ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang
A Bigger Bang

Thanks to Fortylicksfanclub
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: keith's ballads Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
July 13th, 2005 10:58 AM
kmc For all the "fans" of keith's ballads, here's a scary thought. Rob Thomas said in an early June Rolling Stone Mag interview that his bride walked down the aisle to "Nearness of You" - sung by none other!
July 13th, 2005 11:02 AM
jb
quote:
kmc wrote:
For all the "fans" of keith's ballads, here's a scary thought. Rob Thomas said in an early June Rolling Stone Mag interview that his bride walked down the aisle to "Nearness of You" - sung by none other!

Pathetic.. we are about to get another Ballad!!! or 2!!!
July 13th, 2005 11:05 AM
Mr Jimmy Bring on the rockers! I'll settle for a reggae-ish tune but please NO ballads!
July 13th, 2005 12:52 PM
texile i love keith's tortured vocals..... ala all about you......
July 13th, 2005 12:56 PM
JaggerLips
I love "Thief in the Night"

Best song from Keith in the last 15 years has got to be Thru and Thru, just love everything about that song and CHARLIE!!!!!
Really hits you in the chest if you play it loud and that initial 2 beats of the drum.
FREAKING LOVE THAT SONG!
July 13th, 2005 06:44 PM
texile i remember in fort worth, he introduced all about you and we fucking combusted in joy and rapture......everyone around us just sat there like the half-ass music fans they were - most went for a beer...
that always breaks my fucking heart - keith is so heartfelt with his love songs and they WALK AWAY.
i'm looking for slipping away this time - his best song after happy.
July 13th, 2005 07:56 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Mr Jimmy wrote:
Bring on the rockers! I'll settle for a reggae-ish tune but please NO ballads!

Too late, we will get at least other Keith ballad on the new record.
July 13th, 2005 08:41 PM
kath i just watched the club show of 4 flicks, and "nearness of you" just touches my heart. he is so "from the depths of my soul" when he sings that one.

sigh.....
July 13th, 2005 09:37 PM
voodoopug
quote:
JaggerLips wrote:

I love "Thief in the Night"

Best song from Keith in the last 15 years has got to be Thru and Thru, just love everything about that song and CHARLIE!!!!!
Really hits you in the chest if you play it loud and that initial 2 beats of the drum.
FREAKING LOVE THAT SONG!

one of the best songs performed during licks and one of my all time favorite keef tunes...good call jaggerlips
July 13th, 2005 10:20 PM
corgi37 It's time for the bloke to rock out a bit.

Though. Thru & thru was awesome in Melbourne in Feb 2003. To my eternal hatred, its looks like there wont be a Feb 2005.

Stupid boring old farts.
July 14th, 2005 12:12 AM
voodoopug
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
It's time for the bloke to rock out a bit.

Though. Thru & thru was awesome in Melbourne in Feb 2003. To my eternal hatred, its looks like there wont be a Feb 2005.

Stupid boring old farts.

corgi remains the king!
July 14th, 2005 12:51 PM
PeerQueer Keith's ballads have been the best Stones material in the last 15 years. Slipping Away, Thru and Thru, Thief in the Night, etc. --- very solid songs that hold up very well. You will see those numbers being replayed over and over by films, television series, for years to come. They have character - just like Keith.

I understand the desire for the boys to rock, but they ain't boys and haven't been for a very loooong time. Keith's tunes are graceful and mature works of art. (Well, some of them anyway -- he's laid a few eggs as well)

I dig 'em. Watching Keith sing Slipping Away live was so profound because, unlike so many recent live versions of the Warhorse tunes, where Jagger is doing clever parodies of those tunes in his performances, Keith is delivering a sincere tune with a sincere message. It is slipping away, for Keith, for The Stones, for all of us. That song tips the hat to that fact and he conveys it with such genuine feeling that other performers simply cannot muster, particularly his own contemporaries. It actually reminds me of footage I have of Elvis singing Unchained Melody six weeks before his death. He put a whole new twist on those simple lyrics with that performance, reached way down deep, and the visual is stunning - a true mirror to impending mortality, art at its best.

That's what Keith's ballads do for me. And to anyone who doesn't get it...fuck off.
July 14th, 2005 01:01 PM
glencar I predict "Losing My Touch" will be done every show this tour.
July 14th, 2005 01:05 PM
texile
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
Keith's ballads have been the best Stones material in the last 15 years. Slipping Away, Thru and Thru, Thief in the Night, etc. --- very solid songs that hold up very well. You will see those numbers being replayed over and over by films, television series, for years to come. They have character - just like Keith.

I understand the desire for the boys to rock, but they ain't boys and haven't been for a very loooong time. Keith's tunes are graceful and mature works of art. (Well, some of them anyway -- he's laid a few eggs as well)

I dig 'em. Watching Keith sing Slipping Away live was so profound because, unlike so many recent live versions of
the Warhorse tunes, where Jagger is doing clever parodies of those tunes in his performances, Keith is delivering a sincere tune with a sincere message. It is slipping away, for Keith, for The Stones, for all of us. That song tips the hat to that fact and he conveys it with such genuine feeling that other performers simply cannot muster, particularly his own contemporaries. It actually reminds me of footage I have of Elvis singing Unchained Melody six weeks before his death. He put a whole new twist on those simple lyrics with that performance, reached way down deep, and the visual is stunning - a true mirror to impending mortality, art at its best.

That's what Keith's ballads do for me. And to anyone who doesn't get it...fuck off.

that was beautiful pq - keith never loses that purity, whereas jagger can fake it - and he's lousy at it.
July 14th, 2005 03:17 PM
Bruno Stone
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

Watching Keith sing Slipping Away live was so profound because, unlike so many recent live versions of the Warhorse tunes, where Jagger is doing clever parodies of those tunes in his performances, Keith is delivering a sincere tune with a sincere message. It is slipping away, for Keith, for The Stones, for all of us. That song tips the hat to that fact and he conveys it with such genuine feeling that other performers simply cannot muster, particularly his own contemporaries. It actually reminds me of footage I have of Elvis singing Unchained Melody six weeks before his death. He put a whole new twist on those simple lyrics with that performance, reached way down deep, and the visual is stunning - a true mirror to impending mortality, art at its best.

Is the Elvis footage one in which he's playing UM in the piano and there's a guy holding the mic for him? If is, I saw it too. Realy beautiful. He was very fat and pale, near the end, but he realy "rises" in it.
July 14th, 2005 03:48 PM
Moonisup NOY was great live,
his best ballad of the last years was how can I stop
July 14th, 2005 03:53 PM
gimmekeef For me the most amazing keith ballad was done with Willie Nelson..."We Had It All"..I have an mp3 and play it constantly...truly touching...but I would love another Before They Make Me Run on the new album!
July 14th, 2005 04:17 PM
glencar Isn't that on the last Willie & Friends CD?
July 14th, 2005 09:11 PM
PeerQueer Yes - that is the Elvis footage I speak of. You're right, you can see it in his eyes, the guy is flat out tired of living, and yet, he nails that number, kicks the ass out of that tune, and the smile he gives to the guy holding the mike is so gentle, boyish, sincere, and humble, for just a too brief moment, Elvis is alive again, while at the same time, knowing full well the moment is already passed him by and there likely won't be another.

Jagger runs from that moment, is trying to put it off for as long as possible, and doing a hell of a job at it I might add. The guy is a physical freak of nature.

Keith accepts that impending moment, is in fact living it right now, sharing that knowledge with us in the very ballads some complain of. Instead of denying nature, Keith shrugs, lights up a smoke, and invites it in for a drink and mellow conversation.

Both the Glimmer Twins understand that the one thing they each agree upon is that the performance is what keeps the clock ticking - far longer than it would otherwise, and somehow the rest of us who love their music share in some kind of communal fight against that fucking reaper that comes for each us sooner or later. And no-one, no-one, has done it as well, for as long, as The Rolling Stones, and every time they roll out another tour, another shout against mortality, we too feel more alive than we would otherwise. And at the end, we hope against better reason, that the boys won't make this time our last time to share in that experience.

And that's why we love them, right?
July 14th, 2005 09:55 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
NOY was great live,
his best ballad of the last years was how can I stop

Well, he did 4 songs in 8 years and 3 were ballads.
The best in the last 10 years or so is The Worst, IMO.
July 14th, 2005 10:22 PM
T&A i'm a sucker for Keith's ballads - they sure beat the shit out of his lame rockers on recent albums (Can't Be Seen comes to mind). Funny how opinions differ - Thru & Thru I consider one of the worst Stones songs ever. Can't listen to it.
July 14th, 2005 10:35 PM
Soldatti
quote:
T&A wrote:
i'm a sucker for Keith's ballads - they sure beat the shit out of his lame rockers on recent albums (Can't Be Seen comes to mind).

LOL, recent albums and we are talking about 1989!
All is relative with the Stones.
July 14th, 2005 10:48 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl If it's going to be a ballad like "The Worst" please give us 5!!
July 14th, 2005 11:31 PM
Soldatti The Worst is the best because it's short and not a boring 6 minutes jam of three chords.
July 14th, 2005 11:37 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl and has a deep deep feeling I love it, I really do
July 15th, 2005 01:17 AM
texile you reminded me peer queer - of that segment of elvis on tour, when the tired king was warming up with some old southern gospel songs...transcendent.
in spite of it all - the king never traded in his soul for fame - he was pure until the end, bloated - but pure.
July 15th, 2005 08:48 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
glencar wrote:
Isn't that on the last Willie & Friends CD?

Yes, Glencar it is..I downloaded it from ITunes...Play it a lot....Just beautiful..I live in Georgia and the opening lines about the Georgia pines just sets the mood.When I croak they can play that at my wake..LOUD!
July 15th, 2005 12:29 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
Keith sing Slipping Away live was so profound because, unlike so many recent live versions of the Warhorse tunes, where Jagger is doing clever parodies of those tunes in his performances, Keith is delivering a sincere tune with a sincere message. It is slipping away, for Keith, for The Stones, for all of us. That song tips the hat to that fact and he conveys it with such genuine feeling that other performers simply cannot muster, particularly his own contemporaries. It actually reminds me of footage I have of Elvis singing Unchained Melody six weeks before his death. He put a whole new twist on those simple lyrics with that performance, reached way down deep, and the visual is stunning - a true mirror to impending mortality, art at its best.

thats one of the most articulate and well written observations I think I may of ever read here

well done
July 15th, 2005 12:44 PM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

thats one of the most articulate and well written observations I think I may of ever read here

well done

I think the song is lame....like Keith's playing.
July 15th, 2005 12:58 PM
gimmekeef Or your posts.....
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)