ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With the Mayor Mel Lastman receiving the gold key to the city of Toronto
Canada's Walk of Fame, Greig Reekie, HO/AP Photos
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAΡOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 'Jazzed' Stones planning spectacular show Return to archive Page: 1 2
07-23-03 07:49 AM
Lazy Bones Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Surprises will roll
'Jazzed' Stones planning spectacular show
By SARAH GREEN -- Toronto Sun

TORONTO -- Expect the unexpected at the Rolling Stones concert.

But the surprises will only come from the performers on stage, promoters said yesterday, adding they are well prepared for the 430,000 fans expected at Downsview Park a week from today.

Steve Howard of TGA Entertainment disputed critics who say organizers have had too little time to pull together the all-day concert, including building a massive turntable stage.

"For this show we actually have more time to build it than we're used to having on all of our other major stadium shows on this tour," Howard said.

Crews have seven days to build the stage when they usually have three. They also have four days to load in the sound-and-light production when they usually have one, he said.

"We are absolutely confident that at the end of the day you will judge this event as nothing but amazing."

The show is split into afternoon and evening sessions, beginning at 1:30 p.m. and 5:45 p.m. Jim Belushi and Dan Aykroyd will open both sessions. The Stones will close the show.

The 15 acts, including The Guess Who, AC/DC, Rush, Sam Roberts and Justin Timberlake, will perform for 15 minutes to more than an hour.

"The Rolling Stones have been working very, very hard on making sure this is a spectacular and stellar event," said promoter Riley O'Connor, vice-president of House of Blues.

"I think we're going to be seeing some nice surprises, some duets possibly, and maybe some surprise interesting talent lineups."

The Stones have not determined how long they'll play or their set list, a detail the band usually finalizes 90 minutes before a show, Howard said.

With nearly 400,000 tickets sold, sales are expected to peak at 430,000.

"They are so jazzed about this show," Howard said of the Stones.

ORDER OF PERFORMERS: 1:30 p.m.
# Jim Belushi, Dan Aykroyd and Have Love Will Travel Revue
# Sam Roberts
# Kathleen Edwards
# La Chicane
# Tea Party
# The Flaming Lips
# Sass Jordan with Jeff Healey
# The Isley Brothers
# Blue Rodeo

5:45 p.m.
# Belushi-Aykroyd and Have Love Will Travel Revue
# Justin Timberlake
# The Guess Who
# Rush
# AC/DC
# Rolling Stones

SHOWERS POSSIBLE

Stones fans could be humming Gimme Shelter as they head home from next week's concert.

Although the long-range forecast calls for a fair day next Wednesday, with a mix of sun and clouds, The Weather Network's Bob Anderson says showers are expected after midnight and into the morning.

There's also a possibility of a thunderstorm, but "it's too early to tell," Anderson, manager of meteorological operations, said.

The temperature is expected to reach 25C to 27C during the concert.

Promoter Riley O'Connor said the show goes on "rain or shine."

"The event is going to happen no matter what the weather is," said O'Connor, vice-president of House of Blues.

The show will be halted only if lightning is within striking distance, he said.

O'Connor advised fans to watch the weather forecast and dress appropriately. "It's going to be a long day," he added. "Have really good footwear."
07-23-03 08:19 AM
Lazy Bones Jul. 23, 2003. 06:14 AM
TANNIS TOOHEY/TORONTO STAR
Toronto police staff Superintendent Gary Grant discusses security issues with reporters during a news conference held yesterday for the Rolling Stones concert at Downsview Park next week. About 430,000 are expected for the event which will also feature AC/DC, Rush and the Guess Who.

KEVIN MCGRAN
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

Fun and surprises.

Secret parking spots.

The scent of marijuana.

Next week's Rolling Stones event — which looked last week as if it would be no-fun, on-your-feet-day-and-night and obey-the-rules drudgery — seems to be turning into what it was supposed to be: a rock concert.

Remember how rigid the rules seemed? How people would have to walk home? And don't try to smuggle in a little dope.

Well, organizers are lightening up a little. Parking has been found for 50,000 cars and cyclists can lock their bikes along the perimeter fence. And while the police wouldn't actually say it, they don't seem to be all that worried if a rock music fan — gasp — smokes a little pot.

The July 30 concert is now scheduled to begin at 1:30 p.m., with Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi and Have Love Will Travel kicking things off for the afternoon set, followed by Sam Roberts, Kathleen Edwards, La Chicane, Tea Party, the Flaming Lips, Sass Jordan, the Isley Brothers and Blue Rodeo.

Belushi-Aykroyd will also kick off the evening set, followed by Justin Timberlake, the Guess Who, Rush, AC/DC and the Rolling Stones.

The order of appearances may change and the prospect was raised that Mick Jagger might have something up his sleeve, maybe a duet or two, maybe a surprise guest appearance.

"I think you can expect a couple of surprises through the day," said Riley O'Connor, vice-president of the House of Blues, Molson's promotional wing.

At yesterday's news conference held by Molson's to promote the event, the mood seemed much lighter than last week's, when promoters took heat for looking so disorganized. They tried to quell those fears yesterday, saying they've had more time to get the site ready — two weeks — than the usual one or two days.

"I am absolutely confident that at the end of the day, people will judge this event as nothing but amazing," said Steve Howard of TGA Entertainment, the Stones' tour management company, adding the band is "so jazzed" about the concert that it's an "hourly" topic of conversation on their European tour.

The Stones plan to arrive in Toronto on Monday, after a gig in Prague. How they're getting to Downsview Park two days later "is a secret," said Howard.

For the rest of the 430,000 people expected at the concert a week from today, getting in might be less of a hassle than originally feared. Organizers are still saying the best way to get there is by the TTC, but have now said cyclists can lock their bikes against the perimeter's chain-link fence. And if you want to drive, well, now you can.

But to park, drivers must phone 1-877-365-7090 to reserve a spot. Callers will be given a location and a confirmation number. Parking costs $25 and if parking spots are far away, shuttle buses will take fans within walking distance.

Ann Corbitt, the event's transportation manager, said the lots are being kept secret because "we're trying to control access to it so people really have to call to find out where the lots are." They're all within 6 kilometres of the site, mostly malls and industrial parks, she said. A free shuttle service to Downsview Park is available for those parking far away, she said.

Profits from the parking — and from the show itself — will be split between two charities: one for laid-off hospitality workers, the other for health-care workers.

As for recreational drugs, fans will be searched. Officially, no drugs will be allowed in the park, said Staff Superintendent Gary Grant. But he added later: "The last thing we want to do is go into a crowd and eject someone for smoking a joint.''

To prevent the police from finding anything, the suggestion was it would be better to throw it away. There will be a "receptacle to drop off stashes,'' said a smiling Grant, adding, "We're there to see people have fun.''

Organizers also said there will be no rush to clear the site after the show, so those who just want to sleep it off, can do so.

"There's no camping," said O'Connor. "We're not forcing people off. Obviously people are going to be sitting down, resting. If they're sleeping for a couple of hours, we're not going to roll them off.

"If it takes them six, or seven or eight hours to get off the site, fine."

On the way in, there will be three gates, at least 30 metres wide, so volume shouldn't be an issue. But there will be searches, including a "wanding" by metal detector for weapons. Bags will be searched. Once inside the park, there will be no reserved seating for the concert. About 1,200 police officers will patrol the site with 1,500 private security people helping to prevent overcrowding near the stage, which is barricaded.

"We've allowed for any build-up of crowd, to ease any pressure," said O'Connor. "We have multi-channels of egress as far as barricading is concerned.

"This is field and an airstrip. Sit on the grass, by all means. There's a lot of room here."

About 430,000 folks are expected to show up — down from last week's estimate of 500,000 — but it still makes this event the "largest single-day ticketed event in North America,'' said O'Connor.

He said tickets will be available for sale up to 6 p.m. on the day of the show, but O'Connor is urging everyone who has purchased tickets to pick them up as soon as possible. About 40,000 visitors are expected from the United States.

David Jones, director of public relations for Molson's, said the company was not yet ready to announce the prices for beer and concession items but promised that they would be lower than what is generally paid at other attractions.

Waste from the 3,500 toilets will be hauled to a disposal site to avoid the sewage overflow that occurred during World Youth Day last summer.

The plan for crowd and traffic control from World Youth Day has been dusted off, but a few changes were needed because the Stones event is on a Wednesday night, not an easier-to-handle Sunday, and because everyone will be leaving at once, not in dribs and drabs the way they did during the Pope's visit.

"I think we have a plan that has a number of options in it, that gives them walking routes, that gives them public transit, the car, bus, we give them a little bit of everything," said Corbitt, who was also manger of transportation for World Youth Day.

The TTC will run a shuttle service along Sheppard Ave. to the subway along with more subways running throughout the city. GO Transit is running extra buses up Yonge St. and has scheduled the last trains leaving Union Station for 3:13 a.m. (eastbound to Oshawa) and 3:43 a.m. (westbound to Hamilton).

Allen Rd. will be closed all the way south to Eglinton Ave. for pedestrian traffic. Police Chief Julian Fantino is expected to brief councillors tomorrow on security for the concert.

Councillor Gloria Lindsay Luby, acting chair of the police services board, has raised concerns about whether the city will be on the hook for the overtime bill for police officers.

Event promoters have agreed to pay the costs for off-duty officers inside Downsview Park, but additional police officers will be needed elsewhere, which will drive up overtime costs.
07-23-03 08:40 AM
stonedinaustralia wow, for a moment there i thought they were going to say the stones had prepared a special "jazz music" set for the show - some kind of 30 minute free form jam session - wouldn't that set all those who complain about predictable set lists back in their seats!!

"it's in the key of E flat - just think of miles davis and go for it, ronnie"
07-23-03 10:25 AM
Lazy Bones Ya, right up Charlie's alley!
07-23-03 10:43 AM
Sir Stonesalot Why didn't they release any of this info before? It still doesn't sound good enough to get me to go...but it doesn't sound nearly as bad as it did 2 weeks ago.

I just hope to God that Mick doesn't do something stupid like try a duet with Justin. I think I'd gag.
07-23-03 10:49 AM
nankerphelge I'm surprised that Justin is on the evening bill -- they should boot him to the end of the afternoon line-up!

There are a lot of rumours flying that U2 is to be added this weekend -- maybe they'll bump ol' Justin!!! Not that it would be much better because...

BONO IS A TWAT!!!!
07-23-03 11:34 AM
Dandelion* But I thought you guys liked twats?
07-23-03 11:56 AM
mac_daddy I wouldn't cross the street for the afternoon bill...

sounds like they are gonna do the special-guest bonanza: how much do you wanna bet Sheryl Crow will be there? MAybe Bono can screw up the words to IORR like he did at the Aragon last year...

oh, and if it starts to rain, sitting on that grass will be hella-pleasant!
07-23-03 12:13 PM
Sir Stonesalot Someone posted about a special VIP section for celebs that are not taking part in the show, but want to watch....

That is seriously fucked. If they want to watch...BUY A FUCKING TICKET like everyone else. Just because they are "someone" doesn't mean that they should be exempt from the rigors of the festival. They should have to wait in line to piss just like everyone else. They should have to play hell getting in and out...just like everyone else.

I bet they'll have the nerve to bitch about all the photogs messing up their "good time".

Also...what is up with the attendence drop? I thought they had already sold 500,000?
07-23-03 12:35 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
how much do you wanna bet Sheryl Crow will be there?

She's performing at Radio Music Hall in NY that night.
07-23-03 01:14 PM
mac_daddy good thing we didn't bet, LB
07-23-03 05:46 PM
WastedAway Sir Stonesalot ........ the concert details are changing daily, very rapidly, and from the sounds of it, all for the better. There are going to be quite a few "surprises" apparently but they are not saying what they are. The Stones have been talking to each of the other band's management, and, apparently the Stones Rock Toronto venue is "an hourly conversation for the Stones entourage while touring in Europe". Things are looking real good! It is possible that the VIP visiting musicians just may take the stage. Again, there are still bands to be added. I noticed that the Eagles are playing in New Jersey on July 25 and are then off til Aug 6 when they play again in Arizona. And it is their "Farewell" tour. Who knows? Wouldn't THAT be awesome. At any rate, you can now REALLY feel the excitement building around the concert. I also heard some lower attendance numbers, but, tickets will be available until 6 PM the day of the concert apparently. Mind you, who really knows how many will show? Remember Woodstock? The attendance was supposed to be 60,000.
Good to hear that Mick and the boys are also very excited about coming. Unfortunately though, some newspaper in Toronto started a "poll" to find out what songs the fans want to hear, and listed them in the paper. What a joke. I sure hope the band doesn't see it, and, if they do, I hope they stay as far away from that set list as possible, and continue with what they are playing on their current tour. I'm hopeful that they don't see it, or succumb to that bullshit. I also wish they would do away with ALL polls, for all topics, as they suck! They don't change a damn thing and they are ridiculous.
Anyway, will try to keep everyone posted as to the daily changes here. They are all looking good.
Lazy bones ..... keep up the great work posting those articles..... thanks!
07-23-03 06:13 PM
T&A Wouldn't be surprised if the Stones invited a guest or two on stage with them. I would be shocked, however, if the Stones offered up anything other than a standard set of stadium warhorses. Anybody going thinking they are going to hear a Sway or a Lady Jane had best be prepared for none of the above....
07-23-03 06:19 PM
telecaster
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

I just hope to God that Mick doesn't do something stupid like try a duet with Justin. I think I'd gag.

SS I would have a heart attack at that point
07-23-03 07:52 PM
Lazy Bones This article was emailed to me this afternoon (thanks Andrew!). Not sure where it surfaced, however.

By John McKay=
>
> TORONTO (CP) _ It's so typically Canadian.
>
> When the Rolling Stones agreed to do a benefit concert for
> SARS-bruised Toronto, they called it their favourite city. And the
> record shows they've had a long and storied relationship with the
> place, going back to their first gig in 1965.
>
> But it's not difficult to find a Torontonian who is somewhat
> puzzled that the legendary bad boys of rock keep coming back. To
> paraphrase Bogey, of all the gin joints and all the towns in all the
> world, they pick ours.
>
> Maybe it has to do with our paparazzi-lite culture. Only in T.O.,
> for example, could the boys rehearse unharassed for upcoming tours
> as they have so many times. Only here would they all rent bicycles
> for a quiet steel wheels tour of the region during their rehearsal
> breaks.
>
> Only here could they party with a runaway prime minister's wife,
> could Keith Richards get busted by the RCMP for heroin possession
> and get off with probation.
>
> Or maybe it's just Canada as a traditional tax dodge and the fact
> Toronto had been home base for their international tour organizer.
>
> Toronto bar owner Jerry Stone, professing to be on a first-name
> basis with the boys in the band, says it's partly economic, the
> devalued Canadian dollar saving them money.
>
> ``Silly me, always thinking math, economics,'' says Stone, who
> bears a marked resemblance to Jagger, not only in looks, but in the
> manic energy he exudes as be bounces around his west-end watering
> hole which is part pub and part Stones museum, with a dash of New
> Orleans bordello.
>
> But seriously, he's asked.
>
> ``There is a certain kind of love here with the city. I think
> with the boys it's the people themselves of Toronto, (who are) just
> very friendly, outgoing. They're not mobbed on the streets.''
>
> He says that means a lot to the Stones, the ability to actually
> leave their hotel.
>
> ``Keith still has a fear of stepping out, you know, after the
> John Lennon thing. Once in awhile he wants to go wandering till 7 in
> the morning.''
>
> At the start it was a love affair that often came close to being
> out of control.
>
> On their first visit in 1965, they played Maple Leaf Gardens
> twice and were mobbed by fans who climbed all over their limousine.
> Later in London, Ont. a mini-riot broke out and the police pulled
> the plug, literally, on the lights and sound system.
>
> Of the 15 or so appearances here since '65, the most famous _ or
> infamous _ was in 1977, the tour that saw their historic appearances
> at the El Mocambo club, Keith Richards' arrest by the RCMP on heroin
> charges and Margaret Trudeau's scandalous weekend fling with the
> musicians.
>
> It began badly when Keith Richards' wife, Anita Pallenberg, was
> arrested at the airport after marijuana and heroin were found in her
> luggage. She was released on bail. Later, the RCMP raided the
> couple's room at the Harbor Castle hotel and they were arrested for
> possession of heroin for sale, a charge that could bring a life
> sentence.
>
> ``Being famous is OK,'' a very worried Richards said at the time.
> ``But in the courtroom it only works against you.''
>
> The authorities were also worried, aware that a violent fan
> backlash was possible. In the end, Anita and Keith were fined and a
> few weeks later were allowed to leave the country so Keith could
> undergo drug-addiction treatment in New York.
>
> ``I have a strange relationship with this town,'' Richards mused
> during the Bridges to Babylon tour visit in 1997, 20 years after the
> events. He has since thanked Toronto for saving his life by getting
> him on the road to conquering his addiction.
>
> But that wasn't all that happened back in '77. It was also the
> visit during which the band played its now-legendary gig at the El
> Mocambo, with several of the tunes recorded during the live
> appearance ending up on the Love You Live album.
>
> Jerry Stone was in the bar that night.
>
> ``Fabulous! I was right behind the mixing board. It was a crazy
> night, just like a sauna in there.''
>
> Also present was a budding photographer named Margaret Trudeau.
> Maggie had just left her prime minister husband although the country
> didn't know it yet. Her first freedom fling was to accept an invite
> to come to Toronto and party with the Stones.
>
> The whole weekend has been layered in sexual innuendo over the
> years. But in her 1978 autobiography, Beyond Reason (Paddington
> Press), Margaret endeavoured to paint an innocent picture of her
> notorious bout with the Stones, albeit innocent by '70s values.
>
> It began with drinks with Mick. No drugs. He was ``polite and
> charming.''
>
> The next day she ran into Ron Woods in a hotel corridor and he
> invited her to test out her budding photography career by snapping
> pictures at the previous night's session at the Elmo.
>
> She declined to attend a party afterwards.
>
> The following afternoon there was a tiny rattling of her hotel
> door handle. In the hallway was Keith Richards' seven-year-old son
> Marlon, crying. She accompanied him back to the Stones' suite and
> found Richards overdosed on the floor, moaning in a fetal position.
> She did her best to haul him into a bed and stayed to babysit the
> worried, abandoned youngster until the others, including Mick and
> Pallenberg, Marlon's mom, returned from a shopping trip.
>
> That night, it was dinner with Wood and Charlie Watts, which
> ended with her return to her room at midnight. At 5 a.m., a call
> from the lobby. The Stones wanted to come up and play dice. She
> dressed and the gang arrived, ordering champagne from room service.
>
> ``We settled down to drink, play dice, smoke a little hash,''
> Margaret writes. ``Mick and Keith disappeared into a corner to work
> out a new number. It was fun.''
>
> At 9 a.m. the band members began to depart to their own rooms,
> with Wood the last to leave.
>
> The following morning she left for New York and says she never
> saw the Stones again.
>
> But the scandal had exploded in the media with headlines alleging
> a sex orgy had occurred involving the wife of the prime minister.
>
> ``By then I was branded: a promiscuous, irresponsible wife.''
>
> Drugs were always a part of the Stones experience, on the part of
> the fans as well as the band.
>
> Bob Heise of Brampton, Ont. was a diehard Stones fan in his youth
> and saw them play in person twice, once in the early 1980s in
> Pontiac, Mich. when he was only 15, then in 1989 during one of the
> Steel Wheels Tour stops in Toronto.
>
> He recalls approaching the U.S. border at Detroit on a tourbus
> filled with drunken, stoned revellers.
>
> ``The customs agent came on, she got to the third guy and he was
> so wasted. She just said `You Canadians are pathetic!' and waved us
> through.''
>
> At the stadium, too, the authorities had a huge garbage bin into
> which they pitched all the confiscated booze bottles.
>
> Heise, now 37, will be there again at Downsview Park Wednesday
> but is expecting a much tamer crowd.
>
> ``It's not going to be a Woodstock-type thing because mindsets
> have changed, right? Look at me. Now I don't drink, I don't do drugs
> and there was a time when I did.''
>
> He concedes it's quite possible that members of the older
> generations in the crowd will embarrass the younger fans as they try
> to recapture their youth.
07-24-03 07:45 AM
Lazy Bones Thursday, July 24, 2003

Pope, not time, on the Stones' side
'We're a slightly different event,' Jagger jokes
By JANE STEVENSON -- Toronto Sun

Mick Jagger sounded "holy" confident yesterday that there won't be any major logistical problems at next week's SARS-stock concert at Downsview Park.

And the man who co-wrote Sympathy For The Devil thanks the Pope for that.

Jagger and the Rolling Stones were in Toronto last July rehearsing for their 2002-03 world tour when His Holiness drew 800,000 people to the same park where the legendary rockers will perform next Wednesday.

Jagger said he watched the event on Toronto television.

"One can learn from things," Jagger, who turns 60 on Saturday, told The Toronto Sun yesterday down the line from Hamburg, Germany, on a day off before the Stones resume their European tour tonight.

'LOT OF EXPERIENCE'

"People will have learned from that event in that same space. There's a lot of experience in the city and in that particular place. It's not like doing it somewhere where no one's ever done it before. So I think that does make it easier."

As for how he feels about following the Pope on the same site, Jagger joked: "I think we're a slightly different event."

The biggest criticism of SARS-stock has been that organizers have had less than a month to organize it, while planning for the Pope's visit took two years.

Jagger knows what can go wrong at a mass-gathering outdoor concert.

In December 1969 near San Francisco, the Stones held a free concert before 300,000 people.

Four people died as violence broke out, largely because drunken Hells Angels bikers began roughing up concert-goers and even performers.

About 430,000 fans are expected to show up for the Toronto concert.

Jagger sounded genuinely surprised that so many tickets have been sold.

"I'm very excited. I must say that when we talked about doing it, I wasn't sure how many people were going to want to come. You never really know. So to have as many people as this ... is quite incredible. So it's very, very exciting."

SARS-stock, which also features stars such as AC/DC, The Guess Who and Blue Rodeo, will draw the largest crowd of any concert in Canadian history.

"We're very enthusiastic about doing it," Jagger said. "Of course, having said that, then you start thinking: Is there going to be enough water -- for everyone, not just for me? I don't know. We've got quite a lot of water, like 31/2 million litres of water to provide.

'RATHER WONDERFUL'

"Initially we didn't think it was going to be that big, so we've had to readjust ourselves to this amount of people. It's rather wonderful, but it also means that you've got to cater for a lot more people."

The Stones' Toronto-based promoter, Michael Cohl, recently told The Sun that if some of the media didn't stop whining about last-minute details of the event, Mick and the boys wouldn't even come.

But Jagger said that was never an option.

"No! But apparently there was one paper (the Toronto Star) that was whining and whingeing."

Jagger said that ultimately the Stones felt it was important to support the city, whose tourism industry was hit hard by the stigma of the SARS epidemic.

"I thought it was great to do something, that (Torontonians) want to say, 'Okay, this is all over. And Toronto's a great place to come to,' so we love to be part of that. We have a long relationship with Toronto and Canada, generally, and it felt very natural to do this. I'm very pleased about it and very happy to do it. And I'm sure it's going to be a great success."
07-24-03 07:47 AM
Lazy Bones Thursday, July 24, 2003

'It's going to be huge event'
Stones will rock for more than an hour at SARS-Stock next week, says Mick Jagger
By JANE STEVENSON -- Toronto Sun

The Rolling Stones plan to perform for more than an hour at next Wednesday's SARS-Stock extravaganza at Downsview Park, according to frontman Mick Jagger.

"I think we'll do it a bit longer than that, a bit longer than an hour," Jagger tells The Toronto Sun yesterday on the phone from Hamburg, Germany.

"I haven't done the set list yet, I must admit. I think this one I better do it a bit early -- I'll start maybe doing it (today)."

As for whether the Stones' headlining performance will be a condensed version of the shows they've been delivering on the European leg of the tour -- the last three stadium shows have kicked off with Brown Sugar and ended with either Satisfaction or Jumping Jack Flash -- Jagger thought that was a reasonable guess.

"Perhaps it might be -- yes. As I've said, I haven't done the set list yet. I haven't really worked out what we're going to do. We'll see."

Jagger says the Stones, who are reportedly arriving in town Monday after playing a date in Prague on Sunday night, will visit the Downsview site on Tuesday.

'GREAT IDEA'

"We're going to go definitely. We're all going to sound check on the day before," he says.

Jagger also didn't rule out some collaborations with other artists on the enormous stage.

Others on the bill are AC/DC, The Guess Who, Justin Timberlake, Rush, Sam Roberts, The Flaming Lips, Kathleen Edwards, The Isley Brothers, Sass Jordan, La Chicane, Blue Rodeo and Tea Party.

"Yes, maybe we could," Jagger says. "We haven't actually done it yet but who knows?"

Jagger says he does approach performing for 430,000 people -- the expected crowd at Downsview -- differently than a smaller concert but doesn't feel the weight of responsibility on his shoulders alone.

"It's going to be a huge event and though it will be I'm sure fantastic, we've got a lot of other people on the show. We've got lots of great international acts, American acts, British acts, Canadian acts, and it's going to be a wonderful day and a wonderful event. And I think the Rolling Stones are going to put on a great show and everyone else will do their best. And the whole event itself will become a wonderful day to enjoy and to remember afterwards."

At a press conference Tuesday, local organizers said that SARS-Stock was an hourly topic of conversation in the Stones camp.

Jagger says that may have been an overstatement.

"It's not all-consuming, but I'm sort of keeping up with it," he explains.

"(Trying to) see if there any problems, see if everything's on time and on schedule. You got to keep on top of it a little bit. Make sure everyone knows what they're doing."

Jagger couldn't recall exactly when the Stones and their Toronto concert promoter Michael Cohl were first contacted about headlining a show to combat the city's suffering image due to two serious SARS outbreaks.

He did say though his initial reaction was positive.

"I thought it was a great idea to do something like this. I thought we could do it. My only immediate concern was 'Aren't we supposed to be touring Europe?' So when we could work that out, moved a few things around, we scheduled this show on."

Jagger says the band, whose last date on the current leg of their tour is Sept. 15, was only too aware of the SARS problem because they were in Singapore when the first deadly outbreak in the world occurred.

"You probably know that we were supposed to go to China and Hong Kong and we couldn't go, so we were right in the middle of SARS and saw the whole thing develop," Jagger says. "And we had a lot of sitting around time to do with not a lot on but check on SARS. And we saw what was going on in Toronto, which was the worst affected city in the western world, so to speak. And so we did follow all that and it was very unfortunate what happened in Toronto.

WANTS 'PERFECT DAY'

"And the other places too. So I was very up to the minute with what was going on in the major centres. We were stuck in one of them."

Before The Sun's chat with Jagger, one of his handlers asks about the long-range weather forecast for next Wednesday's concert. But when I ask Mick if he was worried about heat and humidity, he says no.

"I'm not worried about that myself, I'm just worried about the whole event," he says with a chuckle. "We've had a huge heat wave in Europe so every show we've done has been in raging heat, even in Scandinavia, which is, I suppose like Canada in some ways.

"We hope it's the perfect temperature for the amount of people that are coming. We hope it's a perfect day. But unfortunately we can't really order it. We can hope."

In the meantime, Jagger has another big event on his mind this week.

He turns 60 this Saturday in Prague but says the birthday party -- or parties -- will pale in comparison to the Downsview gathering.

"It's not so big -- not as big as the one in Toronto!" he jokes.

When asked to reflect on the milestone, Jagger adds: "It's lots of things. It's just another day like any other and then it's a birthday and I'm sure I'll have a fantastic time. And I have a show the day after so I don't quite know how I'm going to be."
07-24-03 08:05 AM
LadyJane Thanks for posting LB!!

Great way to start my day!!

Sounds like Mick is really excited. Those of us planning on attending are surely in for a great time.

LadyJ.

Okay.....let the naysayers begin
07-24-03 10:00 AM
Lazy Bones Jul. 24, 2003. 07:18 AM

CHRIS SORENSEN
STAFF REPORTER

There's a good chance Rolling Stones fans who can't attend next week's concert for Toronto will be able to catch the event in its entirety on television.

While executives from CBC and MuchMoreMusic were finalizing broadcast and cable TV details last night, a source at Chum Television said yesterday the plan for MMM was an all-day, live broadcast from Downsview Park.

If given the go ahead, it would be MuchMoreMusic's "biggest show ever," the source said.

Meanwhile, CBC television has already amended its July 30 line-up to carry two hours of the concert between 9 and 11 p.m., and rebroadcast the the show at midnight, although there was no official word from the national broadcaster about the details of its programming plans.

MuchMoreMusic general manager David Kines refused to comment on the subject last night, saying only that an announcement was scheduled for this morning at 11.

"We're still working it out," Kines said. "And I can tell you from the meeting I'm in right now that it ain't settled — for either us or the CBC."

The July 30 concert is scheduled to begin at 1:30 p.m., with Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi and Have Love Will Travel kicking things off in the afternoon. They are to be followed by Sam Roberts, Kathleen Edwards, La Chicane, Tea Party, the Flaming Lips, Sass Jordan, the Isley Brothers and Blue Rodeo.

Justin Timberlake, the Guess Who, Rush, AC/DC and the Rolling Stones will play during the evening.

Some 430,000 people are expected to attend, making it the largest ticketed concert in North American history.
07-24-03 10:01 AM
Lazy Bones Jul. 24, 2003. 01:00 AM
Calls swamp phone lines to order reserved parking

KEVIN MCGRAN
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

Rolling Stones fan Ken Mitchell figures he must have phoned the number to reserve a parking spot for next week's concert "about 600 times." And he still couldn't get through. "I can understand a lot of people are calling, but I think the phone's off the hook," said Mitchell, who said he called for two straight hours before giving up. The word from organizers is that the phone number 1-877-365-7090, or within Toronto 416-466-3955, works, and 10 people are taking calls.. But Molson will beef that number up to 40.

Although it has located spots for 50,000 cars and buses, Molson is keeping the parking sites a secret, forcing those among the 430,000 expected concert-goers to phone the toll-free number to get a reserved spot.

Reserved spots cost $25 each. Organizers say the best way to the concert is by the TTC. Bikes can be locked on the fence perimeter. Carpooling is being encouraged for those who drive.Event Transportation System said yesterday it has arranged a charter fleet of buses to carry fans to and from the concert. The price was not announced..

Construction at the Downsview Park concert site continued yesterday as crews erected metal towers over two levels of scaffolding to support the roof over the turntable stage.

Crews also began wrapping vinyl sheeting over the metal skeleton of a large temporary building that will house hospitality facilities for sponsors. Wahta Springs of Hamilton has won the bottle water contract for the concert. It will have 60 booths at the concert site to distribute some 2 million litres of water. It will also provide 175,000 litres of water for free.

With files from Valerie Hauch, Jim Wilkes AND Canadian Press
07-24-03 10:31 AM
Sir Stonesalot >I noticed that the Eagles are playing in New Jersey on July 25 and are then off til Aug 6 when they play again in Arizona. And it is their "Farewell" tour. Who knows? Wouldn't THAT be awesome. <

You better be talking about the Philadelphia Eagles.

It's bad enough that the Stones are sharing a stage with Justin and Geddy...but to add the %#@les(I can't even type their name.)...that would just be too much. At that point I would have to call up GW and get him to invade Canada.

I can think of a few bands that suck equally as bad...but none that suck worse. They are a black hole...a sucking, dark, lifeless void.

I, for one, hope they are VERY serious about the farewell.
07-24-03 10:54 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
You better be talking about the Philadelphia Eagles.

Don't think so..lol. They're still in camp with their first preseason game, 11th August vs. The Saints in New Orleans.
07-24-03 10:58 AM
Lazy Bones Speaking of the Eagles, Marc, I presume you've seen this year's schedule?! Three Monday-nighters! I tried getting tix for Buffalo as it's their closest road game to me (28th Sept) ;but they had "singles only", even before the public on-sale date 2 weeks ago - sold out that morning.

They're in Detroit next year, however. Better luck then.

I presume you've got tix for a game in the new Lin Fin Field?
07-24-03 11:15 AM
Sir Stonesalot Unfortunately, no tix for the new place yet.

They sold EVERY seat as a season ticket.

I did see the 3 Monday gigs though...very nice. The first one with the Bucs. It'll be good to bust the Champs lips early on. Get that mo' right off the bat.
07-24-03 12:19 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
They sold EVERY seat as a season ticket.

Good thing I hadn't made plans for a road trip.
07-24-03 12:23 PM
jb Why is Keith playing so poorly this tour...is he just beiong lazy or has he really lost it ?
07-24-03 01:44 PM
Sir Stonesalot ----------blank stare----------
07-24-03 01:48 PM
jb Well, this is what is being reported SS!
07-24-03 06:43 PM
Sir Stonesalot He played pretty fuckin' good the nights I saw him!

People can report all they want, but I know what I saw & heard.

Keith was a MONSTER at that 1st MSG show...and at Roseland.
07-24-03 08:14 PM
Martha
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
----------blank stare----------

----------ditto------------------
Page: 1 2