ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

The O² Arena, London, August 2007
© (while we get some pix of tonight's show)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A GLIMMER OF AN ARENA TOUR IN 2008? Return to archive Page: 1 2
13th August 2007 11:15 PM
GotToRollMe I thought this deserved its own thread. Very good news, considering how bleak things were starting to look. The below posts are copied from the "Shine A Light" thread.

13th August 2007 11:20 PM
Throwaway I would be so excited I would .... well you get the idea. But until its official its hard not to be skeptical.
14th August 2007 12:24 AM
sweetcharmedlife Well I hate to say I told you so but...........Ah hell it's all still just speculation but. It just makes more sense to keep going while things are hot for them. They are not really in a postion to be able to take a couple years off then come back with another tour. Never mind whether thier will be a market for the Stones in a couple years. Who knows how healthy the concert business overall will be in a few years?
14th August 2007 07:13 AM
glencar I won't travel like I have in the past for these arena shows. At least, I think I won't. The set lists must improve. Vastly!
14th August 2007 07:44 AM
Gazza The way things are goin', there may actually be more likelihood of a Stones tour in 2008 happening than the Scorsese movie being released!
14th August 2007 09:55 AM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
I won't travel like I have in the past for these arena shows. At least, I think I won't. The set lists must improve. Vastly!

Agreed, I think we can all come to the same conclusion that we are supremely disappointed in both the performances and setlists during the European leg of the tour.
14th August 2007 10:22 AM
gimmekeef Believe it or not many who have "actually" attended the shows have said they have been quite good.Yes a few missteps along the way but overall they seemed satisfied.
14th August 2007 10:57 AM
polytoxic It sure would be great to have one more round. Now adding to the speculation: I've heard, through third-hand sources mind you, that there was a band meeting in St. Petersburg where they decided that the London shows would be end of the line as far as touring was concerned, with the possibility of a one-off goodbye pay-per-view show next year. I can't stress enough that this is coming through a couple of people and we all know what the broken-telephone effect is like concerning rumours. That being said, reading Martin Scorcese's comments about how the Shine A Light movie is supposed to show how the Stones are present and accounted for, still performing, and is not an elegy has me wondering that they could possibly do something like a six-week arena jaunt to prove the point. That's my own optimistic speculation. I guess we'll see.
14th August 2007 11:07 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Believe it or not many who have "actually" attended the shows have said they have been quite good.Yes a few missteps along the way but overall they seemed satisfied.

The two shows I attended this summer were excellent. The performances were stellar and we got a few surprises in the setlists as well.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
14th August 2007 11:19 AM
Martha The Stones helped me turn 40 then 45 and now I NEED them to help me turn...gulp....50 in October. That alone is reason enough to tour the US.....this FALL.

Word to Opie!

xxoo,
Martha
14th August 2007 12:28 PM
Gazza
quote:
polytoxic wrote:
It sure would be great to have one more round. Now adding to the speculation: I've heard, through third-hand sources mind you, that there was a band meeting in St. Petersburg where they decided that the London shows would be end of the line as far as touring was concerned, with the possibility of a one-off goodbye pay-per-view show next year. I can't stress enough that this is coming through a couple of people and we all know what the broken-telephone effect is like concerning rumours. That being said, reading Martin Scorcese's comments about how the Shine A Light movie is supposed to show how the Stones are present and accounted for, still performing, and is not an elegy has me wondering that they could possibly do something like a six-week arena jaunt to prove the point. That's my own optimistic speculation. I guess we'll see.

Interesting, although thats not how I've heard things in recent days. Without going into much more personal detail, what I was told was that Charlie, having been through what he has endured 3 years ago, dreads the thought of retirement, seeing it as some form of slippery slope. He's quite happy to continue working.

I've also heard that Scorsese ISN'T too happy with 'Shine A Light' at all. I think there's still going to be a bit more to-ing and fro-ing before this project sees the light of day. If it does.

I would still be amazed if the Stones ever publicly announced in advance a 'final' show. That said, as an event it would be quite a potential cash grab - but thats still not as much $$ as they could continue to rake in from short bursts of touring every year.

My own personal opinion is that they'll all be quite happy to remain an active touring band to some degree. The main issue though (only in my opinion, I've no personal or inside 'insight' into this) is Keith's health. It is quite possible from what I've read elsewhere that these 'aberrations' he's had could be temporary, but it's surely at a stage where his lifestyle combined with his recent medical history is going to affect his ability to function as a consistent performing musician for much longer. If he can get that shit sorted out, it's quite feasible that they will have some mileage left in them.
14th August 2007 12:31 PM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Agreed, I think we can all come to the same conclusion that we are supremely disappointed in both the performances and setlists during the European leg of the tour.

As someone who's actually seen the band this summer, I can say youre definitely not in a position to speak for 'all' of us.

I saw two fucking excellent shows which were actually better than pretty much all of the 7 shows I saw in New York and Europe in 2006.

The setlists have been disappointing for the entire tour, though - not just in 2007.
[Edited by Gazza]
14th August 2007 12:35 PM
gimmekeef Perhaps both Charlie and Keith see calling it quits the slippery slope so to speak.Mick's in great form..Ronnies as good as he's been in years....I'd be more worried what might happen to Keith sitting around drinking in Jamaica all winter versus preparing to tour some US dates.With however the possibility of a major U2 Tour the resources to pull off a big stadium thing (plus their desire and public demand)are remote.Wow if Scorcese isnt satisfied thats a real bad thing.Ya can only paint the wagon so many colors...
14th August 2007 12:39 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Gazza wrote:

As someone who's actually seen the band this summer, I can say youre definitely not in a position to speak for 'all' of us.

I saw two fucking excellent shows which were actually better than pretty much all of the 7 shows I saw in New York and Europe in 2006.

The setlists have been disappointing for the entire tour, though - not just in 2007.
[Edited by Gazza]

14th August 2007 01:00 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

[Edited by Gazza]

Give me a break, listen to the boots from this tour, mostly garbage.

There were a few decent setlists in the US leg last year in cities they already visited once (Vegas, Chicago, Boston, NYC) and the first couple of nights on the Euro leg had interesting setlists, but the rest have been very much "going through the motions"
14th August 2007 01:06 PM
mojoman
quote:
Gazza wrote:

[Edited by Gazza]

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2669014
14th August 2007 01:50 PM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Give me a break, listen to the boots from this tour, mostly garbage.

I havent heard boots from the 2 shows I happened to be at. Have you? I'm capable of judging with my own ears. If you think what you heard is crap, thats fine, but dont assume you speak for 'all' of us.

quote:
There were a few decent setlists in the US leg last year in cities they already visited once (Vegas, Chicago, Boston, NYC) and the first couple of nights on the Euro leg had interesting setlists, but the rest have been very much "going through the motions"

yep..since 2005. Like I said. Easy to get varying setlists if you happen to live somewhere where the band visit 4-5 times over 15 months. Not quite the same when you choose to travel around. Its not like Montenegro is going to get something similar to the 5th show in Chicago or a theatre show in New York. Not everyone is that lucky.
14th August 2007 01:53 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Seriously, Puggy, you might want to see a show on this leg of the tour before you pronounce the entire thing a bust.

The show I saw was worth the trip. The setlist had a nice run of ADTL, She Was Hot, Waiting on a Friend & CYHMK.

We'll let you know about London, as I'm guessing that you won't be there, either.

14th August 2007 01:55 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

Seriously, Puggy, you might want to see a show on this leg of the tour before you pronounce the entire thing a bust.

The show I saw was worth the trip. The setlist had a nice run of ADTL, She Was Hot, Waiting on a Friend & CYHMK.

We'll let you know about London, as I'm guessing that you won't be there, either.

14th August 2007 02:01 PM
voodoopug
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

I attended enough shows on the last US leg to be confident of my observation. I am glad others are enjoying it, and I certainly would attend multiple shows if they traveled back to the US anytime soon, but from the sound of the ten or so bootlegs I have from this tour, the performances are downright a shell of what they were just a few years ago.

i may not speak for all of us, but I speak for those of us who do not wear blinders or worship every missed note as if it is "cute".

As I have strongly recommended, I will not travel overseas to see the Stones this time around as they are not living up to the high standard that I set for them.

I wish those attending will get a great show and I am proven wrong, but more times than not, I am right on the ball with this assessment, whether popular or not.
14th August 2007 02:16 PM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I attended enough shows on the last US leg to be confident of my observation. I am glad others are enjoying it, and I certainly would attend multiple shows if they traveled back to the US anytime soon, but from the sound of the ten or so bootlegs I have from this tour, the performances are downright a shell of what they were just a few years ago.

I dont get this. If the European shows are so fucking awful, and you werent impressed with the last US leg, if the Stones were to tour the US "anytime soon" why on earth would you attend "multiple shows" ?

Do you think something magical is going to make them better all of a sudden? Why would you attend a lot of shows to see a band you obviously think cant cut it anymore?

quote:
voodoopug wrote:

i may not speak for all of us, but I speak for those of us who do not wear blinders or worship every missed note as if it is "cute".

well, thats me taken care of. I'm a real cheerleader, after all.

quote:
As I have strongly recommended, I will not travel overseas to see the Stones this time around as they are not living up to the high standard that I set for them.

You have strongly recommended that YOU wont travel overseas to see them? Uh. Ok. When DID you travel overseas to see them anyway? And er..most of us who are going arent actually travelling overseas anyway. We live here!

[Edited by Gazza]
14th August 2007 02:29 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I dont get this. If the European shows are so fucking awful, and you werent impressed with the last US leg, if the Stones were to tour the US "anytime soon" why on earth would you attend "multiple shows" ?

Do you think something magical is going to make them better all of a sudden? Why would you attend a lot of shows to see a band you obviously think cant cut it anymore?

well, thats me taken care of. I'm a real cheerleader, after all.

You have strongly recommended that YOU wont travel overseas to see them? Uh. Ok. When DID you travel overseas to see them anyway? And er..most of us who are going arent actually travelling overseas anyway. We live here!

[Edited by Gazza]

I would attend multiple shows because IMO a "lower quality" Stones show is more enjoyable to me than anyone else's show at this point and because I am extremely financial secure right now and if I piss away a few grand on the stones, it doenst hurt. During the last run I was not earning like I am now and did not want to allocate funds to a Euro trip, besides there is a history of cancellations and rescheduled shows. Of course if you live in Europe, you should attend as many shows as you can (necessary to win gross). I am advising against all North and South American fans to not travel to Europe for a stones concert but instead to take a longer Euro vacation to enjoy the history and culture of the many wonderful countries.

Facts are that the setlists were more varied in 2003 and the performances were better.

I agree to disagree with you Gazza as, despite your love of Dylan, I respect you.
14th August 2007 02:34 PM
Gazza Your last sentence reads like Joshy!

Your 2nd last sentence I agree with 100%. I much preferred Licks - my favourite tour of all the ones I've attended since 1982.

Still cant see the point of attending shows you dont think you'll get much pleasure from even if you have a bank balance to rival Howard Hughes. To me, that would be like sticking needles in your eyes, but each to their own I suppose.

I can understand seeing one or maybe two out of a sense of loyalty (I did the same with Dylan in the early 90s when he was at his nadir, but then again his shows dont cost much) but certainly not a series of them.

(Please dont mention the dreaded 'c' word, we've got through this summer without any so far and I'll be at 4 of the 5 remaining shows!)
[Edited by Gazza]
14th August 2007 02:39 PM
Saint Sway Has there ever been a single day here at Rocks Off where Pug didnt get schooled??
14th August 2007 02:40 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Your last sentence reads like Joshy!

Your 2nd last sentence I agree with 100%. I much preferred Licks - my favourite tour of all the ones I've attended since 1982.

Still cant see the point of attending shows you dont think you'll get much pleasure from even if you have a bank balance to rival Howard Hughes. To me, that would be like sticking needles in your eyes, but each to their own I suppose.

I can understand seeing one or maybe two out of a sense of loyalty (I did the same with Dylan in the early 90s when he was at his nadir, but then again his shows dont cost much) but certainly not a series of them.

(Please dont mention the dreaded 'c' word, we've got through this summer without any so far and I'll be at 4 of the 5 remaining shows!)
[Edited by Gazza]

agreed.

But keep in mind, i may end up puncturing my eyes with needles as they do not work very well!!

To me, a sense of loyalty is about 6-12 shows per tour at this stage. It may be different for others. Besides the show, I enjoy meeting fellow fans from this board and Shidoobee and that is a big part of my enjoyment.

Licks was also my favorite tour as well.
14th August 2007 02:41 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Has there ever been a single day here at Rocks Off where Pug didnt get schooled??

In a since deleted post, we were asked by several prominent members of Rocks Off to not address each other on this board as we obviously despise each other. I believe it was deleted before you read it. I shall agree to abide by this and expect the same from you.
14th August 2007 02:48 PM
Jumping Jack You can't judge a live show by a bootleg any more than judging Joshy's game by one of Pug's posts. Similar, but there's nothing like the real deal!!!
14th August 2007 02:50 PM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

agreed.

But keep in mind, i may end up puncturing my eyes with needles as they do not work very well!!

To me, a sense of loyalty is about 6-12 shows per tour at this stage. It may be different for others. Besides the show, I enjoy meeting fellow fans from this board and Shidoobee and that is a big part of my enjoyment.

Yeah, I can grasp that concept OK. Its a huge part of it for me too and has helped keep the interest going.

I've done 13 on each of the last two tours. Each successive tour, I've vowed to see less shows but have ended up seeing more instead. The UK 'arena' tour on Licks was my excuse last time (I did 9 out of the 11 shows in 22 days with one being postponed that I didnt go back and attend) and with Europe getting a return visit this year, keith's accident enabled me to see five extra shows I couldnt have afforded or had time to see last year. I was lucky last summer in that all of the 5 shows I had tickets for took place when they were supposed to.
14th August 2007 02:51 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
You can't judge a live show by a bootleg any more than judging Joshy's game by one of Pug's posts. Similar, but there's nothing like the real deal!!!

14th August 2007 02:51 PM
Dan
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
You can't judge a live show by a bootleg any more than judging Joshy's game by one of Pug's posts. Similar, but there's nothing like the real deal!!!

I am sure I would enjoy the fireworks more if I were really there.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)