ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
RIP Brian
Đ Retna with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hoolywood Album Listening Party? Return to archive Page: 1 2
June 28th, 2005 04:20 PM
mmdog
I hope the album is out before the tour starts. Voodoo Lounge came out 2 weeks before the tour started. Because of that The Stones had the confidence to play 7 songs from it on opening night. I didn't see a show until 7-8 weeks into the tour, but they still played 5 songs from the album. Bridges came out after the tour started. They atarted out playing 2 new songs, and it took them a while to work up to 4-5 a night. I wanna hear the new songs live. It helps keep the setlist fresh, and it's a twist from the Licks tour, which didn't have new songs aside from Don't Stop.
June 28th, 2005 10:07 PM
Soldatti If we get luck the album will be comming on Aug. 22, but I'm sure that it will be leaked on internet in early August.
June 29th, 2005 06:15 PM
Back Street Girl
www.stonesvikings.com

I was unable to get hold of Ove, so I got info from another source due to some detective work who was present, so here it goes:

11 raw mixes out of 18 recorded tracks were played.
With raw mixes it is meant there is some additional mixing to do. It was not said if all 18 tracks would be on the album. If I heard correctly, there might be some more songs recorded.

No Chuck, Darryl on only a few numbers, bass being handled by Mick and Keith. Plenty of harmonica, slide and maracas (spelling?).
No hornsection heard at all, no backupsingers. This might change of course, but letīs hope not.

ONNYA different from the liveversion, itīs said it was not finished when they played it live. Absolutely no material from the 40 LICKS sessions. 2 ballads, one Mick, one Keith, the rest rockers except 1 funky song in the style of Dance.pt1/Miss You.
1 political song, as it seemed aimed at the Bushadministration but donīt take my word for it.

The motto, it was said for these recordingsessions, was that it was to be "A bandrecord, the four of them".
As for the albumtitle, it was said that it might be one of those circulated on the net, then it might not be, so no answer to that question really.

No Stone present, as they all seem to be in the US right now. A bandrepresentative was MC at the listening party. All participants had to sign a contract of secrecy.

I hope to get some additional info, but right now, all participants are bound by their contract, and no Ove in sight, but he would not be able to tell me more at this point, .

As for the releasedate first half of September still stands until further notice.
June 29th, 2005 06:22 PM
Some Guy Now you got my attention!
June 29th, 2005 07:22 PM
Soldatti 18 tracks?
Why not 2 more and we get a double album?
June 29th, 2005 07:35 PM
Mel Belli I bet -- I hope -- they pare it down from 18.
June 29th, 2005 08:16 PM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
18 tracks?
Why not 2 more and we get a double album?

18 tracks is probably the number of finished tracks on the 'shortlist'. they'll probably end up ditching some or using them as b-sides.

sounds interesting on many levels although I'm a bit bewildered at the reported lack of keyboards - unless some of the Stones themselves are tinkling the ivories

Disappointing if the release date is as late as September. Bad move, and sloppy planning there.

[Edited by Gazza]
June 29th, 2005 08:27 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Now you got my attention!

you got mine too...waw, this is pretty exiting..hope the final mixing will not include much shit like sloppy backvox or too much keyboard like on "goddess"
thanks for the link, i can wait one more month if the result is orgasmic
June 29th, 2005 08:33 PM
Madafaka Thank you very much!
June 29th, 2005 09:16 PM
quackenbush I hope they toss the political one.
June 29th, 2005 09:23 PM
Nellcote In the words of Cowboy Troy....
Gityousomeofthat!
June 29th, 2005 10:29 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
quackenbush wrote:
I hope they toss the political one.

If it sucks, I agree. Nevertheless, "Undercover Of The Night" was pretty good, IMO; J. J. Cale's "The Trouble (is the man in charge)" was excellent; R.E.M.'s "The Final Straw" (about Bush, some people say) wasn't so bad. I think it depends on the adequateness of the music and the performance.

"Highwire" wasn't too hot; "Indian Girl" was gross (yet funny); and I guess that "Rock And A Hard Place" could be considered a political song, and it was a decent rocker. Come to think of it, it was one of the better songs off SW. The thing is, I don't care too much about the lyrics (unless Jagger comes with something utterly dumb or pretentious) as long as the music is fine.
June 30th, 2005 12:03 AM
PeerQueer I think you're 18 tracks info. is spot on! A few will be utilized as B-sides for singles releases, a couple will be likely tossed, with the album itself consisting of 12 or 13 tracks.

I'm not saying anymore than that though, as my "I hear good things" post got me in all kinds of trouble with my L.A. friend who works at the Virgin offices. They left quite a terse email message regarding my post and now they won't tell me anything!

(But that just makes me think something is about to break real soon - yeah baby! And, it confirms that some folks, at least in this case, who are on the inside of the biz, do peruse music boards like this from time to time. Maybe all the complaining about Chuck's fucking piano will pay off! God let us hope so.)
June 30th, 2005 12:14 AM
MrPleasant Sounds enticing. What about high ticket prices?
June 30th, 2005 12:30 AM
texile undercover is exellent and indian girl is a missunderstood gem.
but its all subjective mr. pleasant...

agree - if its pretentious or cheesy, forget it...
but if it righteously kicks somebody's ass (bush?)- then it kicks ass and i will welcome the return of some great jagger political observation.
June 30th, 2005 06:29 AM
corgi37 Highwire was pure genius. And very apt for the times, and now i guess.

Trouble was, people just didnt want to hear it.

The facts, i mean.
June 30th, 2005 06:34 AM
Poplar
such a good thread ... tainted ...
June 30th, 2005 08:51 AM
Bitch Will the announcement for the CD release be July 4th? That's only a few days away. They must know how many tracts - 18 sounds good to me. They will hopefully release it by the time the tour starts so we can learn the songs.

On the B2B tour OUT OF CONTROL & SAINT OF ME were so much BETTER live than on the CD, you appreciate the STONES playing the new songs live. The songs actually come alive!! Let's hope for alot of the new songs ON STAGE, as we are so familiar with the old "war horses" the new fresh material makes it much, more exciting.
June 30th, 2005 07:58 PM
gotdablouse Wow, it looks like we're going to get some sloppy playing on there, great !

I'm not surprised that Chuck was uninvited, they only drag him in for the tour so that they can slack off and forget lines and licks, but It's pretty obivous they despise the guy. Pretty much the same goes for Darryl, his playing is so uninteresting that there's no point gettng him for the studio.

The real novelty here would be Mick on bass ! I don't think he's ever been credited with bass playing on an album before.

Now WHO recorded that listening party ?! Which reminds me, did that Ronnie show ever get circulated ?
June 30th, 2005 10:06 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
The real novelty here would be Mick on bass ! I don't think he's ever been credited with bass playing on an album before.

You're right, he never got a credit for bass even in his solo records.
July 1st, 2005 04:43 AM
Bloozehound my fan boy enthusiasm says "wow! could this be true" but my gut instict tells me to beware of false prophets and pre-album/tour bullshit

guess we'll find out shortly

nice to hear that they got wise to ONNYA, but it's gonna need a major overhaul to redeem it, especially in the lyrics dept.
July 1st, 2005 05:07 AM
Mickijaggeroo I reject being called a false prophet.
I am not known to be a liar, and I donīt fuck around with Nordic Stones Vikings reputation.
July 1st, 2005 05:34 AM
Bloozehound I didn't say anyone was "lying" about anything, just sayin I'll wait to hear it on my own before I make up my mind if this new albums *snap fingers* all that girlfriend
July 1st, 2005 05:38 AM
Dutch Michael D.
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Wow, it looks like we're going to get some sloppy playing on there, great !

I'm not surprised that Chuck was uninvited, they only drag him in for the tour so that they can slack off and forget lines and licks, but It's pretty obivous they despise the guy. Pretty much the same goes for Darryl, his playing is so uninteresting that there's no point gettng him for the studio.

you don';t know what you're talking about sir, Darryl's bass playing is very interesting! we are talking about the best mucicians(?) alive man! the Stones didn't choose these guys for nothing, you know what i mean?? so... cut the crap will ya !!!

this is gonna be a great new fresh Stones Album !!!

[Edited by Dutch Michael D.]
[Edited by Dutch Michael D.]
July 1st, 2005 06:48 AM
Gazza Of course Chuck Leavell is on the album. Apparently he spent a week in the studio adding parts to it
July 1st, 2005 08:10 AM
Schleisher Bring back Mac!
July 1st, 2005 08:11 AM
gotdablouse
quote:
You don';t know what you're talking about sir, Darryl's bass playing is very interesting! we are talking about the best mucicians(?) alive man! the Stones didn't choose these guys for nothing, you know what i mean?? so... cut the crap will ya !!!

Well that's my opinion and you are certainly entitled to have yours, I (and a few others here) happen to think that, unlike Bill's (just listen to the 1981 tour tapes), Darryl's bass playing is boring, whether he's the "best bass player alive" does not having any bearing with this, right ?

As for Chuck I don't believe he was invited for the B2B sessions so that wouldn't be a first if he missed out on this one too...here's hoping !
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)