ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Bravo Magazine - Germany 1982 with thanks to TT aka TooTough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: rough ass back up vocs on Emotional Rescue Return to archive Page: 1 2
7th July 2004 11:55 PM
rocker Been listening to Emotional Rescue lately and it rocks. Its not as strong as Some Girls, but in my opinion its better than Tattoo You. Now side two of Tattoo You is really special, but as far as the rockers go the rockers on Emotional Rescue kick Tattoo's in the teeth. There is no rocker on Tattoo You that can touch "Let Me Go" and "She's So Cold," though "Little T@A" comes close. "Summer Romance" and "Where the Boys Go" sound raunchy, and i like it.

I really like the drum sound on this record, and the rough ass background vocals on most of the songs, especially the rockers. I like Keith's flanger on most songs too.

The break down on "Let Me Go" is heaven. cant beleive theyve never really played this song except for the 81-82 tour. they need to ressurect it. I think the tune was inspiried by the Sound of Eddie Cochran.

I'd like to see the background singers dropped on the upcoming tour, so Keith and Ronnie can croon and growl the way they do on "Where the Boys Go"
7th July 2004 11:56 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I love the album rocker it's great and highly underrated
8th July 2004 12:59 AM
Bloozehound I've probably listened to ER more times than the total of times I've listened to all the Stone's albums that came after it put together. One of the last of the GREAT Stone's albums. Good stuff, I love it, send it to me...
8th July 2004 07:51 AM
Gazza Where The Boys Go has always been one of my favourite Stones songs ever. I'm amazed that a lot of people seem to dislike it. Its a terrific rocker, with all the right ingredients and all of the band on top form.

I dont care much for the rest of the album, I have to say. They cut a hell of a lot of songs for it and I think it could have been a lot better. It took forever to be released(it was about 6-7 months behind schedule) and I remember being really excited about it coming out and then a feeling of anti climax when I DID get my hands on it...(I hope Ian's reading this ! )

I think theres a few "good" songs on it - Let Me Go, All About You, Shes So Cold - but apart from WTBG, none that really stick. The two songs they played live in 81-82 - Let Me Go and Shes so Cold - were butchered into a noisy thrash in concert. Two or three of the songs on it I simply cant stand listening to. Send It To Me and especially Indian Girl are cheesy and the title track is the worst single the band ever released. I remember before it came out someone telling me the new Stones single sounded like the Bee Gees and me telling them to "fuck off". Then I heard it and thought "the Stones must be takin' the piss"
[Edited by Gazza]
8th July 2004 08:35 AM
justinkurian 'Down In The Hole' is a great blues song...one of my favorite Stones blues tunes.
8th July 2004 08:37 AM
Jumacfly [quote]Gazza wrote:
Where The Boys Go has always been one of my favourite Stones songs ever. I'm amazed that a lot of people seem to dislike it. Its a terrific rocker, with all the right ingredients and all of the band on top form.

Agree 100% Gazza..great one!
8th July 2004 10:50 PM
Glimmer I totally disagree. I think ER is an excellent album. The worst thing the Stones could have done for this album was release the title track as a single. That single alone trashed the whole thing. I love the reggae sound of Send It To Me. I also think Indian Girl fits in nicely. You're absolutely right that ER is the worst song on the album. It would have been fine as a filler but not as a single. I don't think it's their worst song ever...Sex Drive ranks up there. The rockers were fantastic...Summer Romance, Let Me Go, Where The Boys Go and She's So Cold. She's So Cold should have been the first single and I honestly believe if it had, people would have given the album a lot more credit.
[Edited by Glimmer]
8th July 2004 11:03 PM
glencar Sparks Will Fly is the worst Stones tune ever. Please remember this. I'm not wild about the chorus on Where The Boys Go but I like the faux Cockney thing Mick does. Summer Romance gets better every summer. Let Me Go is nearly as good. ER is a perfect pop song but the Stones aren't much of a pop band, are they?

Down In The Hole is sublime. I loved Send It To Me at first but it didn't wear too well & anyway, the sped up version on Tattoo You is superior. All About You is kinda groovy. Indian Girl is one that I have to be in the mood for but that mood rarely hits. A B+ overall. But sadly, it's one of their better recent (LOL!) efforts.
8th July 2004 11:33 PM
BILL PERKS BABY BREAK IT DOWN IS THE WORST STONES SONG EVER
8th July 2004 11:40 PM
gypsy I love "Let Me Go." I think it should have been a hit.
9th July 2004 12:05 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
glencar wrote:
I loved Send It To Me at first but it didn't wear too well & anyway, the sped up version on Tattoo You is superior.

say what?? glencar

or are there extra tracks on the CD that weren't on the vinyl??
9th July 2004 08:33 AM
Factory Girl The worst Stones song is Angie. YCAGWYW starts out nice, but just drags and drags, esp. live.
9th July 2004 08:54 AM
T&A Definitely a personal fave of mine - the whole album. Not a track I don't thoroughly enjoy. WTBG is in my top 10 Stones songs. And, yeah, they've rarely done the blooze better than DITH..... Title track? What's not to like? Some of Jagger's best tongue-in-cheek singing ever...Chawlie and Bill lay down an awesome groove - cool Bobby lines....
9th July 2004 11:07 AM
glencar SIA - "Neighbours" is sped up "Send It To Me." Lisa Robinson asked Mick about this in an interview & he was mighty offended but it's true.
9th July 2004 03:39 PM
gypsy I refuse to put down anyones likes or dislikes. I like this though...i'ts kind of like a little "getting to know you." I only wish joey and jb would participate...it would also get their numbers up there...I'm guessing each will hit 20,000 by Christmas/Hannakah.
9th July 2004 03:41 PM
Joey
Emotional Rescue is a fantastic disc that is " light years " ahead of the dreaded " Dirty Work " .

Plus , it brings back memories of me early high school years ( circa 1980 ) .

quote:
gypsy wrote:
I only wish joey and jb would participate...it would also get their numbers up there...I'm guessing each will hit 20,000 by Christmas/Hannakah.

For Gyps. :

[Edited by Joey]
9th July 2004 08:37 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
glencar wrote:
SIA - "Neighbours" is sped up "Send It To Me." Lisa Robinson asked Mick about this in an interview & he was mighty offended but it's true.

that's funny - when i was trying to figure out what you were talking about that's what came to mind - that is the similarities between those two tracks - but i thought i'd be sure

cheers
9th July 2004 09:25 PM
Egbert ER gets an awful lot of press here on this site. One thing it has going for it is great sound.
12th July 2004 11:30 AM
tumbling dice i think that cover of ER the worst of their career,in the last summer here in Brazil i was in a beach bar drinking a beer and suddenly i heard the first verse of Dance in the PA and whole album was played. I look at the people and everybody was shaking heads and dancing in songs like Summer romance,send it to me and She so cold and the magic moment went when the last light of sunset turns dark and All about you brings a new summer night. for me it was great and shuts up all the boring critics of the record.
12th July 2004 11:39 AM
glencar Maybe that's why ER gets a lot of press here. Many of us came upon it when we first Stones afns & it still holds sweet memories for us.
12th July 2004 06:08 PM
rocker I was in the 5th grade when it came out and i remember reading the bad reviews of it. But i always liked it. I remember listening to it on my brothers stereo (turntable) while laying in the bed studying the album cover. i was fascinated by jaggers picture with a beard. As time moves on people realize that this was indeed a fine effort by the boys, it just had the unfortunate luck of having to follow Some Girls. I think critics saw it too much in light of Some Girls, therefore they dissed it. Some girls would make most discs sound inferior in quality. ER is a rough stripped down album, and yes I even like Indian Girl
12th July 2004 07:21 PM
Phog ER is a solid fucking record. The little drum start to "Where The Boys Go" has always been a favorite Charlie Watts Moment for me.

Play it loud.
12th July 2004 08:23 PM
gotdablouse ER is sure a badass album that takes stuff (Ian close your eyes) like VL to the cleaners any day of the week, and like Gazza says they left a ton of great stuff in the can, Claudine, Gangster's Moll, Break Away to name a few!
12th July 2004 08:24 PM
mac_daddy another vote in the + column. i have always dug this album.

quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
ER is sure a badass album that takes stuff (Ian close your eyes) like VL to the cleaners any day of the week, and like Gazza says they left a ton of great stuff in the can, Claudine, Gangster's Moll, Break Away to name a few!

i thought claudine was left off of some girls...

quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
The worst Stones song is Angie. YCAGWYW starts out nice, but just drags and drags, esp. live.

i am with you on angie, but ycagwyw??? not any good live..?

the treatment that song got in the 70s on stage place it at the top of the stones' canon for alltime.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
13th July 2004 12:30 AM
Egbert
quote:
glencar wrote:
Maybe that's why ER gets a lot of press here. Many of us came upon it when we first Stones afns & it still holds sweet memories for us.

Yep - that's the case for me as well. Send It To Me and She's So Cold got a heck of a lot of airplay (in St. Louis, anyway). Later on that year I picked up Hot Rocks and my days as a Zephead were over.
13th July 2004 11:10 AM
glencar I was never a Zephead. I went straight from pop pablum to the Rolling Stones. I made a little foray into punk/new wave but that never meant I disregarded the Stones.
13th July 2004 11:18 AM
jb
jb
quote:
jb wrote:

jb
quote:
jb wrote:

13th July 2004 11:19 AM
glencar This weak!