ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Estadio Anoeta, San Sebastián, 23rd June 2007
© Diario Vasco thanks Jeep and Estela
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: BRIAN QUIT STONES 38 YEARS AGO Return to archive Page: 1 2
14th June 2007 02:49 PM
The Porkchop Express
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

What I always find very strange is to point out how multi-instrumental Brian was, people tend to give several names for the same instrument. For example, he played sitar AND tambura (they're basically the same),

No, they're not the same. They produce different tones, and you can do much more on a sitar, as opposed to a tamboura. Watch George Harrison's "Concert for Bangladesh", specifically when Ravi Shankar and his Indian classical band perform. Ravi plays a sitar, while the woman plays a tamboura. Two completely different instruments.

quote:
Mathijs wrote:
he played piano AND mellotron AND keyboards,

Uh, a mellotron is different than a piano.

quote:
Mathijs wrote:
he played electric guitar AND acoustic guitar AND 12 string guitar AND slide guitar AND bass guitar AND 12 Vox Mando, he played flute AND recorder, he played tabla AND precussion....

I never mentioned anything about an "electric guitar", "acoustic guitar", "12 string guitar", "bass guitar", or "12 Vox Mando".

And who in their right mind would misconstrue tabla with percussion? That is such a blatant, and ignorant generalization.

quote:
Mathijs wrote:
Many people who worship Brian for being so multi-talented have no idea about playing instruments.

Condescending, presumptious, douchebags such as yourself, -who immediately presume that anyone who defends Brian Jones has to "worship" him - who also make up all sorts of shit, are exactly that: douchebags.
14th June 2007 04:37 PM
Philip porkchop, have you played a sitar before? If you play guitar, I garuntee you'll be able to get something going on sitar. Brian's sitar on paint it black is piss easy to play, he didn't even play it properly, just using a plectrum.

I like Brian's contributions, and I also like the fact their so easy to work out.

14th June 2007 04:50 PM
The Porkchop Express
quote:
Philip wrote:
I like Brian's contributions, and I also like the fact their so easy to work out.

A lot of them are, but then some of them aren't. Anyways, the same goes for Keith's.

[Edited by The Porkchop Express]
14th June 2007 05:01 PM
Philip
quote:
The Porkchop Express wrote:

A lot of them are, but then some of them aren't. Anyways, the same goes for Keith's.

Name some parts you've had trouble with?
15th June 2007 08:30 AM
Mathijs
quote:
No, they're not the same. They produce different tones, and you can do much more on a sitar, as opposed to a tamboura. Two completely different instruments.

You really don't get it do you. A tambura basically is a sitar without the adjustable frets -but you play them in exactly the same way. A tambura is a little more easy as you can only play drones and not melodies, but the basics are the same. If you play guitar, it is fairly easy to get a decent melody out of a sitar, or a nice drone out of a tambura. Of course it is nowhere near how a true master would play it, but it is enough for a pop songs.

quote:
Uh, a mellotron is different than a piano.

10 points for you. But both have a keyboard, and if you can play a piano from a technical point of view (thus you can form chords and melodies on the keyboard of a piano), you can play a mellotron, harpsichord and whatever keyboard instrument. If you can play a piano you can also play a marimba, as the keys are aranged as a piano keyboard.

quote:
And who in their right mind would misconstrue tabla with percussion? That is such a blatant, and ignorant generalization.

If you have some sense for rythm, playing percussion is fairly easy, as even without any real proper hand technique, percussion sounds good very easily. The way the Stones used the tabla is as a general piece of percussion, just as conga's or timbales, sometimes even played with mallets.

quote:
Condescending, presumptious, douchebags such as yourself, -who immediately presume that anyone who defends Brian Jones has to "worship" him - who also make up all sorts of shit, are exactly that: douchebags.

yeah, yeah. Your usual way of responding. Grow up please.

Mathijs
15th June 2007 10:57 AM
The Porkchop Express
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
You really don't get it do you. A tambura basically is a sitar without the adjustable frets -but you play them in exactly the same way. A tambura is a little more easy as you can only play drones and not melodies, but the basics are the same. If you play guitar, it is fairly easy to get a decent melody out of a sitar, or a nice drone out of a tambura. Of course it is nowhere near how a true master would play it, but it is enough for a pop songs.

Yeah, no shit, fucko. You could also make a similar argument with a guitar, and a bass guitar. You could also make a similar case with all sorts of various stringed instruments. The bottom line is that they're different instruments.

quote:
Mathijs wrote:
yeah, yeah. Your usual way of responding. Grow up please.

Look who's talking. Fuckin' pussy bitch fairy.

15th June 2007 01:42 PM
Philip The way in which a tambura and a sitar are played is not the same at all really. :P

All you need to do to 'play' tambura is gently stroke each string with index or middle finger, that's it!

The sitar requires the use of a mizrab on the index finger of the right hand for 'picking', and obviously some serious fretting action with the left hand.

[Edited by Philip]
16th June 2007 12:41 AM
gypsy "And obviously some serious fretting action with the left hand."
16th June 2007 04:28 AM
Sophia Graves
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

Many people who worship Brian for being so multi-talented have no idea about playing instruments.

stupid.
i play guitar, recorder, bassguitar, piano, drums and now i am teaching myself the violin.... i taught all instruments myself.. (besides that i am probably never getting as good as brian... and i for example realized how complicated some instruments are especially when its about playing them properly... my friend has a sitar and plays it, in my opinion, almost perfect... i tried this instrument...holy shit.. i gave up.)
besides that i sing in a band several years and we are quite successful in sweden. whatever... what i wanted to say is that most people i know who admire and respect brian are mostly musicians themself.

so stop talking such stupid shit.

the porkchop express,
kudos to you for your posts!

[Edited by Sophia Graves]
16th June 2007 06:58 AM
Philip
quote:
gypsy wrote:
"And obviously some serious fretting action with the left hand."

hehe
:-()
[Edited by Philip]
16th June 2007 07:11 AM
Philip
quote:
Sophia Graves wrote:

stupid.
i play guitar, recorder, bassguitar, piano, drums and now i am teaching myself the violin.... i taught all instruments myself.. (besides that i am probably never getting as good as brian... and i for example realized how complicated some instruments are especially when its about playing them properly...

Brian's sitar on PIB, Dulcimer on LJ, recorder on RT, Mellotron on WLY, slide on NE, etc etc are easy to play so being "as good as Brian" isn't diffucult.

All great parts for sure, but nothing that's hard to play or work out. That's part of his greatness, making the simple stuff sound good!
16th June 2007 09:30 AM
Sophia Graves
quote:
Philip wrote:

Brian's sitar on PIB, Dulcimer on LJ, recorder on RT, Mellotron on WLY, slide on NE, etc etc are easy to play so being "as good as Brian" isn't diffucult.

All great parts for sure, but nothing that's hard to play or work out. That's part of his greatness, making the simple stuff sound good!

you still didnt really answer if you play such instruments yourself... i remember that porkchop asked a question similar to that.

recorder: if i had such a lung-capacity and wouldnt pass out after 2 minutes i would maybe make it to play it that way.

dulcimer: i didnt name such instrument...besides that i dont play it at all.. so i have no feeling for it and so logically i cant judge.

man...stop repeating yourself saying that it is all soooo easy... i doubt you play such instruments yourself so stop judging.. if you really do play them properly then proof us!
besides that: maybe it is simple stuff, maybe its not... but that doesnt really matter... its about the feeling for music, melodies, harmonies.. you know. and not anybody can just make it as good as he did. if it would be so easy then i would be the second brian jones and shit, wooohooo! haha..holy shit, i start to talk nonsense again...forgive me you all!
16th June 2007 11:29 AM
Philip Duh, re-read my posts and you might notice that I mentioned the instruments I play(ed) before he asked, and then answered his question by repeating that and posting a link to a review of my home demos!

You can hear me play sitar on the track 'Now's the Time for... here: www.myspace.com/kitchencynics

...and you can hear me play sax on the track 'Teun' here: www.myspace.com/staccatoset

You also seem to miss the fact that I'm a fan of Brian Jones music.

[Edited by Philip]
16th June 2007 01:01 PM
Sophia Graves
quote:
Philip wrote:
Duh, re-read my posts and you might notice that I mentioned the instruments I play(ed) before he asked, and then answered his question by repeating that and posting a link to a review of my home demos!

You can hear me play sitar on the track 'Now's the Time for... here: www.myspace.com/kitchencynics

...and you can hear me play sax on the track 'Teun' here: www.myspace.com/staccatoset

You also seem to miss the fact that I'm a fan of Brian Jones music.

[Edited by Philip]

i am sorry if i missed it...i actually read 95 percent of this thread and obviously did overfly exactly that part where you mentioned it.
and no, i dont miss the fact that youre a brian jones fan... i see you almost every day in the brian photo thread on here... :P (now you seem to forget that i am a picture-poster there over two years now)
i just mentioned my opinion that i dont think its so easy..if it is for you then okey, so be it.
16th June 2007 02:20 PM
Philip It just seems as though people are taking me saying his parts are simple as a negative thing, it isn't. I like simplicity in music!
16th June 2007 05:18 PM
Mathijs
quote:
Sophia Graves wrote:

stupid.
i play guitar, recorder, bassguitar, piano, drums and now i am teaching myself the violin.... i taught all instruments myself.. (besides that i am probably never getting as good as brian... and i for example realized how complicated some instruments are especially when its about playing them properly... my friend has a sitar and plays it, in my opinion, almost perfect... i tried this instrument...holy shit.. i gave up.)
besides that i sing in a band several years and we are quite successful in sweden. whatever... what i wanted to say is that most people i know who admire and respect brian are mostly musicians themself.

so stop talking such stupid shit.

Then you are most probably an exception, just as Philip is an exception. There aren't too many people on these boards whom actually know a bit about playing music, at least beyond standard pop music. There just aren't many people like Philip who actually play some of the instruments them selves.

About Brian's bits: about eveything Brian has ever done is fairly simple to copy. And that's the where the genius part comes in: they might be easy to copy and to play, but his genius was the fact that he went beyond the standard scope of mid-60's music (without a doubt inspired by the Beatles and The Beach Boys) and went to try and play different instruments.

There's is one instrument though where Brian really excelled, and that is the harmonica. In my opinion he truly was a brilliant harmonica player.

To Philip: to me, as a guitarist, there isn't much dfference between a sitar and a tambura. I pluck the in the same way (of course, I pluck them as a guitarist, not the way you sould play them), and I don't find it difficult to fret the sitar in order to play some simple melodies.

And as a genaral remark: I find it striking that only on this board people react many times swearing, offending ad insulting. This is something you do not see on other Stones boards, where discussions are mostly held with respect for other peoples opinions.

Mathijs
17th June 2007 12:03 AM
GilmourGirl Hi everyone, I'm actually a Syd Barrett/Pink Floyd gal but I came here just for this topic, I'm happy to see it. I actually just watched "Stoned" today, and no one has helped me out on the Barrett site that I'm regularly on (small wonder!)... anyway I was wondering if that movie was factual at all? And did anyone believe that guy Frank about his 'deathbed confession' that he killed Brian? Who has seen this movie and what's your opinion on it? Is it BS about Jones or what?
17th June 2007 12:27 AM
GilmourGirl Don't everyone answer at once!!!
17th June 2007 01:06 AM
killerbitch Check out the LARS forum, Brian Jones, Like A Rolling Stone
for more information. It is a long story and answer and
they can answer that better on there then here.
17th June 2007 04:54 AM
Philip
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

To Philip: to me, as a guitarist, there isn't much dfference between a sitar and a tambura. I pluck the in the same way (of course, I pluck them as a guitarist, not the way you sould play them), and I don't find it difficult to fret the sitar in order to play some simple melodies.

Mathijs

Yup, just like Brian! His 'incorrect' approach made for startling sounds, the tamboura on SFM would have been too soft had he played it 'properly'.
17th June 2007 01:29 PM
GilmourGirl
quote:
killerbitch wrote:
Check out the LARS forum, Brian Jones, Like A Rolling Stone
for more information. It is a long story and answer and
they can answer that better on there then here.

Thank you!!
17th June 2007 04:52 PM
GhostofBrianJones Plus there are a lot of Syd Barrett fans and other fans of
artists you mentioned but it is primarily a Brian Jones
forum.
17th June 2007 08:30 PM
GilmourGirl I do own some Stones material but I never have read up on their history, particularly Brian. But thanks for the info!!
17th June 2007 09:45 PM
GhostofBrianJones Hi Sophia, how ya been doing? Come back to the S&K thread
okay?
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)