ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang
A Bigger Bang

Thanks to Fortylicksfanclub
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: keith's ballads Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
July 20th, 2005 02:39 PM
jb
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

It ain't over yet. Viva Las vegas!

Amen------------------------------------------->
July 20th, 2005 02:40 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

That is the greatest footage ever, of anyone. It was shown on TV too! He was already dead by then and they put a hagiographic voice-over where the truly embarrassing part was, and then said "But even at the end his magnificent voice never failed him" and brought the sound back up for the last chorus, which is, as you say, beautiful.

The whole concert is just horrible! The scenes of toothless old ladies fighting for the sweat-soaked towels which he flings into the audience are also amazing. And when he tries to bend over and pick something up but his girdle won't allow him to bend that far.

"Don't let the lights and cameras throw ya. And don't throw the lights and cameras!"

The King of Rock & Roll!!!

Watching that stuff puts the latter-day Stones in perspective. They COULD have ended up like Elvis.

You are so right. The Stones are two decades on the King when he passed and look far better than he. Elvis made the mold for the modern day rock-star entertainer cultural icon. When he hit 40 he looked like total shit and passed a couple years after - a bloated and pathetic parody of his former self. That set the unspoken bar for the rock business, that is until the Stones broke 40 and continued to move right on with being rock gods. They didn't get fat, they continued to set attendance records, and Mick in particular maintains his deserved status as best front man in the biz on any given night.

They have mellowed, aged, sold out, as some might say, but they sure as shit didn't pull an Elvis. Now the industry is full of entertainers rocking on well into their 50's and 60's and it finally, after years of the Stones getting slagged in the baby-boomer media who themselves resented the Stones not getting fat and flabby like they did, being noted as something to be respected - few things demand my respect more than being a survivor, and The Stones, perhaps more than any other contemporaries, are survivors.

Now, I can't wait for the next Elvis tour. Hey E, it's been long enough - it'll be the greatest comeback ever! I'll buy front row!
July 20th, 2005 02:42 PM
jb The King still sold out every venue till the very end....unlike the Stones whose sales this tour are abysmal.
July 20th, 2005 02:59 PM
PeerQueer The last Elvis tours were short 3-4 week stints in small venues often in obscure locations, due in great part to Elvis' terribly bloated appearance and inability to perform anywhere close to acceptable levels.

The Stones dear boy, are not hiding from anyone, charging top dollar, and for the most part, selling tickets quite well.

I get your schtick in here, and sometimes amusing ( I loved the gaining weight in the genital area comment)it is also both predictable and lacking in originality. It might have been original about 10000 posts ago, but c'mon fella, maybe time to change positions? I hope you fuck better than you post!)

Pick it up! And I'm serious about your weight problem, don't take it lightly. I had a good friend die a couple years ago - he was just 43, but about 50 pounds overweight and the docs said that, more than anything, contributed to his demise. (Well, the cocaine habit and his fondness for men half his age likely didn't help the strain on his overworked ticker either.)
July 20th, 2005 03:00 PM
gimmekeef What was Elvis's largest crowd?....Maybe a few arenas??..Never any stadiums that I can recall and certainly never SARS or Altamont crowds......The Stones have sold out Vegas venuse too....so dont think they take a back seat to him jb....
July 20th, 2005 03:02 PM
jb
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
The last Elvis tours were short 3-4 week stints in small venues often in obscure locations, due in great part to Elvis' terribly bloated appearance and inability to perform anywhere close to acceptable levels.

The Stones dear boy, are not hiding from anyone, charging top dollar, and for the most part, selling tickets quite well.

I get your schtick in here, and sometimes amusing ( I loved the gaining weight in the genital area comment)it is also both predictable and lacking in originality. It might have been original about 10000 posts ago, but c'mon fella, maybe time to change positions? I hope you fuck better than you post!)

Pick it up! And I'm serious about your weight problem, don't take it lightly. I had a good friend die a couple years ago - he was just 43, but about 50 pounds overweight and the docs said that, more than anything, contributed to his demise. (Well, the cocaine habit and his fondness for men half his age likely didn't help the strain on his overworked ticker either.)

You shall not be greeted....
July 20th, 2005 03:09 PM
PeerQueer Ah c'mon baby!

Greet me! I'll buy - maybe some good Greek food.

You like good Greek food now dontcha?

Yeah, I know you do...
July 20th, 2005 03:10 PM
jb
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
Ah c'mon baby!

Greet me! I'll buy - maybe some good Greek food.

You like good Greek food now dontcha?

Yeah, I know you do...

Gyros
July 20th, 2005 03:14 PM
PeerQueer Fuck yeah - now you're talkin'!

Ever put a whole one in your mouth?
July 20th, 2005 03:16 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
Gyros

very good in chicago, our greek population is very strong here.

I am taking notice of who is not to be greeted, soon i will formulate and make public my list of names of individuals who will be on the outside looking in while i shake hands and work the room.
July 20th, 2005 03:18 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I am taking notice of who is not to be greeted, soon i will formulate and make public my list of names of individuals who will be on the outside looking in while i shake hands and work the room.

I hate the following posters:
1)Mac Daddy(despise him the most)
2)Max Lugar
3)Fiji
4)StarBuck
5)Pdog
July 20th, 2005 03:21 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
2)Max Lugar
3)Fiji
4)StarBuck
5)Pdog

this all will be taken into consideration. I will send you, certified mail, my list once i have derived it. You will be shocked at some of the names. Please govern yourself accordingly.
July 20th, 2005 03:26 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Come out West big guy, and there might be a good chance I already own the room. We might be able to work out a unique payment plan though ------@
July 20th, 2005 03:27 PM
voodoopug
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

Come out West big guy, and there might be a good chance I already own the room. We might be able to work out a unique payment plan though ------@

The shows out west do not occur until my wife reaches the third trimest of pregnancy and cannot fly. I must remain at her side to assist with the household duties. OUr young son will require my attention. Please refer to the ADDA technique for further suggestion.
July 20th, 2005 05:33 PM
PeerQueer I assure you - I never met your wife.

The child is not mine!
July 21st, 2005 02:44 AM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:
2)Max Lugar
3)Fiji
4)StarBuck
5)Pdog

Your wife said I should be number one.
July 21st, 2005 10:12 AM
jb
quote:
pdog wrote:

Your wife said I should be number one.

You are hated, but not with the intensity of the others......
July 21st, 2005 10:58 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
jb wrote:
2)Max Lugar
3)Fiji
4)StarBuck
5)Pdog

WHAT ABOUT ME ?
July 21st, 2005 10:59 AM
jb
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

WHAT ABOUT ME ?

You own a Pug...................................
July 21st, 2005 11:08 AM
PeerQueer I laid a girl nicknamed PUG once - does that count?
July 21st, 2005 11:28 AM
jb
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
I laid a girl nicknamed PUG once - does that count?

Pugs are notoriously poor swimmers.
July 21st, 2005 11:32 AM
FPM C10 I am starting a campaign of forcibly returning threads to their original subject. A hopeless task with little chance of success...

I LOVE Keith's ballads, particularly live. Especially in these latter days when the Stones keep veering closer and closer to Vegas Revue territory, Keith's ballads are often the REALEST moments of the show.

"All About You" and "Slipping Away" both make me a little verklempt when I hear them live. "You Got The Silver" was awesomely ragged and beautiful in '99 - actually one of the highlights of ALL the Stones shows I've ever seen.

I've never seen "The Nearness of You" live but I absolutely love the recordings I've heard. Keith Sings Hoagy! That kind of stuff is an acquired taste, very much like Dylan doing "You Belong To Me" on the Natural Born Killers soundtrack. Genuine, deep emotion conveyed through the beautiful ruins of a broken voice.

By comparison, Keith's more uptempo stuff - like "Wanna Hold You" - does very little for me. "Happy" and "BTMMR" both usually sound like they've been played too often - rushed, with too many "Baybeees" thrown in.

And I know I'm in a minority but I never want to hear "Little T&A" again! Aw haw haw!

So bring on the ballads, Keef!

Hey, you know what, though - I think "You Don't Have To Mean It" was one of the best live Keith songs EVER.
July 21st, 2005 11:50 AM
voodoopug
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I am starting a campaign of forcibly returning threads to their original subject. A hopeless task with little chance of success...

I LOVE Keith's ballads, particularly live. Especially in these latter days when the Stones keep veering closer and closer to Vegas Revue territory, Keith's ballads are often the REALEST moments of the show.

"All About You" and "Slipping Away" both make me a little verklempt when I hear them live. "You Got The Silver" was awesomely ragged and beautiful in '99 - actually one of the highlights of ALL the Stones shows I've ever seen.

I've never seen "The Nearness of You" live but I absolutely love the recordings I've heard. Keith Sings Hoagy! That kind of stuff is an acquired taste, very much like Dylan doing "You Belong To Me" on the Natural Born Killers soundtrack. Genuine, deep emotion conveyed through the beautiful ruins of a broken voice.

By comparison, Keith's more uptempo stuff - like "Wanna Hold You" - does very little for me. "Happy" and "BTMMR" both usually sound like they've been played too often - rushed, with too many "Baybeees" thrown in.

And I know I'm in a minority but I never want to hear "Little T&A" again! Aw haw haw!

So bring on the ballads, Keef!

Hey, you know what, though - I think "You Don't Have To Mean It" was one of the best live Keith songs EVER.

Please use the ADDA technique to obtain maximum success.

July 21st, 2005 03:41 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:
You are hated, but not with the intensity of the others......

That's the nicest thing you could say to me, and it sucks. I will do everything I can to be number one. I do not know how BUT!!! it will be my lifes work until the tour starts.
I will get those 4 other posters out of my way even if it means losing their friendship. There's no compassion or love when it comes to this.
I will call this "Desperate Stones Lives, The Jb Hated". Maybe we can sell it to NBC!
July 21st, 2005 09:09 PM
PeerQueer Hey - I assure you, JB is not a bad guy. He needs to use less teeth, but all in all, not too bad.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)