ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Happy Birthday Baby!
Today 30 years ago Littleredrooster filmed portions of both shows at MSG
Now this "baby" is in digital video, with adjusted brightness, contrast, saturation and sharpness digitally for each take
By Lil' Red Roosta'
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN MACLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Oasis's Noel Gallagher Calls Rolling Stones Tour A 'Ridiculous' Idea Return to archive Page: 1 2
07-12-02 04:01 PM
Chico RE:Gazza. I think Oasis longed to crack America, they wanted to be the "biggest band ever". They did try after their first couple of albums I think but got nowhere.Hence they're now saying they don't want to crack it.Only the best British bands crack America.
07-12-02 04:14 PM
Gazza Oh I dont doubt they were interested at first,Chico...but they never worked at it...just concentrating on a few cities, and generally being obnoxious to their hosts. Americans I guess are less likely to go for "imports" now for various reasons - especially from a band which clearly doesnt like them that much either. Understandable enough.

However,things have changed culturally and musically so much since the 60's,and regardless of how good or bad any band is nowadays,its hard for a new act to break through in the US for various reasons.

i think basically when they can sell 450,000 tickets for two shows at Knebworth and sell out tours here in a nano second,its hard to get motivated to play theatre shows where youre not that big a deal.
07-12-02 04:21 PM
Mr T The Stones sell out 98% of their tickets in what... a day?? And THEIR washed up?? Meanwhile Oasis is lucky to get a gig opening for the Black Crowes at the Crowes' lowpoint in popularity. I think the Gallagers should really brush up on their definition of "washed up". Just cuz they had 2 big albums they think they know what their talking about.
07-12-02 05:02 PM
winter Gazza:

If they don't care about ticket sales here, why are they playing here? Benevolence for their US followers, somehow I doubt it. America is too big a market for them not wish (and wish is the operative word here) that they were a part of it. Maybe if the Black Crows reunite, Oasis can open for them again so they can once again play decent size venues over here.

Winter
07-12-02 06:49 PM
Honky Tonk Man Have of you Americans ever listend to Oasis? Fucking great band man. Listen to such songs as "Cigarettas and Alcahol", "Live Forevewr", "Champagne Supernova", anything by this band except "Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants" is the bollocks.

At their latest gigs at Findsbury Park, is it just my imagination, or has Noel got tounges stickers on his Gibson? buy this weeks NME and you will see.

Ahh, im drunk, i love you all really. Just give Noel, Liam, Guigsy, bonehead, errm didnt these guts leave. Oh yeah, Gem Archer

Ahh, fuck you all!!!

no, im sorry

Alex

Alex
#
Alex
07-12-02 07:19 PM
Gazza >The Stones sell out 98% of their tickets in what... a day?? And THEIR washed up?? Meanwhile Oasis is lucky to get a gig opening for the Black Crowes at the Crowes' lowpoint in popularity.

well..thats in America. My point is in other countries its not the case (they'd easily outdraw and outsell the Stones in the UK even now..which is more an indictment of this country than yours IMO....and worldwide I'd imagine their albums still would outsell the Stones studio efforts too...comparing the QUALITY of both acts is of course pointless and another issue entirely. There IS no comparison. Youre preaching to someone who merely thinks Oasis are merely a bloody good rock 'n' roll band but nothing revolutionary and who thinks the Stones are by a mile the greatest band ever to plug in an amp!

>I think the Gallagers should really brush up on their definition of "washed up". Just cuz they had 2 big albums they think they know what their talking about.

actually all their albums have been pretty big sellers! Again,with respect I think youre looking solely at the US market, not a worldwide one.

>
If they don't care about ticket sales here, why are they playing here? Benevolence for their US followers, somehow I doubt it. America is too big a market for them not wish (and wish is the operative word here) that they were a part of it.

they have a "following" in America,thats why,albeit a small one. However it makes sense to make your money and concentrate your efforts and promotion in a country where youre going to do well. They didnt crack America,so naturally theyre gonna spend more time in markets where they did manage to sell records/tickets etc. Of course theyd WISH to do well there - who wouldnt? - but if it hasnt happened by now,its not gonna happen in the future, so I honestly dont think theyre that bothered by it. They've made their pile of money. Theres lots of top American acts who simply dont "translate" over here either. Works both ways.

ALEX - SOBER THE FUCK UP !!
07-12-02 07:42 PM
Mr T Obviously Oasis still has their following. God knows SOMEBODY must be listening to them for the Gallager brothers to still be working together. But there's no way around it - people really don't care about Oasis anymore - the majority doesn't anyway. For Oasis to say the Stones are all washed up because of their age is bullshit - obviously age has little to do with it if the Stones are still tearing the shit out of Oasis
07-12-02 07:45 PM
Gazza Agree with ya on that last point 100%!!
07-12-02 07:54 PM
complicated let us define rock and roll revival band...Sha-Na-Na..okay?
not the rolling stones...

i hope they never ever stop...i can deal with whatever mood/groove their in. oh, and in a bourgeosie world old people are supposed to age gracefully and be nice old people...what a puritan construct, what a trap!!! well mick & keith are not "nice".. i say let 'em go until they want to stop...they have earned it!!!
07-12-02 09:41 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Oasis is to the Beatles what The Strokes are to the Velvet Underground - imitations. While they have had their hayday (Morning Glory), so have the Stones. The difference? The Stones's hayday lasted two decades. Oasis's? Two albums.

Gallegher, you can say whatever you want, man. But if the Stones *really* work at this tour, no chorus, no piano-drenched stuff a'la Stripped, just the damn band, Ronnie's phlandering, Mick's "I'm so serious Keith cracks up" new age style, Keith's trusty cig and bottle, and Charlie's rock hard rocking, we gonna have ourselves a *revitalization*.

Setting my hopes high? You bet. They've been away for a few years - maybe they've been studying. And they've had their bad times too! Fingerprint File and If You Can't Rock Me (but NOT Get Off My Cloud, which was sublime) offa Love You Live? Gimme a break!

-tYSX --- Gimme Ston-es (That's what I want!)
07-13-02 02:44 AM
Honky Tonk Man Im very Sorry. I actually posted three times in this thread and although i was pissed, i thouht it would be better to delete them.

I dont like to have to apologise for something we must all do now and again (write drunk posts), but this is the second occasion i have done so and it wont happen again.

Thanks

Alex
07-13-02 03:47 PM
Im_Shattered and I see their new album is getting alot of airplay too there already washed out after 5 albums!
Page: 1 2

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road