ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

NME Poll Winners Awards, Wembley Empire Pool, April 11, 1965
© The Associated Newspapers Archives
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: (msc) dylantour 1984 Return to archive Page: 1 2
1st June 2004 10:00 PM
mac_daddy twenty years ago, dylan did one of his finest tours - with none other than Mick Taylor on guitar and Mac on keyboards...

A fine fellow I know is seeding each and every one of these, on the 20th anniversary of each performance...

I know there are a few dylan afficianados(sp)/collectors on this board. I would love to discuss these sources with you (and anyone else) in this thread, and maybe spread some of them around in the process. Some of you collectors might even have some tastier sources than the ones being offerred - this seeder's stuff is always top-notch - but you never know. Anyway, I figured that since this is going to be a summer project of mine, I would love to have an ongoing dialogue about it with some of you Stones fans, who also have apenchant for dylan...

thanks, in advance, for any and all interest and response.

1st June 2004 10:12 PM
PolkSalad my hard drive can't handle this, I'm afraid to look if he put a show up today
1st June 2004 10:39 PM
mac_daddy no show today...
1st June 2004 11:04 PM
mac_daddy so far...

05/28/84
Arena Di Verona
Verona, Italy
(tour opener)
OK sound / not so great performance

05/29/84 (Second Show of the Tour)
Arena Di Verona
Verona, Italy
--- hanen't listened to it yet ---
(not my notes)
This is the second show of the 1984 tour and I am putting it up on STG 20 years to the
day after it actually happened. This show shows the band getting it together a little better
than the previous evening. Dylan did not rehearse with this band very much before the
tour started and when they did rehearse Dylan for the most part did NOT go over the songs that
would be played on the tour. He would work on songs that he never intended on playing
live and left the band wondering what songs would be played at the show. This happened even
during the tour, as Dylan would go into a song the band had never heard and they would
just have to go along for the ride. So what happened? The tour starts out a little rough
but which each successive date the band gets better and better. Right now is the 20th
Anniversary of those shows and I thought it would be cool to release each show to STG
on the date of the actual show plus 20 years. They are tweaking the setlist on this one to
what would become the general setlist for later dates and as usual is has some gems. So,
here is the second show and we'll see if I can keep up with the rest of the tour. Enjoy.

BTW, These shows really highlight how BAD Santana was, playing in the wrong key, at
the wrong time and playing a part which did NOT fit into the song. What was Bob
thinking with this guy?

and

05/31/84 (Third Show of the Tour)
Withelm-Koch-Stadion
Hamburg, West Germany
---listening now

(not my notes)
his show shows the band getting it together a little better
than the previous two evenings. Dylan is singing better and seems to be more
comfortable with the band and the band is tighter. Mick Taylor is becoming more
comfortable with the songs after being fired by Dylan the night before the tour started
and then reinstated the day of the first Verona show he may have been pissed and not
even tried to give anything to the music during the first few dates. This changes however
and Taylor on this tour played some of the best guitar of his life. "Maggies Farm" has
replaced "Enough is Enough" from the previous concert which will become the place in
the setlist where it would remain.
2nd June 2004 05:31 AM
Gazza I think theres 27 shows on this tour, from Verona 28/5/84 to Slane Castle in Ireland on 8/7/84. I was at two of the last 3 shows (Newcastle and Slane) and they were my first ever Dylan concerts.

I've most of the shows, albeit only on tape or vinyl. Each show is in circulation and theres a few soundboards/broadcasts. I got most of my recordings around 1984-85 so its probable that theres upgrades of many of them since then.

I think one of the Rome shows is available as a complete soundboard, plus about half of the Paris show (70 mins), 50 minutes of Slane and a compilation of Paris/Newcastle and Slane which was taped for the live album, "Real Live" (which eventually used recordings from Wembley, Newcastle and Slane). A few songs from Verona, Offenbach and Barcelona were broadcast in full on local radio or TV stations. Theres also a pro-shot of about 40 mins at the end of the Wembley show taken from unbroadcast MTV footage and preceded by a 20 minute interview with Bob backstage by Martha Quinn. The old goat is blatantly flirting with her too.

The best show of the entire tour - and one of Dylan's best shows of the 80's - is undoubtedly the one from Barcelona on 28th June. Generally the shows got better as the tour progressed and the band got tighter, with Paris (including a wonderful duet of "The Times They Are a Changin" with Hugues Aufray singing a couple of verses in French and with Van Morrison on "baby blue") and Newcastle being personal favourites. Some of the earlier shows are nice too, such as Munich, Rotterdam and Cologne. Dylan does a very good cover of Willie Nelson's "Why Do I Have To Choose" at a few of the shows on the first half of the tour.

Theres guest appearances by the truckload on this tour, especially over the last few nights, with Santana joining in on the electric encores at each show (the tour was a double header with both artists) and other appearances by the likes of Clapton, Chrissie Hynde, Bono, Van Morrison etc. Bono embarrassed himself on the final song of the tour at Slane in front of his home crowd by proceeding to make up his own lyrics for "Blowin' in the wind" as he didnt know the original well enough (!!!). They were so cringeworthy he should have been taken out the next morning and shot like a dog
2nd June 2004 08:08 AM
T&A i have several shows from the tour - i have a far different opinion - although it's great to hear MT, of course - I think this is one of the worst periods for Dylan. Poor vocals, poor (non-existent, often) arrangements...just didn't seem to care much. Pretty much par for the course for the mid-80's....
2nd June 2004 10:03 AM
Gazza I guess another way of looking at that is that whilst Taylor played well on that tour, a bandleader he certainly is not.

I thought it was a decent enough tour as far as Bob goes. His vocals seemed fine to me for the most part. I dont think the arrangements were as good as his previous tour (the 1980-81 shows) but that band was together much longer, rehearsed and also recorded together and, the late 1980 shows especially were amongst his best of the last 25 years. The '84 tour was more of a stripped down rock sound tailored for stadiums (this was Dylan's only ever stadium tour)
2nd June 2004 10:40 AM
jb My understanding was that MT was the lead guitarist on this tour.
2nd June 2004 01:39 PM
Phog I've got one of his Paris shows from '84. It's a good audience recording. Van Morrison makes a guest appearance for one song. Another guest (who's name escapes me right now) sings "Times They Are A Changin'" in French. I always thought it was a pretty good tour, but haven't really heard too much from it. I'd love to hear that Barcelona show!!
2nd June 2004 03:32 PM
shakedhandswithkeith I saw the Hamburg show with Santana and Joan Baez. It was my first Dylan show and I wondered why the man beside me wrote every song on a list......4 years later I did the same at every Zappa show I visited.

Mac told me some years ago, that he remember the Barcelona show very well, because he never had a show with so much heavy rain.
2nd June 2004 03:38 PM
jb Great topic guys!!! i really enjoyed reading the posts.
2nd June 2004 03:55 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
shakedhandswithkeith wrote:
I saw the Hamburg show with Santana and Joan Baez. It was my first Dylan show and I wondered why the man beside me wrote every song on a list......4 years later I did the same at every Zappa show I visited.

how was Santana? reading the notes, sounds like he was bad, bad, bad...
2nd June 2004 04:10 PM
Joey

Great Posting all around Here .......................

God I love this board .

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Goyski !
2nd June 2004 04:13 PM
shakedhandswithkeith
quote:
PolkSalad wrote:

how was Santana? reading the notes, sounds like he was bad, bad, bad...

not so bad, but not good. it was the time he played with a new line up, and put new songs in the setlist like "Brotherhood" and so on. But he had very good musicians, both Chester Thompson (one on keyboards, the other on drums), Alphonso Johnson on bass (he made a very good solo on the Chapman Stick).
2nd June 2004 04:21 PM
jb Thanks Polksalad69
2nd June 2004 06:07 PM
Gazza >My understanding was that MT was the lead guitarist on this tour.

er, yes he was....
2nd June 2004 06:42 PM
Phog The official album from this tour doesn't get much love for some reason. It opens with a "Highway 61" that absolutely smokes. Full-on MT. Check it out, Josh. You'll dig it.
3rd June 2004 12:11 AM
T&A Phog:

Like I said - this tour is a keeper primarily because of MT. Without him playing equistite, extensive leads throughout the show, there'd be very reason to listen to these shows. Bob seems mostly along for the ride. This would continue during the '86 run with Petty & Co. Bob seemingly had lost his way as a leader and was relying on high-profile mates to carry the day. He started to find his way again starting in '87 during the Petty European tour - and by 1988 he was "calling the shots" again in earnest. He's had a couple of 'hiccups' since then - but it's been a pretty steady ride since about '94...
3rd June 2004 12:52 AM
mac_daddy

05/31/84 (Third Show of the Tour)
Withelm-Koch-Stadion
Hamburg, West Germany

great hwy 61 opener

alright jokerman with nice lead guitar work by MT

watchtower - sounds like taylor gets lost a little here in his first solo; gets it together by the end of the song, but Bob eggs him on to finish his noodling by blowing the harp (kinda like mick sayin' "alright" in the middle of the europe 73 solos - givin' MT the cue to wrap it up)

just like a woman - I like this one alot...

maggies farm - nothing special

i + i and license 2 kill - both nice performances

mojo workin' - I liked this one (I know dylan wasnt onstage, but it is still a solid performance) // [cut to the acoustic - is anything missing?]

acoustic: it aint me (solid), it's alright (didnt grab me), don't think twice (nice harmonica)

baby blue -> lars - all very good. nothing special, but nothing fishy, either.

blowin in the wind kinda blows...

nice tombstone blues encore.

the best show of the tour, thus far...

as for the source, there are some artifacts, but it is very listenable nonetheless.
_____

night 4 just finished downloading, I will pull night 5 tomorrow, and night 6 on friday (assuming fenderT doesn't get backed up). I probably won't listen to any of them until the weekend, though...

_____

I am archiving these on DVD-R (in FLAC). so if you want a copy of the DVDs as I make them, fire me a PM (but you must know how to use FLAC)...
_____

quote:
t&a wrote:

Like I said - this tour is a keeper primarily because of MT. Without him playing equistite, extensive leads throughout the show, there'd be very reason to listen to these shows. Bob seems mostly along for the ride. This would continue during the '86 run with Petty & Co. Bob seemingly had lost his way as a leader and was relying on high-profile mates to carry the day. He started to find his way again starting in '87 during the Petty European tour - and by 1988 he was "calling the shots" again in earnest. He's had a couple of 'hiccups' since then - but it's been a pretty steady ride since about '94...

that is a pretty fair assessment, although there are nights in each of those tours that are fantastic...

I would just add that he has been rollin' since '97-'98

word has it that touring with the REAL dead in what was it 94, 95 (I was up at Highgate, just can't remember the year)?? anyway - right around then I believe he is quoted as saying that the dead were where it was at - they were a real working band, and they toured, and sold out every night. He went on to say that that was where he wanted to be, and that was kind of the impetus behind the "never-ending" tour that he fired up soon thereafter...

I am liking the 84 - the band is getting warmed up (I didnt know he fired MT the night before the opener - only to rehire him that day). the sound of the boots is certainly better than the 75, 78, 79, 80 stuff I have come across, and I dig the music of this tour more than that of the others I just mentioned (save maybe the RTR, but the sources I have from that tour suck)...

[Edited by mac_daddy]
3rd June 2004 04:15 AM
Stonefarker Yep - there is a soundboard from this tour: Live At the Paleur (Rome I think). It's an excellent soundboard BUT the Mick Taylor channel is barely audible!!! Of course I traded for it because of MT and was disappointed to only just hear him play!

I have another from Barcelona - this is not a soundboard but very good audience with some brilliant Taylor.
3rd June 2004 09:47 AM
jb Great news for Dylan fans!!!
4th June 2004 10:43 AM
jpenn11 Macdaddy, is this being seeded at one of the Dylan sites?

I tried dylantree and bobsboots, but didn't find this seed there.

I happen to like Paleur though, if I recall correctly, the vocals are very prominent in the mix. The Blowin in the Wind at Barcelona is supposed to be very good. I'm interested in the Wembley and French shows, which also receive fairly wide circulation.

Does anyone know why Mick was (temporarily) fired or why the tour never reached the US?
4th June 2004 11:28 AM
Joey " Does anyone know why Mick was (temporarily) fired or why the tour never reached the US? "

4th June 2004 12:07 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:
Macdaddy, is this being seeded at one of the Dylan sites?

I tried dylantree and bobsboots, but didn't find this seed there.

STG, today's show 1984-06-04 is currently being seeded.

http://www.sharingthegroove.org/msgboard/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=17
4th June 2004 12:17 PM
Joey
quote:
PolkSalad wrote:

STG, today's show 1984-06-04 is currently being seeded.

http://www.sharingthegroove.org/msgboard/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=17

4th June 2004 01:03 PM
Factory Girl The 1984 tour with Mick Taylor was very special. MT took Dylan's playing to another level. If you all don't believe me, check out Barcelona show from that tour.

Just magical...
4th June 2004 01:29 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
The 1984 tour with Mick Taylor was very special. MT took Dylan's playing to another level. If you all don't believe me, check out Barcelona show from that tour.

Just magical...

I'm waiting, he's only on 6/4/84. Barcelona is what 6/28?
4th June 2004 01:52 PM
Factory Girl yes, Barcelona is 6/28/84. I'm pretty sure that MT played w/BD on the entire European tour'84.
4th June 2004 02:48 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
yes, Barcelona is 6/28/84. I'm pretty sure that MT played w/BD on the entire European tour'84.

There was a link to someone's boot list w/all the shows from that tour listed. Very detailed, but heck if I can find it again.
4th June 2004 03:19 PM
T&A MT did indeed play during the entire tour...
Page: 1 2