ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mick Jagger in Perú, 1982
Archives: Tomás D'Ornellas, Photo by René Pinedo
From Cucho Peñaloza's book "Los Rolling Stones en Perú"

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick vs Elvis Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
14th June 2004 01:25 AM
polksalad69
quote:
Happy Motherfucker!! wrote:

The King Rules!

14th June 2004 08:18 AM
Honky Tonk Man This is a tough one. In terms as a performer on stage, The 50's Elvis wins hands down. He caused absoloute moral outrage across America with his hip shakin' antics on tv.

I think Mick is great, there is no one who can strut their stuff like him, but I'm FAR more of a Stones fan than a Mick fan.

Alex
14th June 2004 10:29 AM
not bound to please
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Undoubtedly, Elvis is the King.

And for what it's worth...and for as much as I adore Mick...having the pleasure to see Elvis only once, and having seen Mick a gazzillion times...nobody, and I mean NOBODY, puts an audience in a crazed frenzy as Elvis did.

I have yet to attend any concert, or event, that was not audible for the first 10-15 minutes due to non-stop hysterical screaming.

Well, that's hardly a measure. I'm sure you can say the same about any current boy band. The Stones have never really attracted that sort of weirdness on a large scale. Even when Mick was dressing like Carmen Miranda in the mid 70's.

14th June 2004 10:45 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
not bound to please wrote:

Well, that's hardly a measure. I'm sure you can say the same about any current boy band. The Stones have never really attracted that sort of weirdness on a large scale. Even when Mick was dressing like Carmen Miranda in the mid 70's.

Rummy have you ever heard Mick talk about the "teenies" and their high shreiks.
14th June 2004 10:47 AM
F505 Another difference is that Elvis attracts fans and imitators of all kinds of social layers including people of a very low social background... These people don't buy Stones-records.
14th June 2004 10:53 AM
not bound to please

I'd have to say the Stones physical influence resonated /s more quietly, but perhaps deeper. Anyone trying to look like vintage Elvis or Beatles, for instance is obviously being affected, posturing, going for a "look". The early Stones style blended in, infiltrating the general culture.

None of them (E, B, S, and Sinatra) were originals. They took bits and pieces and created their own chimaeras. The Stones sort of blended the scruffy bohemian with 19th century romanticism. They were more based in an identifiable history, not as jarring or "original" seeming, hence the appearance of not being as influential. Perhaps.

Aesthetically, the Stones are better artists. The Beatles are over rated based upon nostalgia and cultural impact. Not to say they don't come in at a close third after Dylan. Or the Stones, but definately third in my not so humble opinion. There is a difference. Elvis was a hell of a singer and performer, and one hell of a great bad movie actor - but he never created beyond interpretation, and well...just BEING Elvis.

14th June 2004 10:54 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

Rummy have you ever heard Mick talk about the "teenies" and their high shreiks.

I said "large scale"

The superblow thread here proves they still have some of that sort of following.

14th June 2004 10:55 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
F505 wrote:
Another difference is that Elvis attracts fans and imitators of all kinds of social layers including people of a very low social background... These people don't buy Stones-records.

Now that's just plain arrogant and silly to say. I can assure you their fans come from all walks of life.
Snappy McJack
quote:
not bound to please wrote:

I said "large scale"

The superblow thread here proves they still have some of that sort of following.

Has Joey rented "1 Night In Paris" yet?
F505 AND he never wrote songs, he is only a performer.
14th June 2004 11:06 AM
not bound to please Where is Joey this morning? Josh is kicking his arse with post totals.

14th June 2004 11:06 AM
F505
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

Now that's just plain arrogant and silly to say. I can assure you their fans come from all walks of life.

Why arrogant? I didn't make a value judgement.
14th June 2004 11:14 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
F505 wrote:
Another difference is that Elvis attracts fans and imitators of all kinds of social layers including people of a very low social background... These people don't buy Stones-records.

"...a very low social background..." ?

Uh yes you did.
14th June 2004 11:15 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
F505 wrote:
AND he never wrote songs, he is only a performer.

I don't recall the Stones writing much of their own material on their first few albums, but they sure could do wonders with others material. I guess these albums shouldn't count, since they didn't write "Carol" "Not Fade Away" "Time is on my side" "little red rooster"
14th June 2004 11:18 AM
Bloozehound All that beautiful slide work by Brian on "Little REd Rooster" all lost, cuz they didn't write the song, such a pity
14th June 2004 11:33 AM
F505
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

"...a very low social background..." ?

Uh yes you did.

Sorry I didn't, it was just a plain observation. Maybe I am wrong in my observation but I didn't say anything negative about people with a very low social background did I? Unless you think that admiring Elvis is something inferior. But that's not my opinion!
14th June 2004 12:04 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
F505 wrote:

You imply that people of "low social background" (aka fans of Elvis) "don't buy Stones-records" and this is nothing but an ignorant and arrogant "value judgement" based on your opinion.

Who are you to judge fans based on social background ? Are you an official ? Show me some credentials then.

How the fuck do you know who buys what ?

quote:
F505 wrote:
Sorry I didn't, it was just a plain observation. Maybe I am wrong in my observation but I didn't say anything negative about people with a very low social background did I? Unless you think that admiring Elvis is something inferior. But that's not my opinion!

You're wrong and your pompous observation was nothing but a value judgement & you're now exposing your guilty conscience over it. I corrected you, fans of both Elvis and the Stones come from all social backgrounds, high to low and back again.
[Edited by Bloozehound]
14th June 2004 12:06 PM
jb Elvis played the West Palm Beach Auditoriun in 77 and I tremember the excitement of him coming to our town....his sheets were auctioned for a charity the next day.
14th June 2004 12:25 PM
F505 Bloozehound you just wanna fight. Go ahead but without me...
14th June 2004 01:17 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Wow, some very interesting and informed observations here. Quite an enjoyable read. It's funny too because I was fully baked on booze when I posted it originally.
14th June 2004 01:19 PM
jb
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Wow, some very interesting and informed observations here. Quite an enjoyable read. It's funny too because I was fully baked on booze when I posted it originally.

Where is Joey?
14th June 2004 01:22 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
Where is Joey?

Working????
14th June 2004 01:24 PM
jb
quote:

Working????

But he always posts from work...I'm worried.
14th June 2004 01:30 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
But he always posts from work...I'm worried.

He's just probably back logged. I get that way quite often. Especially after drinking beers and frittering away time on the internet.
14th June 2004 01:41 PM
jb
quote:

He's just probably back logged. I get that way quite often. Especially after drinking beers and frittering away time on the internet.

I hope that's all it is....I know he was taking friday off..I expected back this morning ...
14th June 2004 01:58 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Where is Joey?

Here I Is !!!!!

Two colleagues on Vacatuion this week !

Friggin Bummer ......Means more work for the Joester !

" The Kid has got this Friday Off AGAIN Ronnie ! "

Burcee !
14th June 2004 02:00 PM
F505 there was a rumour you were fired
14th June 2004 02:02 PM
jb
14th June 2004 02:05 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Joey wrote:
Two colleagues on Vacatuion this week !

Friggin Bummer ......Means more work for the Joester !

Yeah, BUT does anyone actually work at your office?
14th June 2004 02:07 PM
F505 Is there actually an office?
Page: 1 2 3 4