ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With the Mayor Mel Lastman receiving the gold key to the city of Toronto
Canada's Walk of Fame, Greig Reekie, HO/AP Photos
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 'Jazzed' Stones planning spectacular show Return to archive Page: 1 2
07-24-03 08:16 PM
Martha
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
He played pretty fuckin' good the nights I saw him!

People can report all they want, but I know what I saw & heard.

Keith was a MONSTER at that 1st MSG show...and at Roseland.

AND..........at Ford Field...

10/12/02....................

I'll never be the same.........:-)
07-24-03 08:19 PM
corgi37 keith played mighty fine in Australia too. Much better than Ronnie "which way is front" Wood. I was just hoping, fingers crossed, that some kind, wonderful person on this site of love will tape the show for us poor buggers who live in the middle of nowhere. And perhaps burn it for us, on say, oooohh, i dunno, Vcd? Dvd even?
07-24-03 09:25 PM
parmeda
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
----------blank stare----------

You will be happy to know, that as I was reading along and approached this post...coffee went EVERYWHERE. And, dare I say what happened to the mascara?

Thanks guys...I look like a fucking mess right now
*rotflmao*
07-24-03 10:37 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Martha wrote:
AND..........at Ford Field...

I didn't know you were in Detroit! It was my first of 3 shows on the tour (4 if you include Wednesday). They had had a seven-day break and were absolutely on fire!
07-24-03 11:03 PM
Martha
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

I didn't know you were in Detroit! It was my first of 3 shows on the tour (4 if you include Wednesday). They had had a seven-day break and were absolutely on fire!

I hear you Lazy Bones..ON FIRE>>>I was astounded and totally blown away by the show. It was as if I had taken a perfectly clean hit of LSD and within the first five songs I started to go up, up, up....and away! It was and will probably remain the most intense show I've ever seen live...bar none. Glad to learn you got to see it too!

And....Keef was unstoppable that night. I fell for him hard and changed my avatar after that experience. He's my guitar playing guy now. LOL
07-24-03 11:22 PM
CS Mick Jagger counsels patience, positivity
Aaron Wherry
National Post
Thursday, July 24, 2003

TORONTO -- Mick Jagger yesterday offered health tips to the estimated half-million people who will attend next week's Concert for Toronto, and dismissed the ''whinging'' of a newspaper whose enthusiasm for the event he deemed insufficient.

"Everything's going according to plan, as much as you can plan for half a million people in a day,'' he said yesterday. ''If you have half a million people someone is going to fall over and break their wrist. The laws of averages come into play."

"Be patient. Bring lots of water. And it depends on the weather what you're going to bring with you. If it's going to be warm you've got to make sure you don't get burned. ''

''And you've got to drink lots of water not to dehydrate."

Sir Mick was speaking in a hastily arranged phone interview yesterday from Hamburg, Germany -- the latest stop on the Stones' European tour.

The legendary lead singer was the centrepiece of a mini media blitz initiated by the band's management, who had threatened to pull the Stones after a series of negative articles in the Toronto Star and elsewhere.

Though he said was loath to discuss any negative sentiments, Mr. Jagger dismissed criticism of next week's concert as "whinging"and promised a "fantastic" day for those in attendance. Mr. Jagger said the nearly half a million tickets sold indicated to him that critics of the concert are in the minority.

"I think there's one newspaper that's whinging and moaning. I don't quite know why. I don't know what their whinge is," Mr. Jagger told the National Post. "I mean, I don't know what's gone wrong so far, but lots of people seem to have bought tickets. That's always a good indication. If that particular newspaper doesn't enjoy it on the day -- too bad for them."

He likened the controversy and cynicism to similar attitudes in the British media.

"It's the same in England: If something's going well, there's always people who whinge about it. It's a very English thing to do," he said. "I'm surprised that Canadians follow their lead. Still, there's some things inherited.

"To be honest, I'm not concerned with the negatives of one small newspaper. I'm sure that it's really meaningless in the context of the show. I hadn't even heard about it till today and I don't really care about it."

Various complaints have been raised about the July 30 concert, which will also feature AC/DC, Justin Timberlake, The Guess Who, Sam Roberts and many other acts.

Specifically, critics have taken issue with public transportation to and from the Downsview venue in north Toronto, potentially high food prices and various restrictions placed upon concertgoers that have since been eased. Some have even questioned organizers' intentions -- arguing the concert is more a photo opportunity than a benefit event for those who suffered hardship as a result of the SARS outbreak.

Speaking three days before his 60th birthday, Mr. Jagger said he had yet to finalize a setlist and would likely come up with something specifically suited to the occasion.

"I've not really got a setlist for 500,000 people in Canada," Mr. Jagger joked. "I haven't got a template for that."

He also admitted to being shocked at current ticket sales -- attendance is expected to peak at approximately 430,000.

"When we started off, when we were discussing it, I said, 'Well, how many people do you think we're going to get?' There's lots of other acts and of course lots of people come to see everyone else. And the concert is an event for Toronto. I mean I wouldn't be so immodest to think all these people would turn up just for us," he said.

"But when we were talking about it originally, I thought, considering we've already been in Toronto and played shows there not that long ago, I figured maybe we'd get 75,000 to 100,000."

The concert, which is divided into afternoon and evening sets, may last into the late hours of the night, but Mr. Jagger said he hopes organizers keep things on schedule.

"When I've been to some of these shows before, one of the things that worries me is that it gets very long and late," he said. "I'm trying to make sure that doesn't happen. I mean, I'm sure we're gonna run it as tight as possible."

He also asked for patience from the throngs of people who will likely create lengthy traffic jams entering and leaving the venue and surrounding area and warned that not even the best planning can eliminate the possibility of unfortunate incidents.

"Be patient. Bring lots of water," the singer advised. Organizers are limiting concertgoers to two 500-ml containers for non-alcoholic beverages, but free water refills will be available on site.

The band is due to arrive in Toronto on July 28, after performing in Prague this Sunday. The band will go through a soundcheck the day before the concert and be fully recovered from any jet lag when they take the stage late Wednesday, Mr. Jagger assures.

"I'm really flattered that we've been asked to do the show and I'm really pleased that it seems to be going so well," he said. " I'm really excited about coming back there. And it's going to be a fantastic day if all goes well, which I hope it will. And we're going to remember it forever."

6 DAYS LEFT:

IDOMO GUY

Though Gerrit de Boer's confidence level sunk half a point yesterday, he remains strongly supportive of the Rolling Stones concert. In recognition of Calgary's decision to hold a simulcast of the concert at the Saddledome, Mr. de Boer, owner and president of the Idomo furniture store across from Downsview Park, added a line yesterday to the sign he has put up outside his store thanking Mick Jagger and the rest of the musicians who are coming to Toronto. The new addition reads: "We love T.O. and we love beef too!"

Mr. de Boer incurred $7-million worth of damage when raw sewage flooded his store's basement after last year's papal Mass at Downsview Park. The National Post will be checking in with Mr. de Boer regularly in the lead-up to the July 30 concert.

Idomo Confidence Level: 8 out of a 10 (a decrease of 0.5 from yesterday)

Measured: Wednesday at 1:30 p.m.

Comments on Confidence Level: "My confidence level is a 10 when I see how we as Canadians are bonding together. When I see how mayors across this country, starting with Calgary, are arranging simulcast broadcasts [of the concert] it feels great to be a Canadian."

STONES-CAST:

Updated daily. For Wednesday, July 30.

Morning sun. Increasing afternoon cloud, wind SW 20 km/h. Risk of late day shower. High 27
07-25-03 02:28 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! I've been gone from the board for a while, I come back and one of the first things I see is another brilliant post by jb. Some things just never change do they.
By the way, does anyone know why this major event will not be broadcast live in the states?
07-25-03 08:00 AM
Lazy Bones Friday, July 25, 2003

Show kicks off 1.5 hours early
By SARAH GREEN -- Toronto Sun

TORONTO -- Let's spend the day together.

The Rolling Stones concert, originally scheduled for 1:30 p.m., now kicks off at noon next Wednesday to accommodate the 15 performers in the all-day lineup at Downsview Park.

The evening session, featuring the headliners as well as Justin Timberlake, the Guess Who, Rush and AC/DC, will also start 45 minutes earlier at 5 p.m.

The Stones will take their final bow at 11 p.m.

"We want to give everybody an opportunity to see the acts that are on this bill. A lot of acts got added on," said Riley O'Connor, vice-president of House of Blues. "We have more acts than hours allow."

Fans who want to toast the start of the concert with a picnic lunch can now bring a blanket to sit on, promoters announced yesterday.

The list of restricted items was also eased to allow the 430,000 fans expected at the benefit concert to bring disposable cameras.

But leave umbrellas, strollers and pets at home, promoters warned.

"A lot of concerns are really safety issues," O'Connor said, adding the list is final. "Our insurance is set in place. We have to be ready to go now."

Most of all, O'Connor urged fans to bring a hat if it's sunny, a raincoat if it's drizzly and practical, comfortable footwear.

Tickets -- nearly 405,000 have been bought so far -- will not be sold after 6 p.m. on the day of the concert.

More than $400,000 has been raised to date for hospitality and health-care workers hard-hit by SARS.

Construction at Downsview Park is on schedule and performers are slated to hit the stage Tuesday for sound checks.

Promoters also addressed rumours that Christina Aguilera -- performing in Toronto the night before with Timberlake -- and Paul McCartney will make surprise appearances on stage.

"We're hearing the same rumours. I have no idea," O'Connor said, who denied he was playing coy. "I've done a lot of concerts in the last 30 years. I've had special guests drop in, just show up on the night of the show while the band's on stage.

"We've got so much stuff there we can handle anything," he said.

TOILET PAPER FROM HERE TO MEMPHIS

Now that's rock and rolls.

For the comfort of 430,000 Rolling Stones fans at Downsview Park next Wednesday, organizers have brought in 1,546 km of toilet paper.

"That will stretch from here to Memphis," said Jo-Ann McArthur, president of Molson Sports and Entertainment.

The toilet paper will be well-used in the 3,500 porta-potties scattered throughout the 323-hectare site.

The fans will enter through three gates -- near the Wilson and Downsview subway stations and at Sheppard Ave. and Chesswood Dr. -- starting at 8 a.m.

The food area will take up three hectares of the park, with 75 tractor trailers trucking snacks into Downsview Park.

Five hundred concession stands will have 250,000 hot dogs and 250,000 hamburgers made from Alberta beef.

There will also be 4 million litres of water on site.

Food prices were not detailed yesterday, but McArthur said fans will pay 10%-15% less than they would at stadiums.

Want something a little stronger than water? There will also be 10 beer tents, accommodating 5,000 people each.

STONES CONCERT, BY THE NUMBERS:

430,00: Expected attendance

50,000: Parking spots

3,500: Portable toilets

600: Hand-washing stations

500: Food concession stands

227,124: Litres of condiments

250: 405-kilo bales of hay given to farmers after the grass was cut at Downsview Park

AREA RESERVED FOR SARS NURSES

Health-care workers who fought SARS won't have to fight for space at SARS-stock.

Toronto-Danforth MP Dennis Mills confirmed there will be a designated area for 5,000 health-care workers who were on the frontlines during the battle against SARS.

"It's all being set up," Mills said, adding more details will be released next week.

There are about 13,000 nurses in the GTA, Ontario Nurses' Association spokesman Peter Birt said yesterday.

But so far they haven't heard anything about a spot for those who played the hero role and might have to book time off work to see the Rolling Stones, AC/DC and the Guess Who among others.

The hospitals aren't aware of the special spots either, Ontario Hospital Association spokesman Camille Marajh said.

There's also a meeting area, dubbed the international pavilion, for 1,000 invited guests from sponsors to ambassadors to politicians.

Mills was quick to point out that guests will pay their own way. "Everyone's going to pay for their beer and everyone's going to pay for their food. There's no freebies at this concert."
07-25-03 08:07 AM
Lazy Bones Jul. 25, 2003. 07:04 AM

CYNTHIA LEE
STAFF REPORTER

The sign on the door of Vanessa Coulter's hair salon next Wednesday will read "Gone Rockin'!"

She and Darlene Powers, co-owners of Headturner, were determined to watch the Rolling Stones and friends live at the concert, so they're going to simply close down the Bathurst St. location.

"We've just decided to book our clients on other days," said Coulter, 30, who plans to attend the concert with about 20 friends.

"I wouldn't want to say I missed it for this. And, I haven't taken a day off in months."

Last month, Mayor Mel Lastman joined Molson CEO Dan O'Neill in urging Toronto businesses to allow their employees a half day off to attend the concert, which also features AC/DC and Justin Timberlake, or to spend the day in the city.

Those who don't have the luxury of running their own schedules have figured out other ways of getting the day off.

Andrea Lord, a receptionist for a downtown advertising agency, fibbed to her manager about having a doctor's appointment the afternoon of the event.

"I was making it sound serious," said the 31-year-old, who didn't want to appear like "the kind of person who went to that kind of thing (concert)" because company management seemed to her to be a little on the conservative side.

"But she (the office manager) said, `Why? You're going to miss out.' They were all going to the concert," said Lord, laughing.

About 25 of the firm's 35 employees plan to hit the Downsview venue.

Lord isn't a huge fan of any of the event's headliners but says she wants to see what it's like attending a show that's expected to draw 430,000.

The same reason prompted education assistant Sue Smith, 48, to plan a 16-hour drive from Thunder Bay with her 49-year-old husband Gerard, a teacher.

Because school's out for the summer, the couple don't have to worry about vacation time.

Gerard waited for eight hours in front of a local A&P to buy tickets earlier this month. "I've been a Stones fan as long as I can remember. I've missed other opportunities before and I said, `I can't miss this one,'" he said.

Robert Sinclair, a 21-year-old computer support technician in New Glasgow, N.S., didn't find out until this week whether he could take the vacation time to attend the concert.

Employees had already arranged their time off in May — a month before the concert was announced. But in a stroke of luck, one of Sinclair's colleagues was promoted and had to spend his holiday training for a new position. "I stole his vacation from him," Sinclair said.

For his first trip to Toronto, Sinclair will take turns driving with his brother-in-law and friend on the 20-hour trek.

Terry Quinn simply booked the time off her job as a dispatcher and secretary for the St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport firefighting station in Florida.

"It wasn't a problem. The second they announced it (the concert), I had my tickets booked on an Air Canada flight," said Quinn, 51.

She'll be joined on the trip by her 44-year-old husband Barry, a house painter and decorator, who is the lead singer of The Wholigans, a tribute band dedicated to The Who.

"It's going to be another Woodstock," said Quinn, a long-time Willowdale resident who moved to the United States in 1992.

Jerry Stone, owner of a Queen St. W. bar dedicated to Mick Jagger and the boys, will let his staff mind the bars Wednesday — he has more exciting plans.

"I'm going to be riding up with the boys, hopefully in their van," he said, adding he's helped out on sound checks for the musicians during past shows.

A devotee who changed his last name in loyalty to the band, Stone plans to keep Stones Place open every night next week even though it's usually closed Mondays through Wednesdays.

Stone has received calls from fans as far away as Arkansas, Florida and California who want to see his place, packed with band memorabilia.

John Matusiak, 37, of Oshawa, a bassist in a local band, says he wants to spend a few days in the city next week.

"I hope I can still book a hotel room for a couple nights."

In St. Thomas yesterday, Premier Ernie Eves said he is looking forward to the concert and has been a fan of the Rolling Stones since the '60s.

When asked what his favourite Rolling Stones song is, Eves replied "`Satisfaction,' of course."

With files from Stan Josey and Robert benzie
07-25-03 08:18 AM
Lazy Bones Fri, July 25, 2003

Special area reserved for SARS nurses at concert

By SARAH GREEN, TORONTO SUN

Health-care workers who fought SARS won't have to fight for space at SARS-stock. Toronto-Danforth MP Dennis Mills confirmed there will be a designated area for 5,000 health-care workers who were on the frontlines during the battle against SARS.

"It's all being set up," Mills said, adding more details will be released next week.

There are about 13,000 nurses in the GTA, Ontario Nurses' Association spokesman Peter Birt said yesterday.

But so far they haven't heard anything about a spot for those who played the hero role and might have to book time off work to see the Rolling Stones, AC/DC and the Guess Who among others.

The hospitals aren't aware of the special spots either, Ontario Hospital Association spokesman Camille Marajh said.

There's also a meeting area, dubbed the international pavilion, for 1,000 invited guests from sponsors to ambassadors to politicians.

Mills was quick to point out that guests will pay their own way. "Everyone's going to pay for their beer and everyone's going to pay for their food. There's no freebies at this concert."
07-25-03 08:18 AM

Border cops ready

By TOM GODFREY, TORONTO SUN

Canada Customs officials say they're gearing up for a flood of Rolling Stones fans from the U.S. who'll be crossing the border for Wednesday's mega concert. Customs officials in Niagara Falls and Windsor said they expect the rush of fans to begin Tuesday. Officials said they've been told by concert organizers that 42,000 tickets for the show were sold in the U.S. Fans are expected from as far away as Texas.

Officers said they'll be fully staffed and don't expect any delays or border lineups.

"We will be monitoring traffic levels and we will be prepared," said customs Niagara Falls spokesman Jean D'Amelio-Swyer.

Customs officials are advising Americans flocking here for the show to bring photo ID and leave their guns and dope at home. Customs officers seize about two weapons weekly at Southern Ontario border crossings.

"We have a plan of action depending on what happens if traffic increases," D'Amelio-Swyer said.

Customs Windsor spokesman Dany Yen said extra staff is brought in to man border crossings during the busy summer season.

"We don't anticipate any major delays," Yen said. "We regularly process people coming here for major events."

The agency will be posting the traffic flow at Southern Ontario border crossings on its Web site at www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca.
07-25-03 08:19 AM

Busted sneaking in booze

By IAN ROBERTSON, TORONTO SUN

A Rolling Stones fan caught trying to bury booze for next week's rock concert got no satisfaction. Bombardier-DeHavilland security staff who spotted him trying to get under the fence along a perimeter between their plant and the former Downsview military base told the interloper you can't always get what you want.

Bombardier guards caught the partygoer with a cache of booze to secret away for the July 30 concert, Nik Chatterjee, property manager at Downsview Park, which supervises the base for the department of national defence, said yesterday.

Citing security issues, a spokesman for Bombardier said staff could not comment on the incident. The type or volume of alcohol was not revealed.

Police were told of the case but were not asked to take over.

Toronto Police said the property will soon be locked down and secured, with guards patrolling the fringes.
07-25-03 08:20 AM
Lazy Bones ...pant, pant...
Page: 1 2