems, BUT...

It's one thing to be objective and another thing to be whinning and condemning a 40-year-old band because of ONE bad night. So what if they had one or two or even three bad nights? Are you guys even grasping the idea that they've been on the road practically non-stop for almost a year now? Does anyone recall their ages? Or the fact that the majority of the gigs were great, despite some bad nights that every band is entitled too? Let's see you singing or playing guitar or drums when you're 60! How about that?

I understand that the Stones have set high expectations but stop expecting from a band to play spotlessly great and 100% at its best every single night - it's not a human thing to ask. They're not a bloody tape recorder, they're people! Entitled to the mistakes they make, ok. Let's not crucify them for one bad night and start the "we want our money back" thing, ignoring all the great gigs of this tour. It's insane!

Not to mention I'm beginning to get really annoyed by the snobbish attitude of certain people, and I'm not the only one. The Stones are still live and have not turned themselves into a nostalgia act or splattering endless "reunion" tours for the jolly of fans. If some folks can't appreciate that and seem intend to pinpoint only the faults, well, do as you like but PLEASE, drop the "expert" attitude, it's becoming silly.
08-22-03 12:04 PM
Angiegirl Getting tired of that. See Tell Me MB for my reactions.
08-22-03 12:21 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Hear hear Angie.
08-22-03 12:23 PM
purrcafe Just got in from Amsterdam where I also saw the Arena show. I may not be as harsh in my assessment as some of you. There is absolutely no doubt that the sound positively sucked. Maybe it is better for those directly in front of the stage, but we were fairly close on the side, seated, and it was atrocious. I've never heard worse sound at a show by anyone! I couldn't tell whether Keith fucked the intro to Brown Sugar up or if the sound was so awful we just had no idea what was being played.

All that said, I was glad to have gone. I saw Roseland and MSG last summer and with this show I got to hear some stuff that wasn't done here in NY - I Just Want to Make Love to You, You Can't Always Get What You Want, and Gimmie Shelter specifically. Say what you will, but all in all, it's been a good year of Stones music!
08-22-03 12:59 PM
Boomy Ya know. I think that for 60 year old guys, it's great what they are doing. They are still playing and people are enjoying it.

But what's up with others telling people what and what not to do? In fact, I find when people tell others what to do and not allow others to express an opionion on these concerts without being told to "shut up", they have problems and are very demanding to other people.

Please stop telling people to criticize a concert they paid good money to see. Geez, we all love the Rolling Stones, but do you want people to lie and always say "Keith was fantastic!!" and "Oh my god, I had an orgasm during the intro to Brown Sugar!!" if they had a bad night?

Finally, I find it rather amusing when people make excuses. When people delve into "they are 60, they aren't young, they can't be good every night..etc", it's as if they are saying that the Stones should retire. I know they are 60, I know they've been touring for a year now, but so what? Are you saying it's all about luck now, that you have to be at the right concert when they are right on? Those arguments make no sense. I don't think they should retire, but I think they are open to criticism, especially by die-hard fans that like to observe them and analyze their shows. And it should be fun, but it's hard to have fun when you know something just doesn't seem right.
08-22-03 01:43 PM
Angiegirl Agreed Boomy. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And each show is experienced differently by different people, even by different die-hard fans. That's also the charm of it, we all pay attention to and hear other details in a show. And I can imagine it's not nice to read a negative review if you had a great time that night. That's life. But we can all express our opinions, that's what I like about Rocks Off, it's the only MB where the discussions are sensible, instaed of bashing each other for having other opinions. I hope RO will stay that way.

I just think the Stones should have thought beforehand if they were up to this kind of a tour. They tried by adding arenas and clubs, but apparently it's not enough, they are still worn out. I would be too if I was 60 but I don't see that as an excuse. It's a job, and if I'm not satisfied as a customer I complain. That's normal business. Even if i'm a fan and I love them dearly. They have to do as many stadiums, otherwise they won't make money, but loose money, maybe that's the problem.

I never said I think this whole tour sucks, it doesn't. I never said I'm an expert, I just write a review of the show the way I personally saw and experienced it. There have been great shows, they have done their best with changing setlists etc. I love them for that. Vredenburg, Olympia, Bercy and Prague were very good shows for me, they surprised me and I had a great time, felt the warmth for them all through my body. I say that. And I also say it when a show is bad and embarrasing like Amsterdam. I paid 90 euros for that show. And don't say 'if you think they suck, don't go' because you never know that they are going to suck that night before you buy your ticket.

I am optimistic for London and Dublin, I remain optimistic because I know they can still pull it of, look at Vredenburg. i'm not bitter or depressed, I just think Amsterdam was a disrespectful show for me and I say so. I'm positive I will have the time of my life next month in Dublin and London, because they are still professionals and my heroes on top of that, so I trust them.
But Mark and I sold our Werchter/Belgium tix: indeed, the stadium shows were generally not good in my opinion, so we won't go to these large shows anymore. Everybody happy.
08-22-03 02:15 PM
macawber GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK-
the poor stones are having such a hard time staying on the road for a whole year.they will be forced to take their private jet to a city and then get into a limo that will take them to a luxury hotel.
all their equipment and bags will be moved by other people of course,so all they have to do is show up.
i saw B.B. KING at the house of blues a couple years ago.
B.B. was 75 years old at the time and travelling in his tour bus to the 250 gigs he does EVERY YEAR.
the sound of his show was flawless,the guitars, horns ,back-up singers were all perfect in the mix.
i think i paid around $40 for a ticket.
the stones have never had any problem asking for outrageous amounts of money from their fans.if they want to treat it like a business so should we-you deliver,we pay.you don't deliver,adios.
08-22-03 04:46 PM
FotiniD Angie, I never said one should not express their opinions, I think I made that one clear. What I'm getting tired of is certain people's snobbish attitude, that's turning one bad night to a massive "how-can-they-be-so-horrible" thread. This was one bad night. I think things got a little bit out of hand and exaggerated by many wannabe critics on this and other boards. Nothing wrong with stating disappointment, I agree with you! But that's so different from the attitude expressed in so many posts, and just for the record, I wasn't referring on your posts.

All I'm saying, is give the guys a break. It doesn't have to do with retiring or anything - most "young" bands have many terrible gigs, it's just got to do with the amount of time they spend on the road, and if anyone thinks that's an easy piece of business just cause they got big hotels and big cars, well, what can I say... I'm not saying that they're having the worst jobs on earth, but heck, it's a demanding one. So let them have one bad night! Like I said, it proves they're human beings and not tape recorders. Now, if the majority of their gigs sucked, then we'd be having a problem. But judging by previous reviews and my own experience, I wouldn't say that.
Page: 1 2