ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Bravo Magazine - Germany 1982 with thanks to TT aka TooTough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Yes! New Stones Album in August! Return to archive Page: 1 2
9th July 2004 04:40 PM
Snappy McJack http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000574094

Post '60s Stones Hits 'Jump Back'

Virgin/EMI Catalog Marketing will on Aug. 24 offer the first North American release of the Rolling Stones collection "Jump Back." The set was released internationally in November 1993 by Virgin after the Stones signed with the label. It has been digitally remastered and enriched with track-by-track liner notes from Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

"Jump Back" is billed as the only Stones collection to feature all of the group's post-'60s hits in one place. All but two of the 18 tracks reached the Billboard Hot 100 (1971's "Bitch" and 1978's "Respectable" being the exceptions). The album hosts three of the Stones' eight Hot 100 chart-toppers: 1971's "Brown Sugar," 1973's "Angie" and 1978's "Miss You."

Other top-shelf hits featured are "Start Me Up" (No. 2, 1981), "Emotional Rescue" (No. 3, 1980), "Harlem Shuffle" (No. 5, 1986), "Mixed Emotions" (No. 5, 1989), "Tumbling Dice" (No. 7, 1972), "Beast of Burden" (No. 8, 1978), "Undercover of the Night" (No. 9, 1983) and "Fool To Cry" (No. 10, 1976).

The album is rounded out by "Waiting on a Friend" (No. 13, 1981), "It's Only Rock'n'Roll (But I Like It)" (No. 16, 1974), "Rock and a Hard Place" (No. 23, 1989), "Wild Horses" (No. 28, 1971) and "Hot Stuff" (No. 49, 1976).

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Time to celebrate . Yes!!!
9th July 2004 04:41 PM
Joey Thanks Snappy McJack

......sounds like they are pulling a " WHO "

Jacky !

9th July 2004 04:44 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Joey wrote:
Thanks Snappy McJack

......sounds like they are pulling a " WHO "

Jacky !

Thanks Joey.

Funny thing is, that's the first thing I thought when I read this.

Anybody gonna give in and fork over for a new copy of a disc you most likely already have? Unlike the SACD remasters, this is kind of a joke if you ask me!
[Edited by Snappy McJack]
9th July 2004 04:49 PM
Bloozehound Yeah, I won't be buying it when I could burn it for free on my computer in like 30 seconds, but what could really be going on here is the promotion wagon is beginning to grease it's wheels up for something coming up, new album or tour maybe, never hurts to revive the general publics attention with the hits they love
9th July 2004 04:57 PM
Snappy McJack A website called www.musictap.net referred to this release a few weeks back, and also mentioned a Stones live album that would be released the following week. Didn't say if it was new or not, but it's possible that it may be a remaster of "No Security" !! Kidding about "No Security", but it did mention a live album.

Here is the link. Scroll down and look below the bar that says "CD's":

http://www.musictap.net/Archives/Posts/Posts04/ArchivalPosts2004Jun2730.html#062804
9th July 2004 05:57 PM
Main Offender Enough previous stuff.....gimme a NEW album !!
9th July 2004 06:45 PM
Navin According to the 1993 Virgin contract, they have to deliver 3 studio albums - in the meantime, it can only be speculated what the son of VL and B2B will sound like.
9th July 2004 08:03 PM
gypsy God, IanBillen is going to be livid. I fear for the lives of our Stones.
9th July 2004 09:30 PM
Soldatti I'm so happy!!!
It's the first time that I have an album like 9 years before of the release date. It's in my hands right now!!!
If any wants I can put details about the songs, the sound, who plays...
9th July 2004 09:48 PM
gypsy May God have mercy on the poor soul who happens to be around IanBillen when he receives this news.
9th July 2004 10:48 PM
IanBillen
quote:
gypsy wrote:
God, IanBillen is going to be livid. I fear for the lives of our Stones.

I should be livid Gypsy. Any paying customer should be. It has been seven years. I tell you what, maybe they should get together another Live DVD while we they are at it.

Ian
9th July 2004 11:00 PM
Dan I have had this CD for about 8 years, my mom picked it up for me for like $4 while on a European vacation.
9th July 2004 11:05 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

I should be livid Gypsy. Any paying customer should be. It has been seven years. I tell you what, maybe they should get together another Live DVD while we they are at it.

Ian

IanBillen..ladies and Gentlemen!!!...Ian...Billen!!
9th July 2004 11:10 PM
Steel Wheels I detest greatest hit albums. I think this is a real waste of money, time and effort. "Er Keith, can you give me a line about Start Me Up?" "Er Mick, what do you thing is good about this number?"

Yawn. Double yawn.

Get the fuck in the studio, lock the door, write some songs, sing the songs, perform the songs, record the songs, release the songs on an album titled "The Greatest Hits by the World's Greatest Hit Makers" Go on tour and rock and fucking roll.
10th July 2004 12:11 AM
Poplar
this thread was a major disapointment.
10th July 2004 12:16 AM
gypsy Ian, don't pay for the "new" CD. It came out several years ago...
...you're quiet, yet angry...and this scares me.
10th July 2004 02:40 AM
IanBillen
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Ian, don't pay for the "new" CD. It came out several years ago...
...you're quiet, yet angry...and this scares me.

Yes, lol I have been quiet as of lately. I know, and everyone here basically knows (although I didn't want to cause a stir really) how I feel about the new album situation so I thought I would give everybody a break on it.
I will post something very positive soon (has nothing to do with album or tour)about The Stones when I hear some good word on the situation.
I already got Jump Back but must admit I will purchase The Greatest Hits Jump Back with their commentary to hear what they have to say . Although I do think this idea is stupid. How many times can I, or any of us hear from them how Start Me Up or Satisfaction came about.
I did laugh out loud at your posts though.
Cheers
10th July 2004 02:42 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

IanBillen..ladies and Gentlemen!!!...Ian...Billen!!

LOL, I know I know.

10th July 2004 03:43 AM
gypsy Thanks, Ian. I hope you know I'm playing with you...not being catty. I'm just as disappointed as you...hell, I was disappointed that the 4 songs on "Forty Licks" suck ass. Keith kind of sums it up on the last one--"Losing My Touch." I just hope they aren't--losing their touch. I would love more than anything to see them get in the studio and release something as great as Exile again. I hope they can re-capture some of that old magic.
10th July 2004 05:13 AM
IanBillen
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Thanks, Ian. I hope you know I'm playing with you...not being catty. I'm just as disappointed as you...hell, I was disappointed that the 4 songs on "Forty Licks" suck ass. Keith kind of sums it up on the last one--"Losing My Touch." I just hope they aren't--losing their touch. I would love more than anything to see them get in the studio and release something as great as Exile again. I hope they can re-capture some of that old magic.

Yes I always knew you were playing and even found it quite funny actually.
Yes the 4 new songs were not the best they can do. I do like Keys to Your Love= Good Song. Don't Stop=another pretty good tune. Stealin my Heart=kinda not cutting it. Losing My Touch=well I can't say it is totaly bad or anything. Just needs a little better flow and song writing to it.
They will put out this time. I shouldn't say this but I got a good feeling about this album.
Ian
10th July 2004 07:29 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
Virgin/EMI Catalog Marketing will on Aug. 24 offer the first North American release of the Rolling Stones collection "Jump Back." The set was released internationally in November 1993 by Virgin after the Stones signed with the label.

Yep, it's a re-release, just for Americans! I wonder if they should feel flattered or just angry! The CD has been available for years in digitally remastered form and with the Mick/Keith liner notes! I got it on my shelf at home. Not a bad collection, but it kind of doubles with Fourty Licks! Is Virgin trying to milk the market for all it's worth, waiting for the Stones to do that studio album? Let's hope it's just a advance movement for the publicity machine!
10th July 2004 12:32 PM
gypsy I bought it ("Jump Back") four years ago at the local bookstore which carries a lot of music as well.
I'm just as livid as Ian.
10th July 2004 03:09 PM
Dan
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Thanks, Ian. I hope you know I'm playing with you...not being catty. I'm just as disappointed as you...hell, I was disappointed that the 4 songs on "Forty Licks" suck ass. Keith kind of sums it up on the last one--"Losing My Touch." I just hope they aren't--losing their touch. I would love more than anything to see them get in the studio and release something as great as Exile again. I hope they can re-capture some of that old magic.

While looking forward to the next album, wonder what the hell they felt was bad enough to leave off? The next new one I will probably wait to buy used.
10th July 2004 03:46 PM
Bloozehound As gimmicky as it may seem the straight blues album would be a great return to form, a true welcome back to their roots in a "now the circle is complete" - kinda way, but I seriously doubt it will happen.

It would be a nice little side project for them to throw us, hell they could even do it under a different name if their scared it might flop and tarnish their already tarnished legacy.

I love the Stones as much as anyone else, but I mean Clapton, Van Morrison, Bowie, Dylan, Willie Nelson ect.. most all their contemporaries are still cranking out a new album or two every other year, I don't see why they're so incapable of throwing us a bone now and then instead of the usual repackaged greatest hits or live album...I think this fact alone is very telling about where they are in their career...

Almost going on 8 years without a studio album, that's almost a decade. Quit jerking us around, throw in the towel and loot the vaults I say!...I'm rambling I'll shut-up now...paging IanBillien
10th July 2004 10:50 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
As gimmicky as it may seem the straight blues album would be a great return to form, a true welcome back to their roots in a "now the circle is complete" - kinda way, but I seriously doubt it will happen.

It would be a nice little side project for them to throw us, hell they could even do it under a different name if their scared it might flop and tarnish their already tarnished legacy.

I love the Stones as much as anyone else, but I mean Clapton, Van Morrison, Bowie, Dylan, Willie Nelson ect.. most all their contemporaries are still cranking out a new album or two every other year, I don't see why they're so incapable of throwing us a bone now and then instead of the usual repackaged greatest hits or live album...I think this fact alone is very telling about where they are in their career...

Almost going on 8 years without a studio album, that's almost a decade. Quit jerking us around, throw in the towel and loot the vaults I say!...I'm rambling I'll shut-up now...paging IanBillien

This is the feeling that I have. If they think that BTB not was well recieved by the fans (when sold 4 million copies), why not release an outtakes CD? Come on, they have loads of songs on the vaults, why not 11-12 songs on a CD while we wait for the new album during all these years. If they want to keep the outtakes for a future box set, 11-12 songs it's not a big difference when you have more than 100 songs ready to release. I remember an interview with Ronnie and Mick on 2002 when they said that the new album will be released soon, next year or something. What the hell happened?
On two years we got a single remix of an older song, 3 box set of singles all of they released, a reissue of a CD edited 11 years ago, a possible live album of the previous tour, 4 DVD's from the previous tour and another with the Stones performing too.
This is not a shame, it's more than that...
11th July 2004 08:38 AM
Monkey Woman I agree that re-releasing the old "Jump Back" is pretty lame. Another easy money project. But remember that it doesn't mean there won't be a new studio album! Mick, Keith and Charlie did work on previously unreleased songs in the previous months (in London and at Mick's mansion in France). But everything point towards a late 2004 release for that one, so I guess Virgin wants to keep the Stones name under the public's eye until they announce that long-expected new album -- and very probably the 2005 tour!

So before saying the Stones are finished, just relax & wait for more news. We don't want to flush the baby with the bathwater!
11th July 2004 01:16 PM
Snappy McJack "I agree that re-releasing the old "Jump Back" is pretty lame."

This is more than lame -- it's just stupid. C'mon, Virgin! Get with it! You push a "definitve collection" less than two years ago, and to do this, "Jump Back" was taken off the shelves so that you could get more sales of your latest release! Now you are putting this back on the shelves -- with what, just new packaging and the inane "remastered" statement? Screw that, this isn't even worth it -- it's not even like the SACD remasters, which actually had something behind it. This thing already has linear notes from Mick and Keith, and to boot, some of the songs are butchered so that they could fit in.

-- most likely Virgin did, Mr. Smiley Man.

"Another easy money project."

Yeah right, I bet they spend more money than they make for this crap. There is NOTHING NEW on it. Nothing. The fact that it is remastered won't do shit (not even SACD or DSD, WTF?). What are they gonna do, pull "Forty Licks" off of the shelves this time?

"But remember that it doesn't mean there won't be a new studio album! Mick, Keith and Charlie did work on previously unreleased songs in the previous months (in London and at Mick's mansion in France)."

I can understand why people may doubt a new album may not be exactly a "done deal." Where is the proof that there will be a new album? No word from the horse's mouth, which is the only thing that will solidify the fact that there may be an album. As of now, there is no concrete evidence that a new album is imminent -- it's just all speculation, so in that case, doubt can be assigned to this matter.

And where did you get info about recording? Please report the info, if you can, Monkeywoman.

"But everything point towards a late 2004 release for that one, so I guess Virgin wants to keep the Stones name under the public's eye until they announce that long-expected new album -- and very probably the 2005 tour!"

What exactly points to it, MW? What is "everything"? Rumors? The only thing that points to anything is something in a press release, not some guy saying he's got contacts. It may be so, the fact that he has contacts -- but why not doubt it? It isn't exactly factual until it's reported, right?

"So before saying the Stones are finished, just relax & wait for more news. We don't want to flush the baby with the bathwater! "

I don't think the Stones are finished -- that is, as a touring band. Maybe as a recording band they are less inspired (well, not maybe, but most likely), so that's why they haven't found the need to make a new album in over 7 years. They've alread admitted it, so I guess that makes me kind of happy. It erases the doubt of whether or not they've decided to end the huge catalog of music they have. It also tells me that they are just happy living in the past (where were the VL, B2B, SW tracks?).

So, what's to make of it? If they release a new album, are they going to market it as some sort of comeback? They haven't left -- touring in most of '97, '98, '99, '02, and '03 is hardly a vacation status. And it also shows that touring is the main priority, which goes without saying.
11th July 2004 01:58 PM
Soldatti I know that will be a new album, but why we must wait 7+ years to get one?
Why not release some outtakes on all this years?
Why they put 1 greatest hits CD all the months?
11th July 2004 02:28 PM
Monkey Woman Uh-oh! Did I step on some tender toes? I'll just answer to you Snappy, because I feel that my post was misunderstood.

quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:

This is more than lame -- it's just stupid. C'mon, Virgin!

I see we are on the same wavelenght, here. Note that I never said it was a good idea! I'm just not as aggressive as some on this board! Forgive me if I don't shout...

quote:
"Another easy money project."

Not lovely, no, but still true.

quote:
Yeah right, I bet they spend more money than they make for this crap. There is NOTHING NEW on it. Nothing.

Yes, we know that. So what? We don't have to buy it if we don't want. I certainly won't buy that disc because I've already owned if for years!

quote:
"But remember that it doesn't mean there won't be a new studio album! Mick, Keith and Charlie did work on previously unreleased songs in the previous months (in London and at Mick's mansion in France)."

I can understand why people may doubt a new album may not be exactly a "done deal." Where is the proof that there will be a new album? No word from the horse's mouth, which is the only thing that will solidify the fact that there may be an album. As of now, there is no concrete evidence that a new album is imminent -- it's just all speculation, so in that case, doubt can be assigned to this matter.

And where did you get info about recording? Please report the info, if you can, Monkeywoman.

Remember also that there's NEVER any precise word from the horse's (or the Stones's) mouth BEFORE it's official. So we HAVE to rely on hints & rumours. We may choose to be optimistic or not about those, but that's up to each individual, according to his or her view of life.

I, personnally, have no more "sources" than most who post here. I just kept track of what leaked here and there since the beginning of this year (on Shidoobee, IORR.org, Keno's board, Bill German's site...), of where the Stones went, what they said, what people who DO have sources saw and heard. It's true, there's a lot of bullshit, but a number of rumours DO point the same way.

For instance, the info you urge me to report was posted and discussed at length here and elsewhere over the last two or three months!!! I'm not inventing it, just repeating it once more for those who missed it.

1) At the end of the Licks Tour in Hong Kong in November of last year, Michael Cohl said that there could be a new tour "in about 18 months". He told it, among others, to a friend of mine.

2) Charlie worked on some unreleased Stones songs (leftover from the '90s by the sound of them) in a London studio in April. Reported on Gasland.

3) At about the same time, a fan on RS.com message board talked with Darryl Jones at a concert who said that the Stones had told him to "keep his schedule open".

4) Mick and Keith spent some time at Mick's country mansion in France to work on some songs, during late May, early June. This was kept low profile (they didn't go to a studio in Paris, as previously hinted) but some French fans heard about it through people working for Mick -- and from the music shop in which he buys his gear!

5) All 4 Stones, plus Michael Cohl, had a business meeting in Amsterdam in early June. Speaking to a Dutch fan, Ronnie said they were doing some recording.

6) And of course, there's the guy on Shidoobee is currently giving info about what's going on at the business end of things, but said that he didn't know what was going on at the musical end.

quote:
"But everything point towards a late 2004 release for that one, so I guess Virgin wants to keep the Stones name under the public's eye until they announce that long-expected new album -- and very probably the 2005 tour!"

What exactly points to it, MW? What is "everything"? Rumors? The only thing that points to anything is something in a press release, not some guy saying he's got contacts. It may be so, the fact that he has contacts -- but why not doubt it? It isn't exactly factual until it's reported, right?

See above for what I was talking about.
If you don't want to pay attention to the rumours, fine, that's your choice. But then you should ALSO upbraid the naysayers who jump to the conclusion that a new "greatest-hits" release means no new album... We can speculate until the cows come home, but we can only speculate about hearsay and hints. And once again, each one can see a glass half-full or half-empty.
11th July 2004 02:47 PM
Snappy McJack Thanks for the info. Seriously, I had no idea about some of those things.

Oh yeah: Fuck Virgin! Fuck 'em! Fuckety fuck the fucking fuckers that thing releasing "Jump Back" is a good idea -- YES!!!!!!!!!
Page: 1 2