ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Mr. Jimmy !!
After August 3rd rehearsals
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with a lot of thank yous!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Time to Replace Don Was? Return to archive Page: 1 2
July 30th, 2005 11:09 PM
The Wick Hate to start a mutual admiration society on this thread, but Texile is making total sense. As to the alternative, I say they go with someone born after Goat's Head Soup who isn't bent on recreating the same sound of Exile, (Mick Jagger stated in an interview that Was and the engineer tried to remake Exile during Voodoo Lounge) but at the same time, can edge them towards a rougher sound worthy to stand up to the sound in Exile or Some Girls. I thought Voodoo was a good start and that they would use that as a spring board to reaching that new rougher sound and breaking boundaries again, but then came bloody Bridges with some of the worst Stones tracks ever like Already Over Me (just shocking). Rick Rubin wouldn't be my first choice, but I suspect he would push them in a better direction. Also, a newer producer could try and get to their roots without being a slave to recreating a specific sound. I suspect that is the main stumbling block because you have these producers trying to recreate Exile and then you have Jagger pulling the other way just to make a point. Someone new, and not the bloody Dust Brothers and people who were on shit like Beck would be much better. For those of you in love with Don Was, go listen to Was Not Was, his own band. As far as dance music goes, I thought it was quite good, but he is tranposing that kind of production onto the Stones and it's completely out of place. Having said all that, if the other tracks are done in the vein of BOMH, then I will admit I was wrong about the album. But still, don't you all think it's time for a change? He's going to end up spending more time with the band than Jimmy Miller if this continues.
July 31st, 2005 05:51 AM
IanBillen [quote]texile wrote:
i don't blame WAS for being a lame-ass producer - i blame the stones for choosing someone so obliging...this guy does NOTHING for the stones, BRINGS nothing...
the alternative? people have mentioned it before: a rick rubin perhaps? soemone with the balls to be a fire under the stones ass.....but NOOOOO -
cos NOBODY tells keith richards what to do....and they NEED to;
remember keith kicking chuck berry into shape on hail, hail, rock and roll?
well.........

I can't see how you think Don Was is lame? Love is Strong, You Got me Rocking, I Go Wild, Thru and Thru, Low-Down, Out of Control, Gun-Face (as executive producer along with Danny Saber), Rough Justice ....this is out and out great stuff. Notice the quality of their work since he took over in 94 from 89 or Dirty Work. Their albums are more memorable now. And they sound great!

Remember Mick and Rick Rubin didn't gel. Why? because Mick and Keith do not like producers telling them what to do outwardly. Don Was has helped in bringing Mick and Keith together in the studio. Remember he was the first one to get them singing into the same mic in years. Listen to the black Crowes Lions CD from 2001. Listen to how powerful theyy sound and what a really good album it is.....then tell me how lame of a producer he is.

Ian

July 31st, 2005 05:57 AM
Poplar
after listening to BOMH, hard to bitch about him. Both that and RJ sound fantastic.

July 31st, 2005 08:34 AM
Barney Fife
quote:
The Wick wrote:
I almost feel bad writing this because a part of me says we get so little new material over a decade that we should just keep quiet and enjoy what the Stones put out. However, it seems like they reached a real creative zenith in making this album and I can't but help feel Don Was is just not getting the best out of them. I thought his best work was on Voodoo Lounge where he got the band at least on the road back to doing what they do best: writing rough rock'n'roll, with a few beautiful ballads, that no band has ever been able to even come close to. Anything they put out is still going to be more entertaining that any other music out there, but it just doesn't feel like they are reaching their best. I thought Was would take Bridges to another level, and that, apart from one or two tracks, was a huge let down. I am hoping A Bigger Bang will get back to a Voodoo type vibe, but even though I don't hate Streets of Love like many people, what the hell is this enunciation shit? He doesn't even sound this clean on Angie. I am just hoping the bulk of it is more like Rough Justice in production, although even Rough Justice seems too polished for the style of song. Both songs could have been so much more if the production wasn't so god damn glossy. The best Stones songs and albums are those where Jagger almost mumbles his way through the song. Also, that opening lyric just blows: You're awful bright, you're awful smart. He gets back to form with the lips on hips bit on Rough Justice, which is just the classic Mick Jagger in Stones mode, but if this clean cut production and enunciation shite dominates, I say Don Was should be shown the door and they should get someone who takes away the fancy production, although God knows how much say Don Was or anyone else really has.

You're just going to have to start becoming a fan of more dynamic artists:

http://www.yeproc.com/artist_info.php?artistId=883

http://www.tomrussell.com/
July 31st, 2005 11:08 AM
gimmekeef More dynamic than the Stones Barney Fife?!..Me thinks you've been hanging out with Goober far too long!
July 31st, 2005 12:57 PM
texile rubin and jagger didn't gel?
wandering spirit, my friend, kicks ass all over DW, SW, VL, B2B - i don't know about the personal relationship of these 2 guys, but if indeed they DIDN'T gel.......
well, maybe because rubin didn't kiss ass, and that's a good thing.

wick - how about jack white? i know its trendy, but this guy is young yet respects the past...
i mean, there's got to be somebody out there besides was....
he's just an easy lay....
July 31st, 2005 03:47 PM
IanBillen
quote:
texile wrote:
rubin and jagger didn't gel?
wandering spirit, my friend, kicks ass all over DW, SW, VL, B2B - i don't know about the personal relationship of these 2 guys, but if indeed they DIDN'T gel.......

No. Certainly didn't mean it that way. Wandering spirit is an excellent Jago Solo. A real favorite of mine. Best he has ever done on his own no doubt. However Jagger did not want the record so Stonesy. He later said he wished he would of did things a little differently and made a remark about not letting that happen again. Lots of stories how the two never really hit it off. I know, you would never guess that by what a great album it is.

well, maybe because rubin didn't kiss ass, and that's a good thing.

wick - how about jack white? i know its trendy, but this guy is young yet respects the past...
i mean, there's got to be somebody out there besides was....
he's just an easy lay....

July 31st, 2005 04:54 PM
texile whether jagger had misgivings about rubin or not.....
the proof is in the finished product, and that speaks for itself.
the stones are accustomed to having control, so anytime they're challenged - they're uncomfortable.....
but complacency is the death knell for creativity.....
you do your best shit when you're up against the wall - and the glimmer twins need to be SLAMMED against the wall...cos they're just banging thier own heads against nothing.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)