ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

...You scratch just like a monkey
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Dylan album (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
12th June 2006 05:58 AM
Gazza Confirmed by Sony insiders as to be released on August 29th

Album title is "Modern Times"

(sharing its title with Chaplin's 1936 classic...)

[Edited by Gazza]
12th June 2006 07:46 AM
TomL Hope it's a rockin Dylan.
12th June 2006 08:29 AM
PartyDoll MEG It's new stuff -rockin' or not!! Good news Gazza!!
12th June 2006 08:41 AM
glencar This oughta be good. I didn't get his last 2 until 2004 or so & I love 'em both.
12th June 2006 11:28 AM
time is on my side Great news!! Thanks!!!
12th June 2006 11:33 AM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Confirmed by Sony insiders as to be released on August 29th

[Edited by Gazza]

Gary! You just MADE my year! Hadn't heard the latest on Bob's new album 'til right now! I am jumpin' up and down at the same time! Modern indeed! LOL I can't WAIT to hear what Bob has to say.

This will be released right before Chris and I celebrate our 15th wedding annversary on the 31st. Great timing Bobby! LOL

I hope Bob shows up out here soon!

My day is Made!
Martha!
12th June 2006 11:35 AM
Martha
quote:
TomL wrote:
Hope it's a rockin Dylan.

If Bob won't rock ya'..you are flat out unrockable!

Don't we have a date to see Bob together sometime along the rock and roll road Captain Sway???!!! :-)
12th June 2006 11:35 AM
Martha
quote:
glencar wrote:
This oughta be good. I didn't get his last 2 until 2004 or so & I love 'em both.

I would like very much to nuzzle you!!!!
12th June 2006 11:50 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Martha wrote:

I hope Bob shows up out here soon!

My day is Made!
Martha!

Yeah, word about a new Dylan album always makes my day too. And the title - I love it already and haven't heard a note!

I hope Bob remembers where he left off with his touring - in Florida, about ready to hit the East Coast. Last I saw him was April '04. I'm WAY overdue!

By the way - I can't thank you enough for the Ralph Stanley CD you sent me long ago, the one which has the duet with Bob on "Lonesome River". We've listened to it a million times since we became Stanley Brothers fanatics.

And THAT'S something we owe to Bob, too - remember when he used to do Stanley Brothers covers all the time? "I Am The Man, Thomas", and "White Dove"...I think there may have been others.

Thanks, Bob!
12th June 2006 12:23 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Now if Bob can produce some of his best work in his old age, like many artists, why can't the Stones? Well they can, it's just they need a catalyst....the proverbial lightning bolt.
12th June 2006 12:30 PM
Martha
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Yeah, word about a new Dylan album always makes my day too. And the title - I love it already and haven't heard a note!

I hope Bob remembers where he left off with his touring - in Florida, about ready to hit the East Coast. Last I saw him was April '04. I'm WAY overdue!

By the way - I can't thank you enough for the Ralph Stanley CD you sent me long ago, the one which has the duet with Bob on "Lonesome River". We've listened to it a million times since we became Stanley Brothers fanatics.

And THAT'S something we owe to Bob, too - remember when he used to do Stanley Brothers covers all the time? "I Am The Man, Thomas", and "White Dove"...I think there may have been others.

Thanks, Bob!

Nice shot of Carter FPM! I (very fortunately) got to see the Stanely Brothers thanks to my dearly departed Dad who LOVED them. I also got to see Flatt and Scruggs before they split up long agon...late 60's I believe. I am grateful.

Daddy told me the last time we saw Carter he practically drug his guitar case off stage and walked over to his car and slumped into it. My Dad could see Carter was very ill...and not long after this he passed.

Watch out! Bob may show up in your backyard....he is playing every square inch of the US, right?! :-) My fingers are crossed for you..and me! LOL I want to see him everytime he tours....what can I say?! :-)

Sorry though that you and I have not yet met :-(.....but hopefully that will change....maybe even this year.

I never give up! No way Ronnie!~

xxoo,
Martha!
12th June 2006 12:31 PM
Lazy Bones "Modern Times", eh...

Not that a title makes an album, it just doesn't strike me. Sounds like a piece of art. Ah, ha! Maybe...

The late-summer release date - now that strikes me. Hopefully an introduction to his Fall Eastern US-Canada tour!
12th June 2006 12:32 PM
Martha
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Now if Bob can produce some of his best work in his old age, like many artists, why can't the Stones? Well they can, it's just they need a catalyst....the proverbial lightning bolt.

LOL Perhaps a thunk to the head will do the trick! :-)

Keef is the one who lays down the sound.

:-)
12th June 2006 12:38 PM
Martha
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
"Modern Times", eh...

Not that a title makes an album, it just doesn't strike me. Sounds like a piece of art. Ah, ha! Maybe...

Hey Lazy! The title strikes me....it's just Bob's style. I am ready to hear what he has to say about how "modern" the times are NOT! LOL

I think the times have become self-absorbed, superficial, immature and narcisisstic (
The culture we've created is not my cup of tea...not even close.

Thank goodness for music! It is my saving grace!

peace out,
Martha

12th June 2006 12:43 PM
Martha From the Cleveland OH Rock and Roll Hall of Fame website"

Bob Dylan exhibit

Open from May 20 – September 7, 2006

Few figures in the history of American popular music have reached the status of Bob Dylan. As the man who showed the world that popular music could be classified as art, Dylan has created a distinctly American body of work to match the legacies of Walt Whitman, Louis Armstrong, and his early musical hero, Woody Guthrie.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum will unveil Bob Dylan’s American Journey: 1956-1966. The exhibit will be on the top two floors of the Museum from May 20 – September 4, 2006. The exhibit opening coincides with Dylan’s Birthday. Bob Dylan will turn 65 on May 24, 2006.

Dylan’s lyrics and songs unearth and revitalize the American folk and blues tradition, serving as a key link in the chain that extends from Southern work songs, blues and Anglo American ballads to the many contemporary singer-songwriters for whom Dylan is a main influence. But Dylan’s story is not simply that of a musical evolution. As a public figure and artistic innovator, he has taken and chronicled a journey emblematic of modern America’s own development.

Exhibit explores Dylan’s impact with personal artifacts, listening stations and films The exhibit features more than 150 artifacts, including Dylan’s 1949 Martin 00-19 guitar, typed and handwritten lyrics, rare concert posters and handbills, signed albums, and dozens of photographs. At the center of the exhibit are four films exploring different facets of Dylan’s career, with rare performance footage and interviews with Dylan and other artists. In addition, three viewing stations allow visitors to watch excerpts from the Dylan films Don’t Look Back and Eat the Document, as well as an interview with Dylan himself. Throughout the exhibit space are seven listening stations that enable visitors to hear Dylan’s musical evolution and innovations during this 10-year period.

The exhibit, curated by Experience Music Project, marks the first time the Rock Hall has had an exhibit dedicated to Dylan’s career.
12th June 2006 12:47 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Martha wrote:

Nice shot of Carter FPM! I (very fortunately) got to see the Stanely Brothers thanks to my dearly departed Dad who LOVED them.

Oh. My. GOD.

You saw the STANLEY BROTHERS?????????

I am, for once, SPEECHLESS.

No way would I have appreciated seeing them even if I'd had the chance - it is only with a certain amount of maturity, or old age, or whatever, that I have come to realize that the best "hillbilly" music is every bit as deep and real and great as the best blues music. And the Stanley Brothers produced the best "hillbilly" music ever, imho.

I have a DVD of the Stanley Brothers playing on Pete Seeger's "Rainbow Quest" program in 1965, less than a year before Carter died. I watch their version of the Carter Family's "It Takes A Worried Man" just about every day. It is simple and understated and perfect.

You can see in it that Carter Stanley was a deeply troubled soul, and that behind his friendly banter was a bottomless depression. This sadness was, unfortunately for him, the thing that made their music timeless.

We're going to Clintwood VA to the Dr Ralph Stanley Museum this year for my birthday. It's housed in a 4-story victorian mansion which used to be a funeral home - the one where Carter was laid out in 1966. I'll post a report for you.

12th June 2006 01:09 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Confirmed by Sony insiders as to be released on August 29th

[Edited by Gazza]

Is Lanois producing this one as well? If he is we are sure to get another great Bob album. Seems that Daniel brings out the best in him judging be TOM & LAT.

Riffy
12th June 2006 01:12 PM
FPM C10 Love and Theft was produced by "Jack Frost" - aka Robert Zimmerman.
12th June 2006 01:46 PM
Riffhard
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Love and Theft was produced by "Jack Frost" - aka Robert Zimmerman.

Yes,but Lanois was insurmental in several of those tracks. A couple of the songs were first recorded during the TOM sessions only to be rerecorded and mixed later. I guess my point is that Lanois really got the best out of Bob,as he tends to do with the artists he works with.

I'm sure that the new disk will be great either way. Dylan seems to be on real creative high these last several years. I think that his band is largly responsible for this as well.

Riffy
12th June 2006 01:59 PM
Martha
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Oh. My. GOD.

You saw the STANLEY BROTHERS?????????

Yes...and I feel blessed...no taking that for granted!

I am, for once, SPEECHLESS.

LOL! I understand completely!

No way would I have appreciated seeing them even if I'd had the chance - it is only with a certain amount of maturity, or old age, or whatever, that I have come to realize that the best "hillbilly" music is every bit as deep and real and great as the best blues music. And the Stanley Brothers produced the best "hillbilly" music ever, imho.

I can't say I have a memeory of this event but I know I was there and that's good enough for me....afterall I was a just little girl then. :-)

I have a DVD of the Stanley Brothers playing on Pete Seeger's "Rainbow Quest" program in 1965, less than a year before Carter died. I watch their version of the Carter Family's "It Takes A Worried Man" just about every day. It is simple and understated and perfect.

That may be the year we saw them. I think it was at Mockingbird Hill Park. I'm not 100% sure though. I know we saw Flatt & Scruggs at Mockingbird.

You can see in it that Carter Stanley was a deeply troubled soul, and that behind his friendly banter was a bottomless depression. This sadness was, unfortunately for him, the thing that made their music timeless.

Good insight there Flea. You are surely correct about that. Depression brings about some gorgeous music in certain souls, doesn't it?!

We're going to Clintwood VA to the Dr Ralph Stanley Museum this year for my birthday. It's housed in a 4-story victorian mansion which used to be a funeral home - the one where Carter was laid out in 1966. I'll post a report for you.

Fabulous! I soooo WANT to go there!

PLEASE See if Ralph put the telegram he got from Bob in the museum will you? I hope it is in there on a wall....if so let me know! Have a great time!

Your sister in music,
Maaaaaaaartha!
12th June 2006 02:06 PM
Martha
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Dylan seems to be on real creative high these last several years. I think that his band is largly responsible for this as well.

Riffy

Hey Riffy! Which band? LOL I think the level of creativity Bob is experiencing comes right straight out of him. Though his latest band is awesome, no doubt about that...it is Bob who drives that thing.....which I LOVE to watch....and one of the reasons I have to see him again and again. Bob feels free. :-)
12th June 2006 02:32 PM
justinkurian I believe only Mississippi was a carry-over from the Lanois/Time Out of Mind sessions. It was rerecorded with Dylan producing.

NME picked up the story with some more info:

Bob Dylan names new album
And it's out in August

Bob Dylan's first album of new songs in five years will be called 'Modern Times' and released on August 28, according to an inside source at his US record company, Sony-BMG.

A number of hand-picked journalists were given a playback of the album in New York City last week but were required to sign legal undertakings not to talk about what they heard. One record company source described the album as similar in style to 2001's 'Love & Theft'. Another source claimed the dozen songs include "at least three masterpieces".

It appears unlikely that any of the new material will feature in the set-list for his imminent UK and European dates. None of the songs from 'Modern Times' were premiered on Dylan's recent US tour, which wound-up in Florida last month.
12th June 2006 05:40 PM
Ronnie Richards Excellent news!
There's every reason to be optimistic about this release..

btw, Lanois also produced Oh Mercy - Dylan's best record of the 80s..
12th June 2006 06:07 PM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Now if Bob can produce some of his best work in his old age, like many artists, why can't the Stones? Well they can, it's just they need a catalyst....the proverbial lightning bolt.

Bad Catalyst :

Good Catalyst :

12th June 2006 06:10 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Martha wrote:

Hey Riffy! Which band? LOL I think the level of creativity Bob is experiencing comes right straight out of him. Though his latest band is awesome, no doubt about that...it is Bob who drives that thing.....which I LOVE to watch....and one of the reasons I have to see him again and again. Bob feels free. :-)

Oh yeah you're absolutly correct here Martha. My point was that for the last number of years Bob has hired only top rate muscians and that his concert performances have been a testament to that fact. Not to mention the fact that his his last couple of albums have been nothing short of genius. I am just trying to point out that the muscians that he has surrounded himself with have evidently lit a creative fire inside him. It's all Bob though. No doubt about that.

Riffy
12th June 2006 06:13 PM
Gazza
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Yes,but Lanois was insurmental in several of those tracks. A couple of the songs were first recorded during the TOM sessions only to be rerecorded and mixed later.

Nope...just 'Mississippi' which Bob gave to Sheryl Crow to record and then re-recorded himself for L&T

No coincidence either however that Lanois was in the producer's chair for both of Bob's 'comeback' albums in 1989 and again in 1997 though - Oh Mercy and Time out of Mind.

Theres a great chapter in "Chronicles" about the making of 'Oh Mercy'.

Rick Rubin said in an Uncut interview a couple of months ago that the one artist he'd love to get a call from to work with is Dylan. A collaboration I'd love to see happen - likewise with the Stones, although that'll sadly never happen as Jagger couldnt handle working with someone who wasnt a yes-man during 'Wandering Spirit' and who was a bit taken aback by having a producer tell him that, legend though he is, he was capable of writing better lyrics.
12th June 2006 06:59 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Nope...just 'Mississippi' which Bob gave to Sheryl Crow to record and then re-recorded himself for L&T

No coincidence either however that Lanois was in the producer's chair for both of Bob's 'comeback' albums in 1989 and again in 1997 though - Oh Mercy and Time out of Mind.

Theres a great chapter in "Chronicles" about the making of 'Oh Mercy'.

Rick Rubin said in an Uncut interview a couple of months ago that the one artist he'd love to get a call from to work with is Dylan. A collaboration I'd love to see happen - likewise with the Stones, although that'll sadly never happen as Jagger couldnt handle working with someone who wasnt a yes-man during 'Wandering Spirit' and who was a bit taken aback by having a producer tell him that, legend though he is, he was capable of writing better lyrics.

Really? Well then I stand corrected. I could have sworn I had read that Dylan had collaberated with Lanois prior to actually cutting LAT and that he had actually recorded a few of the songs during the TOM sessions. Oh well I either am remembering what I read wrong,or the article was wrong.

As for Rubin and the Stones. Sadly I fully agree with you here,and the same goes for the Stones working with Lanois. Nice though it would be it'll never happen. Too bad because I really think the Stones could make an incredibly strong album that would shut all the naysayers up if they actually let someone lay down the law in the studio. The Stones are victims of their own success,and Jagger will never allow anyone to question his songs. Keith? Same thing. He'd likely tell anyone to fuck off should they question him about music.

Riffy
12th June 2006 07:08 PM
sirfito Great news!
Thanks,
Fito
12th June 2006 10:17 PM
Soldatti Outstanding news.
13th June 2006 12:19 AM
stonedinaustralia is it just me but i'd say dylan's work with Lanois is great despite that fact not because of it

Oh Mercy and TOM have great songs and the recordings don't sound too bad but there's something in the "Lanois" sound that to me detracts from the sound - there's an atmosphere about it which i find hard to articulate but to my ears it si a little unsatisfying - sorry for not really being able to make my point very well - does anybody see what i'm trying to get at - for example compare the sound of those two with L&T and you may see what i mean

i mean, if Rubin had done OM and TOOM i would have expected a much rawer, earthier (and for me appealing) sound than that which Lanois strives for

having said that he obviously fulfilled the producer's role in getting the best out of the artist i just don't care for his "trademark" sound - (he did the same thing to the Neville Brothers too - Yellow Moon sounded thin and soul-less compared to something like Fiyou on the Bayou
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)