ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Mr. Jimmy !!
After August 3rd rehearsals
Đ 2005 Mr. Jimmy with a lot of thank yous!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Back of My Hand is the Shiznit! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
July 30th, 2005 07:24 PM
CraigP Cheers.
July 30th, 2005 09:19 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
reminds of me their '68 version of "Still a Fool" actually..

I tought the same but I thik "Still a fool" still the best blues by the Stones ever, can't understand why it didn't make in the final cut.

What about adding a piano there a'la Nicky Hopkins in Still a Fool?

Anyway Brian Jones and Nicky Hopkins are not available to improve it

What a great track!
July 30th, 2005 10:03 PM
Child of the Moon Still a Fool from '68 is one of their unsung masterpieces - unsung because it was never released, which is a crime against humanity. That's one I used to play several times back to back, even though it's 10 minutes long. The band has the spook on that one... the ghosts they're conjuring on that track are real.

But for now, I have to find a way to get this new song!
July 30th, 2005 10:14 PM
Child of the Moon Listening to BOMH right now. Holy. Fuck. I love this song. I am typing this with... with...

It's probably best not to say what I'm typing this with.
July 30th, 2005 10:43 PM
T&A
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
Still a Fool from '68 is one of their unsung masterpieces - unsung because it was never released, which is a crime against humanity. That's one I used to play several times back to back, even though it's 10 minutes long. The band has the spook on that one... the ghosts they're conjuring on that track are real.

the live '95 version of Still a Fool was nails too - pretty much a clone of the '68 version, IMO...amazing work from MJ on vox/harp....
July 30th, 2005 10:55 PM
tumbling dice
exactly, Gazza.

BOMH itīs a cousin of Still a Fool,i wasnīt remember but you help me. A good blues not a original one ,but it have a nice sound.I love the harmonica and the guitars, Mickīs voice itīs so clear , i understand all the lyrics.When he sing more dirty itīs better.
July 31st, 2005 06:41 AM
JaggerLips
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Yeah the vocal gets better as the song goes on. Authentic Mick Jagger. He stretches it out a few times and he's still got it. He is the only one of his era that still sounds exactly the same as his first album. Astounding man with unreal talent.

Amen to that!
Mick's voice remains strong, don't think that he'll ever lose it.
Unlike Rod Stewart who clearly has.
July 31st, 2005 06:52 AM
blackandblue Who are you so sure sweety!?
July 31st, 2005 07:26 AM
JaggerLips
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
Who are you so sure sweety!?

Goedemiddag schatje!
July 31st, 2005 07:29 AM
blackandblue
quote:
JaggerLips wrote:

Goedemiddag schatje!

LOL your dutch is much better than my English!

I meant HOW are you so sure

dag lekker ding!
July 31st, 2005 07:37 AM
JaggerLips
quote:
blackandblue wrote:

LOL your dutch is much better than my English!

I meant HOW are you so sure

dag lekker ding!

Because sweet thing Mick's voice at 62 remains as strong as ever, he's one of the few artists of his era who has retained his voice. Tom Jones has still got the lungs for it.
Mick's extremely lucky!

Mijn Nederlands Lievered
July 31st, 2005 07:44 AM
blackandblue
quote:
JaggerLips wrote:

Because sweet thing Mick's voice at 62 remains as strong as ever, he's one of the few artists of his era who has retained his voice. Tom Jones has still got the lungs for it.
Mick's extremely lucky!

Mijn Nederlands Lievered

Are you sure Tom Jones still has his voice?

July 31st, 2005 07:47 AM
MRD8 BOMH reminds me of The Storm, the great Voodoo Lounge outtake thats on the b-side of Love Is Strong in Holland!
July 31st, 2005 07:59 AM
blackandblue Not to forget the great B-song of mixed Emotions Fancy Man Blues!
July 31st, 2005 08:01 AM
JaggerLips
quote:
blackandblue wrote:

Are you sure Tom Jones still has his voice?

Yes to an extent, he can still belt out Delila!
July 31st, 2005 11:54 AM
gimmekeef Guys..what boots is Still a fool on?..Plus didthey play it live as stated in 95?..If so any boots of that?..Thanks as always!
July 31st, 2005 02:51 PM
Gazza The studio version of "Still A Fool" from Olympic Studios in May '68 appears on numerous bootlegs, such as "Trident Mixes", "Black Box", "Ultra Rare Trax Vol. 5" and others. Almost 10 minutes long, absolutely glorious stuff.

The song was played live in the early days, in late 1962. No live versions of it from that period, unfortunately.

They played it just once since - at the Paradiso in Amsterdam on 27th May 1995. Right afterwards, they played "Down in the Bottom"! That show is available as an audience video (filmed from the 'live simulcast' shown on a big screen in a nearby park) and also on a few bootlegs such as Vinyl gang's "The Foottappers and Wheelshunters Club Gig"
July 31st, 2005 03:49 PM
PartyDoll MEG iTunes has "The Storm" (B-side from Voodoo )as an exclusive track, and I have "Still a Fool" from Paridiso(God only knows where I got it)! I agree with Gazza, BOMH has the same flavor as "Still a Fool", and a little of the "Storm" but IMHO BOMH is much better!
[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
July 31st, 2005 05:12 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The studio version of "Still A Fool" from Olympic Studios in May '68 appears on numerous bootlegs, such as "Trident Mixes", "Black Box", "Ultra Rare Trax Vol. 5" and others. Almost 10 minutes long, absolutely glorious stuff.

The song was played live in the early days, in late 1962. No live versions of it from that period, unfortunately.

They played it just once since - at the Paradiso in Amsterdam on 27th May 1995. Right afterwards, they played "Down in the Bottom"! That show is available as an audience video (filmed from the 'live simulcast' shown on a big screen in a nearby park) and also on a few bootlegs such as Vinyl gang's "The Foottappers and Wheelshunters Club Gig"

Gazza...thanks as always!..I found it on RSVP it is great!Forgot I had it...Now need to find the live version....Thanks so much!
July 31st, 2005 06:10 PM
Poplar
Played this song (BOMH) for a non-stones friend ... he was amazed.
July 31st, 2005 06:32 PM
maumau
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Played this song (BOMH) for a non-stones friend ... he was amazed.

this is something we should always consider
we compare each new stones song with their whole catalog
(like here BOMH to a not released studio version of still a fool 1968...)
but, i mean, for the rest of the world is different...
July 31st, 2005 07:55 PM
kath i just listened to it...i like it. i'm glad they're doing more bluesy stuff...but it needs something...i'm not sure...more bass maybe? it needs a little more "rawness" or sumthin'...but the best of the three i've heard so far!!!
July 31st, 2005 08:52 PM
FM Weakest of the four new ones for me - trying too hard.

I think in the context of a 16 song album it could be a knockout - but I much prefer the others so far !

Fraser
July 31st, 2005 08:53 PM
justforyou Pretty damn good track, gimme more!!
July 31st, 2005 09:06 PM
T&A
quote:
kath wrote:
...but it needs something...i'm not sure...more bass maybe?

More bass? there couldn't be any less - no bass track at all on this one...

July 31st, 2005 11:04 PM
corgi37 Praise Vishnu, but i am just dying for this cd to come out.

dying, i tells ya!
July 31st, 2005 11:45 PM
kath
quote:
More bass? there couldn't be any less - no bass track at all on this one...

ah HA!!! see???? that's what it needs!!!
August 1st, 2005 01:29 AM
Poplar
quote:
kath wrote:
ah HA!!! see???? that's what it needs!!!

disagree 100%.

Mick, Keith, Charlie ... bliss.

this song makes me love like all holy hell. please play it live, boys.
August 1st, 2005 10:24 AM
gimmekeef http://www.printmark.se/stones/bootleg/i/marvellous_micky_jagger_&_his_guys.htm

Geez look at the setlist from this Paradiso show in 95 when they played "Still A fool"....some real rare gems that night...The boot quality is supposed 8 or so...Anyone have a copy cause I think this show may have had the most unusual setlist in many many years.....
August 1st, 2005 10:39 AM
Maxlugar [quote]gimmekeef wrote:
http://www.printmark.se/stones/bootleg/i/marvellous_micky_jagger_&_his_guys.htm

Geez look at the setlist from this Paradiso show in 95 when they played "Still A fool"....some real rare gems that night...The boot quality is supposed 8 or so...Anyone have a copy cause I think this show may have had the most unusual setlist in many many years.....

It's one of my top 5 favorites. I have it on the "Foottappers and Wheel Shunters" one. Get it!

The opening notes Keith plays on Still a Fool slice your head in two. And I like that.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)