ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Bravo Magazine - Germany 1982 with thanks to TT aka TooTough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Yes! New Stones Album in August! Return to archive Page: 1 2
11th July 2004 02:54 PM
Monkey Woman I second that motion!!!
11th July 2004 08:14 PM
corgi37 My brother won Jump Back from a radio station when it came out. Same old compilation crap. Having a song like Hot Stuff is on so many "Greatest hits" albums is a joke on all of us! Actually, i remember Jump Back being quite successful here in Oz. It was around the same time as the release of the remastered & re-packaged 70's cds.

You know what the Stones need? And, i have said this for years. Those old goats need a manager! Some one to lock them in a room, and not let them out until they have at least a single to release.

But, they are too old for a manager now. The trouble is, they are so big and untouchable, they wont listen to anybody. Except (shudder) Chuck Leavall.
12th July 2004 10:08 AM
Joey
quote:
corgi37 wrote:

You know what the Stones need? And, i have said this for years. Those old goats need a manager! Some one to lock them in a room, and not let them out until they have at least a single to release.

But, they are too old for a manager now. The trouble is, they are so big and untouchable, they wont listen to anybody. Except (shudder) Chuck Leavall.

Two weeks until " Townshend & Company " Corgi ...........................are you getting excited ?!?!?!?!?!

J. Fly !
12th July 2004 10:26 AM
glencar Will the US version of Jump Back have that odd pair of boots on the cover? Another waste of time & money from the Stones.
12th July 2004 10:27 AM
glencar And yet, Sucking In The Seventies was followed closely by Tattoo You.
12th July 2004 10:33 AM
Snappy McJack How many hits collections do they have?

*High Tide...
*Through the Past...
*Hot Rocks
*More Hot Rocks (not really hits, but you get the drift -- so maybe it really doesn't count)
*Made In the Shade
*Sucking in the Seventies
*Rewind
*Jump Back (Import)
*Forty Licks
*Jump Back (US)

I think I am missing one? Is it "Rolled Gold"?
12th July 2004 10:36 AM
glencar That's about one every five years on average.
12th July 2004 10:54 AM
Snappy McJack Maybe this is a way of keeping the public's eye on the Stones for something that may be brewing, but why this? Why another hits collection that has already been released?

Why not something new? I would think that a live or rarities EP would be a great way to get the public's attention. Go through the vaults, find some good tunes, and put maybe 6 or 7 of them on the EP so that it would only cost around $6-7. But not this rehashed stuff, doing it "Who Style".
[Edited by jb]
[Edited by Snappy McJack]
12th July 2004 10:56 AM
glencar The hits collections must sell pretty well. Odds & Sods/rarities don't do as well.
12th July 2004 01:59 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
The hits collections must sell pretty well. Odds & Sods/rarities don't do as well.

12th July 2004 07:49 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
How many hits collections do they have?

*High Tide...
*Through the Past...
*Hot Rocks
*More Hot Rocks (not really hits, but you get the drift -- so maybe it really doesn't count)
*Made In the Shade
*Sucking in the Seventies
*Rewind
*Jump Back (Import)
*Forty Licks
*Jump Back (US)

I think I am missing one? Is it "Rolled Gold"?

and what about this:
- Stone Age
- Gimme Shelter
- Milestones
- Rock'n Rolling Stones
- Rolled Gold
- Get Stoned
- Story Of The Stones

All this albums were on the UK charts during the 70's and 80's and all crappy compilations...
12th July 2004 09:10 PM
Gazza Well..I'd disagree with some of them as being "crappy".

Hot rocks was a US only album - Milestones was what Decca put out as an alternative over here, although I think it was only a single LP. They came out around the same time.

Rolled Gold when it came out in '75 was THE comprehensive Stones 60's compilation. A double LP similar to hot rocks.

Get Stoned (1977) and Story of the Stones (1982 or 83) were TV advertised double LP compilations on Arcade and K-Tel respectively. Both pretty similar to Rolled Gold. "Get Stoned" was the first Stones album I ever got.

Decca had a habit - when the Stones formed their own record label - of releasing a repackaged album around the same time as the Stones put out a new studio album. So they put out "Stone Age" to coincide with "Sticky Fingers" and another one called "No Stone Unturned" around the same time as "Goats Head Soup"..."Metamorphosis" also came out around the same time as "made in the shade" but at least that was unreleased material. Then there was the issuing of songs from these repackages as singles, so you had stuff like "Sad day" as a single! Awful.

So, add "No Stone Unturned" to that list and the "London years" singles collection as well of course. And there was another called "Slow Rollers" in the early 80's

there was also another UK compilation - on Rolling Stones Records - in 1979 called "Time Waits For No One".

and dont forget that at the minute we're in the middle of a Decca repackaging of 60's singles released on boxed set CD's.

Glencar is right in a way. Repackages tend to sell more than "Odds and sods" type albums. But only if theyre packaged right and arent flooding the market. I cant imagine anyone but a completist buying "Jump Back". In fact, I have to admit, I didnt realise it hadnt been issued in the US until now.
[Edited by Gazza]
13th July 2004 11:22 AM
glencar I bought a German compilation years ago. It was quite good & had "Stoned" on it. It was 4 LPs.
Page: 1 2