ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Press Conference to introduce Mick Taylor as the new Rolling Stone
Hyde Park, London June 13, 1969

Photo by Peter Stone
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN MACLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brian Jones Return to archive Page: 1 2
07-09-02 06:30 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
He gave us some great music, gave to his band this wonderful, exotic musical element the late sixties lp's have

and he gave them so much more - something that is even more intangible than music...

i refer you all to nick kent's piece "brian jones:tortured narcissus" generally and quote as follows specifically (brian) dying when he did "for the stones,of course, it was perfect because the dimension no replacement could ever hope to cover was suddenly filled up by his ghost...everyone knew the stones were bad but now they were so bad one of them was holding up a tombstone"... kent also points out that b's death was "the first major rock death of the sixties superstar era"...the benchmark which hendrix, joplin and morrison would come to meet...

interestingly, after he went, m & k (who knows whether conciously or otherwise) adopted some of his persona (though i'm not suggesting his personality)... keith started the decline into his own drug hell and mick became less laddish and more effeminate and camp...

as stu remarked m & k would have made it with or without brian and i would add 'tho there would have been no spirit that informs a way of life without him... as the legend has it m & k learnt a lot from b in the early days... remember it was b that left k gobsmacked with his elmore james impersonation and people who, unlike i suspect most if not all of us here on the board, were actually there at the time say that in the primal days of the band and the m/k/b trimuverate b was definitely the dominant personality... however,two against one are always going to prevail despite early scores - especially with andrew loog waiting in the wings to upset that and any number of other applecarts...

as for b as a person, even based on what i've read, i have no comment... i never knew the guy...i won't judge him at all let alone too harshly... i'd say 'tho that brian lacked focus brilliant tho he was at times (but i'd say it was his persona more than his musicianship that was his real contribution to the band) he didn't seem to keep his head squarely on the music...

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
07-09-02 01:41 PM
gypsy Brian was a "fragile monster."
07-09-02 08:22 PM
Miss U. I personally don't see the point in trashing a man who had alot of good points to his complex personality that usually gets overlooked in favor of alot of myths out there.
We all have faults, and some have clearly shown theirs in this thread.

What's important is that his ex-girlfriends have forgiven him, he treated Anna Wohlin well, and that before he died he wanted to re-establish a bond with his kids and settle down. He had alot of loving to give but wasn't given the opportunity to experience life and growing.
Don't judge him so harshly; you'll never make a saint of him or you. You are not in a position to be condemning Brian Jones. You should be so lucky to touch a lock of his hair. If he had been a different kind of personality we wouldn't have the music, so let's remember not to criticize his personality!!

I've always had respect for Martha, and it would be nice if that was returned.
07-09-02 10:07 PM
Martha Thank you for the comment about always respecting me Miss U. I apologize for the co-dependency comment. Not that I think co-dependency is a negative thing, especially since I myself have those type of issues...my comment was meant as an observation from someone who understands that stuff. No disrespect intended.
07-09-02 10:15 PM
Dandelion*
quote:
Miss U. wrote:
You should be so lucky to touch a lock of his hair.

Um...no thanks!
07-10-02 12:56 AM
gypsy I know Brian is still alive, and kickin' it with Tupac and Biggie on some remote tropical island somewhere. That is what gets me going through each and every day! I just bet they are making some sweet raps and Brian is adding his jajouka!
07-10-02 01:08 AM
KeepRigid
quote:
Dandelion* wrote:

Um...no thanks!

As my lawyer always says, "Diligence is the mother of good luck, and God gives all things to industry."

So Dandy, don't pass up this opportunity! Grab a shovel and let's go!
07-10-02 02:15 AM
The Eggman I completely, agree

lets dig up this former Stone whom is gathering moss, lets see his lucious golden hippy locks with his thinny faggy body frame

iam just kidding

though not about diggin this guy up! MUHAAAAAAAAAAA
07-10-02 09:31 AM
Joey EGGY ................

Your humor is vital and coherent , not to mention quite infectious !!!!!

Thanks !

And , for the record , I just wanted to state right here and now that I will continue to campaign for the return of Mick Taylor "ad infinitum ."

Shouts of " Quitter " will not deter me .

Bunny Joey

07-10-02 12:24 PM
Martha Joey,

I will sign up for that campaign as I would LOVE to see Mick Taylor playing with the Stones...once in my measly little lifetime.

By the way, do you know that Larry Hagman is doing a new show sometimes soon on TV? I only caught the last moment of the bit on Entertainment Tonight late last night....so unfortunatley didn't get the full story.

Glad you are in support of Pino also...I am waiting anxiously for someone to post a review of the Who concert.

As far as digging anyone up for a lock of their hair...hummm...it's a bit outta my tolerance range...weak stomach (I was born with it).
07-10-02 12:27 PM
The Eggman Thats ok Martha, I'll do all the digging
07-10-02 12:34 PM
Joey Bless You Martha My Dear !!!!!

'Glad you are in support of Pino also...I am waiting anxiously for someone to post a review of the Who concert.'

Please check out www.PeteTownshend.com and click on the WHO link for all of the tour reviews . " Who News Section " .

They have been phenomenal !

Joey

07-10-02 01:08 PM
Martha Thanks for the link info Joey...I went but could not access the reviews?? Don't know what the problem is.

If money rains on my head before the August 28th show in Columbus OH... I will go see this show...otherwise I'm dependent on those of you lucky enough to see this tour for reviews. Rock and Roll history in the making.

I can at least claim some historical reference of having been in the crowd at Riverbend Coliseum that fateful day in December when 11 where killed in the mob. I've never seen that many people on the floor of any concert before or since....and I've been to hundreds of concerts. I'll certainly never forget it.
07-10-02 01:33 PM
Joey To Martha My Dear : This is from the " Chairman's Web Site " ....Chairman of the Board Pete Townshend . Enjoy :

Here's the first couple of fan reviews from the Gorge:

" Putting aside the effervescent, 200 decibels, CONSTANT whooohooooing in my ear from the guy next to me, the show was a knockout spectacular. Not as good as the 2000 show - how could it be without the Ox - but good in its own right. The show would be a great way to remember them by, but I hope and pray that Pete and Rog (and Zak and Rabbit for that matter) work together in some capacity after the tour.

As for show specifics, they played the same set list as for the California shows, although Pete teased the crowd with a remark about wanting to play I Can See for Miles. Every song was a highlight, the only lowlight (or lowbrow moment) being when Roger said he just farted to make up for the absence of wind that blew throughout the 2000 Gorge show. Fortunately, Roger was also blowing wind out of his other end, his voice being the best I've heard since shows in the early 80s. Very strong vocals with no mid-tour or second-night hoarseness. Townshend was in top form and it seems his vocals get better with age. His guitar playing? What needs to be said? He strummed, picked, windmilled, hammered, shook, and virtually tortured his guitar all night long into making that incredible noise that is trademark Who, until the end of Won't Get Fooled Again when his red fender finally screamed "Uncle" and Pete smashed it to pieces into the stage.

Adam � Seattle

It's 2.10am and my family and I are just back (to Seattle) from The Gorge (currently on vacation from Scotland). I've been fortunate enough to see The Who around 30 times over the last 30 years or so, including Wednesday's performance at the Shoreline. I can honestly say that I have never seen them perform with as much energy as tonight at the beautiful venue in Washington State. I would never want to comment on how the band have managed to deal with the loss of John Entwistle, and I could see how hard it was for them to deliver their superb show on Wednesday night. But tonight, the whole band looked very much at ease and clearly came on to give everything they had - which was plenty. Roger's comments after 'Who Are You' about how having seen many of the crowd walking to the show while he and the others were on their way in made him reflect on all the years the band have been playing and about knowing 'who we (the audience) are' said a lot. Pete also commented before Bargain (after joking that the audience were getting a Bargain however much they had paid for a ticket - ha ha) that they (the Band) were also getting a Bargain in terms of all the love and support they had received this tour. I'd never be able to give a song-by-song, chord-by-chord account of the show. Suffice it to say that from just 10 rows out, I saw Pete give almost every chord and solo of every song the absolute most that I'd ever seen him give. Roger's vocals were almost as perfect as Wednesday. Pino had clearly settled in even more. Simon has turned out to be a great addition. Zak was outstanding throughout - with special commendation for Won't get Fooled Again. Rabbit was as solid as ever. With so much energy all the way through, I shouldn't have been surprised by Pete's double-ending on Won't Get Fooled Again - similar to Watford earlier this year, but going on to smash his guitar to pieces was not only thrilling to the wonderfully appreciative audience, but was also, in my opinion, further evidence of just how engaged he was in this particular show. There were a couple of occasions when the sound wasn't quite right - a bit of a hum at one point and a bit luder than usual at others, but the show in total was a truly maximum performance and even after all these years of being pleasantly surprised by The Who, it's really hard to imagine this one ever being topped. Thanks guys (and thanks to Matt for the plectrum - a real treasure). Now I look forward to reading the reviews from the folks who are able to give song-by-song accounts. Steven Lyall

i had mixed feelings about going to this show. friends were saying, "have a great time" and i would cut them off. it felt wrong to say "have a great time" or to be excited about seeing pete and roger. but i had to be there. if they could still get up onstage and play, then they needed and deserved my support.

when they walked onstage and launched into the substitute/can't explain/AAA trio, i felt that old familiar rush of happiness and excitement. i couldn't stop it. i thought they'd walk out and i'd just cry and cry for the entire show. and that didn't happen. during AAA, i looked toward what would have been john's side and then the tears started a little, but the music was too big, too great, too wonderful for that to last for long.

i thought this show was tremendous. roger's voice is the strongest i've heard it in years, it almost never faltered. pete's playing was focused and inspired, none of the meandering that he sometimes lapsed into in previous years.

i thoroughly enjoyed "another tricky day," although it was during that song that we were 'evicted' from where we were standing by late arrivals. but we moved down the aisle to the end, and that vantage point was almost better because the way the rows are set up at the gorge - the rows curve, so the ends are right at the barrier. i had to drop back one more row when yet more late arrivals showed up 8 or 9 songs in, but i was still pretty much at the front for a good portion of the show, right in front of pino.

i watched "my generation" from shoreline on pete's site and so felt the gaping hole. but being there is somehow different. even when the quadrophenia section of the set began with "5:15" i kind of held my breath, waiting to feel that glaring absence. no, it wasn't the same as if john was there, but it was still valid and powerful. "sea and sand" was amazing, even better than quadrophenia 96, and "love reign o'er me" was unbelievable. i watched roger's face intently and hoped that that was sweat running down his face and not tears, even though i was shedding enough at that moment for both of us. they follow that with "behind blue eyes" and i exclaim, "thanks, guys, put ALL the tearjerkers together for me...." roger at the front of the stage, naked and exposed, honest as ever.

every time it seemed that roger was getting emotional, pete would mug or make some face in his direction and that would lighten the mood - for all of us. what i love about the who, unlike, say, the stones, is that the interaction and emotion and friendship between the members is still very much there, very present. this is even more pronounced now. they need to lean on each other to get through it and they do. there was much love, much laughter, and much emotion of all kinds. pete's face during many songs told it all.

the only low points in the set for me were 'eminence front' and WGFA. the bass is just not there yet, it's such a distinctive line that it's going to take pino a while to find his place in it. pete had no focus and there was no groove. WGFA wasn't the anthemic powerhouse that we've come to depend on and expect, but it wasn't disappointing in the least. it's just a different approach to the song.

however, 'my generation' more than made up for the lack of power in WGFA. it was just so - punk rock. thrashing, screaming, biting, intense as hell. i pogoed madly until my feet hurt. it's not the same without john, no. if they played it the way they had on previous tours, fairly straight ahead, it would have been different. but lighting that fuse and then going out there and taking no prisoners the way they are playing it now, it works. even if you hold your breath when it comes to the bass solo.

the guitar smash. i couldn't see it coming and when pete started, i thought he was just joking - but then i held my breath as he went for it with down to the very marrow of his bones, and then held it up, pieces still shaking barely together, and smirked. and then we all laughed with him. "don't all fight for it now..." he said, as they walked off the stage prior to the encore.

there were jokes. roger thanking the powers that be for controlling the wind (the gorge being utterly and completely out of doors, at the edge of the columbia river gorge, hence the name) makes the sound a dodgy proposition at the best of times. but then he says, "speaking of wind.." and fans in the direction of his rear end. pete laughs and says, "whoa... it's headed your way!" yes, the who making fart jokes.

the tommy medley was, for me, even better than the quadrophenia segment, and that's saying a lot. roger smashing the hell out of those tambourines. and then "listening to you," and i'm standing there with my arms raised, just singing and singing along as hard as i can. it was at the last part of "listening to you" that i finally broke down and cried and cried and cried, while singing as hard as i could. i had the thought at that moment: this may be it. this may the last time you ever see this, feel this again. and that thought was unbearable, although i realize i have no choice in the matter.

but the overall feeling, to me, was that this was so the right decision for them to make. the songs are still t he same songs you know and love, played for all that they're worth. they aren't going out there and phoning it in. there is nothing half-hearted about these performances. they are giving all they can give every night. and that is the best possible tribute they could have given john. cancelling the tour wouldn't have done anything except placate people who think they have the right to tell pete and roger how they should mourn their friend.

this show is triumph and tribute, mourning and celebration. it was so much more than i expected, and absolutely everything that i needed - emotionally AND musically.

we never get thunder in seattle. we're in this weird "convergence zone" between two mountain ranges that stops it from getting through to us. today, as i sit and write this, it is raining, and there is thunder rolling through. i'm finding it a lovely coincidence that it's happening the day after the who played here.

Caryn

To make it short and sweet, last night�s show at the gorge was loud, fierce and explosive; classic Who.

To make a point early. The only people that have been sleepwalking through their act lately are the hack journalists that are all writing the same ill-informed review. The Who have NOT been sleepwalking through their shows. The 2000 tour was nothing short of awesome. The fact that the so called "rock journalists" didn�t figure it out until the Concert for New York is not the Who�s problem. Maybe they should do their job and check out the RAH 2000 DVD.

Anyway, when the Who played the Gorge in 2000, I was blown away by Pete�s intensity on the guitar. At last night�s show, Pete continued from where he left off in the 2000 tour by strumming, picking, poking, banging, and otherwise violating his Fender with skill and fury. I�m not sure what�s is driving Pete these days, but his performances are clearly unmatched by anyone. His sound was sharp and loud. As important, Roger has really taken it up a notch. Roger really tore into AAA and Who Are You with the gritty raspy growly voice that was his signature of the Who Are You album. He was definitely kicking ass and taking names.

And did I mention it was loud? This show was far louder than the 2000 show.

The early highlights for me were I Can't Explain, Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere and and Sea & Sand. An interesting note is that Roger and Pete were really playing off each other�s energy; far more than I�ve ever seen in prior shows. As the show progressed, Pete and Roger bantered back and forth about how the Gorge (an untouched piece of country in mid-state Washington) needed to be developed. Roger suggested an auto mall while Pete suggested a skate board park. At that point, Pete gave a goofy smirk and the "hang loose mongoose" hand-sign, something he would do several times in the show as a mocking gesture to the west-coast skateboard/surfer doods.

At various times, Pete had having trouble hitting some of the softer notes. When that happened, he would give that surfer smirk and revert to barking his lines, similar to what he did for his live vocals on BOR in the Kid�s Are Alright Movie. Just the way I like my Who, rough and tough.

Just before leading into the Kids Are Alright, Pete and Roger noticed a slight hum in the sound system and proclaimed that it was a gremlin in the system. Pete started moving his guitar around like a directional antenna and proclaimed that the problem was in the back on his side since the hum got louder when he aimed his guitar that way. They were able to minimize the hum and they started in to the Kid�s Are Alright. Pete and Roger both balked on the start and some loud obnoxious bloke in the audience was faked out and screamed the opening line "I don�t mind . . .". That got a laugh. They then headed into the song for real. This was followed by a fast and furious My Generation. Pino carried the bass solo in his unique style. The crowd cheered in support. Pete�s solo was fast paced and full of fire, nothing short of awesome. My Generation was shorter than I would have liked, but it really packed a wallop. They ended My Generation by immediately launching into Won't Get Fooled Again. The WGFA climax scream was heart stopping, as usual, and right on the mark. After ending the song, Pete re-launched the ending solo, reminiscent of the 1982 tours. Then it happened....

What every Who fan dreams about. Pete� takes two wild swings at the microphone stand with his axe, like he�s chopping down a cherry tree. Then he reloads, hesitates for a minute, and proceeds to smash his red fender into the stage. The crowd went nuts. I think he was attacking the gremlins. Whatever it was, this was classic Who carnage.

The band then left the stage and a short slide show was presented that focused mostly on John. Other than the slide show, very few referenced were made toward John. I miss John dearly, but I respect the Roger and Pete�s choice to deal with their grief in the way they choose.

Finally, the band came back for the final set. These last three songs from Tommy were easily worth the price of admission by themselves. They started out with Pinball Wizard. Pino really uncorked the bass and let it fly on this one. Without question, the highlight of the evening for me was Amazing Journey/Sparks. Roger was in full tilt with the microphone twirling. Zak opened a can on whoop ass on the drums. And Pete, well, Pete was Pete. Fans will give me crap for this, but I�m talking Live At Leeds, it was so good. They ended the show appropriately with Listening to you. Pete�s guitar solo was on the mark and the crowd joined in nicely on vocals.

Roger spoke a little bit at the end. His last words were "Never give up!" Indeed, they certainly havent!

While it goes without saying, DON�T MISS THIS TOUR! You�ll certainly regret it!

Jeff

This was my 3rd time seeing The Who in person. I saw them in 97 in Charlotte, and also in 2000 in Atlanta. Even though they were without John Entwistle, this was the most fun I have had at a Who concert. If The Ox had been there, it would have been even greater, and we all miss him dearly. There has never been a greater bass player and never will be. He will always live in the music. But about the show-fantastic. I had 12th row tickets on the left side of the stage, close to the speakers. My ears are still ringing from it too. Counting Crows did a great job opening up, and their lead singer had lots of praise for the boys, saying it was the "Best week of my life." The Who came out with the standard opening ( Can't Explain, Sub, AAA) and sounded great. Roger sang very well on night, especially on Love Reign O'er Me and See Me Feel Me- both of which aren't played very often. I liked most of the songs added to this tour- Another Tricky Day, Sea and Sand, Love Reign O'er Me, Amazing Journey/Sparks, were all great. Eminence Front was ok, but it's just not a song I care for, Pete made it entertaining. Won't Get Fooled Again featured a jam ending, then something I didn't at all expect to see happened. Pete raised his guitar like he was going to smash it, and it got the crowd going real good. He had done this at another show I went to, so I thought he was playing around again. But this time, he smacked over his microphone stand and smashed the hell out of his guitar. It was a moment I'll always remember, and now all of my friends back in South Carolina are very jealous ( " I'm just going to hang up the phone right now.") Pete was amazing throughout the night, windmilling and just leaving the crowd in awe. Zak was on fire too. He seemed to have a lot more freedom to do what he wanted this go round, so I watched him a good bit throughout the night. Rabbit was a little more subdued this time than on the last few tours, he wasn't throwing the organ in on Substitute like he usually does- which made me happy. I think he's a great player though- don't get me wrong, but I just always hated that organ coming in over everything else. He was great on Love Reign O'er Me and had his moment to shine, which I thought was great. He played the opening very well. Simon did his job and sang very well. I didn't notice his guitar playing very much though. His extra vocal was a great addition to the band. Then there's Pino. This man filled in for the greatest bassist of all time and did a damn fine job. My respect for him is unmeasurable. He held his own all night, and I could feel his bass shaking me all night. It was so loud next to the speakers are clothes were shaking, and I hope Pino knows how much we y ear were hurting, but you gotta love it. We all love him and we support him all the way. I liked how he was jamming to the music all night, banging his head a little. Very impressive all around, if you can make it out to see The Who this year, do it- it'll be worth your money. I hope this isn't the last tour, but if it is, my last experience was the best I could have ever hoped for. "

Eric Sprott

07-10-02 03:52 PM
Miss U. Thanks for the concern, Martha, but it's misguided.

I've never been with an abusive person & doubt I ever will. Not to mention I've worked helping abused kids in the past...I guess that helps me look at the big picture and the root of it all, that Brian came from an abusive family himself. With enough love, maturity & help these people can change themselves. What's so tragic about BRian's death is he was just getting himself together, in a happy healthy relationship.

Take care of yourself.
07-10-02 11:24 PM
Martha Joey,

Thanks for posting the reviews..after I posted that I couldn't get in to read them , I figured my way in and had read the ones you posted...now I feel I must go see them...what great reviews!!!! Pete smashing the guitar on stage would be too cool...not to mention the sheer emotion of being there and the intent of the tour...to give tribute to the Ox...may he rest in peace. I hope like hell I get to go August 28th...Polaris Ampitheater!

Miss U. Codependents do not only get in to abusive relationships...physically speaking. My tendency is to get involoved with friends who are unavailable emotionally and who have a lot of problems that they don't deal with...and then I start to take on their "stuff". I am doing much better nowadays with that though...but it is a very draining way to be around people. I am glad to hear you have never been in an abusive relationship. May you never be!

Now.....LET"S ROCK!!!!

ps Joey..I'm not Martha My Dear...that is someone else who posts here...I'm just Martha.
07-11-02 09:31 AM
Joey 'I can at least claim some historical reference of having been in the crowd at Riverbend Coliseum that fateful day in December when 11 where killed in the mob. I've never seen that many people on the floor of any concert before or since....and I've been to hundreds of concerts. I'll certainly never forget it. '

You were there ???? WOW !!!!!! I was in High School when that happened and I remember hearing about it the next morning in the carpool to school . WE all agreed it was one of the most horrific events ever , topped one year later when I heard the news that John Lennon had died .

Have you seen the VH1 Special " One hundred most shocking moments in Rock and Roll " ???? The Cincinnati WHO tragedy was ranked # 6 , just behind Marvin Gaye getting shot . "WKRP in Cincinnati " did an episode about it too .

Are THE WHO banned from ever performing in Cincinnati again ??????? Curious

" Help Me Ronnie "

Snaggle Joe

07-11-02 12:06 PM
Martha Joey,

I was there...and in fact we got there early so I got to see the crowd grow to the proportion that I couldn't get myself out of if I'd tried. I was up against the wall of the coliseum right next to the last door in the series of doors to the venue. They only opened 1 door (in the middle..and there were probably 6 total)...that caused people to rush the door...so many were in the crowd that they couldn't have been able to see what was happening from back just a little ways. I remember that when the crowd moved in any direction it moved you becuase it was that f/cking crowded and intense. Then they began to open other doors and the last door started to openwhich I was right beside...but it started to catch me in that I would have gotten squashed BEHIND it once it was fully open...(the closest I came to extinction at a Rock and Roll show) My first husband pulled me as hard as he could and suddenly we were squeezed like lemons and went through the door and were inside...I was very shook up and it all felt surreal. I saw people inside crying and with plastic blow up (temporary) casts on their legs. It was truly mayhem.

I had NO idea anyone died though until we left the show for the hotel...to try and meet the Who afterwards..(I did this all the time in the 70's and met quite a few people this way) We went to the bar at the hotel and that is were we learned what had happened...on the nightly news. The Who didn't show up so we left (had to drive 55 miles home). Later I learned that they were staying at that hotel and we missed them by leaving when we did...they stayed at the venue a lot longer than normal due to the upsetting situation. They knew what had happened before they went on stage.

Daltrey looked fine in his leather fringe madness.

I don't have cable TV and so sadly have not seen about a million things that I wish I could watch on VH-1 and MTV...including the special on that tragedy. Sigh...

I've only heard rumors that they aren't allowed to play in Cincy...it was the promoters fault though...they sold more TX for the floor than was legal..(firecode wise)..it certainly changed concert going forever...

How old are you Joey? I graduated in 1975 from HS.
07-11-02 01:51 PM
Joey 'They knew what had happened before they went on stage. '

That is not what Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey said .......Their Promoter , Bill Curbishley , allegedly told the band what really happened AFTER the encore .

Martha , that is one terrifying story ! You are very lucky to be alive . I graduated from High School in 1982 and saw my first WHO concert in October of that year ( Kenny Jones' last stand ) !!!!

Later ,

Joey

Page: 1 2

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road