ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

...You scratch just like a monkey
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŃOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Dylan album (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
13th June 2006 12:50 AM
Highwire Rob
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Confirmed by Sony insiders as to be released on August 29th

Album title is "Modern Times"

(sharing its title with Chaplin's 1936 classic...)

[Edited by Gazza]

Also sharing an album title with another musician whose work I enjoy:

Al Stewart of Time Passages and Year of the Cat fame.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
13th June 2006 04:31 AM
Gazza
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
is it just me but i'd say dylan's work with Lanois is great despite that fact not because of it

Its not just you, as I know of quite afew people who feel the same way about Lanois

I'm not one of them, however!
13th June 2006 07:40 AM
justinkurian More news from Rolling Stone.com...I can't wait for this.

We just got a sneak preview of his upcoming album, Modern Times, due out on August 29th. Times, which Dylan produced himself, mixes elements of 2001’s Love and Theft – blues variations (think “Cry A While”) and whimsical ballads (think “Floater”) – with the darker, swampier vibe of the Daniel Lanois-produced classics Time Out of Mind and Oh Mercy. Only Dylan’s current touring band plays on the new one: ringing in our ears was the bone-chilling vamp “Ain’t Talkin’”, which may be Dylan’s most powerful album-closing epic ever. Other song titles include “Thunder On the Mountain,” “Spirit on the Water,” “Workingman’s Blues,” “When the Deal Goes Down” and “Neddy Moore.” Before the release of Modern Times, Dylan will be doing another summer tour of minor league ballparks, with Merle Haggard opening.

-- Austin Scaggs
13th June 2006 07:47 AM
justinkurian Nothing on Dylan's website, but Columbia Records has made it official.

NEW YORK, June 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Bob Dylan's first new album in five years, Modern Times, will arrive in stores and online August 29. The artist's 44th album features 10 new Bob Dylan songs recorded this winter with Dylan on keyboards, guitars, harmonica and vocals, accompanied by his touring band.

Song titles on Modern Times include "Thunder On The Mountain," "Spirit On The Water," "Workingman's Blues," and "When The Deal Goes Down."

Columbia Records Chairman Steve Barnett stated, "A new Bob Dylan record is an event. Bob is that rare artist whose music defies all trends and resonates throughout all levels of our culture, and he continues to be as contemporary and relevant as any artist in music. We're approaching Modern Times as the third release in an outstanding trilogy of recorded works -- along with Time Out Of Mind and 'Love and Theft.' This is a staggering record by any standards, and is a major priority for our company, worldwide."

Bob Dylan is one of the world's most popular and acclaimed songwriters, musicians and performers, having sold nearly 100 million albums and performed literally thousands of shows around the world in a career spanning five decades.

His most recent studio albums, Time Out Of Mind and "Love & Theft" have been among his most commercially successful and critically lauded, each having sold more than a million copies in the U.S. and earning Grammy nominations for Album Of The Year (Time Out Of Mind won that award in 1998).

He wrote and recorded "Things Have Changed" for the 2000 film Wonder Boys, for which he received both the Academy Award and Golden Globe. The first volume of his memoirs, Chronicles, was one of the most acclaimed and best-selling non-fiction works of 2004, and last year's No Direction Home film, directed by Martin Scorsese, captivated audiences worldwide as it documented Dylan's early career and rise to fame. The film won a Peabody Award in 2006.

Bob Dylan's weekly XM Satellite Radio show, Theme Time Radio Hour, debuted in May and has quickly become one of that network's most popular programs.
[Edited by justinkurian]
13th June 2006 07:58 AM
Gazza
quote:
justinkurian wrote:
More news from Rolling Stone.com...I can't wait for this.

We just got a sneak preview of his upcoming album, Modern Times, due out on August 29th. Times, which Dylan produced himself, mixes elements of 2001’s Love and Theft – blues variations (think “Cry A While”) and whimsical ballads (think “Floater”) – with the darker, swampier vibe of the Daniel Lanois-produced classics Time Out of Mind and Oh Mercy. Only Dylan’s current touring band plays on the new one: ringing in our ears was the bone-chilling vamp “Ain’t Talkin’”, which may be Dylan’s most powerful album-closing epic ever. Other song titles include “Thunder On the Mountain,” “Spirit on the Water,” “Workingman’s Blues,” “When the Deal Goes Down” and “Neddy Moore.” Before the release of Modern Times, Dylan will be doing another summer tour of minor league ballparks, with Merle Haggard opening.

-- Austin Scaggs

CHRIST ON A BIKE!

his most powerful album closer ever? Its All Over Now Baby Blue, Desolation Row, Sara, Where are You Tonight, Every Grain of sand and Sugar Baby are all pretty tough acts to follow!!

I'm so excited I'm typing this with EVERYONE's penis! Even the girls...
[Edited by Gazza]
13th June 2006 09:11 AM
Sir Stonesalot You know, there have already been so many good albums released this year. And with new Dolls, Stooges, and now DYLAN on the horizon....damn it all if 2006 might be the best year of the 00's for new music.

I just can't stop smiling. Not even another 16 hour work day can bring me down today! My nipples are erect, and my bung is puckered.

Life is GOOD!
13th June 2006 09:36 AM
Nasty Habits SS - I hate to be a buzzkill, but have you heard the tracks on the Dolls' website? That might burst your bubble about that particular project somewhat. But we gotta have faith.

sia - I am with you. I think that Lanois makes Lanois albums and puts folks in their positions. I would genuinely love to hear what was mixed out of the Time Out of Mind tracks, and soundwise (hell, allwise) I'll take Love and Theft over TOOM any day. Even though both are great records.

Gazza, I was thinking the same thing. You better MEAN what you say you go and talk about most powerful Dylan album closers ever. Stones win the contest for mastering the album opening, but Dylan has rarely if ever failed to carve his own epitaph in stone on his last cuts.

Let's add Shooting Star, Buckets of Rain, Highlands, and Dark Eyes to your already impressive list. Oh yeah, and Sad . . . Eyed. . . Lady . . .of the low .. . . lands . . .
13th June 2006 09:37 AM
Riffhard Oh good god! That sounds fantastic! I'm am really looking forward to this one. Another trek on the endless tour for Zimmy with new material! Oh happy day!

Riffy
13th June 2006 10:27 AM
GotToRollMe Great news! Can't wait till the tour hits NYC.
13th June 2006 10:33 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:

CHRIST ON A BIKE!

his most powerful album closer ever? Its All Over Now Baby Blue, Desolation Row, Sara, Where are You Tonight, Every Grain of sand and Sugar Baby are all pretty tough acts to follow!!

[Edited by Gazza]

Hmmmmmmm....interesting Gazza

Yes, I also am very excited about this new album!!!
But since I have trouble typing, even with my fingers, I had some else do it for me........
13th June 2006 10:41 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Jesus, Gary. Drop my dick, I've got my own typing to do...
13th June 2006 11:52 AM
Gazza
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Drop my dick, I've got my own typing to do...

wasnt that the title of Ronnie's first album?
13th June 2006 11:56 AM
Sir Stonesalot >SS - I hate to be a buzzkill, but have you heard the tracks on the Dolls' website? That might burst your bubble about that particular project somewhat. But we gotta have faith.<

Uh-oh. NO...I've been staying away from doing that. Is this gonna hurt me like ABB did? Nevermind. Don't answer that. I'm just gonna wait for it to come out...like you said, gotta have faith.
13th June 2006 01:49 PM
Riffhard I played the first single from the new Dolls disk last night on the air. It's called Dance Like A Monkey. Huh,....well........it's got a decent groove to it,but it's a bit too noveltyish for my taste. Though just to get Sylvain and Dave into the studio together putting out new material is something that I'd never have thought I'd see again. So,you know,it's all good in the neighborhood.

Riffy
13th June 2006 03:43 PM
Martha
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Oh yeah you're absolutly correct here Martha. My point was that for the last number of years Bob has hired only top rate muscians and that his concert performances have been a testament to that fact. Not to mention the fact that his his last couple of albums have been nothing short of genius. I am just trying to point out that the muscians that he has surrounded himself with have evidently lit a creative fire inside him. It's all Bob though. No doubt about that.

Riffy

He does surround himself with top notch musicians....the kind that can dip and groove into anything at any given moment.

They all watch Bob like a hawk throughout the gig. Bill Monroe ran his gand the same way or similarly to Bob. He ran a tight ship. No messin' about. Bob loves to just go out there and rearrange his songs night after night...those guys have to be ready for anything.

I can't wait to hear his new release.

Did I read 3 masterpieces?!?!

Hugs and kisses to you Riffy!

Martha
13th June 2006 06:07 PM
Kilroy A new one by Bob, The new one from the Stones and a new one from Jerry Lee, I must have died and gone to heaven!
[Edited by Kilroy]
14th June 2006 10:30 AM
Martha Now that it has sunk in....I was so overcome with excitement tha I GAVE BIRTH sometime in the wee hours of the night last night!

To what....well I can't identify it (hope it has musical talents)....but I gave birth! LOL

Keep typing Gary, maybe YOU had something to do with this?!?!

ROTFLMAO!
14th June 2006 02:10 PM
Gazza
quote:
Martha wrote:
Now that it has sunk in....I was so overcome with excitement tha I GAVE BIRTH sometime in the wee hours of the night last night!

To what....well I can't identify it (hope it has musical talents)....but I gave birth! LOL

Keep typing Gary, maybe YOU had something to do with this?!?!

ROTFLMAO!

I move in mysterious ways, my wonders to perform......
15th June 2006 11:08 AM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I move in mysterious ways, my wonders to perform......

LOL!

You jump started my morning!

AGAIN!

ROTFLOL!
16th June 2006 12:27 PM
Martha Ok now that I've calmed down and given birth to something?!? thanks Gazza, :-) I must know from those of you in the KNOW as to WHEN, WHERE will we HEAR a cut from Bob's latest effort "Modern Times"?

What typically happens next in record dealio-wheelio land?

WHO (no, no, not you jb...lol) has some ideas or insight on this?

Riffy what do you think?

I wondered if XM Radio might play an introductory cut since they have Bob on their airwaves.

Any thoughts on this?

Gary?

Nasty?

SS?

Anyone?

XM40 deejay is discussing Bob as I post this!

peace out,
MarthaMelodylan

16th June 2006 04:17 PM
Gazza As the album is 10-11 weeks away, I would guess it'll be quite some time before anything is played on the radio. However, advance tapes sometimes leak out or get uploaded. I remember having a 4-track CDR of "Love & theft" a couple of weeks before it came out (going further back, and what seems another age, I remember when 'Infidels' came out in 1983, having a tape of the songs about a month before the album came out. The week that it was released officially, my friend had a 45 minute tape of OUTTAKES - including Blind willie McTell, Foot of Pride etc)

Security seems a bit tighter now. The last Dylan studio album which had outtakes bootlegged was "Oh mercy" in 1989.

meanwhile, heres a bit more from nme.com

”A number of hand-picked journalists were given a playback of the album in New York City last week but were required to sign legal undertakings not to talk about what they heard. One record company source described the album as similar in style to 2001's 'Love & Theft'. Another source claimed the dozen songs include "at least three masterpieces".

”It appears unlikely that any of the new material will feature in the set-list for his imminent UK and European dates. None of the songs from 'Modern Times' were premiered on Dylan's recent US tour, which wound-up in Florida last month.”

Note that it mentions "a dozen" songs. The official press release (which I assume is the accurate one) mentions ten songs.
16th June 2006 04:33 PM
MrPleasant I don't know what to expect since, frankly, Love & Theft doesn't seem great to me.

It's merely good, but so were Tom Waits' and Brian Wilson's last works.
17th June 2006 07:38 AM
MRD8 Gary,
Have you downloaded Crystal Cat's brilliant Brixton Box 10 CD set from DIME yet? It is beyond amazing quality! Just snatched the Cat's Springsteen Milan Seeger Sessions Band CD's last night and it is a treat as well!
17th June 2006 07:52 AM
Gazza Thankfully for my hard drive, some people are torrenting the Brixton shows separately - so I'm certainly going to get the 2 that I attended (nights #1 and 2)...I'll have to get Bruce/Milan as well because I think maybe the original audio wasnt that great...I'm just in the process of downloading the DVD of it!
17th June 2006 08:58 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Thankfully for my hard drive, some people are torrenting the Brixton shows separately - so I'm certainly going to get the 2 that I attended (nights #1 and 2)...I'll have to get Bruce/Milan as well because I think maybe the original audio wasnt that great...I'm just in the process of downloading the DVD of it!

In case you haven't looked, Sweetie
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-...ls.php?id=99842
Official song removed
17th June 2006 09:08 AM
Gazza
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
In case you haven't looked, Sweetie
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-...ls.php?id=99842
Official song removed

Got that, thanks. The song removed is a bonus track from a different show, thankfully

Oh, and for you, MrD and others who may be interested in a good Bruce torrent, someone has uploaded the first of two discs of the fantastic AOL Sessions on Jungleland (for those who are unaware of it, AOL Music are offering an "18 Nights of Bruce" feature from each show of the current tour - with a different song featured from each show, and made available the day after the show took place)

Theres no way dime will allow this torrent, but its on Jungleland :

The site is actually down for maintenance at the minute but heres the link :
http://jungleland.dnsalias.com/
17th June 2006 09:47 AM
Martha Thanks for your insight Gary. I will be chewing my nails a lot waiting to hear a cut. :-) It's good anxiety this time!

MM

17th June 2006 10:03 AM
MRD8 Gary,
The Milan DVD's are an EXCELLENT audience shot...the filmer knew where to shoot for solo's...on a par with the Stones 1-18-06 MSG DVD.
17th June 2006 10:30 AM
Martha
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
Gary,
The Milan DVD's are an EXCELLENT audience shot...the filmer knew where to shoot for solo's...on a par with the Stones 1-18-06 MSG DVD.

Did I read this correctly? 1-18-06 MSG DVD?????? Who's baby do I have to have to get a copy? LOL

You guys and gals are light years ahead of me.......

;-)

MM
17th June 2006 12:08 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Martha wrote:

Did I read this correctly? 1-18-06 MSG DVD?????? Who's baby do I have to have to get a copy? LOL

You guys and gals are light years ahead of me.......

;-)

MM

Sway Sister!! E-mail me your address and I can send you both DVD's from NYC shows. No need to have babies. Your friends have you covered.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)