ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Bravo Magazine - Germany 1982 with thanks to TT aka TooTough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones 50 years Return to archive Page: 1 2
2nd July 2004 08:27 AM
F505 "Already in 1954 blues guitarist Luther Allison formed a band with his brother Ollie calling themselves The Rolling Stones. But sensing that the name was less than on-the-money they changed it to the Four Jivers."

Luther (one of my favorite bluesplayers btw) recorded YCAGWYW a few months before he died in 1997. It was the final session of his career.

[Edited by F505]
2nd July 2004 10:09 AM
jb Thanks Fotini D and Fabio Hot Stuff...very interesting that another band woulsd chose the same name.
2nd July 2004 10:12 AM
Joey Thanks Fotini D and Fabio Hot Stuff...very interesting that another band woulsd chose the same name.
2nd July 2004 10:13 AM
F505
quote:
jb wrote:
Thanks Fotini D and Fabio Hot Stuff...very interesting that another band woulsd chose the same name.

Have you been drinking again?
2nd July 2004 10:14 AM
jb Sorry F505...I was confused in the threads....
2nd July 2004 10:15 AM
Joey Sorry F505...I was confused in the threads....
2nd July 2004 10:16 AM
F505 still 225 to go
2nd July 2004 10:18 AM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:
still 225 to go

2nd July 2004 10:19 AM
Snappy McJack Sorry F505...I was confused in the threads....
2nd July 2004 10:25 AM
jb
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
Sorry F505...I was confused in the threads....

2nd July 2004 10:27 AM
F505 It's OK

2nd July 2004 12:23 PM
Scottfree Thanks East Bunny......Bok,Bok
2nd July 2004 12:26 PM
jb They hate us for our freedom..thats why the spin stops here, because we are looking out for you....
2nd July 2004 02:31 PM
PolkSalad Luther was cool. You dig Bernard?
2nd July 2004 02:37 PM
Joey
quote:
PolkSalad wrote:
Luther was cool. You dig Bernard?

I kinda like frying up
My sad cuisine ;
Gettin' in bed and curling up with a girlie magazine .
But sometimes in the corner of my eye
I see that adorable ghost ;
And then ba-boom I remember the things I miss the most

JB
S.S.
Somebody to trust
The Baby Steelie
( cue guitar lick courtesy of Walt Becker )
The good Stones Company
The Rock and Roll Boots
These are the things I miss the most ................

( cue outro courtesy of Don's Keyboards )

JJJJJJJJJJJERKY JOE !

2nd July 2004 04:11 PM
F505
quote:
PolkSalad wrote:
Luther was cool. You dig Bernard?

Bernard is merely a clone of Stevie Ray unfortunately (at least the last time I heard him). I like his dad more....
2nd July 2004 04:20 PM
F505 WARNING: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN HI-JACKED
2nd July 2004 04:55 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
F505 wrote:
Bernard is merely a clone of Stevie Ray unfortunately (at least the last time I heard him). I like his dad more....

Not unlike other sons (Ronnie and Wayne Baker Brooks or Jimme D Lane, although, he's more Hendrix).

Bernard has that Luther magic the others do not possess.
2nd July 2004 04:59 PM
WildBillGrover jb and Joey came to this thread to stink it up with their mindless bullshit? I was listening to Luther Allison at the Zoo Bar in Lincoln, Nebr. in 1977 (back when jb and Joey were in diapers).
2nd July 2004 05:07 PM
F505 Luther was pure magic to me. I am not so sure about his son but I don't know him that well. Luther had a very personal style and always played with an unequalled devotion. He was the very first person I saw perform and it made a big impression on me (as a 12 year old kid)...
2nd July 2004 05:12 PM
F505
quote:
WildBillGrover wrote:
jb and Joey came to this thread to stink it up with their mindless bullshit? I was listening to Luther Allison at the Zoo Bar in Lincoln, Nebr. in 1977 (back when jb and Joey were in diapers).

Wild Bill, I think Luther was in his best days end of the seventies. I saw him in (I think) 78 in Vredenburg. He turned 40 and gave a great birthday party. The house was sureley shakin' to its foundations.
2nd July 2004 05:17 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
WildBillGrover wrote:
jb and Joey came to this thread to stink it up with their mindless bullshit? I was listening to Luther Allison at the Zoo Bar in Lincoln, Nebr. in 1977 (back when jb and Joey were in diapers).

While I was out of diapers by '77, I was not going to get into a bar back then. I only saw Luther twice? and unfortunately never experienced "Luther Magic." I did experience it through Bernard however.

Thanks for bringing it back to the music.

2nd July 2004 05:30 PM
F505
quote:
PolkSalad wrote:

While I was out of diapers by '77, I was not going to get into a bar back then. I only saw Luther twice? and unfortunately never experienced "Luther Magic." I did experience it through Bernard however.

Thanks for bringing it back to the music.

For experience his magic you should listen to Live In Paris or Where Have You Been (Montreux 1976-1994) two outstanding live albums.
2nd July 2004 05:39 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
F505 wrote:
For experience his magic you should listen to Live In Paris or Where Have You Been (Montreux 1976-1994) two outstanding live albums.

Not arguing. I was not lucky enough to see it live the too few times I did see Luther. Agreed Bernard doesn't have the all around talent Luther did but he's got something. More so than Lonnie Brooks' sons. I may have those cds. Will give another listen.
[Edited by PolkSalad]
2nd July 2004 06:03 PM
Joey

"... it has the ultimate country sentiment... 'we want no changes made.'"
~ Robbie Fulks

(the Rolling Stones) "have showed me that country music is just the blues..."
~ Graham Parker

WTF ?!?!?!?!

Ten Thousand Posts ?!?!?!?!

Polk Salad ....................this is COMPLETELY unacceptable and ruins my weekend -- Hope Your HAPPY !!!!!

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Shecky !
2nd July 2004 06:18 PM
Moonisup

joey and josh???
2nd July 2004 06:19 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
Joey wrote:

"... it has the ultimate country sentiment... 'we want no changes made.'"
~ Robbie Fulks

(the Rolling Stones) "have showed me that country music is just the blues..."
~ Graham Parker

WTF ?!?!?!?!

Ten Thousand Posts ?!?!?!?!

Polk Salad ....................this is COMPLETELY unacceptable and ruins my weekend -- Hope Your HAPPY !!!!!

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Shecky !

c-ya 69 is out, thanks for the motivation...

7th July 2004 04:27 PM
WildBillGrover
quote:
F505 wrote:

Wild Bill, I think Luther was in his best days end of the seventies. I saw him in (I think) 78 in Vredenburg. He turned 40 and gave a great birthday party. The house was sureley shakin' to its foundations.

Luther was great back in the '70s, (I used to think he was the second coming of Jimi) but I think he was on top of the fuckin world when he made his big return splash from Europe at the Chicago Blues Festival (I think 1995) and played with Otis Rush at the Petrillo Stage. I had goose bumps the whole time and will remember it to the day I die.

I will also remember fondly talking to Luther in the late '70s or early '80s at Lohmeier's Drumstick in Lincoln, Nebraska about his Les Paul and the super-duper fiberglass case that was supposed to be indestructible. He told me his guitar and case had been dropped down a flight of stairs. The case was OK. The guitar's neck broke off. I can't remember what else we talked about, but I must have had a big ol' shit-eatin' grin on my face because at the end of the 15 min. or so conversation, he said, "keep on smilin'!"
7th July 2004 04:31 PM
Joey
WildBillGrover ..................I can smell beer on your breath .
7th July 2004 05:09 PM
MarthaMyDear HI, JOEYKINS!!! I just want to give you just a QUICK
hint to get to the 10k fast, etc.... Just post one word posts and small
posts, and shit... lol................. Have to go 'cause I'm still moving and
at work (I need a vacation), etc.!!! Anyways, take care
and I'll be watching it, of course (and keep up the EXCELLENT
work)!!! PEACE and ROCK ON!!! Take
care!!!

*** Martha ***
Page: 1 2