ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Estadio Anoeta, San Sebastián, 23rd June 2007
© Diario Vasco thanks Jeep and Estela
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: BRIAN QUIT STONES 38 YEARS AGO Return to archive Page: 1 2
10th June 2007 12:47 AM
wasted FLASHBACK: BRIAN JONES LEAVES THE ROLLING STONES

It was 38 years ago today (June 8th,1969) that Brian Jones, founding member of the Rolling Stones, officially quit the band.

Jones, a blues enthusiast, both named and led the original group which included Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, and keyboardist Ian Stewart. (Shortly after turning professional, Stewart, whose looks didn't fit with the band, signed on as their road manager.)

Jones played a pivotal role in the Stones' success, with his blond hair and good looks, as well as his ability to play any instrument seemingly within minutes of picking it up. Jones played the recorders and cello on "Ruby Tuesday," and the marimba on "Under My Thumb," as well as the saxophone on the Beatles' "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)."

Jones began losing control of the group when Jagger and Richards began their songwriting partnership in 1965, which slowly moved the band away from Jones' blues-based direction. By 1966, Jones' mental instability and drug abuse had become a liability to the Stones. Due to his substance abuse problems, Jones frequently missed recording sessions, and was unable to function within the band when he did attend.
Bassist Bill Wyman wrote about Jones in his 1991 autobiography Stone Alone, saying, "For two years not only had he become physically vulnerable and battered by his drug busts, but within the Stones he was sad, isolated and obviously unhappy."
On June 8th, 1969, Jagger, Richards, and drummer Charlie Watts fired Jones. They claimed that due to legal problems, Jones wouldn't be able to attain a work visa for their upcoming U.S. tour.
Jones agreed to a settlement which gave him a lump sum of nearly $200,000, as well as a yearly salary of $40,000 for as long as the band stayed together. He was also allowed to issue a statement saying that he had quit the band. He then reportedly tried to form a supergroup with John Lennon, who had stayed friendly with Jones after his firing.
Jones died July 3rd, 1969, at the age of 27. He was found dead at the bottom of the swimming pool at his Cotchford Farm home, in Hartford, England. For years there have been various conspiracy theories about what went on the night Jones died, including several suggesting foul play. Last year a film focusing on Jones' last days, titled Stoned, opened in theaters.
10th June 2007 01:31 AM
mrhipfl I thought he got fired?
10th June 2007 02:23 PM
GhostofBrianJones No not exactly, he knew he was not going to be able to tour
with them anymore due to his health, and the problems he
had with drug busts and etc. I feel it was a mutual agreement
that he leave the band.

Check out the Brian Jones Like A Rolling Stone message forum
for more information on this and other Brian-related subjects.
They explain it better than I can.
10th June 2007 03:05 PM
fireontheplatter i was 7 years old when this happened.

on flashback this morning they said that this week back in '78 the stones released, some girls.
11th June 2007 02:20 AM
Zack
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I thought he got fired?

He did. The whole US visa thing was bullshit. Mick and Keith were both convicted felons, and they got them.

11th June 2007 10:09 AM
Brian Jones Girl He didn't want to be in The Stones anymore and The Stones didn't want him. Simple as that...
11th June 2007 07:51 PM
Bruno A thing I never understood: what are "recorders" on Ruby Tuesday?
11th June 2007 10:07 PM
Brian Jones Girl
quote:
Bruno wrote:
A thing I never understood: what are "recorders" on Ruby Tuesday?

A recorder is a wind instrument. You know like a flute...
12th June 2007 11:48 PM
Lethargy Good riddance.
12th June 2007 11:51 PM
glencar
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i was 7 years old when this happened.

on flashback this morning they said that this week back in '78 the stones released, some girls.

Some Girls is better to honor. This Brian worship is creeping me out, man!
13th June 2007 12:11 AM
Lethargy All you need to do is watch Rock And Roll Circus to realize how useless BJ was. It you like Brian and haven't seen this, don't ever see it. Humiliation. Won't even let him hold a guitar lots of the time.

Lots of people could have played sitar on Paint It Black and done everything else Brian did. The most replaceable Stone this side of Bill Wyman. What made the Stones are the songs that Mick and Keith wrote (and Mick's performances, and Keith's redefinition of rythym guitar, etc.)
13th June 2007 03:46 AM
Brian Jones Girl
quote:
This Brian worship is creeping me out, man!

How is remembering someone's departure considered worship?

quote:
Realize how useless BJ was. Lots of people could have played sitar on Paint It Black and done everything else Brian did. The most replaceable Stone...

No there is no one like Brian Jones.
He was unique and is irreplaceable.

quote:
Good riddance.

Hmm... funny how you say that about the FOUNDER of The Stones...
P.S. Look who's talking bad about Brian by saying he had a poor performance at The Rock N' Roll Circus with a name like "Lethargy".

quote:
Check out the Like A Rolling Stone message forum
for more information on this and other Brian-related subjects.

Yeah I'm going to go hang out over there instead of Rocks Off from now on.
13th June 2007 09:12 AM
Mathijs
quote:
Zack wrote:
He did. The whole US visa thing was bullshit. Mick and Keith were both convicted felons, and they got them.

Technically this is not true. Jagger and Richards were convicted in the '67 trial, but were acquitted later on. Jagger then was accused again in '69, but that turned out to be a total set-up. In the end the officer whom had arrested Jagger was fired. So except for some minor felonies they did not have any drugs related conviction, and thus did not have any trouble receiving a visa.

Brian was convicted for the possesion of soft drugs, and would have had a hard time receiving a visa.

What I have always found peculiar is that it was Ian Stewart's idea to find a replacement for Brian fo the upcoming tour. His idea was to find a replacement until Brian was sobered up again.

Mathijs
13th June 2007 11:00 AM
killerbitch It's always interesting to see someone talk about Brian when they know nothing
about him in the first place. If you like Mick and Keith that is fine, but Brian
founded, name and selected the band members way back in 1962 and
even though he was with them only a short time, he was a multi-talented
instrument player. He played enough of the instruments he learned to to
beautifully on the early songs by the Stones. A person can be alive or dead
to appreciate them makes no difference, just a matter of preference.

To Brian fan is makes no difference what anyone thinks, everyone is entitled
to their own opinion, and it certainly does not mean anything to me if
someone does like him, you like who you want.
13th June 2007 01:32 PM
The Porkchop Express As confirmed by Bill in "Stone Alone", Brian quit the band:

"Towards the end of May (1969), during a recording session, Brian intimated that he was thinking of leaving to pursue his own career. Nobody was particularly surprised."

quote:
Lethargy wrote:
All you need to do is watch Rock And Roll Circus to realize how useless BJ was. It you like Brian and haven't seen this, don't ever see it. Humiliation. Won't even let him hold a guitar lots of the time.

What's so humiliating about Brian at the Rock n' Roll Circus? First of all, Brian's slide guitar on "No Expectations" was masterful. He also provided fine rhythm guitar to Keith's leads, as you can hear on the old bootlegs that were around in the 1980s. Unfortunately, on the recent DVD release, Brian's rhythm work is not audible, and has been edited out. And secondly, the entire filming of the Circus was stretched out over two days, and everyone was awake the entire time. Plus everyone was drinking: Pete Townshend in particular was out of his head. So, Brian may have been a little tipsy, and sleepy, but to state that he was "useless" is completely inaccurate and blatantly false. Incidently, Keith was reported by Townshend to have had a "green" looking face when he arrived on the first day of shooting, because he was completely smacked up on heroin.

quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Lots of people could have played sitar on Paint It Black and done everything else Brian did.

Oh, are you speaking from experience? Do you know how to play a sitar, let alone have you ever played a sitar?

Right, I'm sure anyone off the street could pick up a recorder, guitar and a slide, cello, sitar, tambora, mellotron, organ, piano, flute, harmonica, dulcimer etc and immediately produce great melodies and music.

quote:
Lethargy wrote:
The most replaceable Stone this side of Bill Wyman. What made the Stones are the songs that Mick and Keith wrote (and Mick's performances, and Keith's redefinition of rythym guitar, etc.)

So, where are all of the other multi-instrumentalists? If this were such an easy task for "lots of people", where are they? Surely then, according to your logic, there should be lots of these individuals all over the place.

[Edited by The Porkchop Express]
13th June 2007 01:46 PM
MrPleasant When did I quit my last and only formal job?

I can't remember. I'm asking.
13th June 2007 01:56 PM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
The Porkchop Express wrote:
As confirmed by Bill in "Stone Alone", Brian quit the band:

"Towards the end of May (1969), during a recording session, Brian intimated that he was thinking of leaving to pursue his own career. Nobody was particularly surprised."

What's so humiliating about Brian at the Rock n' Roll Circus? First of all, Brian's slide guitar on "No Expectations" was masterful. He also provided fine rhythm guitar to Keith's leads, as you can hear on the old bootlegs that were around in the 1980s. Unfortunately, on the recent DVD release, Brian's rhythm work is not audible, and has been edited out. And secondly, the entire filming of the Circus was stretched out over two days, and everyone was awake the entire time. Plus everyone was drinking: Pete Townshend in particular was out of his head. So, Brian may have been a little tipsy, and sleepy, but to state that he was "useless" is completely inaccurate and blatantly false. Incidently, Keith was reported by Townshend to have had a "green" looking face when he arrived on the first day of shooting, because he was completely smacked up on heroin.

Oh, are you speaking from experience? Do you know how to play a sitar, let alone have you ever played a sitar?

Right, I'm sure anyone off the street could pick up a recorder, guitar and a slide, cello, sitar, tambora, mellotron, organ, piano, flute, harmonica, dulcimer etc and immediately produce great melodies and music.

So, where are all of the other multi-instrumentalists? If this were such an easy task for "lots of people", where are they? Surely then, according to your logic, there should be lots of these individuals all over the place.

Great Post
13th June 2007 04:42 PM
GhostofBrianJones I knew you would be here. LOVE YOU MUCH!!!
14th June 2007 08:07 AM
Philip To say Brian's slide at the r&r circus was masterful and that he provided great rhythm guitar for Keith's leads is very delusional. His parts are so basic and un-needed for the majority of the set.

It's very sad to watch imo, it's very obvious he wont be with them for much longer, he simply wasn't interested.

No Expectations is good because it's a great song, but it's a very shaky performance by Brian, he seems very nervous, his playing and approach is tentative in the extreme. Even his maraca's on Sympathy are inconsistant.

I love his earlier contributions, but the r&r circus shows him to be a shadow of his former self.

14th June 2007 08:16 AM
Philip Regarding being a multi instrumentalist...

A lot of it is common sense, if you play guitar, you'll be able to get something out of most stringed instruments, like wise if you play sax that opens up the woodwind stuff, piano etc etc.

Another point is that Brian had all these instruments available to him, not everyone does.

I don't mean this as an ego thing, but I've played guitar, sitar, bass, keyboards, flute, sax, harmonica, recorder, drums, percussion and sang on a lot of home and proper studio recordings.

Availability and the desire to learn other instruments is a big part of it, not everyone wants to, most prefer to master one instrument. It's a dangerous thing for a musician, because you can end up being a jack of all trades, master of none... that's where Brian ended up imo, a musician with no main instrument.
14th June 2007 09:15 AM
GhostofBrianJones I never noticed Brian's performance on RNR Circus as shaky
or inconsistent. He seemed to be doing great. No Expectations
was fantastic, and got great reviews from what I understand.
His maracas sounded great to me, he seemed to be right with
the song. He may have been tired, upset, maybe a little
tipsy but everyone else was high or drunk maybe except
Charlie. This was according to Pete Townshend and others.
He had been crying a lot before the performance and it makes
me sick to know that. Also I think he did wonderful on JJF
and Charlie was nothing short of miraculous on JJF he was
really getting down!

But I don't care who like BJ and who does not. I do and my
friends do and that is all that matters.
14th June 2007 09:44 AM
The Porkchop Express
quote:
Philip wrote:
To say Brian's slide at the r&r circus was masterful and that he provided great rhythm guitar for Keith's leads is very delusional. His parts are so basic and un-needed for the majority of the set.

LOL Are you a musician? Do you play guitar? If you actually think that's the case, then you might as well then call the Stones songs, along with Keith's, Bill's and Charlie's playing "basic". If you're not going to admit that, ie if you're going to argue that Brian's parts were "basic", yet everyone else's parts weren't "basic", then you're completely full of shit and have no clue what you're talking about.

quote:
Philip wrote:
It's very sad to watch imo, it's very obvious he wont be with them for much longer, he simply wasn't interested.

That's true, he wasn't interested at all. And how could you blame him, considering that Mick on the first day was being an abusive prick, calling him "worthless".

quote:
Philip wrote:
No Expectations is good because it's a great song, but it's a very shaky performance by Brian, he seems very nervous, his playing and approach is tentative in the extreme.

LOL You ARE full of shit. You obviously aren't a guitarist and have no idea what you're talking about.

quote:
Philip wrote:
Even his maraca's on Sympathy are inconsistant.

Jesus christ.

quote:
Philip wrote:
I love his earlier contributions, but the r&r circus shows him to be a shadow of his former self.

Whatever.

14th June 2007 10:08 AM
The Porkchop Express
quote:
Philip wrote:
It's a dangerous thing for a musician, because you can end up being a jack of all trades, master of none... that's where Brian ended up imo, a musician with no main instrument.

T.r.i.p.p.i.n.g.
14th June 2007 11:11 AM
GhostofBrianJones Hi Porkchop! Long time no hear or see! My true blue Brian Jones fan and friend.
How are you doing?
14th June 2007 11:29 AM
Philip Brian is basically inaudible on all of the tracks save for no expectations and sympathy.

Basically, apart from no expectations, the stones would have sounded the same with or without Brian playing at the r&r circus.

I've played guitar for 18 years, flute and saxophone for 10 and can play sitar, recorder, drums and piano etc to a ok standard. Here's a link to one of the reviews of my home demos, I don't have the music online anymore though:

http://psychedelicfolk.homestead.com/psychfolkpopreview2.html#anchor_78

I've been a stones/brian fan since 1989, but blindly worshipping everything he did is stupid. Sometimes he was great, sometimes he was crap.

[Edited by Philip]
14th June 2007 12:13 PM
The Porkchop Express
Excuse me? I don't "blindy worship everything he did" either, so spare me your presumptious bullshit.

14th June 2007 12:24 PM
Philip
quote:
The Porkchop Express wrote:

Excuse me? I don't "blindy worship everything he did" either, so spare me your presumptious bullshit.

Far out!
14th June 2007 12:48 PM
Erik_Snow Agree with Philip about the Brian's contribution to Rock'n Roll Circus. The 5th wheel on the wagon, no doubt.
It's a sad watch. How anyone can disagree with that is beyond me
[Edited by Erik_Snow]
14th June 2007 12:49 PM
JaggerLips The whole Brian Jones thing is immaterial to me because I am not old enough to remember him when he was alive. The Rolling Stones has always been Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie in my eyes.

14th June 2007 02:26 PM
Mathijs
quote:
Philip wrote:
Regarding being a multi instrumentalist...

A lot of it is common sense, if you play guitar, you'll be able to get something out of most stringed instruments, like wise if you play sax that opens up the woodwind stuff, piano etc etc.

Another point is that Brian had all these instruments available to him, not everyone does.

What I always find very strange is to point out how multi-instrumental Brian was, people tend to give several names for the same instrument. For example, he played sitar AND tambura (they're basically the same), he played piano AND mellotron AND keyboards, he played electric guitar AND acoustic guitar AND 12 string guitar AND slide guitar AND bass guitar AND 12 Vox Mando, he played flute AND recorder, he played tabla AND precussion....

Many people who worship Brian for being so multi-talented have no idea about playing instruments.

Mathijs
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)