ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

B- Stage @ Skydome- Toronto, April 26, 1998
By our friend Thierry "Anybody Seen My Website?" Joubaud ...Merci!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tracklist for 40 LICKS! Return to archive Page: 1 2
08-19-02 11:42 PM
KeepRigid Some of these are legitimate protests (Little Red Rooster; Waiting on a Friend; etc.)...but mostly we're just being silly, aren't we?

At any rate, I'm sure Keith had to confer with Solomon on this one.
08-19-02 11:57 PM
Shattered So the "Dirty Work" album is not represented at all. I don't think that's right, especially since "Harlem Shuffle" peaked at #5. (not #8).
"Rock & a Hard Place" == what a GREAT song! How can anybody not like that one.
"Thru & Thru" should have been left off the tape, if they really had to omit a song. Not "Mean Disposition"!!!
08-20-02 12:08 AM
prism Keith does not hate Emotional Rescue! In fact he wrote most of the lyrics. And Losing My Touch is about a person he calls "Touch", a long-time fan who moved far away.
08-20-02 12:24 AM
Prodigal Son Yeah, Tattoo You is strong all the way through. Some songs are average like Heaven and Slave, but the rest is awesome. I just noticed Mick uses his reknowned falsetto on all but three tracks on TY ("Start Me up," "Little T&A," "Black Limousine"), "Hang Fire" and "No Use in Crying" feature it in the background vocals. Geez, Mick's tight pants in those days did a lot for his Barry Gibb period of singing from 1973-81.
08-20-02 12:27 AM
littleredrooster Little Red Rooster is crestfallen!!
Not being included in 40 Licks.

Where's that 3rd CD ???
Tell Me?
08-20-02 12:55 AM
gypsy KeepRigid is like an encyclopedia!
08-20-02 01:21 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
Disc 1

Street Fighting Man
Gimme Shelter
Satisfaction
The Last Time
Jumpin Jack Flash
You Can't Always Get What you Want
19th Nervous Breakdown
Under My Thumb
Not Fade Away
Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby
Sympathy For The Devil
Mother's Little Helper
She's a Rainbow
Get Off My Cloud
Wild Horses
Ruby Tuesday
Paint It Black
Honky Tonk Women
It's All Over Now
Let's Spend The Night Together
Disc 2

Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Miss You
Beast Of Burden
Don't Stop
Happy
Angie
You Got Me Rocking
Shattered
Fool To Cry
Love Is Strong
Mixed Emotions
Keys To Your Love
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Stealing My Heart
Tumbling Dice
Undercover of the Night
Emotional Rescue
It's Only Rock 'n Roll
Losing My Touch

(courtesy IORR)

And there we is! Let the bitching begin!

-tSYX --- Lethal injection's a luxury...

....(It's a resonably good selection of songs, but this is just a thought- maybe they could've given us the extended versions of some of the latter tracks, ie : 'Undercover Of The Night', which I think out-guns the original album version. As a matter of fact I think a collection of just extended versions from 'Miss You' onward would sell quite well; as I say just a thought!
08-20-02 04:58 AM
Mathijs Most non-Stones fans already have one of these in their collection:

Hot Rocks 1
Hot Rocks 2
More Hot Rocks 1
More Hot Rocks 2
Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)
Through The Past, Darkly
Made in the Shade
Time Waits for No One
Rewind (three versions)
Sucking in the 70's
The Singles Collection (3 CD's)
Jump Back

Also, Flash Point was quite a big seller and in a way that's also a best of. And probably I am forgetting some releases too, like all the vinyl releases like Rock 'N Rolling Stone, Rolled Gold, Stones Story 1, 2, 3, and the numurous Arcade releases (Big in Holland and France for example).

So in total we have 15 discs with compilations of "the best" (whatever that maybe). Why should we even care to be bothered by yet ANOTHER best-of release? Why should we even discus what's on it and what not? Let's just enjoy the new tour and forget about this release, just as we did in 1975 with Made in The Shade.

Mathijs
08-20-02 05:09 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
Most non-Stones fans already have one of these in their collection:

Hot Rocks 1
Hot Rocks 2
More Hot Rocks 1
More Hot Rocks 2
Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)
Through The Past, Darkly
Made in the Shade
Time Waits for No One
Rewind (three versions)
Sucking in the 70's
The Singles Collection (3 CD's)
Jump Back

Also, Flash Point was quite a big seller and in a way that's also a best of. And probably I am forgetting some releases too, like all the vinyl releases like Rock 'N Rolling Stone, Rolled Gold, Stones Story 1, 2, 3, and the numurous Arcade releases (Big in Holland and France for example).

So in total we have 15 discs with compilations of "the best" (whatever that maybe). Why should we even care to be bothered by yet ANOTHER best-of release? Why should we even discus what's on it and what not? Let's just enjoy the new tour and forget about this release, just as we did in 1975 with Made in The Shade.

Mathijs

....Well you know up to a point I agree with you on this, but the mere mention that it maybe supurfluous to the needs of REAL fans,(the new songs hopefully excluded), seems to send some people into epileptic fits. I guess it's a classic case of; damned if you do, damned if you don't- Go figure.
08-20-02 09:38 AM
Sir Stonesalot There has never been a compilation like this one. All of the GH packages to date have only covered a relatively limited period of Stones time. You can't even get a bunch of those greatest hits releases on CD. Made In The Shade, Sucking In The 70s, Rewind, Time Waits are long out of print...and I haven't seen More Hot Rocks or Thru The Past Darkly on CD either. They might exist, but I've never seen them.

The other thing that makes this a worthwhile release is that the ABKCO stuff is supposedly cleaned up sonics-wise. The Singles Collection sounds like shit. I swear you can hear vinyl pops and crackles on some of those songs! That's one of the reasons that I like those Mickboy remasters so much. They just sound so muck better than the official releases. So I can't wait to hear this stuff sounding better. These songs deserve to be heard cleanly.

Then, of course, we have the matter of 4 new songs. This is reason enough for me to buy it. New Stones songs, I'm so there.

See, no name calling. You have your opinion, and I have the right one. If you don't want 40 Licks, simply don't buy it. Why blather on about it endlessly? I just stated several reasons why "real" fans might want this release. All very valid reasons. For the life of me, I can't understand why this is so hard to comprehend.
08-20-02 11:13 AM
The Worst
quote:
Shattered wrote:
"Rock & a Hard Place" == what a GREAT song! How can anybody not like that one.

While I don't hate R&AHP, it sounds like the kind of political song for the radio without a real message. Blinded By Rainbows is a similiar song, also considering, that both songs include similiar solos by Ronnie.
I think, that Mixed Emotions is commercial too. At least, hearing that song on the radio made me buy the Steel Wheels album.
08-20-02 11:19 AM
The Worst
quote:
prism wrote:
Keith does not hate Emotional Rescue!

Here I have a Keith-quote from 1997: "Undercover Of The Night, Emotional Rescue, these are all Mick's calculations about the market. And they're not the best records we've made. See, Mick listens to too much bad shit."
08-20-02 11:24 AM
The Worst
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
Some songs are average like Heaven and Slave, but the rest is awesome.

I think, that Heaven is far from average for the Stones- very virtuous and a good song to relax. One of the best Stones-songs without Keith and the best Stones-song from the Ronnie era but without Ronnie.
08-20-02 11:28 AM
Jumacfly yes, and Slave IMO is also a great one, love the intro and the bass line.
one of these "obscure "songs i d like to hear on stage...instead of miss you , for example...
08-20-02 11:35 AM
The Worst
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
yes, and Slave IMO is also a great one, love the intro and the bass line.
one of these "obscure "songs i d like to hear on stage...instead of miss you , for example...

I agree, Slave is great, like all Tattoo You songs are. Unlike many others, I would still like to hear Miss You onstage, too.
08-20-02 11:58 AM
The Worst
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Made In The Shade, Sucking In The 70s, Rewind, Time Waits are long out of print...and I haven't seen More Hot Rocks or Thru The Past Darkly on CD either.

As most stuff on them can also be found elsewhere in the Stones catalogue, the only ones of those compilations I have are the Singles Collection, More Hot Rocks and Sucking In The Seventies (and if I wouldn't have the latter, I wouldn't miss it).
To your information, Thru The Past Darkly exists on CDs.
I would even recommend More Hot Rocks to non-completists: Beautiful song selection, and "I Can't Be Satisfied", which can't be found on another official CD, is great.
08-20-02 02:29 PM
gypsy Thanks for that definition of bonus track, KeepRigid! You ROCK!
08-20-02 02:53 PM
Stray Cat Maybe it should have been a 3 cd set after all. At a budget price to avoid putting off the casual buyers ? 60 LICKS anyone?
08-20-02 05:00 PM
quackenbush It is difficult to argue with the tracks chosen on disc one
of Forty Licks but the second disc is a real disappointment.

Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Miss You
Beast Of Burden
Don't Stop
Happy
Angie
You Got Me Rocking
Shattered
Fool To Cry
Love Is Strong
Mixed Emotions
Keys To Your Love
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Stealing My Heart
Tumbling Dice
Undercover of the Night
Emotional Rescue
It's Only Rock 'n Roll
Losing My Touch

I would have chosen Memory Motel rather than Fool to Cry; Thru and Thru instead of Love is Strong; Continental Drift instead of Mixed Emotions; Slave instead of Start Me Up; Out of Control instead of Anybody Seen My Baby. Jump on Top of Me should also have been added to the album because it
is such a groovy country song.
08-20-02 05:15 PM
The Worst I think, that ASMB was the best single and one of the best songs from Bridges.
08-20-02 11:21 PM
Prodigal Son Hey the Worst, also "Child of th Moon" is unavailable elsewhere. Same goes for stuff off their 1964 EP, plus "Long Long While," only a UK b-side to "Paint it Black." As for the song selection, it's expected material. But to really make a comprehensive Stones hits collection you'd need to make a triple CD or a four-CD box set. But we know Keef thinks those are for dead/disbanded artists/bands/. I do think on disc 2 they should've had no ER, ASMB, Shattered, UOTN and FTC and replaced that with, on the respective same albums, "She's So Cold," "Saint of Me," "Before They Make Me Run," "She was Hot," and "Crazy Mama" (which I prefer to "Hot Stuff") plus where is "Waiting on a Friend"? But disc 1 is too essential to change. Maybe "Time is on My Side" instead of "It's All Over Now," just because it's a little greater.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
08-21-02 01:45 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
There has never been a compilation like this one. All of the GH packages to date have only covered a relatively limited period of Stones time. You can't even get a bunch of those greatest hits releases on CD. Made In The Shade, Sucking In The 70s, Rewind, Time Waits are long out of print...and I haven't seen More Hot Rocks or Thru The Past Darkly on CD either. They might exist, but I've never seen them.

The other thing that makes this a worthwhile release is that the ABKCO stuff is supposedly cleaned up sonics-wise. The Singles Collection sounds like shit. I swear you can hear vinyl pops and crackles on some of those songs! That's one of the reasons that I like those Mickboy remasters so much. They just sound so muck better than the official releases. So I can't wait to hear this stuff sounding better. These songs deserve to be heard cleanly.

Then, of course, we have the matter of 4 new songs. This is reason enough for me to buy it. New Stones songs, I'm so there.

See, no name calling. You have your opinion, and I have the right one. If you don't want 40 Licks, simply don't buy it. Why blather on about it endlessly? I just stated several reasons why "real" fans might want this release. All very valid reasons. For the life of me, I can't understand why this is so hard to comprehend.

....I do understand that you find it a worthy release, as you imply, each to thier own. And I agree that alot of the previous back catalogue releases on the CD format were bad, especially those released in '86; 'Sticky Fingers'the CBS re-release is atrocious. I'm just annoyed that when I have so many compilations on both record & CD that I have to buy yet another anthology to get any new songs.....By the way you still can get 'More Hot Rocks'& 'Through The Past' on CD.
08-21-02 04:34 AM
Mathijs Sir Stonesalot, where do you buy your CD's? Maybe you should look a bit further than the next stateway outlet!
Made In The Shade, Sucking In The 70's, Rewind, Time Waits fo No One are indeed out of print (but not that long), but are quite easy to find in an average CD shop. Don't go to the big outlets or CDNow's of this world, but any independant CD shop should be able to come up with any of these CD's for about US$5.

More Hot Rocks (Big Hits and Fazed Cookies) 1 and 2 and Through The Past, Darkly has been released in two formats in Japan and Europe, but could be harder to find in the US.
Through The Past exists in both the original UK set list, but this CD is very very rare as it was only available in Japan. However, on www.ebay.com you should be able to find it within a week.

More Hot Rocks was an essential release as it featured many songs in stereo, and it was the only way to get some songs (like Bye Bye Johnnie) on CD.

Mathijs

08-21-02 08:57 AM
Sir Stonesalot SS don't shop at no stinkin' WalMart dude!

I frequent 3 different idependent CD shops in a college town. None of them have ever had any of the titles I mentioned. I have seen Made and Sucking for sale on eBay...for about $25.00 each...no thank you.

Where's Nasty Habits at...he has a record store...he can tell us all about availability on CD

I do own most of those titles on vinyl...but my record player is broken.

The other thing to consider is that this release isn't really intended for people like you and me...this is a mass consumption item. It's for the casual fan. The Stones make far more money from the casual fan than they do from people like us. I'll bet all of us "hard core" fans don't even make up 10% of the Stones total sales.

The four new songs...Keith explained why they did them. You can believe him or not, I don't care.

We will get our new album, just not right now. i also understand that you are into the boots and stuff, as I am. I would like to see the vaults opened as well....but don't hold your breath. When that stuff gets released, there will be no more Rolling Stones.
08-21-02 08:58 AM
The Worst Prodigal Son wrote:
Hey the Worst, also "Child of th Moon" is unavailable elsewhere. Same goes for stuff off their 1964 EP, plus "Long Long While," only a UK b-side to "Paint it Black."

Hi Prodigal Son! Child Of The Moon and Long Long While are great and can also be found on "The Rolling Stones Singles Collection (The London Years)"

I do think on disc 2 they should've had no ER, ASMB, Shattered, UOTN and FTC and replaced that with, on the respective same albums, "She's So Cold," "Saint of Me," "Before They Make Me Run," "She was Hot," and "Crazy Mama" (which I prefer to "Hot Stuff")

I think, that Emotional Rescue is a much better song than She's So Cold. I would like to hear Faraway Eyes (again a much better song) instead of Shattered and Hot Stuff instead of Fool To Cry. It wouldn't need any Undercover songs, as the album is one of the worst and Dirty Work isn't represented with a song either. However, She Was Hot is ok, although not great.
08-22-02 11:52 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Well I'm back at the keyboard (live from Amsterdam!), and after listening to both Undercover and Black And Blue this morning as well as thinking, I've decided that, yes, this is a *greatest hits* collection, not *songs that many diehard fans like but not the mainstreamers* collection. "Heartbreaker" is off because... urmm... the lyrics aren't exactly politically correct these days, shall we say (no more badmouthing the antics of the NYPD! They're *American* antics!). I know it probably *should* have been on there as a 'hit', but I really hate "Harlem Shuffle", so I'm glad it's not. I used to really hate "Undercover Of The Night"... now I rather like it, but think it could use a less 80s bass line, no organ, and louder guitars. I'm mortified about "Emotional Rescue" - they've got their famous disco song on there! Why this tripe? Was it a 'hit', though? Yes... sigh... there's no accounting for some people's tastes.

Where's "Little Red Rooster"?
Where's "Time Is On My Side"?

I think they don't want too many covers on the albums - as many Stones-written numbers as possible. That's why no "Harlem Shuffle".

The clunker "Anybody Seen My Baby?" If you want to talk 'hits' from Bridges (and there were, technichally, none), "Saint Of Me" has the most original Stones sound to it, sounds like the Stones without sounding tired, I believe allmusic.com said. If they're including this, one wonders what the new songs sound like... *gasp!*

-tSYX --- Ya mooooooooooooooooove it to the left...
08-22-02 03:22 PM
Boomhauer Well, sometimes when I'm driving in my car and I'm not listening to the radio, I'll just start singing "YEah, yeah, yeah, do the Harlem Shuffle......yeahhhhhhhhhhh, like yo mutha told ya how-o-wow-o-wow!" I love that damn song.

But you know, "It's all over now" is not their song, so I don't really think they were going for "oh, we didn't write that, so we aren't putting it on the album." They probably just don't even care about Harlem shuffle because it's off Dirty Work, an album THEY wish they never made (I like it).

BTW, has anybody seen this track list mentioned at any other sites besides IORR? Don't you think launch.com or billboard would have put this up already? Maybe that really isn't the final track list......
Page: 1 2

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road