ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

40th anniversary of the Stones' first ever Dutch gig
August 8, 1964 - Kurhaus theatre in Scheveningen (Den Haag). Click here for more
© Some unknown hero - with thanks to Angiegirl!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why do you need a new Stones album? Return to archive Page: 1 2
July 27th, 2004 11:15 PM
Soldatti We are so young!!!
July 27th, 2004 11:16 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! A new album for me is that I get to go through my old ritual at least one more time. I'll impatiently wait for the album to be released, then go buy it the first day, take it home, get a few cold beers, light up a smoke and herb, crank the mutha as loud as it will go and just sit back and listen to what these guys have brought to the table once again! I've done this every time that they have released a new album ever since I was in high school and it is always exciting to hear new music by this band. Sure I always compare to see if it's as good as the past, although I never expect it to be, but that's when it will kick in and I certainly feel that each album holds it's place and captures a point in my life. So to me, it is very important for them to release a new album, plus it does mean that a tour is coming and I will have the opportunity to see these guys one more time!
July 27th, 2004 11:20 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Happy Motherfucker!! wrote:
A new album for me is that I get to go through my old ritual at least one more time. I'll impatiently wait for the album to be released, then go buy it the first day, take it home, get a few cold beers, light up a smoke and herb, crank the mutha as loud as it will go and just sit back and listen to what these guys have brought to the table once again! I've done this every time that they have released a new album ever since I was in high school and it is always exciting to hear new music by this band. Sure I always compare to see if it's as good as the past, although I never expect it to be, but that's when it will kick in and I certainly feel that each album holds it's place and captures a point in my life. So to me, it is very important for them to release a new album, plus it does mean that a tour is coming and I will have the opportunity to see these guys one more time!

You see!!! I never did that before, now I can do it but I don't have a new album!
[Edited by Soldatti]
July 28th, 2004 02:19 AM
corgi37 Oh, Happy Motherfucker, your post brought a tear to my eye. I did the same thing you did when new stuff came out, only 1/2 a world away. Who could forget the rush of getting that new music in your hand? I miss the LP's though. The covers, the liner notes, the pics, the lyrics. How cool was it to hear Worried about You for the 1st time? The thrill of following Jaggers words as he sang "hot cum, dripping off ya thigh" on "Pain of Love". It was all good. Wow! What about opening Tattoo You, and seeing that pic of the hoof in the shoe! Priceless!

From ER to B2B, i have purchased every stones release on the day it came out, from the same little record shop that was just around the corner from my mums place. Now, due to the fact the Stones havent released a full new cd since 97, that little record shop has closed! Well, maybe not FULLY due to the stones, but i'm sure it was a sign! lol. By the way, the record shop was called "Craig's". So, Craig used to shop at Craig's for his Stones.

Ahh, nevermore.
July 28th, 2004 05:22 AM
UGot2Rollme I still remember the day Some Girls came out and I quickly went out and bought it (as did my buddy across town). We called each other up later on and all we could say was, "Excellent" and laugh in a kind of weed-induced way.
A classic R&R moment in my life, and that lp still brings joy (and who can't help but snicker at the pictures of the boys - especially Charlie in lipstick - on the cover?)

Will a new CD do that for me now? No, but it will still make my day (or year, if it's a good one, especially with a tour).
July 28th, 2004 07:43 AM
Gazza >I think Bob Dylan has proved with Oh Mercy, Time out of Mind and Love and Theft he still can do it. IMO these albums are much better than the ones the Stones "recently" released...

I agree but between Oh Mercy and TOOM Dylan went seven years without an album of new material (since the patchy "Under the red sky" in Sept 1990) which is pretty much the time frame the Stones are in now since their last studio album (BTB and Time Out of Mind were actually released on the same DAY. You can only imagine the excitement Chez Gazza when I got home THAT afternoon).

And before "Oh Mercy", Dylan's output during the 80's could be called patchy at best. (I dont think the Stones made an album as weak as "Down in the groove" and "knocked out loaded" in all that time!)

I still think they have it in them to make a bloody excellent album. Whether the music world will acknowledge it as such is another matter.

[Edited by Gazza]
July 28th, 2004 08:03 AM
L&A
quote:
Gazza wrote:
…(BTB and Time Out of Mind were actually released on the same DAY. You can only imagine the excitement Chez Gazza when I got home THAT afternoon).

The dilemna ! Which one received your first favors ?
July 28th, 2004 10:22 AM
Gazza The Dylan one.

For the simple reason that I had received an advance tape of "Bridges" about 3 weeks earlier and had already heard it. The thing is, the tape was at a slightly faster speed than the official album was so it took me a while to re-acquaint myself with the songs after I'd got the official release. Plus the official album was better sound quality of course

I love Bridges To Babylon. Have done from first listen. My favourite Stones album since "Some Girls"
[Edited by Gazza]
July 28th, 2004 12:35 PM
Nasty Habits I remember that day QUITE well. It was too absurd that there was a new Dylan album AND a new Stones album out on the same day. For me, at the time, the hands down winner was TOOM. It retained my favor for MONTHS, to the point where I didn't really give B2B its proper due. Or anything else. I played the SHIT out of Time Out of Mind, and didn't really mess with Bridges.

I thought it was good, but I always went back on "Dirt Road Blues" to the "Highlands". Dylan hadn't put out a new collection of originals in eight years, and the undeniable greatness of TOOM just captivated me completely.

At the time, I didn't really trust my response to Stones albums. I had had intense "honeymoon" periods with Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge, but after the initial infatuation they began to seem hollow and empty. And now I can't really listen to either all the way through. I really WANT the Stones to make another great album. We all want the Stones to be absolutely undeniable. So it's easy to project greatness onto whatever the Stones are doing. So I just sort of left Bridges alone - because as "record store guy" I recommended (RAVED!) about Voodoo to a bunch of people who ultimately felt burned by it, and I had to watch what I said about B2B.

But gradually, that album started to take on a life of its own in my listening cycles, and it's never really let up -- I still play it frequently, and unlike the other two post-breakup studio albums I think of it as a "real" Stones album. And I listen to it WAY more than I listen to Time Out of Mind. Interestingly, both albums bear a lot of thematic similarities -- lots of wandering around, some extremely violent imagery, implications of loss and all that shit, spiritual exploration in a spirtually bankrupt society. Weirder still, I think there's more sex on Time Out of Mind than there is on Bridges to Babylon, which has to be the most sexless album the Rolling Stones ever produced.

Just played it this morning while I was farting around cleaning up the house and doing dishes and putting away records and shit, and it kicked my ass. I even found something to like in the performance of "Always Suffering", a song that I've previously pretty much despised. And I still think that it and "How Can I Stop", lovely as it is, don't belong on that album. But it's a couple of edits and a better marketing campaign away from being a masterpiece.

Bridges to Babylon. Fucking great record.

July 28th, 2004 12:44 PM
Snappy McJack B2B is fucking great. Unlike VL, I can listen to it track to track without skipping (I just don't like much of the "mid-section" of VL that much).
July 28th, 2004 01:00 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
I think there's more sex on Time Out of Mind than there is on Bridges to Babylon

As in "fuck me, I'm sensitive"?

"I see people in the park forgetting their troubles and woes
They're drinking and dancing, wearing bright colored clothes
All the young men with their young women looking so good
Well, I'd trade places with any of them
In a minute, if I could."

More in the category of "old songs by old geezers", because the "sensitive" label doesn't do justice to someone like Dylan.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
July 28th, 2004 01:02 PM
Nasty Habits As in angels dancing around in Victoria's Secret lingerie whilst a lecherous old man voyeurs on, I suppose . . .

As in goin' to sugar town and shakin' the sugar down . . .
[Edited by Nasty Habits]
July 28th, 2004 01:12 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
As in goin' to sugar town and shakin' the sugar down . . .
[Edited by Nasty Habits]

That's great! It flew me by. Thank god it wasn't that "been to Gay Paree" ("Not dark yet") thing.

This one isn't subtle at all:

"I'm your man; I'm trying to recover the sweet love that we knew" ("Can't wait").

July 28th, 2004 01:41 PM
Nasty Habits Not as bad as him strummin' on his gay guitar . . .

I need your love so bad/Turn your lamp down low!

July 28th, 2004 01:50 PM
Factory Girl You boys are getting frisky on Dylan's lyrics... I like it, like it, yes I do...LOL
July 28th, 2004 01:59 PM
MrPleasant Yeah, and what about that "cheap cigar"!?

"Rock me pretty baby, rock me, all at once (sic?)
Rock me for a little while, rock me for a couple of bucks
And I'll rock you too"

Better get some sleep tonight!
July 28th, 2004 02:02 PM
Nasty Habits Well, jump into the wagon! Throw your panties overboard.

July 28th, 2004 02:07 PM
MrPleasant Priceless!
July 28th, 2004 02:12 PM
Soldatti
quote:
I think there's more sex on Time Out of Mind than there is on Bridges to Babylon

You're right, I was thinking the same some months ago...
July 28th, 2004 02:42 PM
gimmekeef Me thinks Fat Boy should return to lurking.....
July 28th, 2004 03:43 PM
Factory Girl There is a reference to 2pm Booty call on Love and Theft.

Bob has stud muffin proclivities.

PS. Nasty, I love "panties overboard"...priceless indeed.
July 28th, 2004 04:17 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
There is a reference to 2pm Booty call on Love and Theft.

That booty call happens in the AM, not the P. Afternoon Delight doesn't seem to be Don Pasqualley's way of doin' bidness.

July 28th, 2004 04:18 PM
Joey
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
There is a reference to 2pm Booty call on Love and Theft.

Katie :

"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist but you will have ceased to live."

July 28th, 2004 04:18 PM
F505 Who is Katie?
July 28th, 2004 04:19 PM
Joey
quote:
F505 wrote:
Who is Katie?

?
July 28th, 2004 05:19 PM
Dan I think the most recent Stones album I can listen to all the way thru on a regular basis is Undercover. But I cant even find my copy right now. The only new album by a classic band I am even looking forward to is the new Judas Priest album in December.
July 28th, 2004 05:43 PM
Some Guy Dude, I can't find my Undercover also. Whats up with that?
July 28th, 2004 06:51 PM
Madafaka 'Cause I need to play it on my car stereo when I get drunk with my friends and sing the new songs all together. That is a good reason. Or not?
July 28th, 2004 07:50 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
'Cause I need to play it on my car stereo when I get drunk with my friends and sing the new songs all together. That is a good reason. Or not?

Yeah!
We love the new stuff on Argentina, is a consolation because we don't see many (now NO ONE) international artists on our country and albums is a way to keep the fans.
This 7 years without a new album and on the last tour they didn't come here, not was very good for us the fans...
[Edited by Soldatti]
July 28th, 2004 10:10 PM
corgi37 Not was any good for anyone!
Page: 1 2