ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Bravo Magazine - Germany 1982 with thanks to TT aka TooTough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Photos from Keith at Gram Parsons Tribute 10.7.04 Return to archive Page: 1 2
11th July 2004 03:11 PM
Gazza these Reuters pics seem to be from the 10th July show at the Universal Ampitheatre

Musician Keith Richards looks on during a press conference prior to performing a concert in memory of musician Gram Parsons, who died of a drug and alcohol overdose in 1973, and to raise money for Musicians Assistance Program, in Los Angeles late July 10, 2004. The Musicians Assistance Program is designed to help musicians who have addiction problems with drugs and alcohol.

REUTERS/John Hayes

[Edited by Gazza]
11th July 2004 03:32 PM
MrPleasant Why the two hats?
11th July 2004 03:39 PM
Gazza why not?
11th July 2004 03:43 PM
MrPleasant I thought it was another regular thing, like the skull ring and so... But yeah, why not.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
11th July 2004 03:45 PM
mac_daddy

keef looks like he has been hempin' it up!

classic.
______

dan - did you get in last night?
11th July 2004 03:58 PM
gypsy God, I love that man. With Keith, anything works as far as fashion...the hair thingies...the extra hat, etc...
There's this crazy man here in town that wears about ten hats...he's lived here for years...just known as "the hat man."
11th July 2004 04:11 PM
MarthaMyDear Yea, and all that hemp use shows!!! Nice of him to do that (if he did, which it LOOKS like he did), for a show that is supposed to honor his FRIEND WHO DIED OF A DRUG AND ALCOHOL OVERDOSE *** AND *** is supposed to benefit recovering musicians as WELL (?!?!?!)!!! NOT!!! You know... I sure do love the Stones' music but I REALLY see Ronnie as more of a class act these days... The old alcohoholic/drug addict look just does NOT get the juices flowing for me anymore... If you know what I mean!!! I know it ain't going to happen but Keith could REALLY start learning some things from Mick's health regime and Ronnie's work at cleaning up himself (trying to quit smoking, included)... I really have to hand it to them... It sure does look nice on both of them and after seeing some people around recently who still party it up with drugs and/or a lot of alcohol compared to people who DON'T, the difference is day and night... The ring's cool, though... lol........ HE!!! HE!!! HE!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
11th July 2004 04:26 PM
MarthaMyDear Yes... And, there's a reason why that man is crazy!!! lol............ I just think Keith is looking very bad these days... I don't know why it took him so fucking long to start wearing cool shit (like fish hooks in the hair, etc.)!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not talking about the skull ring, which has always been righteous... HE!!! HE!!! HE!!! Just bought one, myself... lol............ :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P Maybe he thinks it offsets the, uh, elder statesman, alcohol-swathed, drug-addled, aftermath-look?!?!?! lol...... I just do not know...

I'LL TAKE TWO DOUBLE MICKS WITH A RONNIE ON THE SIDE TO GO, RONNIE!!!

*** Martha ***
11th July 2004 04:45 PM
BILL PERKS [quote]MarthaMyDear wrote:
Yea, and all that hemp use shows!!! Nice of him to do that (if he did, which it LOOKS like he did), for a show that is supposed to honor his FRIEND WHO DIED OF A DRUG AND ALCOHOL OVERDOSE *** AND *** is supposed to benefit recovering musicians as WELL (?!?!?!)!!! NOT!!! You know... I sure do love the Stones' music but I REALLY see Ronnie as more of a class act these days... The old alcohoholic/drug addict look just does NOT get the juices flowing for me anymore... If you know what I mean!!! I know it ain't going to happen but Keith could REALLY start learning some things from Mick's health regime and Ronnie's work at cleaning up himself (trying to quit smoking, included)... I really have to hand it to them... It sure does look nice on both of them and after seeing some people around recently who still party it up with drugs and/or a lot of alcohol compared to people who DON'T, the difference is day and night... The ring's cool, though... lol........ HE!!! HE!!! HE!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE QUITTER. LOL!!!!HEE!!HEE!!!HE!!!WTF
11th July 2004 05:03 PM
MarthaMyDear WTF is right (?!?!?!)!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TA!!! TA!!!

*** Martha ***
11th July 2004 05:36 PM
rogerriffin which songs, they made?
11th July 2004 05:47 PM
Bloozehound lol@the two hats

He does look a tad chiba faced in that one photo, maybe he was so stoned out of his goard he didn't realize he already had one on when he put his other hat on.
11th July 2004 06:12 PM
gypsy Yep, hat man...we also used to have "gloveman" and "gadgetman" among others. There used to be a place right off of OU's campus that housed a bunch of crazies...but they could roam free during the day...they were all harmless...somehow, gloveman was killed while roaming the streets...I was out of town at the time...so I never got the whole story. Probably hit by a car driven by some frat boys.
11th July 2004 06:15 PM
shakedhandswithkeith thanks Gazza
11th July 2004 06:21 PM
kahoosier Get em Martha!!!

I said it on another site in another post, anyone that thinks that drug and alcohol addiction is cool has either never dealt with an addiction or is still in the middle of one.

Keith says he never really had a problem with drugs, but with the police. He should ask the owners of all the hotel rooms he burnt down or trashed: or his fellow band mates who waited hours, at times days for him. I have a freind who spent 18 momths in jail for his 4th DUI, is now in court ordered rehab including antibuse ( whiche he cheats on) has friction with his second wife, and still says he does not have a drug and alcohol problem . His thoughts are that the police are hounding him. Does that sound like the words of a much more famous musician?

I love the man and his music. I want him to live and produce as long as possible. Production has not been much the last decade at least, and chronic tobacco and alcohol use are not conducive to long life.
11th July 2004 06:29 PM
gypsy As much as I love Keith, I do get pissed about his nonchalant attitude towards drug abuse.
He would have been in prison years ago if not for his money. I wonder if he knows that and appreciates it.
11th July 2004 10:36 PM
BILL PERKS HE'S FUCKIN 60 YEARS OLD NOW -WHAT WOULD BE THE POINT?ONE CANT UNDO 45 YEARS OF SMOKING AND HE'D PROBABLY DEVELOP HEALTH ISSUES IF HE CLEANED UP.I AGREE HE'S WASTED A LOT OF TIME AND PRODUCTIVITY BUT AT THIS POINT HE'S NOT LIKELY TO CHANGE WITHOUT DIRE HEALTH WARNINGS.NOT EVERYONE DEVELOPS LIVER AND LUNG PROBLEMS.HIS DAD LIVED A HELL OF A LONG TIME LIVING JUST LIKE HIM,WITHOUT THE DRUGS.
11th July 2004 10:48 PM
stonedinaustralia actually BILL i think keith's old man was a hearty drinker and smoker and he made it to 80 - which isn't a bad innings by anyone's measure
12th July 2004 02:58 AM
FotiniD Thanks for the pics Gazza! They're lovely and a great way to start my Monday

I'm always awe-struck by the way you guys can tell whether one's chiba-faced or not by a picture! I guess it's a matter of experience, lol

Seriously now, maybe it was just the way the photo was shot, the lights, the moment the photographer did the click. On the other hand, he might indeed be doing stuff before the gig, which wouldn't surprise me at all - do you expect someone who's done the whole deal and thinks of cocaine as "a bad habit, not an addiction" to consider joints a "drug"? Either way, I don't recall many events or photo shoots in which he looks 100% straight I mean, it's Keith... Even if he's in top-notch form, sober and just out of bed, he'll pull the drunken, step-missing act anytime!

Anyone know if the show was taped and whether it'll come out in DVD or something like that? Gram Parsons was a very good musician and I wonder why it took them so many years before they decided to hold a tribute.
12th July 2004 04:20 AM
Moonisup
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
Why the two hats?

he forgot he was already wearing one
12th July 2004 05:09 AM
MarthaMyDear HI!!! lol................
LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol..........
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I see Moonisuppie!!!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
12th July 2004 05:21 AM
Moonisup his eyes are VERY red, I think he had a joint, well hmm. you could also ask yourself, when isn't keith stoned
12th July 2004 06:19 AM
Mathijs With drugs Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, Some Girls. Without drugs Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge. I just love the way Keith looks now, with the two hats (wich are very fashionable nowadays).

By the way Martha, what does PPPPPPPPPPPPPP::___))(_:::{PPPP-:-))- mean?

Mathijs
12th July 2004 08:42 AM
mac_daddy very nice article in the la times about the show. great shot of keef and norah jones on the cover, too...

i will try to post all that stuff later 2day (i have to fly to work now)...
14th July 2004 07:43 PM
mac_daddy here is the article that appeared in monday's la times:

SANTA BARBARA � Whenever posthumous awards are given at all-star gatherings, someone invariably mentions how surprised the artist would have been that people still felt so strongly about their music after all these years.

But it's hard to picture anyone saying that about the late Gram Parsons. Even when playing around town to half-empty houses in the late '60s, this visionary singer-songwriter was convinced he was making music for the ages.

And, sure enough, more than three decades after his drug-related death at age 26, Parsons' radical mix of country music innocence and rock 'n' roll rebellion still radiates with honesty and heart.

Despite the personal demons that destroyed him, there was an angelic quality about Parsons' voice that was as seductive as his smile as he sang about dreams � glorious dreams, lost dreams, shattered dreams � with such wistful yearning and lonesome anxiety that he seemed at times like F. Scott Fitzgerald with a guitar.

At a warm, enchanting concert Friday at the Santa Barbara Bowl to salute Parsons' legacy (and repeated the next night at Universal Amphitheatre), nothing reflected the range of his music so much as tender performances by artists whose images place them at opposite ends of the pop spectrum: Norah Jones and Keith Richards.

Jones, whose taste and restraint have made her one of pop's most welcome arrivals, sang three ballads, ending with "She," a haunting 1971 tune that is about both Parsons' Southern heritage and the cleansing power of music.

As Jones sang with the eloquence and grace that Parsons and co-writer Chris Ethridge put into the song, James Burton, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame guitarist who played on many Parsons recordings, added touches that were equally sensitive and alluring.

In fact, the evening's band, which also included Parsons studio sidekick Al Perkins on steel guitar, played throughout with dedication and style that sometimes spoke to the heart of Parsons' musical spirit better than the singers they were backing.

Jones was a hard act to follow, especially for someone like the Rolling Stone co-founder, who may be one of the most beloved guitarists in rock but whose scratchy voice has severe limitations.

Yet Richards, playing acoustic guitar, earned a standing ovation as he teamed with Jones vocally to convey the ache of "Love Hurts," a Boudleaux Bryant tune that Parsons recorded.

Parsons and Richards were great friends back in the days when Parsons was virtually unknown and Richards was already a rock legend.

Richards was enamored of the country music that Parsons played for him � and that influence contributed to the country side of the Stones, including such numbers as "Wild Horses."

Because he probably knew Parsons better than anyone else on the bill, Richards seemed to feel an obligation to say a few words about his late friend.

But the guitarist fidgeted nervously, before finally turning to a joke.

"If the good die young, where does that leave me?" he asked, laughing.

Finally, Richards realized the best way to express his affection was to simply sing another song.

"This is the first song Gram played for me," he said, before launching into "Hickory Wind," which speaks so beautifully about a restless soul longing for the comfort of childhood roots.

The moment was all the more evocative because a giant photo of a young Parsons and Richards was shown on a screen behind him as he sang the Parsons-Bob Buchanan song.

It's a hard way to find out

That trouble is real

In a far away city, with a far away feel

But it makes me feel better

Each time it begins

Callin' me home, hickory wind.

There wasn't much to say after that, and the remaining numbers � including an ensemble version of "Wild Horses" � felt a bit anticlimactic.

Earlier, however, several moments were as soulful and sweet as Parsons' own recordings.

Several of the musicians even wore the rhinestone cowboy suits that Parsons used to add to the culture shock of his shows.

In the '60s and early '70s, the suits symbolized everything young rock fans found corny about country music. To unnerve the conservative country fans, Parsons had the outlines of marijuana plants woven into the suit's designs.

In the opening half of the program, alt-country veteran Jay Farrar captured the radical side of Parsons with a wonderfully rowdy rendition of "Drug Store Truck Drivin' Man," a zesty story of cultural stereotypes that Parsons wrote with Roger McGuinn during his brief stay with the Byrds before forming the Flying Burrito Brothers with Chris Hillman.

The Mavericks' Raul Malo, who is blessed with one of the most dramatic voices in pop, nailed the barroom melancholy of "Close Up the Honky Tonks."

In the second half, SteveEarle and Lucinda Williams delivered stirring sets.

Earle showcased the biting, anti-draft commentary of "My Uncle," while Williams turned to two heartache ballads as dark and affecting as the ones she writes.

Not everything, however, worked.

The low point was Dwight Yoakam's attempt to transform one of Parsons' signature tunes, "Sin City," into even more of an apocalyptic statement.

Written with Hillman, the song summarizes the struggle between innocence and temptation that ran through Parsons' music, a number that seems in many ways a forerunner of the Eagles' "Hotel California."

In turning the poignant number into a demolition derby,Yoakam shattered the soulf-ul nuances of the song, makingit at times almost unrecognizable.

The cast, which also included John Doe, Jim Lauderdale, Kathleen Edwards and Jim James, seemed even more energized Saturday, but the high and low points remained the same.

The event, whose organizers included Parsons' daughter, Polly, was designed to both celebrate his memory and raise funds for the Musicians' Assistance Program.

Over the two nights, various performers mentioned how much they had been influenced musically by Parsons, but Earle pointed out backstage how Parsons' attempt to meld country and rock cultures was inspiring on an even wider level.

"He made me feel not so weird, that it was OK to have long hair and wear cowboy boots, to listen to country music and rock 'n' roll," he said.

"I mean those weren't just separate types of music, but the people who liked them were in separate camps back then. Gram saw the humanity in both and brought us a lot closer together."
14th July 2004 07:45 PM
mac_daddy 2 pics...

[Edited by mac_daddy]
14th July 2004 08:17 PM
SheRat That reviewer is an idiot. Dwight Yoakam's version of Sin City rocked.

BTW: Unless Norah wore the same thing both night, those pics ARE from Saturday.

I guess I should do what FPM does and post my review in both places?

"Saturday afternoon, CF and I woke, got in the rental car and headed down to LA--but only after stopping for burrtios.

Arriving very late (the concert started at 8:15, we got there at 9:30), we were irritated with slow traffic into the parking lot and even more irritated with how fucking far the Ampitheatre was from said lot.

I have lived in LA (albeit, for a very short time) and I went to college an hour away, but I had never been to "Universal City." What a weird fucking thing that was. It's like, Magic Mountain, randomly in the middle of LA. Except just restuarants and small stages where people are pretending to be Fleetwood Mac. It was very odd and I was not in any mood to have people in my way. We rammed through the crowd.

After being sent to like, three different windows, we finally got our tickets from willcall and in order to prevent further stress and irritation, rode a rickshaw up to the doors of the Ampitheatre. The girl taking our tickets informed us that it was intermission, for which I was relieved, but a little disappointed, not knowing who we'd missed.

Turns out, we missed John Doe and Jay Farrar, but missing the first half was also a blessing, as I was to learn later that had I been there for the performing of Juanita and Hot Burrito #1 would have left me in a puddle of tears on the floor under my seat.

Fang and I found our seats and as we were leaving to get beers, I heard my name yelled from behind. I turned around and who do I see, but Payphone Al walking up the stairs towards us. Payphone Al told us that the seats in front of him were empty and since our seats were all the way over to the side of the stage and his were in the middle, we checked it out.

Fang made the call that we should stay and so we did.

The overall feel of the place was hipster, but friendly. I have found this to be the case in LA. IN SF, this crowd would have been snotty and sizing each other up with competitive looks, but people here seemed laid back. Like, we all knew we were here for a good reason, and that made us all at the same party.

The whole place smelled vaguely of pot. In front of us, two dudes were SMO-KING. Like, the guy would take a hit off his joint and when he exhaled, the amount of smoke was so great that he needed to move his own head out of the way. Apparently, Al and Queen of the Undeground thought this was me and Fang (ha! I would have passed out!), but no, it was the dudes in front of us. Nobody seemed to mind, and I thought it was cool that security wasn't hassling anyone over it.

The first person to come out was Steve Earle, whom I was very eager to see, since I have only seen a couple of pictures of him since he went on the Atkins diet and lost all his weight. All I can say is Waaa waaaa waaaa!!! If you've seen early Steve Earle pics, you know the svelte Steve was HOT. So now, it is possible once again to not only admire Steve, but to covet him. Yay! The first song he played was Luxury Liner, which, since my band does this song, I was psyched to hear the arrangement. I'm psyched for recordings of this to come out so I can get my band to listen to this arrangement and rip it off. Fekkin AWEsome. Steve also played My Uncle and while he was introducting it, people in the crowd started yelling "BUSH SUCKS!" So that was cool. Steve was Steve and Steve was good.

Next Lucinda Williams came on to quite a reception (No Depression magazine was being handed out in the foyer, so it was that type of crowd ;-). I wish I could say more about Lucinda, but I can't except that I cried. She started with Sleepless Nights and that's when I started crying, and I cried all the way through A Song for You. Lucinda does a really good job of being mournful. Plus those songs...I was kind of disappointed that she didn't do "Return of the Grievous Angel"--I like the way she did it on the tribute album, but I was perfectly fine with what she did do. Come to think of it, Steve didn't do the song he did on the tribute album either.

Which is a weird thing. Emmylou was nowhere to be found for this tribute, and of the people who appeared on Emmylou's tribute album, only Steve and Lucinda were there. Fang I postulated that there may be acrimony between Gram's daughter Polly and Emmylou on Gretchen Parsons' behalf. I can't imagine what else it would be, since Emmylou has been completely tightlipped about what happened between her and Gram lo these many years.

In ANY case, after Lucinda was, I think, my favorite act of the night, barring Keith. Which was fucking Dwight Fucking Yoakam. I love this guy anyways, but MAN did he fucking ROCK. His band is so tight and so good. And he did the most amazing version of Sin City. He rocked it up and changed the phrasing around and totally owned it and it was so good I never wanted it to end. As well as I know that song, trying to sing along with him was like learning it for the first time. Honestly, I don't even remember Wheels because everything is overshadowed by that fucking version of Sin City.

Next was Norah Jones, and I went to get beer. Beer, BTW, was $12 for 24oz of Corona. Oy.

When I got back, Norah was singing "She" which, if you fuck up that song, you gotta be really bad (but I bet Blue Lew could do it! ;-) and she didn't fuck it up.

Then it was time for Keith. Which was totally insane. He came out and they put a picture of Keith and Gram sitting at Nellcote playing guitar on the backdrop, and thanks to gypsy for having this on her site--it was this pic, cut to just show Keith and Gram:

http://groups.msn.com/AnitaPallenberg/anitaampkeith.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3922

He came out, and shit, I can't even remember what he said, except that he did say, about Gram: "We rode each other into the ground, and that's all I'm going to say about that." hee hee. He also genuflected to the house band--I think they were called the "Sin City Players"?

I begrudgingly admit that Keith and Nora sounded HOT on Love Hurts. Hoever, KEITH had a guitar around him, on which he would randomly and inexplicably do his little upward stroke thing, to little or no effect, music-wise. I guess maybe he just feels weird being onstage without it on, even if he is not going to play it very much.

I remember Fang telling me that if they were going to play Wild Horses that that meant that Micawber would be there, but this was not the case. The acoustic was provided for him, I believe.

In any case, not like Keith ever had that much of a range anyways, but when he sings in his range, he sounds FINE. And I'm not the kind of fan who licks ass. For instance, the first verse of Wild Horses sounded EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY like Cardinal Fang impersonating Bob Dylan. I know how exact it is, because Fang's impersonation of Dylan can be irritating. It was unfuckingcanny.

But this was because Keith was singing too low--once he moved up about half an octave to sing on the chorus, his tone was fine. Why he didn't start off in that range or why they couldn't have changed the key for him is beyond me.

In any case, that was the only instance of bad Keith singing, as his version of Hickory Wind was really really beautiful.

After Wild Horses, they had the House of Blues Choir with some chick names Sylvia James and they did "In My hour of Darkness" which was cool and everyone danced and sang, anf then everyone got back together to do "Oooh Las Vegas."

Polly said some dumb shit throughout the night, like, for instance, when she was introducing Sylvia, she was like, "My dad looooved gospel. He looooved gospel. He loved the sound of it." and other basic completely meaningless phrases that led me to believe that she had decided that her Dad loved gospel based on someone somewhere a long time ago telling her that he did. She also let loose with some thinly veiled Christian stuff, which could possibly explain the hug and dance fest between her and a suddenly appearing Exene Cervenka during the "Oooh Las Vegas" love fest. Not that there's anything wrong with this, but I remember thinking--ohhh, maybe THAT'S why her and Exene are so buddy-buddy.

All in all, it was really really really good and I'm glad I went, despite the fact that I missed the first half, and despite the fact that it took 12 hours of driving for about an hour and a half's worth of music.

The rest of the story, what is fit for public consumption, in any case, has been better chronicled by others."

Fang ran out when Keith got onstage and was down in the pit taking pics, so I'm assuming you'll be getting those eventually, Gazza.

15th July 2004 05:19 AM
Gazza Great stuff. Thanks. Keith, Lucinda and Steve Earle on the same bill. Wow. I'd have driven 12 hours to have seen that -even though I don't drive!!

keep the stories comin'
15th July 2004 08:23 AM
mac_daddy i am glad you guys had a nice time. i am still hoping to find someone who ran tape one of those nights (not having much luck though)...

quote:
SheRat wrote:
That reviewer is an idiot. Dwight Yoakam's version of Sin City rocked.

drop him a line, and tell him how you feel...

Robert Hilburn can be reached at [email protected]

fwiw - he is the lead rock critic of la times, has been for years, and is probably the finest rock critic in the country. that doesnt mean dwight didnt rip up sin city the other night, however. like i said, i hope to find a tape so i am able to judge for myself...

15th July 2004 01:42 PM
SheRat >>fwiw - he is the lead rock critic of la times, has been for years, and is probably the finest rock critic in the country<<

Snort. It was just my opinion anyways, and I was speaking colloquially, but knowing who you quoted now turns my idiot comment from a lighthearted joke to a knowing roll of the eyes.

As for recordings, I know this is prolly not what you were looking for, but they were videotaping, but CF talked to some people afterwards who said that they don't have the money for distribution.

Too bad we didn't see your reply before we left, we prolly could have gotten you in...
Page: 1 2