ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Brian
© Retna with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: One Bob, One Love Return to archive Page: 1 2
June 25th, 2005 03:27 AM
pdog

June 25th, 2005 03:48 AM
sirmoonie Oh fuck yes, Keith Richards v. Bob Marley.
June 25th, 2005 04:09 AM
pdog
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Oh fuck yes, Keith Richards v. Bob Marley.

you inspire me, now that exodus is dome, it will be Loaded...Fully Loaded...
What next?
I love the night, Ronnie!
June 25th, 2005 02:56 PM
FPM C10 I have a buddy who I jam with from time to time who was at Bob Marley's last show, in Pittsburgh's Stanley Theater in 1980. The band knew it was their last show - they'd been told immediately before going onstage that Bob was dying and the rest of the tour had been cancelled - but the audience didn't know that. They just knew they were seeing an incredible show. To hear Bob singing "Everything's gonna be alright" in "No Woman No Cry" you'd never know it he was dying; he roared like a LION that song, and throughout the show.

Anyway we were jamming last night and I gave my buddy the boot of that show.

June 25th, 2005 03:59 PM
Gazza
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I have a buddy who I jam with from time to time who was at Bob Marley's last show, in Pittsburgh's Stanley Theater in 1980. The band knew it was their last show - they'd been told immediately before going onstage that Bob was dying and the rest of the tour had been cancelled - but the audience didn't know that. They just knew they were seeing an incredible show. To hear Bob singing "Everything's gonna be alright" in "No Woman No Cry" you'd never know it he was dying; he roared like a LION that song, and throughout the show.

Anyway we were jamming last night and I gave my buddy the boot of that show.

would have loved to have seen him in concert. Was just transferring the London Rainbow gig from video to DVD the other night. What a show that was.

A friend of mine who has been a lifelong fan saw him at the Zimbabwe Independence Concert in Harare in 1980. You can imagine what a thrill that must have been. She was quite pleased when I managed to find a bootleg of THAT one for her!
June 25th, 2005 07:29 PM
jb Sadly, his melanoma spread from his toe to his brain. He died down here ....his Mother still resides in South Miami...
Skin cancer can be cured/treated with early screening....however, once melonoma spreads, it is a very aggressive form of cancer and does not respond well to chemo(see Maureen Reagan). I have Bob Marley' greatest hits, and I particularly like "Redemption Song".
[Edited by jb]
June 25th, 2005 08:11 PM
sirmoonie Very ironic that a black man, with a dark complexion like Robert Nesta Marley, would die of melanoma. I remember hearing the news in 10th grade history class and wanting to kill the skee-fuck that said "Who is Bob Marley?" Bob Marley made an impact on me very early.

Its reggae week at www.maxlugar.com, by the way. Everyone is invited. Even piss geeks. There will be reggae music, black people, marijuana, root skanks, Bujulah juice, multi-colored berets, bunko idiots singing the praises of Haile Selassie, Red Stripe, Haitian condoms, frat boys trying to dance to Legend, pretty much everything needed for a good reggae party. Rita and Ziggy may make cameos. RSVP by Sunday night.
June 25th, 2005 08:36 PM
chevysales 1974 (late) gusman hall (on university of miami campus-florida) mesmerizing show! Place only seats like under 3,000 at the time. If I remember correctly this was rite before/after? the burnin' album was released.

1975? diplomat hotel hollywood, florida played to national organization of record manufactures and radio station execs while we drank tia maria's compliments of the radio station owners. i worked with a guy whose dad owned WSHE which was the rock station of fort lauderdale, florida before ZETA4 took over the airwaves.
The entire band literally rocked the house which was full of stiff shirts and pretty girls. Only time I saw them play with the "ithree".

of course clapton's "461 ocean boulevard" (golden beach, florida) album helped marleys sales early 70's at least in the south and i would venture to guess elsewhere as it opened up a new market for marley

[Edited by chevysales]
June 25th, 2005 09:34 PM
jb
quote:
chevysales wrote:
1974 (late) gusman hall (on university of miami campus-florida) mesmerizing show! Place only seats like under 3,000 at the time. If I remember correctly this was rite before/after? the burnin' album was released.

1975? diplomat hotel hollywood, florida played to national organization of record manufactures and radio station execs while we drank tia maria's compliments of the radio station owners. i worked with a guy whose dad owned WSHE which was the rock staion of fort lauderdale, florida before ZETA4 took over the airwaves.
The entire band literally rocked the house which was full of stiff shirts and pretty girls. Only time I saw them play with the "ithree".

We grew up at the same time down here....Gusman hall was great. Remeber Pirates World?

of course clapton's "461 ocean boulevard" (golden beach, florida) album helped marleys sales early 70's at least in the south and i would venture to guess elsewhere as it opened up a new market for marley

[Edited by chevysales]

[Edited by jb]
June 25th, 2005 09:47 PM
chevysales yea pirates world i saw humble pie there.

and mickey rats in hallandale (saw the police there before they died their hair for a commercial coke or pepsi?) and they were playing with rented equipment.

my eldest daughter just graduated U of M (the U!) and my youngest starts in sept.

my wife (biggest mistake of my life meeting a girl from connecticut and agreeing to a summer up here in 89...the longest summer of my life, 16 years long!).

i will be in lauderdale first 2 weeks in july so stop the rain will ya so i can work on my tan.

oh and not to worry saban will turn this thing around.

but will shaq speak on this vangundy thing or what? admit it or quash it now.
[Edited by chevysales]
June 25th, 2005 09:53 PM
jb I said hello to Dan at the Heat/Pistons game 7...he looks great. Very disappointing to lose , but thankfully the thugs got beat by San Antonio.
Not much local stuff about Riley rumor..Winderman said the same thing, that it needed to be quashed immediately in fairness to Van Gundy. I think Riles has the juices flowing again, and seeing Zen Phil sign for 10 million probably raised his larger than life ego(met him at severak heat functions and a total dick), but I beleieve Stan will be back, w/out Riley.
Saban, hopefully, will be like a young Shula and get this underachieving team to greatness again. What Jimmy and Dave did to this team was unconscionabl..from fucking over Marion to some of the most inept draft picks ever.....sad, sad , sad..
As a UM law School grade, we all know "it's a canes thing"...
[Edited by jb]
June 25th, 2005 10:00 PM
scratched
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Its reggae week at www.maxlugar.com, by the way. Everyone is invited. Even piss geeks. There will be reggae music, black people, marijuana, root skanks, Bujulah juice, multi-colored berets, bunko idiots singing the praises of Haile Selassie, Red Stripe, Haitian condoms, frat boys trying to dance to Legend, pretty much everything needed for a good reggae party. Rita and Ziggy may make cameos. RSVP by Sunday night.

I'm up for a reggae party and Haitian condoms but what the fuck is a 'piss geek'?
June 25th, 2005 10:06 PM
Bloozehound I wondered that myself, I'm thinking it might be secret slang for someone who's on the recieving end of a golden shower, like a piss gimp, like psssst! Hey, bring out the gimp. No, he's sleeping! we'll wake him up then! ~ that kinda gimpy stuff
June 25th, 2005 10:15 PM
scratched I am feeling your interpretation.
June 27th, 2005 09:55 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I heard a story that a well know British DJ killed Bob Marley.
Apparently he was over here in the UK playing football in a celebrity football tournament when Danny Baker trod on his toe. Doctors thought that he had broken it. However when they examined him and x rayed him and so on, they found the cancer.

Danny Baker killed Bob Marley
June 27th, 2005 10:33 AM
Gazza LOL

Much as it'd be nice to pin it on Danny Baker, was he a DJ as far back as 1980?

Marley's cancer was detected after a toe injury sustained while playing football, though - thats true
June 27th, 2005 10:36 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Do some research mate. I promise you this is true. I have told hundreds of people this story and none of them believe me.
I would love it if you could prove it for me!
June 28th, 2005 08:48 AM
gimmekeef Marley is one artist that I personally enjoy even more as the years pass.Dylan is similar in that regard.Is there a boot available from that last Pittsburgh show.Id treasure it..Thanks
June 28th, 2005 09:02 AM
FPM C10
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Marley is one artist that I personally enjoy even more as the years pass.Dylan is similar in that regard.Is there a boot available from that last Pittsburgh show.Id treasure it..Thanks

You have PM, mon!
June 28th, 2005 10:08 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Despite his commitment to music, Marley still put aside time to take part in his favourite sport. When on the road, it became common practice to take part in friendly challenge matches, often against an assortment of music journalists or record label teams.

It was while playing in one such match that Bob injured his toe, and cancer was subsequently discovered in the wound. Danny Baker, a well known English football pundit and TV and radio presenter, has often stated that he trod on Marley's foot in a game at Battersea Park in 1977, leading to the disease in Marley's body, and his subsequent death.

I quoted this from an article I found called "Rasta and the ball"
Went on www.ask.co.uk and searched Danny Baker+Bob Marley. See for yourself

June 28th, 2005 10:52 AM
Gazza It's bollocks, apparently, according to the same story, if you look at it a bit further.

Marley collapsed jogging in Central Park when in New York for a show in 1980. He was diagnosed as having a brain tumour and on examination it was found he was riddled with cancer.

Despite his commitment to music, Marley still put aside time to take part in his favourite sport. When on the road, it became common practice to take part in friendly challenge matches, often against an assortment of music journalists or record label teams.

It was while playing in one such match that Bob injured his toe, and cancer was subsequently discovered in the wound. Danny Baker, a well known English football pundit and TV and radio presenter, has often stated that he trod on Marley's foot in a game at Battersea Park in 1977, leading to the disease in Marley's body, and his subsequent death.

Like many of the tales told about Bob's passing, this is complete nonsenese. When Marley injured his toe, the cancer was already present in his body. This anecdote can be safely filed away with the claims of Bob being injected with cancer by those who would benefit from his death, or the claims that he was "assasinated" by American intelligence forces (who bombarded him with radiation etc.) , under the heading "Complete Fantasy"

It should be noted, Baker always tells the story in his inimitable, humorous manner. He also says that the Wailers team were the best he has ever seen!

Edited from this article here :
http://www.hilltop61.freeserve.co.uk/bob/theball.html

[Edited by Gazza]
June 28th, 2005 10:55 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Hey. I almost got something right there til you spoilled it!

BAKER KILLED MARLEY
BAKER KILLED MARLEY
BAKER KILLED MARLEY
June 28th, 2005 10:55 AM
Gazza

MURDERING BASTARD!!
June 28th, 2005 09:40 PM
jb Being from Miami, I am a little more familiar with the Jaimaican community than most of you............I have also traveled there on several occassions. I know what the movement is all about and what he stood for.......
June 28th, 2005 10:31 PM
Soldatti Marley was a great icon, I don't like the reggae so much but I like some of Bob's songs.
Get Up, Stand Up is the perfect reggae tune.
June 29th, 2005 02:54 AM
Child of the Moon
June 29th, 2005 04:52 AM
Zack
quote:
jb wrote:
Being from Miami, I am a little more familiar with the Jaimaican community than most of you............I have also traveled there on several occassions. I know what the movement is all about and what he stood for.......

What does it stand for then? I am sure you spend lots of time in the Jamaican neighborhoods of Miami, and had lots of contact with the local rastas at Club Med in Negril.

COTM, what's with the pic of Weir? He ever do a Marley cover?
June 29th, 2005 10:50 AM
jb
quote:
Zack wrote:

What does it stand for then? I am sure you spend lots of time in the Jamaican neighborhoods of Miami, and had lots of contact with the local rastas at Club Med in Negril.

COTM, what's with the pic of Weir? He ever do a Marley cover?

Weir, unlike other members of the Dead, is a dick ....Yes Zack, I have been to Negril, Ochos Rios , Kingston, Montego Bay etc....Bob's mother has lived in Kendall Florida for over 20 yrs......I am not an expert on the rastafarian movement, but I have seen it up close...
[Edited by jb]
June 29th, 2005 11:24 AM
jb http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haile_Selassie
June 29th, 2005 11:41 AM
gimmekeef Hey Child of the Moon..isnt that apic of Bob Weir of the Dead??
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)