ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Lynn Goldsmith
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [THE ROLLING STONES] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN MACLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: This just in,Daultry dead..Pete vows to contine tour... Return to archive Page: 1 2
06-29-02 12:31 AM
Riffhard Timeline 11:29 pm 28/6/02:
LasVegas,Nd.
Just one day after the death of bassist John Entwistle,Roger Daultry lead vocalist for the rock group The Who has died of an apparent guilty conscience.Mr. Daultry was found dead in his hotel room cluthching a handfull of one hundred dollor bills.
Founding,and only surviving member of The Who,Pete Townsend vowed to "Keep on fighting the good fight and carry-on for my lost brothers!",he stated,while Daultry's body was being wheeled out of his hotel room."I'm sure this is what they would have wanted."When asked if the band could have gone on without himself,Mr. Townsend exclaimed"What,you mean if I had died instead of Roger or John?Don't be silly!There would be no Who if not for me for fuck's sake!"

developing........

Riffhard
[Edited by Riffhard]
06-29-02 12:36 AM
gypsy I heard Pete's going to team up with the remaining Traveling Wilburys...
06-29-02 01:24 AM
KeepRigidsLawyer My prayers are with Pete. They go in three's.
06-29-02 05:04 AM
The Eggman Persoally, I dont think none of this is very funny
We lost a member of one greatest contributions to the world of rock and roll

We should respect it as much we can

Never thought "We get fooled again"

RIP Ox
[Edited by The Eggman]
06-29-02 09:12 AM
stone jr. Roger dead? *cries* he is my favorite member of the Who. Wait, are you lying that Roger died? It's very sad. *cries*
06-29-02 09:15 AM
stone jr.
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Timeline 11:29 pm 28/6/02:
LasVegas,Nd.
Just one day after the death of bassist John Entwistle,Roger Daultry lead vocalist for the rock group The Who has died of an apparent guilty conscience.Mr. Daultry was found dead in his hotel room cluthching a handfull of one hundred dollor bills.
Founding,and only surviving member of The Who,Pete Townsend vowed to "Keep on fighting the good fight and carry-on for my lost brothers!",he stated,while Daultry's body was being wheeled out of his hotel room."I'm sure this is what they would have wanted."When asked if the band could have gone on without himself,Mr. Townsend exclaimed"What,you mean if I had died instead of Roger or John?Don't be silly!There would be no Who if not for me for fuck's sake!"

developing........

Riffhard
[Edited by Riffhard]

Roger dead? I'm sad. VERY,Very,Very,Very,Very sad. Roger is not dead!
06-29-02 10:14 AM
Maxlugar Thanks Riffhard!!!

That made my post Yankee victory/ hung over morning!!!

You are loved by Maxy!

06-29-02 10:29 AM
mattb Not funny.
06-29-02 10:31 AM
nanky Fucking hysterical
06-29-02 12:20 PM
FPM C10
quote:
nanky wrote:
Fucking hysterical

I agree. Once again Riffhard proves his C10 status, even though he wasn't there. The 11th member of the C10.

I understand why others here are upset about the post - it's because they don't understand. The Ox had a well-documented streak of black humor, especially about death, even his own. And before John Entwistles Rigor Mortis Sets In, Roger and Pete are off and running with a studio hack in tow? I'm sure John would have had some caustic and hilarious comments about it. But thwe greatness of the post is because it's funny, and strikes a chord of TRUTH.

Some of the backlash above seems to be because the posters thought Roger really was dead. Well, no crime in cluelessness. It's only his conscience that's dead.

I recently went through a death in my family which was really hard to come to terms with, so I can certainly understand that your initial reaction can be WRONG. I remember John Lennon saying that when his mother died he went to his room with his cousin and laughed hysterically. It's a common occurance.

I put Pete's "The Ox has left the building, the show must go on" in the same wildly inappropriate category. I think he might still change his mind. The shows are going to be miserable for everyone onstage and off.

I was excited about the Who touring for what seemed to be the RIGHT reasons - because they were a BAND and the music mattered again, after 20 years of farewell tours. Carrying on with Pino Pintobeano is just another fucking farewell tour. I said my goodbyes at Shea Stadium in '82.

Farewell John.
RIP the Who.
06-29-02 01:22 PM
Riffhard Thank you Maxy,nanky,and FPM,
You guys get it!
I am not making lite of John's passing.Far from it in fact.I posted an earlier post about what a great guy he was.I will miss his thunderfingers has much as anyone.

It just seems so wrong headed that they continue so soon.No mourning period for such an integeral part of the band?!Twenty million in advance ticket sales plays a huge part in this reasoning no doubt.I find it very telling that in the official announcment that the tour would continue. John's son Christopher states (paraphrasing here)"Our family feels that this is what my father would have wanted.We love the whole Who family and wish them well on this tour."
Gee,I wonder where John's cut is going to go?Here's a hint.It ain't going to Pino Palladino.

So let's call this what it is.A business deal.Plain and simple.Hey,I have no problem with that,but,it looks very bad if you ask me.

Having said that,I have a ticket for the Jersey show.I will go.I will feel very weird about it to say the least.I hope that Pete and Roger have the decency to let the legacy live by not trying to keep the Who's flame buring after two members have burnt out.I feel that they could and should continue to play but drop the name.I mean even Pete said The Who died in 1978.Once Moonie died I felt is was over.Then I saw them in 1980 and '82,and I knew it was.I'm not trying to slag Kenny Jones,but I mean c'mon.I knew Keith Moon(figuratively),and Kenny Jones was no Keith Moon.Then Zakk came on board and seemed to wake up Pete to the greatness that once was The Who.I saw them four times with Zakk behind the kit.He is the closest thing to Keith Moon I have ever seen.Just great.Now,however;with John's passing it is finally over.Really over and that truely sucks.Cest Le Vie!

Riffhard

PS-FPM,thank you so much for the honorary membership in the C-10!I will from this day forward sign off with the C10 moniker with an astrick next to it!

Riffhard C10* <-------- like that!
[Edited by Riffhard]
06-29-02 01:57 PM
Sir Stonesalot I too thought you post was brilliant....one of the very few things to have made me laugh outright in the last couple of days. And I thank you for that.

I can give you 20 million reasons why this tour is still going on.

The depths of the level of shitty-ness that this situation has reached is off the charts....Marianas Trench depth.

BTW, I've drank Guinny's with you....I agree with FPM...you definately have what it takes to be C10. Of course, you weren't there, so you can't actually BE C10...but let's just say that you are firmly in the C10 Auxillary. So instead of an *, how about C10A? Cardinal Fang also fits that bill. There's a few others that on the surface seem like good candidates....but we will just have to wait and see how they perform on the upcoming tour....
06-29-02 02:49 PM
nanky Yes indeed, a warped but lovable breed the C10!
Veni, vidi, chiba
We came, we saw, we got stoned
We are better for it
The spirit lives in many even though they were not fortunate to join us nearly a year ago now. The first official reunion will have a great soundtrack and many many new friends!
Some women would be nice this time
It's nice to have a chick occasionally
06-29-02 03:18 PM
Gazza Nothing wrong with that post

Only thing distasteful is Town$hend and Daltrey arranging to play shows before the poor guy's even in the ground
06-29-02 05:24 PM
Joey I am still pissed off that The WHO had to cancel two gigs .

Why two ???? I understand why they had to cancel Friday nights concert in Las Vegas , Pino was still on an airplane to L.A. .

But why cancel tonight's show ????? They are really missing out on some big bucks

Sir Joey

06-29-02 07:00 PM
Gazza Well....maybe the guy has to rehearse??

I guess also they have to let it go for a couple of days just so their great rush to resume the tour doesnt look TOO hasty...(severe dose of sarcasm here..)
06-29-02 07:06 PM
Fuc*ing Andrew What a cod!
06-29-02 09:34 PM
stonedinaustralia yes riffhard, quality work...as FPM said a nice streak of truth in it
as muhammed ali said "when i want to tell i joke i tell the truth, that's the funniest joke of all" and "to the living we owe respect to the dead we owe the truth" (that's voltaire - if you if you don't know and care - but its right on and credit where its due)

as to the band continuing, well it's pete's call i guess but i don't buy the argument that its financially unstoppable...hell this is exactly the sought of thing they would have been insured against...

"you can be in my dreams if i can be in your dreams" bob dylan said that

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
06-29-02 10:06 PM
nanky I feel bad for Roger and Pete -- there are so many levels to this whole thing. Their grief must be incomprehensible -- and yet, they clearly want to tour and feel that they should for both the fans and the spirit of John -- and they are probably on the hook for it as well contractually. It must be a horrible time for them. I hope that they dig down deep and do it with all the gusto that is and was the Who -- for them and their fans.
06-29-02 11:22 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, I feel bad for Pete and Roger too. They lost a lifelong commrade-in-arms. One of the family.

BTW, Joey...

Budd Dwyer was the Treasurer of PA back in the day. Got himself convicted after getting caught with his hand in the cookie jar, so to speak. The day of his sentencing he called a press conference, supposedly to resign his office. But instead he pulled out a .44 Mag and blew his brains out on live TV. When I say blew his brains out...I mean, his brains actually splattered against the wall behind him. One of the TV crews rushed a camera up to where his body was laying, and the top of his head was completely open...and blood was still pumping out of the cerebral artery. I was watching the news that afternoon when it happened. It was snowing heavily, and I was watching to see if my afternoon classes had been cancelled.

This incident was later immortalized by the band Filter with a minor hit..."Hey Man, Nice Shot".

I was in a punk band at the time called Blastula. We had a party that night. We renamed our basement the R. Budd Dwyer Memorial Basement. I caught my girlfriend fucking some guy that night. I tossed them both out into the street...naked as the day the were born...and I told anyone that let them back inside would have to answer to me. She begged for her car keys...so I tossed them out to her...unfortunately for her there was a snowbank in the way. I don't think she got her keys back till spring.
06-30-02 08:58 AM
Keefness Sir Stones Alot-
All WHO bidness aside, you rock. I love stories of infidelity that end up righteous.

I also have a vid of the Bud incident..it made the rounds on the 'tour bus circut', aka, bands on busses watch anything & everything they can get their hands on. It's an intense & graphic moment with a nonflintching camera man. If you've ever thought of doing this, it makes ya think again. The story I heard was Bud was later found innocent of the charges. Sadly, it don't much matter now.
----------------------------------------------------------

Beatles John, George & WHO Member Entwhistle didn't have a choice. Way worse than anyone doing the 'Curt Cobain' on the crainium. No point, I guess, just random thoughts.

Y'all just enjoy Pete & Roger no matter who is stage left playing bass..one day they'll be gone too. The $$ is incidental. The emplyees that signed on, crew, wardrobe, drivers, techs & their families..as jaded as I am, I refuse to believe that Pete is continueing on as a financial motive. Might sound idealistic, but I refuse to believe that the man with things like "Tommy", "Quadrophenia", "Who's Next" and so many other intelligent and great songs in his head would have nothing on his mind but $$. I have to trust in a guy like Pete to make the right call for the financial, figuative, emotional & literal family of The WHO. 'Sides, he ain't been about that shit before, does anyone really believe Pete would change his value system so easily? Especially over the death of a friend/bandmate for 38 years. I think not.

These guys are about to go through a huge process in front of us all. Me thinks that's full of courage & way more than generous. Their reviews will say, "Good/Bad".."Harsh/Sympathy"...and it will all be 'Blah, Blah, Blah.

Ok, like this: You been wid a guy for 38 years. You make a lotta $$...He dies. But you just got dis new deal you just inked. If you carry on, is everybody gonna think you're just about the cheese? If you quit the deal, are you a spinless Puss? Is this a No Win/Twixt Me & God kinda thang or what? Viva Pete, I say. And Godspeed John Entwhistle.

ok, then..enough 'o my ramblin on...
06-30-02 04:24 PM
Sir Stonesalot I have to admit that I am mellowing from my initial horror of the continuation of the Who tour. I think I just had an initial knee jerk response resulting from saddness, shock, and disappointment.

Now that I've had some time to think about it, I'm not nearly as disgusted about the situation as I was earlier.

But I'm still not expecting much of a show. I'll go as a tribute to John.

06-30-02 04:40 PM
Joey 'BTW, Joey...

Budd Dwyer was the Treasurer of PA back in the day. Got himself convicted after getting caught with his hand in the cookie jar, so to speak. The day of his sentencing he called a press conference, supposedly to resign his office. But instead he pulled out a .44 Mag and blew his brains out on live TV. When I say blew his brains out...I mean, his brains actually splattered against the wall behind him '

Oh...........

Thanks Stoney ! By the way VH1 paid a special tribute to John Entwistle all day yesterday . I actually cried for the first time in years . Nasty !!!!!!!

Damn I am going to miss Johnny Boy .

M. Joeyfly

06-30-02 08:05 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Joey wrote:
By the way VH1 paid a special tribute to John Entwistle all day yesterday . I actually cried for the first time in years . Nasty !!!!!!!

Damn I am going to miss Johnny Boy .

M. Joeyfly

Me too, Joey. You know, it wasn't the old clips that did it. It wasn't until the footage of the Concert For NY came on that I lost it. The clips of Pete with hair and Moonie on drums, that stuff's history, too far removed to mean anything except Classic Rock. But the NY stuff - that was here and now, and tomorrow and the next day. That was a BAND that cared about what they had done and were going to do. Then the cameraman cut to a closeup of the Ox's fingers spidering over the strings, and it hit me. Just for a minute.

Tears of Rage.
06-30-02 08:26 PM
Honky Tonk Man Im sorry Joey and Fleabit, but no, i dont understand this whole crying over someone you didnt know business. He was a great musician, great guy i suppose, great band too. Its only music though. More important people then him die all the time. Im not important, but id like to think people on this board would be more upset if one of us died, then a rock musician.

Alex

[Edited by Honky Tonk Man]
06-30-02 09:07 PM
Sir Stonesalot Temple died. That was before I started posting. But they put a memorial page up in his honor. I'm betting that more than a few were affected by his untimely passage.
06-30-02 10:59 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
... i dont understand this whole crying over someone you didnt know business

[Edited by Honky Tonk Man]

Oh, it IS stupid, but it's not crying over a guy I didn't know, it's simply a little hiccup of grief over another shred of my youth going under the sod. And the extinguishing of a spark which had just flared up into a tongue of flame after smoldering for years. Tour or no, the Who are dead...I watched them trashing the stage at Monterey last night and remembered why I loved them. And that band at the Concert for NY was the same band, you could see it in the purposeful abandon they attacked the songs with. The Who were overblown and loud and posturing and great, harnessing the violence and rage and thunder and forming it into (of all things!)pop songs.

I hope Pete smashes his guitar in Hershey. That would be cathartic for both of us.
06-30-02 11:06 PM
Riffhard Yeah SirStonesalot,Temple was a very cool kid!I remember getting into great conversations with him back in the StonesWorld days.He also had a great alter ego,though he never admitted it was him,Hopkin The Ferret.He was just such a cool young guy.I remember telling him that I felt good knowing that someone his age dug the Stones.If memory serves he was only 18 in those days.

What made Temple so cool was that he was young but,he was very Stones savy.He knew many Stones facts that people twice his age were clueless about.He was always very humble too.I told him about my first Stones show in '81 at the Fox in Atlanta and he just absorbed the story.He was so into hearing other folks Stones related memories.I guess what I mean is,he always seemed genuine in his appreciation of not only The Stones,but also of his fellow fans experiences and knowledge.He was a class act.

When StonesWorld died I lost contact with many of the board members.At the time I did not have a PC.I had WebTV which shit the bed shortly thereafter.When I got a PC I did a search for Stone's message boards and found Keno's site.Then I went to IORR and found Rocks Off and saw the Temple page.Needless to say shocked and saddened.Yes he is sadly missed by me that his for sure and I'm sure by many more of the oldtimers.

Riffhard C10A
06-30-02 11:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot Can I ask you a serious question....

Was I too harsh? Should I have been more understanding, and let them get dressed before making them leave? Was it wrong to toss the guy down the last flight of stairs? Did I go too far in throwing her car keys into a snowbank...during a horrendous snow storm? Will God damn me to an eternity of torment by piping in "Indian Girl" over and over to my own private hell?

For the longest time I kept her panties hanging from the antlers of a 6 point white tail deer that I had shot senselessly when I was 15 years old.

Does this make me a bad person?

This weighs heavily on my soul. Any insight that you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
07-01-02 12:02 AM
Riffhard You were absolutly correct in throwing the bitches keys in a snow bank!I'm mean shit she was banging another guy in your place behind your back!F the bitch!We have a saying down south,"If they didn't have cooters on 'em,we would throw rocks at 'em!"A wise man once said that, "The only problem with women is they've got the market cornered on pussy."

As for the white tail deer.Well,hell son that's good eatin' and the antlers make a great place to hang panties!

I hope this helps ease your troubled mind!

"You are forgiven,forgiven,forgiven...you are forgiven!"

Riffhard C10A

PS-Ladies,the previous post was purely for the well being of a brother.No offence intended.I love you all.Thank you.
[Edited by Riffhard]
[Edited by Riffhard]
Page: 1 2

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road