ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Le Palais Nikaia, Nice, France - 8th August 2006
© Jeep with Very special Thanks to Jeep!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stade de France, St-Denis, Paris 28th July - Setlist, Photos & Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
28th July 2006 05:23 PM
Bitch Hey Paranoid I dont think any of us were surprised with Paris setlist today - because there were no surprises.

Happy about it? Well I'm happy they're still rockin' and rollin' but not with the setlist. Shall we go over it again? Oh no not this again!
28th July 2006 05:24 PM
Gazza Mr Wood back on top form, apparently
28th July 2006 05:26 PM
LadyJane Are any of our beloved regulars at this one???

Setlist...................I don't know.

LJ.
28th July 2006 05:28 PM
moy AP Photo/Remy de la Mauviniere

28th July 2006 05:33 PM
Gazza
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Are any of our beloved regulars at this one???

Setlist...................I don't know.

LJ.

I would imagine Monkeywoman is, as she lives about ten miles away. Plus quite a few others like Peter DV (who texted the setlist), Fabio etc. Caro as well I think.

Paris is a great city to go and see the Stones. I've had some incredible trips there for concerts in 1990, 1995 and 1998. Even flew there to see the "At the Max" film in 1992, because there was only one theatre in the UK at the time with an IMAX screen.
[Edited by Gazza]
28th July 2006 05:44 PM
Saint Sway the only normal jacket Mick's worn all tour.

could be a sign of them wising up
28th July 2006 06:39 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
Bitch wrote:
Hey Paranoid I dont think any of us were surprised with Paris setlist today - because there were no surprises.[/quote}

Just Paris?!? Or any show since...Hershey?

{quote]Happy about it? Well I'm happy they're still rockin' and rollin' but not with the setlist. Shall we go over it again? Oh no not this again!

I fully agree w/ you...like i said...the expirience of the attendee is a totally different story...no matter how contrived...boring...predictable...and played out the set list is.
28th July 2006 07:56 PM
caro Ha! And to think that I almost didn't bother to go -- me is retarded! You'll have to wait until the other regulars post to get a real review, since this is only my 2nd Stones gig I can't really say whether it was a good show or not. For me, it was amazing, though
Keith seemed to be in the mood for blues, he'd use every occasion to insert bluesy solos. So of course, Midnight Rambler fit in nicely -- they took their time going through every byway of the song, it was the absolute highlight for me. Night Time is the right Time was awesome too, and the audience seemed to enjoy that one very much. Like in 2003, Lisa blew me away. Streets of love had some nice moments with Mick mimicking as though he was singing "You're beautiful", and Blondie yawning on the giant screen.
The stadium was far from sold out (in this case, that was good news for us, cause we managed to get tickets for 25€ each. Couldn't believe my luck!) Mick seemed a bit disillusioned at first, but then he worked the audience (in french!) like the true professional he is. We were about 10 meters away from the B-stage, and seeing them from so close is a bit weird. They look so frail when you're right besides them, and still they have enough charisma to make a whole stadium scream... Well anyway, you all already know this better than me, but having seen few stadium shows in my life, it's something that struck me.
I hope everyone else has enjoyed the show as much as I did. And man, I could have posted the coolest photo of Charlie grinnin to a cameraman during YCAGWYW! But I didn't take my camera. Like I said, I'm retarded.
28th July 2006 08:02 PM
Gazza For a retarded person, thats a very nice review...LOL

Glad you enjoyed it so much

25€ for 10 metres beside the b-stage sounds like the bargain of the year. It always pays to be patient!
[Edited by Gazza]
28th July 2006 08:09 PM
caro Yes, it was cool to be so close! There were tons of people outside trying to sell tickets, most were desperate to get rid of them cause they wanted to go inside the venue on time.
However, during the B-stage set, the sound was terrible. I wonder if they couldn't put some speakers on the B-stage itself, since the new speakers take so little space...
28th July 2006 09:29 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Some pix by courtsey of Pierre Andrieu with special thanks to GYPSY!!!

29th July 2006 12:46 AM
GimmeExile
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

Keith looks so vibrant in this picture!
29th July 2006 01:51 AM
Bitch Wow those are some great pics Voodoo! Very nice!

Caro it's wonderful to hear you had a great time and the band was playing in top form! It surprises me that Paris was not sold out and so many tickets were for sale - do you think it was because of the changed tour dates or lack of fanbase or the price of the tickets were too high?
29th July 2006 04:15 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Bitch wrote:
Wow those are some great pics Voodoo! Very nice!

Caro it's wonderful to hear you had a great time and the band was playing in top form! It surprises me that Paris was not sold out and so many tickets were for sale - do you think it was because of the changed tour dates or lack of fanbase or the price of the tickets were too high?

Same thing in Amsterdam.
29th July 2006 04:34 AM
caro
quote:
Bitch wrote:
It surprises me that Paris was not sold out and so many tickets were for sale - do you think it was because of the changed tour dates or lack of fanbase or the price of the tickets were too high?

I don't know, someone told me that the two concerts that were scheduled in the beginning were both sold out. I don't know if it's true, but I do think that many people had problems going to a rescheduled show, since it's holiday time and all... Plus, the ticket prices were pure madness.
29th July 2006 05:50 AM
Jumacfly Paris was Omaha'd!
29th July 2006 07:19 AM
Gazza
quote:
Bitch wrote:
Wow those are some great pics Voodoo! Very nice!

I think if you change the date of any show in mid-summer at short notice, you can bet that it will affect maybe 15-20% of the potential audience. While the new date may better suit some people, its a losing battle to re-sell all the tickets at short notice. A lot of people underestimate how big a dent in sales a postponement makes. Especially in a city which would have a lot of tourists coming in for the concert.

Plus its now coming into the traditional holiday season in Paris, as so many locals go on holiday to the south of France in August
29th July 2006 07:31 AM
Gazza Reviews quoted from the French press state that the show was attended by a total of 89,000 people (which would make it the biggest paying audience of the entire tour) and that it was officially a sell out

http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,488359,488501#msg-488501
29th July 2006 07:34 AM
Gazza
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:

Keith looks so vibrant in this picture!

he does. he's really looking well since his mishap. And those photos only convince me further that the op on his brain wasnt the only bit of treatment he had on his head during his enforced hiatus. hes definitely less lined than he used to be
29th July 2006 07:35 AM
Gazza
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Paris was Omaha'd!

The universal praise I've read for the show to date would suggest that performance wise it certainly wasnt! Lots of raves about how good it was
29th July 2006 08:34 AM
Gazza News report from F2 on the SDF concert last night :

http://jt.france2.fr/13h/

Scroll about 13 minutes into the broadcast for the Stones' clips
29th July 2006 09:02 AM
PartyDoll MEG Great photos Gypsy and Voodoo!!!

It kills me to say it but, Keith is looking better than Mick!!!
29th July 2006 09:08 AM
caro Here's a review from Le Monde, very approximately translated by Babelfish and myself:

THE ROLLING STONES ON TOUR, PREDICTABLE AND MIRACULOUS

Usually made of sex, drug and rock' roll, the legend of Rolling Stones is this year enriched by a botanical chapter : the Fijian coconut of the trunk of which Keith Richards the guitarist of the British group fell in April, has become a star in its own right. Friday July 28, at the Stade de France of Saint-Denis, the tropical tree even made its appearance as a by-product, in the shape of a miniature and inflatable accessory, at the side of the famous lips. And, not without humour, the singer Mick Jagger renamed his group Mick and the Coconuts - by allusion to Kid Creole and The Coconuts -, during the presentation of the musicians.

The accident of Keith Richards prompted the adjournment of the European round of the sexagenarian rockers. Scheduled initially on June 3 and July 2, the two Paris concerts were thus amalgamated in a single date placed at the worst moment, into the "chasse-croisé" [famous moment in the year where French people who take holidays in July come back and the others leave for their August holidays, creating monster traffic jams]. Which explained why the group played open counters [tickets being officially sold until the start of the concert], something they had long lost practice of. Only the workers and diehard fans (able to differ their holidays, or even give them up for the cause) could be faithful enough to go. The others obtained the refunding of their tickets. Lastly, like said it in French Mick Jagger (Sir Mick owns a manor in France), "we are glad to be back at the Stage of France. Better late than never."

With half an hour of delay, a "vaticanish" white smoke rises from the scene. Honor to the convalescent -- it is Keith Richards who lights the fire with the puncture-proof riff of Jumping Jack Flash. As often, Rolling Stones are endearingly approximate during the first moments. The most lucrative company of the circuit rock'n'roll is still made up of humans, with their hesitations and insufficiencies. In 2006, Richards is still able to torpedo the attack of Brown Sugar, which he has probably played at each concert since its creation in 1971. What one will forgive them less, is to offer a sound always as terrible with the means they have.

CELL PHONE RINGTONES
The money is rather invested in scenography. Although the kitscheries of old (heavy phallic symbols) have disappeared, Rolling Stones still play it pharaonic, but in a more sober way. Two metal towers sheltering balconies frame the scene. For the sum of 350 euros, the interested spectators can see their heroes from close and top. Another innovation [huh?]: in the middle of the concert, a part of the scene slips on a rail and advances to meet the public while stopping in the central round of the lawn. The A Bigger Bang tour – named after a new album whose only finality was to baptize it - is faithful to the Stones trademark: a mixture of crook management techniques and seduction. Sold 20 euros, the programs gives only one information: it is from now on possible to download the hits of the group as cell phone ringtones.

Reduced to three excerpts, A Bigger Bang has no chance to overshadow the warhorses. The Stones have long understood that their golden age ranged between 1965 and 1976, and they have given up any pride of creators. Their setlists are merely a compilation. It is known that one will not escape Miss You, nor Start Me Up, Sympathy For The Devil (ideally funky and interpreted, according to the tradition, by Jagger with a top hat and red frock coat), Paint It Black or Satisfaction (as an encore). As usual, Keith Richards has the right to mumble two songs with his bourbonné voice. Drummer Charlie Watts always gives the impression to wonder what the hell he's doing here while guitarist Ron Wood gives the impression he doesn't know how lucky he is to be there. The other musicians are familiar faces, from bass player Daryl Jones to the saxophonist Bobby Keyes.

In this predictable pattern, a miracle can occur. This evening, it is Midnight Rambler. Under bluish lights, Jagger introduces the song with the harmonica, becomes an imprecator by invoking the memory of Muddy Waters. The sound is dirty, muddy like water of the delta of Mississippi. In about fifteen minutes, Stones reaffirm their splendour by finding their truth in the blues.

oops, forgot the link:
Article in french

[Edited by Ray Charles]
[Edited by caro]
30th July 2006 07:18 AM
corgi37 Do French people really speak like that?
30th July 2006 07:48 AM
caro Err well, we tend to think that if we have nothing to say, we might as well say it with a lot of metaphors.
30th July 2006 10:19 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
the only normal jacket Mick's worn all tour.

could be a sign of them wising up

Yes, I quite like that little outfit he's got on...
30th July 2006 10:25 AM
Truman Beric
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Do French people really speak like that?

Yeah sure, and we all ride bicycles with onion bulbs around our neck.
We all wear berets, eat frogs and are all of us involved in menage à trois.
30th July 2006 10:37 AM
gimmekeef The reviews from fans over on IORR all seem very good.Hopefully a taper was in a sweet spot and a boot is soon available!
30th July 2006 12:10 PM
Gazza General consensus seems that it was a great show. Ronnie seems to have been pleased by his own performance, judging by the reports that when they arrived at their Amsterdam hotel yesterday he could barely stand and had to be helped up the steps.

Oh dear. Hope he's shipshape again for tomorrow night.
30th July 2006 01:05 PM
Steel Wheels Great setlist and great pictures! Band looks great, and I'm sure they are sounding great. Can't wait for Fall 06.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)