ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pre Rolling Stones - May 1962
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Steel Wheels Wonderful! Return to archive Page: 1 2
06-24-03 06:01 PM
Prodigal Son I put it off for a while because I was unsure of reviews. But a few positive ones convinced me to finally buy a Stones album from the last 20 years (I burned Undercover), Steel Wheels. I have to say it is great. Surely, it stands close to Tattoo You in terms of their best 80s albums. Hell, I like it even more than some early albums. "Sad Sad Sad," "Mixed Emotions," "Hold on to Your Hat," "Blinded by Love," "Rock and a Hard Place," "Almost Hear you Sigh," "Slipping Away"-they're the cream of the crop. Hell, this has now become my 10th favourite Stones album, in between #11 It's Only Rock n' Roll and #9 Black & Blue!
06-24-03 06:05 PM
Joey " Steel Wheels " is a Classic Disc .

" Almost Hear You Sigh " is on a par with " Angie "

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJACK
The Y !

JACKY !
06-24-03 06:46 PM
T&A glad you like it. Personally, for me it's just one notch above Dirty Work as their worst album. Awful production and "forced" songs - they come off as desperate to sound like the Stones rather than just be the Stones.....
06-24-03 07:28 PM
nankerphelge They will be performing Steel Wheels in its entirety on the B stage in Toronto!!!
06-24-03 07:37 PM
steel driving hammer Your just NOW listening to Steel Wheels???

What bad reviews???

Thats a 5 Star album.

Nothing left to say now...
06-24-03 10:42 PM
BILL PERKS DEFINITELY THE WORST ALBUM COVER BUT IT'S GREAT...I LOVED IT WHEN I FIRST HEARD IT,AND I LOVE IT TODAY.BRINGS ME BACK TO THE EXCITEMENT OF LATE SUMMER OF 89.THE BUILDUP TO THAT TOUR WAS ONE OF MY FONDEST MEMORIES.THE ONLY SONG I DONT LIKE IS HEARTS FOR SALE...VOODOO IS ALSO OUTSTANDING.DONT COMPARE THEM TO BANQUET,EXILE ETC.THEY WERE GREAT ALBUMS IN THAT TIME AND PLACE.TO ME,THE ONLY CLUNKER THEY'VE DONE IS EMOTIONAL RESCUE.AND THAT AINT THAT BAD.
06-24-03 11:05 PM
full moon I always loved Steel Wheels.... Great album.......
06-25-03 04:29 AM
dealer squealing It�s one of theyre best 80�s albums and in my opinion better than VL and BTB. I do not agree that they were trying to be like the Stones, it WAS the Stones, on VL they were more trying to be like the Stones and also had lost they�re great (as a player ) bassist.
Steel Wheels is a classic!
06-25-03 06:37 AM
Honky Tonk Man Well im glad you are digging it Prodigal Son. I think its the best Stones album of the last 20 years. Not quite as good as Tattoo You, but a million miles better than say Undercover, Dirty Work or evan Bridges To Babylon.

Its prety much one classic after another. It has two of Keiths very best songs and "Sad Sad Sad2" is an awsome opener.

Damn, Keiths guitar was really hot on that album, what happend?

Alex
06-25-03 09:44 AM
Joey " glad you like it. Personally, for me it's just one notch above Dirty Work as their worst album. Awful production and "forced" songs - they come off as desperate to sound like the Stones rather than just be the Stones..... "

< ------ WTF ?!?!?!?!?

Calm down little buddy , let me handle this one .

Forced songs ?!?!?!?!

FORCED SONGS ?!?!?!?! Who's you kidding ?????? " Steel Wheels " was the bands' comeback album and even landed them on the cover of Time Magazine . The disc is a classic with some of the most heartfelt tracks and inchoate longing material I personally I have EVER witnessed .

And the ' 89 tour itself was pure joy -- especially coming on the heels of THE WHO Tour that summer . I still consider 1989 a glorious year for the U.S.A. due to the joy those bands gave to so many of us .

" Raised in the bogs of New Jersey Ronnie "

M. Jackyfly !

06-25-03 09:47 AM
Soul Survivor I give Steel Wheels 3.5 stars out of 5. Sad Sad Sad, Mixed Emotions, Blinded By Love, Hold Onto Your Hat, Rock And A Hard Place, Can't Be Seen, Almost Hear You Sigh, Slipping away. Those are all good. But I look at the other 4 songs as filler. The album had a dirty distorted guitar sound, and Keith soloed on them like he never will again. Great album
06-25-03 09:59 AM
David
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
...(I burned Undercover)....

I'm not quite sure what this means. You burned a CD? or you put it on the campfire?
[Edited by David]
06-25-03 10:00 AM
Soul Survivor he means he burned the CD. Ya know, put a blank cd in his computer and put the songs on the CD. Wow, its actually pretty hard to explain what burning CD's is
06-25-03 10:02 AM
steel driving hammer
quote:
David wrote:
I'm not quite sure what this means. You burned a CD? or you put it on the campfire?
[Edited by David]

LOL!!
06-25-03 10:14 AM
egon i have it on the shelf...

it's right next to dirty work!

06-25-03 10:15 AM
Factory Girl Lol, Soulie-how about that burning thingy, yeah? Check your PM.

Steel Wheels-is a very good album. Mixed Emotions was a great single and "Almost Hear you sigh" is a sexy beauty of a ballad.
06-25-03 10:16 AM
nankerphelge Thanks egon -- I needed a good laugh this morning!!
06-25-03 10:31 AM
Joey " have it on the shelf...

it's right next to dirty work! "

You make Joey very sad .
06-25-03 10:49 AM
Nasty Habits Dirty Work spits on Steel Wheels and makes it run home to its mommy, telling her that the big mean tougher nastier eviller bully down the street pulled its pants down, pushed it in a mud puddle and kicked it in the nuts again."

Max Lugar memorial Dirty Work defense #12 & 35!

Nasty!

06-25-03 12:21 PM
Beatle Neil Er.....no, 'Steel wheels' runs over 'Dirty work' and reverses over it 9 times before it rolls back into the gutter it came from.
06-25-03 12:34 PM
McQueen Gentlemen, the good news is the newest release shall kick both in the nuts. Ya want some Keith solo licks? Ya gots em!

06-25-03 01:42 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
McQueen wrote:
Gentlemen, the good news is the newest release shall kick both in the nuts. Ya want some Keith solo licks? Ya gots em!

Let's hear the proof. If this phantom new release has half of the feral intensity or rock and roll explosiveness of Dirty Work then the landscape of music will shake and tremble in fear and awe as the Rolling Stones declare war on politesse.

06-25-03 02:02 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Ugg.

Steel Wheels, no good. It sounds terribly terribly forced for about 90% of the time.

I think "Almost Hear You Sigh" is the slickest most overproduced trash to come out of the Stones catalogue since... ever. Belongs on a Mick solo album. "Rock And A Hard Place" is trashy 80s pop-rock.

Really only two good songs on the album, "Sad Sad Sad" and "Hold On To Your Hat". "Mixed Emotions" is ok as well.

Still, just my opinion. I also hold Bridges in higher regard than VL, which seems to be the minority opinion these days!

And McQueen, whachoo talkin' about?

-tSYX --- I can almost hear you sigh, almost hear you cry...

[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]
06-25-03 02:14 PM
luridchief I've loved the Stones since 1978, but I've never liked STEEL WHEELS. I'll take UNDERCOVER, BRIDGES and even (gasp!) DIRTY WORK over it any day. For some reason, I never even played it that much--first time that ever happened with a Stones album.

However . . . out of my deep respect for the good people here who love it, I will give it a number of listens over the next few days. Maybe it's just me and I'll dig it in hindsight!
06-25-03 02:34 PM
Joey " However . . . out of my deep respect for the good people here who love it, I will give it a number of listens over the next few days. Maybe it's just me and I'll dig it in hindsight! "

You are much loved by the Jacky !
06-25-03 03:13 PM
gypsy Hey, egon, that Nolte pic reminds me that I saw Nolte on some tabloid show last week. He looked really good and clean-cut. He told the interviewer that his mad scientist character in the "Hulk" movie looks "not unlike my mugshot photo."
06-25-03 03:16 PM
nankerphelge What a classic!
The hair!
The expression!
But most of all -- the shirt!!
06-25-03 05:50 PM
steel driving hammer "I think "Almost Hear You Sigh" is the slickest most overproduced trash to come out of the Stones catalogue since... ever."

You gotta be pulling my chicken!!

That song is Strong, Sambaish, Sad, Spanish, Stimulative, Stressfree yet Suspicious, Supernatural, Strident, Sensual, Suave, Sublime, Surely Suggestive, Swaggerful, and to Summarize, Sweepingly Satisfying...
06-25-03 06:17 PM
Flashpoint Steel Wheels is clearly a great album, but i can't understand why some people who don't like it (which could perfectly happen)denigrates it saying is one of their worts albums, putting near to Dirty Work....that i can not let happen.
Dirty work is not even a record, it has 2 or at least 3 decent song (One Hit, Winning Ugly, Dirty Work)and that's it and it has 2 afwul songs from Keith...that tells you what happened in that record
Steel Wheels sounds like the Stones we want and i don't get that 'forced' and 'trying to sound like the stones' cliche....what do you mean?...Sad Sad Sad and Terrifying have the classic Keith riff that you hear in Start Me Up and Mixed Emotions was their best single since that song.Then we have those gems....Slipping Away and Almost Hear You Sigh...the only ones i don't like are Break The Spell and Continental Drift(i liked for opening the concerts though)
One more thing...someone could explain me what they mean by saying it was overproduced?...
06-25-03 06:20 PM
Flashpoint Oh!..one thing i forgot...i'm with you Joey a 100%
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003