ROCKS OFF - The Gazza Appreciation Society Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

With some hardcore groupies in London!
The O² Arena, London, August 2007
© Annie Leibovitz!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Gazza Appreciation Society Forum
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sorry Elvis is still King Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
12th August 2007 08:51 PM
Kilroy Sorry Mick Elvis is still the King
12th August 2007 09:45 PM
Wide As The Clyde Too true. Bob Dylan and The Velvet Underground and The Doors and all those also rans just wanted to piss about with music.

None of 'em were as famous as Elvis.
12th August 2007 10:21 PM
the good
quote:
Kilroy wrote:
Sorry Mick Elvis is still the King

Mick is a bigger talent than Elvis.
13th August 2007 12:18 AM
oldkr actually BB King is the KING! saw him 2 nights ago with al green and little richard- one of the best shows ive ever seen.

OLDKR
13th August 2007 12:47 AM
mojoman elvis was the king but micks sitting on his throne now
13th August 2007 01:49 AM
pdog It took Mick alot longer to go all Vegas and shit.
13th August 2007 06:11 AM
mrhipfl
quote:
oldkr wrote:
actually BB King is the KING! saw him 2 nights ago with al green and little richard- one of the best shows ive ever seen.

OLDKR

YES! I saw him a little more than a year ago and he was amazing. His guitar tone is unparalleled and he still has a voice straight from hell. Plus, his stories and jokes are funny as hell.
13th August 2007 07:15 AM
corgi37 Elvis was a the victim of incest.

And a tosser.
13th August 2007 08:38 AM
Mr Jurkka I never thinked it that way that mick would be the king? He's like God of rock n' roll
13th August 2007 10:14 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Elvis, Priscilla, martial arts and me
by Chuck Norris
Posted: August 13, 2007
WND

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=57122

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
13th August 2007 10:17 AM
gimmekeef Elvis died on a toilet...Mick has risen to a greater throne....
13th August 2007 10:48 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Elvis died on a toilet...Mick has risen to a greater throne....

Maybe ... but I don't think Mick has ever met Chuck Norris.
13th August 2007 10:52 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Maybe ... but I don't think Mick has ever met Chuck Norris.

Or smarmed around with Tricky Dick either........
13th August 2007 12:06 PM
mojoman
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Or smarmed around with Tricky Dick either........

what about BJ Bill?
13th August 2007 12:15 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
mojoman wrote:

what about BJ Bill?

LOL...You dont buy that blue dress crap do you?...That dress was an earlier take on the WMD's.......
13th August 2007 12:18 PM
mojoman
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

LOL...You dont buy that blue dress crap do you?...That dress was an earlier take on the WMD's.......

Willie Means Delight?
14th August 2007 03:10 PM
Juha I thought Bob Wills is still the king
14th August 2007 03:42 PM
mojoman The king is gone but he's not forgotten
15th August 2007 12:04 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I love Elvis and all that.
I still think he's the King and all that.

But sometimes the media hype turns me off, this month especially.
15th August 2007 12:14 PM
steel driving hammer

Let me explain. Sure, I understand Elvis' historical significance. He came along at a time when popular music meant Patti Page and Perry Como, and his (then) new-fangled fusion of country and R&B effectively introduced what would become known as rock & roll to mainstream America. A lot of his early records are still exciting (thanks largely to the great sidemen he had playing with him). Props are due.

But my problem with Elvis has always been the absurd degree to which this guy -- the bulk of whose post-'50s career was, by most yardsticks, an extended embarrassment -- has been lionized. Jeez, the cat didn't even write his own songs, and he barely played guitar, pioneering the use of that instrument as pure prop. Stacked up against his contemporaries -- Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis -- Elvis falls short in terms of both artistry and creativity.

The '50s Elvis experience
Of course, I wasn't around in the mid-'50s when Elvis made his first impact. I've been told it was one of those you-had-to-be-there experiences. People whose adolescence coincided with Presley's rise swear that seeing and hearing him was a heavier, more profound epiphany than those afforded by the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, Jimi at Monterey, the Ramones at CBGB, or Nirvana on Top Forty radio. More to the point, they argue, there was no precedent for Presley, so the shock of the new was all that much more dramatic and life-changing.

Again, I understand the argument. But my exposure to Presley was mostly seeing him ''act'' in a series of REALLY bad movies, or catching snatches of his Vegas-styled performances on the tube. By the time I fell in love with rock & roll in the late '60s, Elvis seemed like a joke -- a relic from another era who inexplicably still held onto the title of ''the King.'' Occasionally, he'd come up with a halfway decent song -- ''In the Ghetto,'' say, or ''Suspicious Minds'' -- but they seemed to have almost no link to rock music as I understood it.

I always wanted to give Elvis the benefit of the doubt, mostly because lots of musicians I admired sang his praises. But I remain resolutely unconvinced of his putative status as the Be All and End All of Rock & Roll Cool. In my book, anyone who waltzed around in a sequined leisure suit was uncool by definition.

Elvis Society's S-List
Eventually, my feelings hardened into... well, distaste is the only word. It got so bad that I remember silently cheering the Sex Pistols' Johnny Rotten when he responded to news of Presley's death with the words, ''Good riddance to bad rubbish.''

Okay, now I've gone and done it: I've earned myself a permanent spot on the Elvis Presley Appreciation Society's S-List. Yet I suspect I'm not alone in my feelings. I've talked to others who agree with my contention that Chuck Berry has far more right to claim the title of ''King of Rock & Roll'' than Elvis the Pelvis.

15th August 2007 12:19 PM
steel driving hammer Even Johnny Caish made fun of Pelvis!

15th August 2007 12:24 PM
gimmekeef I think after the Brit Invasion....Americans and the media here promoted Elvis as King from the patriotic aspect of things...just a thought...
15th August 2007 06:16 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:

Okay, now I've gone and done it: I've earned myself a permanent spot on the Elvis Presley Appreciation Society's S-List.

you sicken me
15th August 2007 06:38 PM
Kilroy
Okay, now I've gone and done it: I've earned myself a permanent spot on the Elvis Presley Appreciation Society's S-List.

[/quote]
YOU ARE FORGIVEN MY SON.
ELVIS ROCKS.
16th August 2007 10:09 AM
Martha There are 3 Kings according to Bob Dylan. B.B., Freddie, and Albert.

OldKR you've got me rethinking. I should try to make it to Red Rocks when B.B. plays there the end of August. Is Little Richard with the tour or did he guest?

xxoo,
MM

PS Elvis is still the King in my book. ;-)
16th August 2007 10:37 AM
Gazza
quote:
Martha wrote:
There are 3 Kings according to Bob Dylan. B.B., Freddie, and Albert.

Hah!

Bob's 'went to see the Gypsy' is written about Elvis, and he even admits that when he heard Elvis died he broke down completely and was so affected by it he couldnt talk to anyone for a month....

When Elvis recorded 'Tomorrow is a long time' (5 years before Dylan's own version was released), Dylan said that the fact that Elvis covered one of his compositions was the greatest moment of his career.

PS - there are 3 kings in the sleevenotes to John Wesley Harding
[Edited by Gazza]
16th August 2007 12:49 PM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Hah!

Bob's 'went to see the Gypsy' is written about Elvis, and he even admits that when he heard Elvis died he broke down completely and was so affected by it he couldnt talk to anyone for a month....

When Elvis recorded 'Tomorrow is a long time' (5 years before Dylan's own version was released), Dylan said that the fact that Elvis covered one of his compositions was the greatest moment of his career.

PS - there are 3 kings in the sleevenotes to John Wesley Harding
[Edited by Gazza]

I didn't know this Gazza, thanks. I am going to look at the sleevenotes now!

16th August 2007 02:07 PM
oldkr little richard filled etta jame's spot on the tour- he played about 20 minutes out of the hour the rest of the time he walked around the stage waving at the audience.

OLDKR
PS elvis is shit- his impact was huge but his musical output is shit. Great songs terrible versions.
[Edited by oldkr]
16th August 2007 02:21 PM
guitarman53 Elvis has influenced a lot of rock greats, including Dylan, Jagger admits the same thing, like John Lennon said "Before Elvis there was nobody" even though I loved Chuck Berry better, there was no way rock 'N' roll was going be heard by black artists, not to make it mainstream, on radio's, it had to take a good looking southern boy to make rock 'N' roll heard, because he was white, young people don't realize what the south was like back in the 50's, & even into the 60's, they don't have a clue & that's the truth.
[Edited by guitarman53]
16th August 2007 02:24 PM
Martha
quote:
oldkr wrote:
little richard filled etta jame's spot on the tour- he played about 20 minutes out of the hour the rest of the time he walked around the stage waving at the audience.

OLDKR
PS elvis is shit- his impact was huge but his musical output is shit. Great songs terrible versions.
[Edited by oldkr]

Oh I didn't know he was now with the tour. Thanks.

Have you ever been to Graceland? Walking through and seeing all his gold albums is pretty overwhelming.

MM
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)