ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Commerzbank Arena, Frankfurt 13th June 2007
© Getty Images with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: sad sad sad Return to archive Page: 1 2
7th June 2007 03:18 AM
MikeyC613
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Question: Why would people that believe the Stones are over / Keith is a joke / they can't even play their own songs etc. etc. still post on a Stones message board and actually give a shit about a band that seems so finished and done according to them?!?

If anyone can answer this, I'll be greatful.

They don't seem finished. They seem wounded. Worse off, they're self-inflicted wounds. I think there is PLENTY of life left in this band, look at Charlie fucking Watts. Keith needs to take care of himself. People are posting these comments I suspect partially because they hope somebody in the Stones camp will notice them and be alarmed by it, and partly because they are sick of paying ridiculous prices to deal with several catastrophes per tour.

Cancer, laryngitis, arthritis, rehab, all acceptable excuses not to perform. But getting piss drunk, realizing there were fuckups, and blaming the show on your bandmates' jitters is fucking bushleague. Keith loathed the same thing about Chuck Berry, saying that if "(Chuck) flubbed a note, he'd blame it on the band. But he has such a powerful personality, that he's managed to get it away with it all these years."

Keith's musical personality seems to be dissappearing, to me anyways. I personally enjoyed when he would rock a solo, or get a smile on his face from a good outro of a song. It doesn't seem like he connects with the other people on stage nearly as much, doesn't get off on playing as much. Which is what made me want to KEEP seeing the Stones perform, that interplay, that work ethic on stage, the skills that he had as a bandleader and a guitarplayer.

I care about that much more so than whatever movie he's in, magazine he's on, or what drinks he's invented. He just seems bored playing with this band, and if that is the case, he should stop. Find something he could put his abilities and focus into. It would be a much greater gift to himself and his fans than to ride the Rolling Stones until the back breaks.
7th June 2007 03:39 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Question: Why would people that believe the Stones are over / Keith is a joke / they can't even play their own songs etc. etc. still post on a Stones message board and actually give a shit about a band that seems so finished and done according to them?!?

If anyone can answer this, I'll be greatful. If you do think it's over, stop wasting your time with it and find a new hobby for crying out loud. That's what I'd do.

Nothing wrong to be critical on a board where some fans justify everything only because they are the Stones. That's not my standard. If you don't like these posts don't read them such as I don't go to Nijmegen because I don't like the contemporary Stones. So I don't waste my time by attending their concerts.
The fact you call it a 'hobby' and not a passion tells it all. For you it may be a hobby, for me the Stones were a passion. And a passion is something you can't give up easily. But thanks for the tip. Maybe I can collect stamps in future.

'
7th June 2007 03:42 AM
BONOISLOVE I like stamps. And Al Pacino. And big breasted women, and

[Edited by VH1]

7th June 2007 03:48 AM
FotiniD
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

Nothing wrong to be critical on a board where some fans justify everything only because they are the Stones. That's not my standard. If you don't like these posts don't read them such as I don't go to Nijmegen because I don't like the contemporary Stones. So I don't waste my time by attending their concerts.

You suggest I shouldn't read the posts if I don't like them, well I just suggested you shouldn't waste your time on the Stones if you don't think they're worth anything anymore... It's one thing being critical and it's a whole different thing being so negative after one bad performance (which, by the way, got mixed reviews anyway and we weren't even there). I don't enjoy or approve of EVERYTHING the Stones do. I've had it with the Vegas act and their lack of any bold decisions in the last ten years (e.g. play more clubs, change the setlist more often, make a blues album, whatever) but I can't blame them for getting old and not playing like they did thirty years ago.

And I can't act surprised and oh-so-shocked about seeing what anyone could have seen coming, after all these years Keith's been abusing his body in any way imaginable.

quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:
The fact you call it a 'hobby' and not a passion tells it all. For you it may be a hobby, for me the Stones were a passion. And a passion is something you can't give up easily. But thanks for the tip. Maybe I can collect stamps in future.

I was being sarcastic!!!
Of course it's passion, otherwise I'd be complaining about not getting my money's worth
[Edited by FotiniD]
7th June 2007 03:51 AM
BONOISLOVE I like money

[this was supposed to be edited, but: what the heck!]
7th June 2007 06:53 AM
deuce I think their sucking more and more lately and I "chose to spend my time here" because they used to be a great, great band. Why do I have to like their current performances to post here?
7th June 2007 07:47 AM
ListenToTheLion [quote]FotiniD wrote:
[It's one thing being critical and it's a whole different thing being so negative after one bad performance.]

One? Wake up (or join Joey in his hammock). This process is going on for several years now.

[And I can't act surprised and oh-so-shocked about
seeing what anyone could have seen coming, after all these years Keith's been abusing his body in any way imaginable.]

I am neither surprised nor shocked but I only draw the conclusion: if Keith is not able to play he should quit.
He is making a disgrace of a band once so great.

[Edited by ListenToTheLion]
7th June 2007 08:17 AM
pagey666.6
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

If anyone can answer this, I'll be greatful. If you do think it's over, stop wasting your time with it and find a new hobby for crying out loud. That's what I'd do.

Simple. It is because we care so much for the band that we post. If we didn't care, we wouldn't be here in the first place. We are all fans and we don't want to see this happen. No matter what the Stones do in the future, we will always be fans because of what they have accomplished in the past - and we want them to continue to be brilliant, write great songs, perform great concerts etc. When it starts to fall apart we need some place to go to talk about it with other fans who understand what we are talking about. If I bemoan how bad their last album was to a non-fan, all they are going to say is; "Well, who cares? They sucked anyway." That's no help. At least here, we can talk to others who might feel the way we do, try to find answers, solutions and so on. Plus it's a way for all of us fans to stay connected with the group when they are performing on the other side of the world from where we may be.

And I agree that it seems to be harsh to judge them on the first concert of this leg of the tour, but to be honest, it has been steadily going downhill for several years. Because we are big fans and have seen the band before and know what they are capable of........this is why this is a big issue.
7th June 2007 08:27 AM
FotiniD
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

One? Wake up (or join Joey in his hammock). This process is going on for several years now.

Well, for every "off" night they've had during these past few years, there've been just as many "on" nights. I still insist that it depends on the expectations one has when attending a Stones gig in the year 2007.

And what's wrong with Joey's hammock?

quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:
I am neither surprised nor shocked but I only draw the conclusion: if Keith is not able to play he should quit.
He is making a disgrace of a band once so great.

Oh then, I see. Well, you're about thirty years late mate, cause if we are to decide whether the Stones should continue or not based on Keith's fuck-ups, they probably should have wraped it up by the late 70's. Unless we like to believe that Keith on a combination of smack, coke and alcohol was always 100% dead on, in all the gigs they ever played.
7th June 2007 08:33 AM
pagey666.6 Part of the problem (besides the age and the substance abuse taking it's toll over the years) is the "vegas" act. With back up singers, horn sections, pianists and so on, it is easier to mask any imperfections in the playing of Keith or Woody. This might have been covering up a lot of faults for years (and let's face it, making the band musically lazy since they didn't have to work so hard) and it's only now that it's becoming blatantly apparent. From what I have seen and heard of the live tours lately (BTB, Licks and BB)Keith doesn't seem to care or just doesn't seem interested in working hard. Just collect the money and move on. THAT'S what is sad to me, since he has always said that the Rolling Stones is his life (and in one memorable quote said that playing guitar was more important to him than his wife and kids.....actual quote, "I love my wife most of the time, I love my kids most of the time, but I love my guitar all the time"). Now it doesn't seem to matter that much to him anymore and it shows in his performances.

I've always thought that Keith was the heart and soul of the Stones, since the sound of the band was focused entirely around his playing. (The Stones as Bill Wyman has said, are the only band in the world that follows the rhythm guitar player instead of the drummer - which is why they sound like they do). And if that 'heart and soul' is not up to the task, then it's obvious that the band is faltering.

I've always tried not to sink into nostalgia, but to me, it seems to be the time to accept it FULLY that the Stones best moments are truely behind them. At least we could hope that they'd come up with some brilliant concerts to match what has come before. It's a shame, because Mick is still singing great and Charlie is brilliant (as usual). But a Lamborghini with a cheap engine in it, is no longer a Lamborghini.........

And yeah, the Stones will still perform some brilliant concerts in the future. And Keith had some bad nights in the 70's when he was smacked and coked out, but even at their worst the Stones were still EXCITING!!!!!! Listen to the boots of the '72 and '78 tours. They were sloppy sometimes, had some bad moments, but it was still an exciting show that left you wanting more. The bad shows are more common now, and they are not exciting - they are shows that make you cringe and go, "Oh shit, what are they thinking?" THAT is a new feeling that I never ever thought I'd have. All the tours since '89 have been a bit too slick for my personal liking - I like the rawness of the older tours, but they were slick and tight and PROFESSIONAL. Some nights it might not be terribly exciting, but it was a tight slick show performed by professionals. In the past few tours, I've noticed that the slickness is falling apart, and it sounds worse than sloppy - it sounds like the band doesn't know what they are doing, forgetting cues, forgetting keys etc.....which now makes it sound raw, but not in a good way like it once did!!!! In fact, go to a bar on a Friday night and you can hear the same songs the Stones play nightly sound much better by bar bands!!!!!! That's depressing.

As fans, we want to be able to brag and boast that our band is the greatest band in the world and kicks ass. Lately, it's much harder to do that........and I think that is why we are all so upset about what is happening.

[Edited by pagey666.6]
[Edited by pagey666.6]
7th June 2007 08:47 AM
FotiniD Since we're using the car metaphor , imo, the Stones "Lamborghini" is still a "Lamborghini", albeit it's been on the road for over 40 years. Even a car would not function as great, even if some of its parts were still stronger than others.

It saddens me too to see Keith sort of shifting the importance off music, which to me is most evident in the fact that he seems to no longer push the other Stones to write more new stuff etc. But he's getting older! Take a look at any 65-year-olds around you and I don't think you'll find many who still enjoy the same stuff they did when they were in their 20's or still deal with them in the same way. It's the laws of nature, and they apply to all, more or less, even if they're in the Rolling Stones.

That said, I'm sure he still digs it. It's just that there are more off nights, more pain (arthritis) and more bad effects of alcohol. Don't forget these guys never really had any "responsibilities" or a 'real' work or something like that, so they're sort of spoiled. Plus, he's come to a point he's got nothing to prove anymore. Add all that up and they can strip you of a lot of your motivation.
7th June 2007 08:57 AM
Jumacfly SADLY THE LAMBORGHINI TURNED INTO A SKODA THOSE LAST YEARS

(BILL PERKS MODE ON)
7th June 2007 09:01 AM
egon
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
SADLY THE LAMBORGHINI TURNED INTO A SKODA THOSE LAST YEARS

(BILL PERKS MODE ON)

Hey!
I drive a Skoda... really.
7th June 2007 10:18 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
SADLY THE LAMBORGHINI TURNED INTO A SKODA THOSE LAST YEARS

(BILL PERKS MODE ON)

Ah I see!

7th June 2007 10:21 AM
Joey
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

Ah I see!

2007 -- BEST STONES YET !!!! .... UN - FRIGGIN - BELIEVABLE STONES !!!!!!

Yes .

7th June 2007 10:42 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Joey wrote:
2007 -- BEST STONES YET !!!! .... UN - FRIGGIN - BELIEVABLE STONES !!!!!!

Yes .

Dream on Joey!

7th June 2007 10:43 AM
BONOISLOVE
7th June 2007 10:54 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
egon wrote:

Hey!
I drive a Skoda... really.

Sorry Bro,let's say a Fiat
7th June 2007 12:16 PM
Dan
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

I like morbidity even more than I like the Stones. Here I get the best of both worlds.
7th June 2007 12:34 PM
voodoopug
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

Dream on Joey!

Whilst in Omaha, I cannot, repeat Ronnie, cannot confirm the presence of a hammock anywhere near young Joey!

He did have a Hawaiian shirt
7th June 2007 01:01 PM
mojoman
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:
I like stamps. And Al Pacino. And big breasted women, and

[Edited by VH1]

guinness?
7th June 2007 02:24 PM
72Tele Keith was as sober as I ever remember seeing him at the last Rock and Roll Hall of Fame dinner and I thought he sounded great. I think the key word is sounded. Because I believe at this point with the arthritis he has been reduced to a player that is about the sound and riffs almost exclusivly. Which lucky for him thats all he needs to be at this point to make most of us happy. He has never been(thank God) a real virtuoso anyway but he has become even less capable now. But he will always have the passion and emotion in his playing to carry the day. But he still needs to be somewhat sober at this point to pull it off.
7th June 2007 02:42 PM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

The market sets the price, if Cohl and Co. are able to get that price for the tickets, then that is the applicable market value of a ticket.

Then it appears theyve misjudged the "market"...
8th June 2007 03:35 AM
egon
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Sorry Bro,let's say a Fiat

8th June 2007 04:58 AM
fanfucker
quote:
egon wrote:

oh bonne Mère!!!
8th June 2007 05:45 AM
egon it's a test clip i made yesterday.
big things will happen on this board on June the 18th
B I G things...
8th June 2007 06:21 AM
fanfucker
quote:
egon wrote:
it's a test clip i made yesterday.
big things will happen on this board on June the 18th
B I G things...

OK, alors, see you soon!!
8th June 2007 06:26 AM
corgi37 If the Stones are playing shit, the remedy is to up the beer & dope intake.
8th June 2007 06:27 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
If the Stones are playing shit, the remedy is to up the beer & dope intake.

Maybe your remedy. Mine is to go to a good concert.
8th June 2007 06:59 AM
egon
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
If the Stones are playing shit, the remedy is to up the beer & dope intake.

check!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)