ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today is the last day to submit your answers for the trivia
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Who has the oldest Stones Concert T-Shirt? Return to archive Page: 1 2
06-27-03 05:24 PM
Highwire Rob Perhaps this should be phrased: Oldest while still functional T-shirt?

I'm really curious about the prized shirts or tatters that Stones fans possess out there. I only have one, and it's not that old--Steel Wheels era '89 white T with large red tongue on front, cursive "Rolling Stones '89 in lower left, and one line: "1989 North American Tour" on back/top.

The amazing thing is that I still wear it at least once a week! It's remains in good shape after regular washings [I turn it inside-out of course]. A bit yellow under the armpits [Sorry, I realize that's Too Much Info.], so I wear an open vest over it or exert caution when summoning waiters. These were sold by the racks through Kaufmann's (May's) department stores during SW Tour, yet I never see anyone else still wearing one of these.

So what cool vintage Stones concert shirts do you still wear or have framed?

Also, the shirts that Mick wears on the present tour--the oversized tongues, the glitter, the fangs--I didn't remember seeing them for sale at the concert venue and I haven't come across them on rollingstones.com. Are they available for purchase anywhere? Thanks.

--Rob.
06-27-03 05:36 PM
stewed & Keefed I still have a blue capped sleeved tee shirt with red tongue from 1976 tour (Earls Court).
06-27-03 05:45 PM
Kjell I sell you this ones for US$ 88 plus postal fee from NZ (cheap)
All T-shirts are used and in good condition, no holes or other damage, if nothing stated
T-shirt (black) Bridges to Babylon European tour 1998,L 100% cotton, Lion front tour cities on back Blue Thunder
T-shirt (white) Steel wheels ‘89,Size 1,100% cotton, official, print all over,Brockum
T-shirt (black) Some girls,XL,100% cotton, album cover on front,Brockum
T-shirt (black) 94/95 Stones , world tour US, Can & Japan XL,100% cotton, voodoo front, cities on back Brockum
T-shirt (black) Steel wheels North american tour 1989 L 50% cotton, Steel wheels front, text on back Spring Ford
T-shirt (black) The world tour 97/98,XL,100% cotton, mick & keith on front Bull
T-shirt (black) The Rolling Stones,M,100% cotton, tounge on front Mobile
T-shirt (black),XL,100% cotton, spiketounge on both sides Rock Eagle
T-shirt (white) The Rolling Stones, Europe 1990 XL 100% cotton, official, Urban Jungle front/back
(small stain low on front) One size
T-shirt (white) The Rolling Stones, Europe 1990,M,? cotton, tounge front, Urban Jungle back
(some stain on collar) ?
T-shirt (white) Rolling Stones, North american tour 1989 S 100% cotton, small toung on front, Budweiser presents & Stones pic. on back.
(a few small stains on front) ?
[email protected]
06-27-03 05:59 PM
MarthaMyDear Now THIS is my subject!!!
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
SHOPPING!!! YEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ANYWAYS, I bet ANYONE I have the BIGEST Stones t-shirt collection online because I've been REGULARLY collecting them for quite awhile now and if I had more money, I'd have ALOT more still, so... The oldest ones I have are three 1981 ones, which isn't as old as stewed n' keefed's, but two are from the North American leg of the tour that year and I have a 1981 Tattoo You t-shirt with the tattooed pic. of Mick on the front and the tattooed pic. of Keith on the back!!! I wear that one and one of the other ones alot still but not one of the tour ones because I stupidly cut off the sleeves of them to make it like a tank top... CRAP!!!
lol........................................................
But, I actually do still wear that one now and then to do aerobics in, etc., so actually I do still wear it...
RIGHT NOW AT WORK I am wearing a bootleg Bridges To Babylon t-shirt... I used to actually do the silkscreening for a bootlegger and I THINK (?!?!?!) we made some for this tour... He ALWAYS made really good designs that looked EXACTLY or even BETTER, actually, than the official t-shirts, etc., for about $10.00 a pop but sometimes the t-shirt quality is poor on SOME bootlegged t-shirts (but if I remember correctly, he used a good brand and this one has lasted and wears just as good as official t-shirts, so... OBVIOUSLY for ALOT less...
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P )...
This is what I collect and now my collection is getting pretty large...
Ihave the Keith one (Too Tough To Die) like in the pic. that's in the trivia contest in red but it's REALLY small and that was the last one this store had before they sold-out of them and stopped carrying them, etc.... I go to this one store ALOT and they ALWAYS have Stones t-shirts there and I buy at least one every time I go there... I'm not saying where this is either as it's my secret...
I get the female baby doll types of t-shirts, mostly, and I collect Smashing Grandpa t-shirts, also, since the designer makes a good amount of Stones designs, etc.... I'll shut-up now... HE!!! HE!!!
LONG LIVE SMASHING GRANDPA which, *** I *** believe, Agent Provacateaur ripped-off, by the way!!! PEACE and ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
06-27-03 10:13 PM
LadyJane How about a white 1975 Tour of the Americas? Since I was doused with water (I considered it my second Baptism) by Sir Mick, when I got home, I took off the shirt and never wore it again. Enshrined somewhere in my Parent's attic. LOL

LadyJ.
[Edited by LadyJane]
06-27-03 10:27 PM
nankerphelge This is a neat question!

When was the earliest concert T-shirt for the Stones.

And original '75 is cool as hell!!

Did they even have them in '72 or '73?

06-27-03 10:29 PM
stonedinaustralia a friend of mine has an aust.'73 - same graphic as the tour poster
06-27-03 10:31 PM
nankerphelge SIA!

I had your avatar on a T in the early 1980s until it vanished one nite from my room!

What the hell are you up to man?
06-27-03 10:33 PM
LadyJane This reminds me of the good old Friday night drunkenchiba chats!!

Ahhhh....the memories!!

LadyJ.
06-27-03 10:39 PM
stonedinaustralia hey nanker - lady jane

what am i up to?? - work mostly - lots of nasty criminal stuff of late - with a bit of music and painting in my spare time

depths of winter here now - very wet - still working on those prints for you all from the enmore - in fact it should happen soon as i want to give one to a friend for a birthday gift in the next couple of weeks

how's the guitar playing coming along nanker??
06-27-03 10:43 PM
nankerphelge Oh SIA -- I haven't given it the attention it requires. But I keep working on it!

Yes the drunkenchibafest! One of my favorites. Started a bit early tonite thanks to egon's urging! A few Buds of both the liquid and hemp-like variety and I am having fun tonight!

06-27-03 10:52 PM
stonedinaustralia well nanker its mid-day saturday here and i'm nursing a bit of a sore head from doing exactly that last night

hopefully 'tho i should be right for a little more this evening
06-27-03 10:56 PM
nankerphelge Yeah I gotta work tomorrow morning -- gotta keep my head semi-together!!!

Have you thought about Toronto recently SIA!!!
Good way to shake the winter!!

Stones, AC/DC, Rush and.....justin timberlake...

Chiba, Chibare, Chibatus my friend!!

06-27-03 10:57 PM
LadyJane You guys are making me thirsty!!

SIA--Hard to believe it's Winter Down Under. It's FINALLY hot and sticky here...at least on the East Coast of the States.

Gotta go make a cocktail!!

LadyJ.
06-27-03 11:11 PM
stonedinaustralia i think i've missed something here - everyone keeps mentioning toronto - what exactly is going on there??
06-27-03 11:16 PM
MarthaMyDear I am sorry but *** I *** have the COOLEST t-shirt of them ALL!!!
lol...................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
And, it's NOT a Stones t-shirt, either (please don't throw anything!!!
lol...................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P )...
It is a REALLY nice bootleg John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) t-shirt I got outside of his solo show at The Palace in Hollywood around '95/'96 (?!?!?! I can't remember...
lol...................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P )
and he signed it with a black felt tip pen whilst I couldn't even open my mouth 'cause I have idolized him (and gushed over him) since I was seventeen!!!
My friend had to tell him thank you for me... HE!!! HE!!!
And, when you LOOK at the signature, I SWEAR that it almost looks like it says, "Are you a slut?" And, I actually was offended by it for a LONG period of time!!! SERIOUSLY CRACKING-UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND, NO, I'M NOT!!!
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But, that is pretty good (the '74 t-shirt)...
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*** BUT ***!!! THIS is my FORTE (sp???) and, IMHO, the concert t-shirts are OUT!!! OUT!!! OUT!!! DEFINITELY not as cool as the Smashing Grandpa designs WHICH, I AM SORRY, but the official t-shirts got some ideas from (ripped-off, basically), etc. (SHAME ON MICK AND CHARLIE!!! LAZINESS!!!) and there are some underground types of designs and bootleg t-shirts that blow the tour t-shirts away/they're the coolest, IMHO... I guess you can find those at your local vintage clothing store and/or whatever cool, underground-type of clothing store(s) is/are in your area, etc. (go for the ones who carry vintage clothes, also, possibly)... And, the Too Tough To Die Keith t-shirt RULES!!! I even bought a Mick t-shirt recently that was the same pic. that was posted as the header here not too long ago!!! CRACKING-UP!!!
It's fun... lol...................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
I'll shut-up now... HE!!! HE!!! So I don't feel the urge to shop!!!
PEACE and ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
06-28-03 06:10 AM
luxury1 yes--LadyJane!! Me too. a 1975 light blue baby tee with the eagle/plane logo . However, since i was sitting behind the stage up in the rafters for my very first Stones show, i did not have the pleasure of a Mick Baptism. I had to wait till Jan 2003 for that!!
06-29-03 12:11 AM
JaggaRichards 1972, 1975, 1978, and 1981.
But i can't fit in them anymore, so thyre wrapped in plastic.
Some 1989 ones fit, a few dont.
1994 on?
Still wearing them regulary
06-29-03 01:53 AM
Stonesthrow Apparently not the oldest, but mine is from 1981. I wore it to see them in 2003.
06-29-03 02:25 AM
MarthaMyDear I wore my favorite 1981 one to see them the second night at Dodger Stadium on the Bridges To Babylon tour and to Stonesdoug's get-together at the Rainbow Bar And Grill here in L.A. last year when they played here... It keeps getting thinner and thinner and there is alot of discoloration that looks like bleach splotches, etc., at the bottom of it, which is annoying because I LOVE that shirt... lol................................................
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P 1972?!?!?! Now THAT has to be worth a pretty penny!!! lol................................................ :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
There's a vintage clothing store here in L.A. that sells old concert t-shirts for HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS, which to me is a rip-off because anyone can just buy them on eBay!!! But, the old ones are collectors items, I think!!!
ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
06-29-03 07:51 AM
stonedinaustralia oh yeah... i have a voodoo lounge "t" - with the dudes in black and white and top hat and dress shirt

nanker i had an old jacket with a picture my avatar, "three stones charlie", on the back - like you i lost mine some where along the line

the thing was i had to make it myself
06-29-03 11:25 AM
steel driving hammer Pretty cheap too.

http://rerock4ever.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=R&Category_Code=RS
06-29-03 12:46 PM
Sir Stonesalot I bought a '62 Tshirt that was sold at the Ealing Club off of a guy on Ebay.

I know the copyright says 1999, but he said that that tag was added later on. And it has all the US dates for the No Security tour on the back. He said he put those on there as an extra bonus.

I mean, it was on Ebay so it HAS to be true.

So I win. Can't get any older than a tshirt from their very first show.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
06-29-03 01:38 PM
souldoggie Still have my 78 tour t-shirt. Brown with The Stones in script and the tongue. And a pair of official sky blue basketball trunks with script and tongue to go with it. I'd have to say the official trunks are an odd little piece of memorabilia from that odd little tour.
06-29-03 03:44 PM
Cardinal Fang
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Pretty cheap too.

http://rerock4ever.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=R&Category_Code=RS

This thread is about Stones "Concert" T-Shirts. Highwire Rob wants to know "who has the oldest Stones shirt purchased at a Stones show". The shirts he described in his example are the official ones. Typically they will say the name of the tour on the front and have the tour dates and cities played listed on the back.

The shirts at the link you provided are NOT Stones Concert T-Shirts. They are cheap knockoffs that they sell at the Mall. None of these are official Stones Concert shirts. Also out of the 25 or so shirts that they have for sale only about 2 or 3 of them actually have any cities or tours listed on them. All of these shirts are bootleg shirts and are not the kind of shirts that Highwire Rob is asking about.

I hope this helps you ?

My oldest Stones concert shirt that I still have is from the 1981 San Francisco shows. It's still in near mint condition and I can still fit into it. (barely) It's the official "Raindrops Products" tour 3/4 sleeve T-Shirt with the dragon/lips on top of the stadium on the front and on the back it has "San Francisco Oct 17 & 18th, 1981 "S O L D O U T" stamped across the bottom with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background and The Rolling Stones, J. Geils Band, George Thorogood & The Destroyers underneath. Would you believe (coincedently) that I tried it on last night and then I read this thread this right now !!

I USED to have the 1975 San Francisco Cow Palace, Bill Graham Presents shirt with the large Dice on the front.
I did NOT go to the show (I was eleven) but I had a family friend who did go to the show get me that T-shirt. When I was eleven that T-shirt was one of my most prized possessions. For the next 3 years I used to wear that shirt to school once a week. (usually on fridays). I remember this girl that I really liked in the 8th grade. She came up to me and said, "I know you really like The Rolling Stones but don't you have any other shirts ? You wear that same shirt all the time. " I said what's wrong with this shirt ? I like this shirt.

It was shortly after that when I started actually caring about what I wore and how I looked to girls. Also by that time the shirt was pretty thrashed from wearing it every week for four years. (I used to play tackle football in that shirt sometimes) Also I was a growing boy and no longer the same size I was at age 11. For the longest time I kept the shirt and I may actually still have that shirt in a box at my folks house somewhere ? (If my Mom didn't get to it first)

Did any of you experience the following with your Steel Wheels 1989 shirts ? I got the one with the US Flag with the tongues instead of stars on the front. After about the 2nd time washing it, it looks TOTALLY faded out. Almost like it was bleached or something ? This was one of the OFFICIAL shirts sold at the show for about $25. I was NOT HAPPY about such a low quality shirt being officially sold by The Stones for $25 bucks. My 1981 shirt is eight years older and has been washed way more times and it still looks brand new.

Later, Cardinal Fang
06-29-03 04:56 PM
nankerphelge You are right Fang! The '89s were lower quality -- decals never took right and the shirts themselves faded quickly.
06-29-03 11:22 PM
MarthaMyDear That doesn't count, SS!!! lol................................. It doesn't sound like the t-shirt was originally from 1962... Why would someone add something like NEWER tour dates to a collectible, vintage t-shirt that could be worth money, etc., and/or is for collecting, etc.?!?!?! Sounds like a cool shirt, though, but I'd slap that guy for adding ANYTHING to it... Should have kept off the copyright 1999!!!
lol......................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

*** Martha ***
06-30-03 12:26 AM
Sir Stonesalot Uhhhhhhhh......

MMD, I was kinda joking like sorta.

I thought the joke of "if it's on Ebay it must be true" was quite witty, clever, and worth a chortle or snigger.

I also bought Marianne's Mars Bar from the same guy. You don't think he was lying about THAT too do you?
06-30-03 12:39 AM
MarthaMyDear No, but is that the Brooklyn Bridge in your pants or are you just happy to see me?!?!?! CRACKING-UP!!! OK.!!! That's bad...
lol................................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
I was just kidding, also!!! LIGHTEN-UP!!! SHEESH!!!
lol................................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

*** Martha ***
06-30-03 11:19 AM
jb I have a genuine 1975 tour shirt.......I trust this is the oldest among this group of adolescents.
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003