ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why is "I Go Wild" in G#? Return to archive Page: 1 2
17th July 2007 04:04 PM
Mel Belli Was someone's guitar accidentally tuned sharp on that day? Or what?...
17th July 2007 04:06 PM
Saint Sway Mick's
17th July 2007 06:11 PM
the good because it sucks
17th July 2007 09:40 PM
ExileInLA
quote:
the good wrote:
because it sucks

this song doesn't suck. it's actually one of the stronger tracks on the record.

and nothing is by accident. it probably has something to do with the way that mick sings it. sometimes it doesn't hurt to bump a song up a half step.
17th July 2007 09:48 PM
mojoman keith was under the influence
17th July 2007 10:10 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
ExileInLA wrote:

and nothing is by accident. it probably has something to do with the way that mick sings it. sometimes it doesn't hurt to bump a song up a half step.

That's what I thought ... But then you listen to the very similar "Under the Radar," and he has no problem singing in that register. Who knows...
18th July 2007 01:25 AM
gotdablouse Was it maybe recorded in G and then sped up for the record ? Can't remember if there are outtakes of that one on the VB/VS box sets.
18th July 2007 08:45 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Was it maybe recorded in G and then sped up for the record ? Can't remember if there are outtakes of that one on the VB/VS box sets.

That's a possibility - because the pitch isn't exactly G# either. It's somewhere in between.
18th July 2007 08:46 AM
lotsajizz I suspect I'm in the minority, but I liked that song....still do.
18th July 2007 09:10 AM
Nasty Habits I also suspect the song is sped up on the record.

This is one of those songs that I feel like was so cynically conceived by the Mickster as a "stadium anthem" that I just can't buy it, although it is pretty well constructed.

"We've got a new one for you all to sing wit'" he declares at the club show opener . . . Songs CONCEIVED as singalongs rarely really are.

What really gives it the thumbs down is that a) I never heard a good stadium version of it and b) I hate the massed echoey background voices during Charlie's drum breakdown at the end. Another brilliant Was production!

It is somewhat touching how badly Mick wanted this song to succeed, including it on the internet lists for the B2B fan-vote at every show. I always felt bad for him that nobody ever wanted them to play it again.

Didn't this have a pretty cool video, though?

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
18th July 2007 09:16 AM
lotsajizz yeah, nice analysis -- it was meant to be played live, the bridge/breakdown was a natural, I even like the extra echo there -- but it NEVER worked live, I never heard a live version rise above mediocrity
18th July 2007 09:17 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I suspect I'm in the minority, but I liked that song....still do.

i agree too
18th July 2007 09:27 AM
Maxlugar I love I Go Wild. It's one of the more crankable songs off VL.

I also remember it coming off pretty darn good at the shows I've seen.

Here's a great example. Dual Telecaster sound. Three guitar attack, very Skynyrd-esq when they all walk up to the edge of the stage. Ronnie and Keith are great.

(Wouldn't allow an embed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPh0Cj4a53U
18th July 2007 09:29 AM
LadyJane Put me in the "I love the song" category.

Twice in a week I'm agreeing with Jizzy. Wow!!!

LJ.
18th July 2007 09:35 AM
lotsajizz nice post maxy....that version started out stronger than any live version i previously heard of 'I Go Wild'....but the breakdown was kinda flat...i think Mick decides not to shred his voice live anymore...it makes songs like this and 'Sway' and 'Monkey Man' rather weak live, those songs NEED screaming and Mick would not have much of a voice left for the rest of the show if he did those songs the justice they deserve
18th July 2007 10:04 AM
Nasty Habits Nice version, that was enjoyable - too bad Mick couldn't be bothered to get into his big screed about alcoholic cunts. I guess what really always drove me crazy about it live was that the breakdown is such a missed opportunity. The best part of that song is where Charlie is drumming his heart out and then he and Keith play off each other before the band kicks back in. It always disappointed me they didn't do that live.

18th July 2007 10:41 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
...i think Mick decides not to shred his voice live anymore...it makes songs like this and 'Sway' and 'Monkey Man' rather weak live, those songs NEED screaming and Mick would not have much of a voice left for the rest of the show if he did those songs the justice they deserve

EXACTLY. I've too have bitched about this in the past. But that's the reality of Mick in his later years. Gotta save it all up for the rest of the world tour(s).
18th July 2007 10:42 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Nice version, that was enjoyable - too bad Mick couldn't be bothered to get into his big screed about alcoholic cunts. I guess what really always drove me crazy about it live was that the breakdown is such a missed opportunity. The best part of that song is where Charlie is drumming his heart out and then he and Keith play off each other before the band kicks back in. It always disappointed me they didn't do that live.

It looked like he ran out of time to say "alcoholic".

But it was a good effort all the way around I feel.
18th July 2007 10:50 AM
Saint Sway nice clip!

that song was great live.

thing I cant fathom is that when a new song works really well live and becomes a crowd favorite like - I Go Wild, OOC, Saint - why do they then immediately drop it after the tour and never play it again??

You'd think Mick would want to work some of these newer songs into the rotation and flush some of the older stuff out.
18th July 2007 10:52 AM
gimmekeef Mel..my sources tell me it was because Rosie sat on one of the guitars and damaged it severely......
18th July 2007 11:27 AM
Saint Sway I heard YGMR blasted over the PA system at the ballpark last week. I'm surprised IGW didnt get more play at big sporting events.... it seems like one of those natural arena rock tunes perfect for big moments in the game.
18th July 2007 11:29 AM
voodoopug Out of Control was brought back for the beginning portion of the 2005 leg of the ABB tour. I thought the performance was very good, but overall the crowds did not respond well to this song, which is a shame. OOC does nothing for me on the record, but as a live performance, I think it is as good as they have written/performed in many years.
18th July 2007 12:02 PM
Throwaway I Go Wild takes me back to the time when VL came out, in a good way.

I Go Wild, I suppose, is the one I play (guitar) on most. I mean, I just created it on guitar with Charlie, as a groove. And we more or less had the whole song down before we took it to anyone else. - Mick Jagger (from timeisonourside)

Crowd in DC pretty much loved it when they played it opening night in '94..must have given Mick a hard on realizing a new song got recognized my more than 1% of the audience!
18th July 2007 02:05 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
Out of Control was brought back for the beginning portion of the 2005 leg of the ABB tour. I thought the performance was very good, but overall the crowds did not respond well to this song, which is a shame. OOC does nothing for me on the record, but as a live performance, I think it is as good as they have written/performed in many years.

Agreed. I enjoyed it a lot in Tampa. It was in a good spot too, near the end with the warhorses.
18th July 2007 02:12 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
i think Mick decides not to shred his voice live anymore...it makes songs like this and 'Sway' and 'Monkey Man' rather weak live, those songs NEED screaming and Mick would not have much of a voice left for the rest of the show if he did those songs the justice they deserve

I think he'd have trouble really screaming and moving around the way he does at the same. Intense singing can take up more energy and air than jumping around. He chooses to concentrate on his presence rather than his voice imo.
18th July 2007 07:21 PM
Navin
Apart from the 2 promo videos that are great, the Nippon Voodoo (Japan 95) video captures the 'real live' spirit of the song in great style and that show is also overall well shot. The boys come to the edge of the stage strumming their guitars in classic line-up stance...what I found quite amusing was that once during the bridge of big beats, Keith, singing his part of the backup vocals goes, "I Go Wild.....Honey..!!"
18th July 2007 07:59 PM
gotdablouse wow that youtube video was boring ! A good thing they don't play it live anymore.
18th July 2007 10:04 PM
the good
quote:
ExileInLA wrote:

this song doesn't suck. it's actually one of the stronger tracks on the record.

Not a very good record in my view. Has a few good tracks, but not nearly as musically interesting as Bridges.
18th July 2007 10:40 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
the good wrote:

Not a very good record in my view. Has a few good tracks, but not nearly as musically interesting as Bridges.

I prefer Bridges, too, but I still find VL to be as musically interesting, in its way, as the former. Moon Is Up and Thru and Thru and New Faces were great little experimental detours that hold up better, I think, than, say, Might As Well Get Juiced. If you lop off a couple VL tracks (Jugular springs to mind) to equal Bridges' 13, you've got a stand-up album.

Although, I have to say it's the VL "rockers" that sound weakish to me today -- YGMR, Sparks Will Fly and, yes, I Go Wild (Love is Strong is exceptionally good). There's nothing wrong with them per se; it's just that, as recordings, they sound sterile and wussy (Was-y?) -- unlike Too Tight.

'Tis the nature of latter-day Stones records: We can always glimpse the promised land, but never quite enter.
18th July 2007 10:55 PM
Poplar
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
the pitch isn't exactly G# either. It's somewhere in between.

exactly
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)