ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pre Rolling Stones - May 1962
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Steel Wheels Wonderful! Return to archive Page: 1 2
06-25-03 07:21 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Flashpoint wrote:
...someone could explain me what they mean by saying it was overproduced?...

Well, I'm no expert, but I would suppose they mean that it sounds like a band trying to make a record that sounds like the Stones like "we want to hear them", rather than what they wanted to play, or what they happened to play because that was what they were feeling at the time. They may mean that the songs sound like they are written by a Rolling Stones computer program and that the lyrics have no real life, wit or feeling. They may feel disappointment that they only laugh out loud one time when they listen to this album (when Keith says "That's just too deep for me, baby!").

They also mean that very little about the record makes you want to get up and shake your wango tango like you have to when you hear, say, Carol. Or Had It With You. This is also why they consider it one of the Rolling Stones' worst real studio albums (in the bottom, oh, two), with only "Can't Be Seen" and the attendant b-sides ("Fancy Man" and "Cook Cook") really causing any impact on the cerebro-musico cortext of the concerned listener.

Or at least that's my best guess.

They do agree that Keith solos pretty well on the album and love them feedback bends he keeps pullin' out on the subsequent tour, and they love the shit out of Jagger's harmonica sound on Break the Spell (and Fancyman), and they might like "Slipping Away" in the 2002/3/4 tour because it makes so much contextual sense.

Or so I would suppose.

They may also have some issues with the drum sound, although not the drums themselves, but considering that they may love Dirty Work, they've learned to listen past drum sounds to get to the heart of this record.

Which they might feel this record does not have.

06-25-03 07:36 PM
sirfito In my opinion Steel Wheels it's a great album. More: a classic album, really.
Very strong, with a lot of excellents songs.
All the best,
Fito
06-25-03 07:37 PM
T&A Hey, it's all just personal opinion and preferences - no rights or wrongs here.

The only songs I can even listen to anymore are Break the Spell (sounds like an exile outtake) and Almost Hear You Sigh (a Talk is Cheap leftover). The rest sound forced, contrived, desperate and ultimately leave me cold and wanting to race for the stop/eject button so I can put on a real Stones album. Keith solos? Fine - but we don't like the Stones because of KR's solo prowess. Continental Drift seemed like a fine idea at the time, but it sounds comical and dated now.

I cannot imagine a need to ever spin SW again, frankly given the limitations of time and the amount of quality music (Stones and otherwise) to listen to..
06-25-03 10:09 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Joey wrote:
" However . . . out of my deep respect for the good people here who love it, I will give it a number of listens over the next few days. Maybe it's just me and I'll dig it in hindsight! "

my sentiments exactly. that album soured me on the band for a very long time. I think it sucks, however as Joey said above, I will give it a few more listens, and see if it does anything new for me...

slipping away has grown on me, but I'll take the Budokan version over the studio cut anyday. the others mostly suck, although the last few are alright...

I remember it was such a letdown, because the winos rocked, and mick's solo stuff sucked, too (at least the singles), and I was really hoping Keith was going to lead these guys someplace new. Instead I got polka dots and rock in a hard place. I wrote them off until I heard love is strong on the radio...
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003