ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

NME Poll Winners Awards, Wembley Empire Pool, April 11, 1965
© The Associated Newspapers Archives
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: (msc) dylantour 1984 Return to archive Page: 1 2
4th June 2004 03:54 PM
Gazza > Does anyone know why Mick was (temporarily) fired or why the tour never reached the US?

the original plan was for a South American tour. When that idea fell apart, Dylan and Santana decided to do a European tour instead. There was never a plan to tour the US.

The backing band for the whole tour was :

Mick Taylor - lead guitar Ian McLagan - keyboards
Colin Allen - Drums Greg Sutton - bass

Immediately prior to Dylan's first solo acoustic mini-set, the band would play a song on their own with Sutton on vocal. For the first part of the tour, it was "Got My mjo Workin'", later replaced by "I've Got To Use My Imagination"

Full tour dates and setlists can be found here:
http://www.bjorner.com/DSN07010%20-%201984%20Europe%20Tour.htm
4th June 2004 04:11 PM
jb Thanks Gazza....LadyJ and I spoke highly of you over lunch...
4th June 2004 04:23 PM
Gazza My ears are burning! LOL. Look forward to meeting you both sometime in 2005.

Hope you liked the 'Beatles' tribute on page 2 of your "congratulations" thread...
4th June 2004 05:28 PM
Phog Would someone help me out with getting a copy of the Barcelona '84 show? I've got plenty to trade or could do a B&P. Please help!! Thanks.
4th June 2004 06:10 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
Gazza wrote:

TY
4th June 2004 07:02 PM
Gazza Phog

E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll be glad to help ya out
4th June 2004 07:17 PM
Phog Email sent. Thank you, Gazza. You're a true gentleman.
4th June 2004 07:29 PM
Factory Girl Hey, I want to meet Gazza!

I've already met Mick Taylor and yadda, yadda, yadda, that's all folks!
4th June 2004 07:44 PM
Gazza LOL...well when I mentioned them both, K, I was just referring to their lunch conversation. Obviously, I'd like to meet you and as many other folks here as possible!
4th June 2004 09:11 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
> Does anyone know why Mick was (temporarily) fired or why the tour never reached the US?

the original plan was for a South American tour. When that idea fell apart, Dylan and Santana decided to do a European tour instead. There was never a plan to tour the US.

The backing band for the whole tour was :

Mick Taylor - lead guitar Ian McLagan - keyboards
Colin Allen - Drums Greg Sutton - bass

Immediately prior to Dylan's first solo acoustic mini-set, the band would play a song on their own with Sutton on vocal. For the first part of the tour, it was "Got My mjo Workin'", later replaced by "I've Got To Use My Imagination"

thanks for the info, Gazza...

the Mojo on night 3 is pretty rippin'. I have night 4, 5, 6 on deck. That Barcelona SBD, and some of the other sources from later in the tour (and already mentioned in this thread) are outta sight! they are the ones that prompted me to undertake this thing. They were also seeded a year or so ago by the same source. I am hoping that that he offers up some alternate sources of the show, rather than reseeding the sbds he already has put up....

_____

Gazza - do you you use PAL DVDs?
4th June 2004 09:53 PM
Gazza I do, yes. but you'll find that most newer DVD's in Europe play all regions (same with VCRs) and the DVD drive on your PC should be multi-region as well.

The Barcelona show is a soundboard? First Ive ever heard of it. AFAIK the circulating recordings are audience, albeit extremely good ones.
4th June 2004 10:27 PM
T&A Barcelona sbd, Mac? Don't think so. A very good audience, though...
4th June 2004 11:14 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
T&A wrote:
Barcelona sbd, Mac? Don't think so. A very good audience, though...

might be confused - I was talking off the top of my head. the barcelona aud is great, and the sbds I have heard of that tour are great, too...

____

PAL / NTSC are different than regions. The former deals with the standard refresh rates of television sets...

anyway, the reason I ask is that, if you want them, I will burn copies of these PAL DVDs I just received for ya before I convert them to NTSC (a new paris 76 and x-pensive wino/rockpalast).
5th June 2004 04:23 PM
Factory Girl I think Bob canned MT b/c of MT's drug use at the time. I still say MT's playing on that tour was just beautiful.
11th June 2004 04:27 PM
jpenn11 Some of these less-well-known shows look great. (Apparently, there will be videos as well.)

Here's today's STG post:

#11 Bob Dylan & Mick Taylor (former Rolling Stones guitarist)
06-11-84
Stadion Bieberer Berg,
Offenbach, West Germany

DO NOT CONVERT TO .MP3 OR ANY OTHER LOSSY FORMAT

Converted by: Fendert
Conversion: Tape>x?>CDR>Wav>Flac
Quality: Very Good / Audience

This is the 11th show with Bob Dylan and former Rolling Stones guitarist Mick Taylor.
This is another very good bordering on great show and in great quality. Parts of it are
fantastic. The crowd is very vocal on this one yelling out for songs such as (this one
amazes me since this song had just been written less than a year before and was never
released until years later) "Blind Willie McTell," "Solid Rock," and even the Rolling
Stones / Mick Taylor classic "Time Waits For No One" (at the end of track 3, disc 2).
Also someone yells out at the end of the first acoustic set "Where is the Band," which is
quite a tribute to them as Dylan was putting on a great solo performance at the time.
Taylor plays a fantastic solo on Greg Suttons "Imagination." The setlist is fairly typical.
"Man of Peace" is included this night (replaces "Simple Twist of Fate") and is really one
of the better versions of it. "Why Do I Have To Choose" is interesting because Taylor
opts NOT to play slide on it (he plays the second solo on it this night). Santana as usual
ruins every song he plays on with his bad tone and solos that do not fit in with the music.
One interesting thing that happened was that "All Along the Watchtower" was played
twice this night. Once in it's usual spot in the show and then as the last song. Also,
Santana's conga players are on the last couple of songs. Right now is the 20th nniversary
of those shows and I thought it would be cool to release each show to STG on the date of
the actual show plus 20 years. So, here is the eleventh show; only 16 more!!! We'll see
if I can keep up with the rest of the tour. No artwork, enjoy

Disc 1
1. Highway 61 Revisited
2. Jokerman
3. All Along The Watchtower
4. Just Like A Woman
5. Maggie's Farm
6. I And I
7. License To Kill
8. Just my Imagination
9. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (acoustic)
10. Tangled Up In Blue (acoustic)
11. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) (acoustic)
12. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
13. Masters Of War

Disc 2
01. Ballad Of A Thin Man
02. Man Of Peace
03. Every Grain Of Sand
04. Like A Rolling Stone
05. It Ain't Me, Babe (acoustic)
06. Mr. Tambourine Man (acoustic)
07. Love Minus Zero - No Limit
08, Tombstone Blues
09. Why Do I Have To Choose?
10. The Times They Are A-Changin'
11. All Along The Watchtower

ONWARDS TO BERLIN NEXT!!!!!!!!!
11th June 2004 04:31 PM
jb I heard the solos from MT on that tour were killer!!!
11th June 2004 05:01 PM
jpenn11 I can't hook up a burner to my computer. Is anyone interested in starting a tree of the lesser-known shows or taking a B&P?
[Edited by jpenn11]
11th June 2004 05:38 PM
celtic stone Anyone have these Dylan shows and be willing to do a B+P for a copy
13/09/2000
14/09/2000
17/11/2003

Cheers!

[Edited by celtic stone]
11th June 2004 07:19 PM
Gazza I have the first two. I was at both of those Dublin shows! mail me

Dont have the 17.11.03 Dublin show..still lookin' for that one myself
12th June 2004 04:26 PM
celtic stone Thanks for offering Gazza, but I've found someone to copy these and a few other shows for me.
In relation to the 17/11/2003 show check out a site called "Bobsboots". On the site there is a traders list and plenty of traders there seem to have this show and I'am sure you have plenty to trade, so you should have no problem getting a copy.

Cheers!
18th June 2004 08:36 PM
mac_daddy what is an Ahoy..?

is it a Dutch word for stadium or music hall..?
18th June 2004 09:00 PM
Gazza its the name of a sports arena in Rotterdam

The Stones played there several times, including last August
18th June 2004 09:12 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
its the name of a sports arena in Rotterdam

OK - so it means sports arena..? there are several of them, aren't there? (isn't there one in brussels, too?)

quote:
Gazza also wrote:
The Stones played there several times, including last August

I know - I did some post- on a recording from there

same place(s) they played in 1973, right?
19th June 2004 05:39 PM
mac_daddy today's show is a sbd! first of the tour, i think...
19th June 2004 07:18 PM
polksalad69
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
today's show is a sbd! first of the tour, i think...

That's what the poster said, also said you can hardly hear MT. I got off after the 8th show.
20th June 2004 11:06 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
polksalad69 wrote:

That's what the poster said, also said you can hardly hear MT. I got off after the 8th show.

well, I am doing them all...

these kind of opportunities do not come around all that often, so I grab whilst the gettin' is good!!!

I am archiving the sets in lossless on DVD, so if you want to arrange something later, I can hook you up.

great stuff, though.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
20th June 2004 12:51 PM
polksalad69
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
well, I am doing them all...

these kind of opportunities do not come around all that often, so I grab whilst the gettin' is good!!!

I am archiving the sets in lossless on DVD, so if you want to arrange something later, I can hook you up.

great stuff, though.

I hear ya. That's cool. Don't have dvd capabilities. I saved a few in lossless tho. Too much music, too little time, or too small hd.
Page: 1 2