ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Gimme another chance please, I can play the drums babies
© 1970 Michael Putland with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan biopic released on DVD Return to archive Page: 1 2
June 30th, 2005 09:14 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Dylan biopic released on DVD
30 June 2005

LOS ANGELES: Martin Scorsese's feature-length biopic of Bob Dylan, No Direction Home: Bob Dylan, will debut on DVD on September 20, six days before its US broadcast premiere on PBS and UK bow on the BBC.

On PBS, the film will air September 26 and 27 as part of the American Masters series. It also will air September 26 on the BBC's Arena program.

The DVD, from Paramount Home Entertainment, will include extensive additional footage and bonus materials.

The film focuses on Dylan's life and music from 1961-66 and includes never-before-seen performance footage and interviews with artists and musicians whose lives were intertwined in some way with Dylan during that time.

Scorsese and his crew had access to rare material from the Bob Dylan Archives' film, tape and stills collection, including footage from Murray Lerner's film festival documenting performances at the 1963, '64 and '65 Newport Folk Festivals, outtakes from D.A. Pennebaker's famed 1967 documentary Don't Look Back and interviews with Allen Ginsberg, Pete Seeger and Joan Baez, among others.

A double-CD soundtrack will be released August 30 on Columbia/Legacy Records, and a book, The Bob Dylan Scrapbook 1956-1966, will be published by Simon & Schuster on October 1.

June 30th, 2005 09:55 AM
GimmeExile This is a match made in heaven: Scorsese is my favorite filmmaker and Dylan is my favorite (well, one of my top-three favorite) singer/songwriter.

I've been anticipating this project since it was announced in May 2003.
June 30th, 2005 10:23 AM
voodoopug
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
This is a match made in heaven: Scorsese is my favorite filmmaker and Dylan is my favorite (well, one of my top-three favorite) singer/songwriter.

I am seeing Bob perform with Willie next month...are his live performances as dreadful as I have read?
June 30th, 2005 10:54 AM
Gazza
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
This is a match made in heaven: Scorsese is my favorite filmmaker and Dylan is my favorite (well, one of my top-three favorite) singer/songwriter.

Ditto
June 30th, 2005 11:12 AM
Martha I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!! Good thing time flies.....:-)

voodoopug......dreadful is not a word we use to describe a Bob gig. His show at the Louisville Slugger Field last night was simply incredible. I could see Bob shows everyday if I had the stamina, which I don't.

Which gig are you catching?
June 30th, 2005 11:13 AM
Gazza my nipples are exploding with delight

Martha - what Dylan/Nelson shows have you seen on this tour?
June 30th, 2005 11:18 AM
glencar Puggy, why would you even think of going to see Dylan if you've heard he's "dreadful"? WTF?
June 30th, 2005 11:20 AM
jb Dylan, like the Stones, is a sell out. His r/s with Starbuks is disturbing. I was trying to drink my Venti Vanilla Latte(with whipped cream) yesterday, when his nasal-like voice came out of the sound system...truly annoying.
June 30th, 2005 11:22 AM
Saint Sway wow thats cool! I have the highest expectations for this!

cant wait!

will it be available everywhere? Or is this thru some chain?
June 30th, 2005 11:25 AM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:
Dylan, like the Stones, is a sell out. His r/s with Starbuks is disturbing. I was trying to drink my Venti Vanilla Latte(with whipped cream) yesterday, when his nasal-like voice came out of the sound system...truly annoying.

Some people ain't human jb.

By the way, can you feel your emotions?
June 30th, 2005 11:28 AM
glencar LOL
June 30th, 2005 11:35 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I am seeing Bob perform with Willie next month...are his live performances as dreadful as I have read?

Depends on what night you get him. Some of his live shows are shocking and awing. Some are not. "Uneven" is the best way to describe Dylan, but when he's on, he's on and far better than anyone else in his age group - fuck Macca, fuck Townshend, hell, fuck the Stones, he covered "Brown Sugar" in 2002 and ran away with it. I agree with Martha, I'd see him every day if I could, even though I know I'd get some clunkers in the mix.

My biggest complaint when I saw him last was that the rock songs didn't rock hard enough. The slower songs were incredible and it was a night with a lot of slower tunes (Boston 5/15, I think... whatever the Friday night show at the Orpheum was - people said it was the biggest changeup in his setlists since London two years ago when he flipped the bird to everyone and played a set of complete rarities that included "Quinn The Eskimo," "Jokerman" and lots of other great stuff). The rockers didn't work as well. "Highway 61" was great. He's redone "To Be Alone With You" as a rock song. But "Summer Days" was like sucking the air out of the room, a total 180-degree turn from the first time I saw him when it was the strongest song in the set. "Cold Irons Bound" had really awesome drumming but the guitars just didn't fill in where they were supposed to.

But people I've talked to say if you get him on a good night this tour he's really incredible. Go on a Sunday if you can, he plays "God Knows" every Sunday, and that thing's a hymn to remember. Why that got stuck as a really lackluster performance (that even SRV couldn't save) on Under The Red Sky and not put on every greatest hits collection is beyond me.
June 30th, 2005 11:35 AM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:
my nipples are exploding with delight

Martha - what Dylan/Nelson shows have you seen on this tour?

This year we have seen Bob 7 times. 3 of the Chicago 5-pack and 1 in Detroit this spring and 3 ballpark shows: Greensboro NC, Eastlake, OH and Louisville, KY.

Willies' sons have not been at the last two of those shows. Little Sister was not at the NC show but is back with Willie now.

Last night was my 23 show and it was truly delightful.

So.........Am I catching up with you yet? :-)

Bob actually plays every song a bit or a lot differently EACH time we see him. Now that I am into him so deeply I can hear those nuances and I thank goodness I let myself move past the rudimentary stage of thinking "his voice sounds blah blah blah" and "he doesnt' play the songs like on his records" and "blah blah blah bitch and whine".........the poor me attitude of ignorance. I have Dr. Fith Flea, Stonesy, Lazy Bones, Pam, Hazy TMR and YOU to thank for that education.

It's all good and I'm seeing Bob as much as possible until the end now. It's the most living thing I can get to in this culture of brain dead zombies.

I want to live the real life.

xxxxxxxooooooo,
Martha!

PS And I did see Fogerty and my Johnny open their tour.....absolutely incredible show! Fogerty came out on fire! I'm over the moon right now!
June 30th, 2005 11:46 AM
Gazza yes, despite being a late convert to the 'cause' you're catching up with me quickly. Lucky you to get so many shows so reasonably close. I havent seen Bob in a year.

However, he'll be touring the UK late September/early October I am told and I expect to hear advance notice of where and when within the next few days. There will be other European shows too, including Germany.

At the minute, I'm still ahead of you with 27 shows since 1984, although I tend to see just a couple each year (he's played the UK in every one of the years since the Never Ending Tour began in 1988 with the exception of '88, '92, '94, and '99. The only years he played here that I missed were '90 and '97). Saw him twice with Petty in '87 as well.

A 'package' shall be en route to you shortly. You might approve of the contents.
June 30th, 2005 11:59 AM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:
yes, despite being a late convert to the 'cause' you're catching up with me quickly. Lucky you to get so many shows so reasonably close. I havent seen Bob in a year.

However, he'll be touring the UK late September/early October I am told and I expect to hear advance notice of where and when within the next few days. There will be other European shows too, including Germany.

At the minute, I'm still ahead of you with 27 shows since 1984, although I tend to see just a couple each year (he's played the UK in every one of the years since the Never Ending Tour began in 1988 with the exception of '88, '92, '94, and '99. The only years he played here that I missed were '90 and '97). Saw him twice with Petty in '87 as well.

A 'package' shall be en route to you shortly. You might approve of the contents.

My beloved Grandmother used to tell me I was a "late bloomer" so I must be right on time with myself. :-) Thank goodness I woke up and got on board when I did. I'm having the time of my life. Bob is like no one else. I completely dig that man.

Package!?!?!........honey, you know how to make me drool and sit by the mailbox don't you! :-) I have packages and burning to catch-up on myself. You know how I operate so something will be showing up on your end at some point too. :-)

I'm thrilled that Bob is coming your way this fall. It is your turn afteall. A year had gone by since you saw him? That would be hard on me. I don't like going 3 months without seeing him.

I think he's been spoiling me!

love you sweetie,
Martha the Music Pharey

PS Why can't I find "Under the Red Sky" in the Best Buy store, it isn't available at my BMG club either? I NEED it!
June 30th, 2005 11:59 AM
jb
quote:
Martha wrote:

Some people ain't human jb.

By the way, can you feel your emotions?

Hi Martha!!! I feel many emotions and appreciate the stuff you have sent me...but Dylan and Coffee don't go!!!
June 30th, 2005 12:00 PM
glencar Try amazon.com, Martha!
June 30th, 2005 12:02 PM
glencar Here, my dear: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000027DR/qid=1120147317/sr=1-59/ref=sr_1_59/002-9524277-5880047?v=glance&s=music
June 30th, 2005 12:13 PM
jb My friend gave me some show by the "band" which featured Dylan and a Ron Wood, among others. I did not enjoy it. Instead, I watched a dvd of the Doors live from Europe in 68..I liked it.
June 30th, 2005 12:14 PM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:
Hi Martha!!! I feel many emotions and appreciate the stuff you have sent me...but Dylan and Coffee don't go!!!

Hi hon! To each his own....I'm sorry you don't hear and get Bob like I do. The music he makes to me is the sound of beauty. You have to be open and really listen to him to get that. The first time it came over me was at the first of the Detroit 3-pack in 2004.

Are you open jb? :-)

I have something else to burn for you now that I think you will love. It may take me a bit since we are moving and things are in an uproar at our home....but I won't forget.......stay alive for me and the package will get to you one of these days. :-)

I would greet you at a show anytime, so count me in on that list as well. I can't take the time to read all the threads with my dial-up and all I have to get done.....

kisses,
MM
June 30th, 2005 12:24 PM
jb
quote:
Martha wrote:

Hi hon! To each his own....I'm sorry you don't hear and get Bob like I do. The music he makes to me is the sound of beauty. You have to be open and really listen to him to get that. The first time it came over me was at the first of the Detroit 3-pack in 2004.

Are you open jb? :-)

I have something else to burn for you now that I think you will love. It may take me a bit since we are moving and things are in an uproar at our home....but I won't forget.......stay alive for me and the package will get to you one of these days. :-)

I would greet you at a show anytime, so count me in on that list as well. I can't take the time to read all the threads with my dial-up and all I have to get done.....

kisses,
MM

I am open to all.....sadly, I strained my lower back as a result of a violent sneeze last night. I just took two perkosets and a shot of JWBlue...I feel slightly better, but my face is very warm. have a great time in Detroit as there are only 11k seats sold in a 40k seat venue...Columbus is a little better, but not much. The mid-west hates and loathes the Stones.
June 30th, 2005 01:28 PM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:

I am open to all.....sadly, I strained my lower back as a result of a violent sneeze last night. I just took two perkosets and a shot of JWBlue...I feel slightly better, but my face is very warm. have a great time in Detroit as there are only 11k seats sold in a 40k seat venue...Columbus is a little better, but not much. The mid-west hates and loathes the Stones.

The midwest has a lot of working class people who cannot afford to go to a concert let alone Stones shows jb. They love the Stones in these parts, but feel the Stones don't love them when they ask for the moon via ticket prices. Many people are without the funds for such activities these days and those numbers are rising steadily. My husbands company just shut their doors last Monday and at least 20 of the employees who work there are without jobs starting July 15th. Working class people are taking the hardest hit. As usual.

Sorry you are in such bad pain jb. I have it everyday myself it comes and goes in intensity.....in my hip and lower back......stretching and relaxing my muscles and managing my stress load helps me a lot. I hope you find relief that takes you beyond needing the pain meds....that shit can cause trouble if taken too often. I can't even think of taking percosets......narcotics are waaaaau too strong for me. They make me as sick as a dog.

Take good care.

xxoo,
M

June 30th, 2005 01:38 PM
jb Ohio, sadly, was a red state. They are now reaping their rewards............
June 30th, 2005 06:01 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Martha wrote:
I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!! Good thing time flies.....:-)

voodoopug......dreadful is not a word we use to describe a Bob gig. His show at the Louisville Slugger Field last night was simply incredible. I could see Bob shows everyday if I had the stamina, which I don't.

Which gig are you catching?

i am going to the one very near my office in Schaumburg, IL...it was a fathers day present from my wife and son.

I did a google search for bob dylan reviews and read many negative ones. Mostly positive for Willie though. i look forward regardless and shall greet one and all.
June 30th, 2005 08:32 PM
Martha
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

i am going to the one very near my office in Schaumburg, IL...it was a fathers day present from my wife and son.

I did a google search for bob dylan reviews and read many negative ones. Mostly positive for Willie though. i look forward regardless and shall greet one and all.

Read the reviews at Bill Pagel's site. Especially those written by people who see Bob lots. :-)

Have a great time!
July 1st, 2005 10:44 AM
Martha
quote:
glencar wrote:
Try amazon.com, Martha!

glencar you rocked me! I did that and then realized since I have a card to try Best Buy and waaaaaahhlah it's in the mail to me right now.

In the meantime, to assuage my cravings I dug out the spectacular TMR recordings of the 3 Nights in Detroit which are truly incredible.....

I'll burn copies of them for anyone who asks (this means you too jb).

Under the Red Sky was song 4 that night (my first time) and I've loved it ever since.

Gary, you've seen a wider variety of Dylan over the years so I can never aspire to that level. I'm just goin to as many Bob shows as I can from this moment forward. Lead me!

:-)

I'm no pig without a wig I hope they treat me kind.

peace out,
Martha
July 1st, 2005 05:58 PM
GimmeExile To the Dylan fans, especially you Martha:

Do you like Dylan's new band lineup or do your prefer Charlie Sexton and Larry Campbell?
July 1st, 2005 08:35 PM
Schleisher I've only Dylan three times, in 2001, 2002 and 2004 and I have to say I prefered the first band, with Larry Campbell and Charlie Sexton. The second time was heavy with covers, which I really did like, he even covered Warren Zevon's "Accidentally Like Martyr," which was great knowing about Warren's failing health. The two guys in front of me had no idea what or whose song it was, they thought it was a "lost" song of Bob's from the 80s. Needless to say, they might not have liked it, but I did. His version of "Brown Sugar" rocked. My least favorite was the last time, I think Freddy Coella (sp?) was on guitar, and Larry was still there, but it wasn't as good as the first two. I haven't heard the newest band yet, does he still have the violin player?
July 1st, 2005 09:20 PM
Gazza He has one of the two violin players - Elana Fremerman left the band after the spring tour, presumably to go back to her 'day job' with the Hot Club of Cowtown.

I like the violin sound, and always did when featured on previous tours (Rolling Thunder, the '78 tour).

I think Larry Campbell's versatility added a great texture to the band's sound and he's still missed.

However, I've been pretty much consistently impressed with the various line-ups that Dylan has had in the last few years. Campbell, Charlie Sexton, Koella and Stu Kimball all brought something of value into the band.

I only saw Freddie Koella with Dylan once (Wembley, November 2003) and I thought he was outstanding. I was sorry when he left

The Campbell/Sexton line up was probably my favourite, though. Those European shows in September/October 2000 were quite something
[Edited by Gazza]
July 1st, 2005 09:32 PM
gypsy
quote:
jb wrote:
Dylan, like the Stones, is a sell out. His r/s with Starbuks is disturbing. I was trying to drink my Venti Vanilla Latte(with whipped cream) yesterday, when his nasal-like voice came out of the sound system...truly annoying.

I think it's only fair that Dylan makes money. It's totally unfair how some untalented people, such as Britney Spears et al, can make a millions for doing so little. It's sad to see how many truly artistic performers were ripped off or cheated out of millions in their early days. Dylan can be a sellout if he wants to be. He's earned that right.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)