ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

After party in Buenos Aires, February 23-24, 2006
Thanks Estela
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Ultimate Insult: Eagles Diss Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2
3rd June 2006 07:16 AM
FPM C10 `Eagles' dismiss Stones comparison

LONDON: Legendary rock band The Eagles say that their money making tour does not mean that they have "sold out" like The Rolling Stones.

According to contactmusic.com, the band broke up in 1980 and they are now upset that their reunion tours have been attacked by The Rolling Stones.

Singer Don Henley says: "We are a brand a bit like the Stones. But we haven't exploited it in that way. We've never sold our name or our music for commercials for a product, and we're very proud of that."

"Which is not to say we may not do it in the future, but I think (The Stones) have gone a little bit further down that road", the singer said.

"I mean, I remember when we first started elevating our ticket prices, one of them - I'm not naming names, but it wasn't Mick - saying in an interview in Rolling Stone magazine, 'Well, how much do you want to pay for nostalgia?'" Don said.

3rd June 2006 07:42 AM
MissJaneDoe
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

"I mean, I remember when we first started elevating our ticket prices, one of them - I'm not naming names, but it wasn't Mick - saying in an interview in Rolling Stone magazine, 'Well, how much do you want to pay for nostalgia?'" Don said.

Is this true though? If it is, then I don't blame the Eagles for being pissed. Pot and kettle.
3rd June 2006 07:52 AM
corgi37 I dont care if this is true. I dont care if the Eagles are right.

They are evil and MUST be stopped. They have ruined music more than enough for the world.
3rd June 2006 08:12 AM
lotsajizz ...but Joe Walsh is cool

3rd June 2006 08:51 AM
theanchorman I like the Eagles only because of Joe Fucing Walsh - who is one of America's most underrated guitarists...

But I don't think Henley was dissing them that bad there - but at least the Stones shake up their setlists from tour to tour - The Eagles have been doing the exact same setlist night after night since they reunited in 1995....And Henley is a gasbag anyway.

IMO - none of these people that have spoken out are really entitled to say a goddamned word because they can't be mentioned in the same breath as the Stones. End of Story.

On a side note - I'm looking forward to seeing the James Gang (with Joe Walsh) this summer....
3rd June 2006 09:52 AM
mac_daddy
a few facts:

1 - that is a true quote, and iirc, mick was the one who said it.

2 - henley is a windbag, and nobody really pays any attention to him anymore.

3 - slagging mick gets don henley in the press (where he wouldnt have been otherwise). see also fact #2

4 - the eagles are truly awful, and they should be stopped

3rd June 2006 09:56 AM
Some Guy unacceptable
3rd June 2006 09:57 AM
Mel Belli I saw this over at Shidoobee. I think Henley's comments were fairly nuanced, and hard to disagree with.
3rd June 2006 10:14 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
I saw this over at Shidoobee. I think Henley's comments were fairly nuanced, and hard to disagree with.

true, and i think ron said that thing about nostalgia
3rd June 2006 10:18 AM
Nellcote I can handle about 3 Eagles songs, just for pure musicianship, Already Gone comes to mind as one, i've already forgotten the others because the Eagles are now only for listening to when you are between floors 10 & 11 of a skycraper.
Henley is such a putz, he can't even put out new product, by himself or with a band, and he's complaing the Stones sell out.
Sell out is in the eyes of the beholder.
I've got a Wicked Pissah!! Jovan Cologne poster from '81 that my clients enjoy daily in my office, I'll take sell out anytime.

3rd June 2006 11:09 AM
hellobeatle How can Henley even compare the Eagles to the Stones... It's the Eagles, they have like 2 or 3 real classic tunes, meanwhile the Stones have what, at least 40 CLASSIC songs, not to mention 100s of real good songs...
3rd June 2006 11:13 AM
sirmoonie I can't put in words how sickened and outraged I am by this. It doesn't get any worse than the Eagles. Putrid filth of the lowest order.

Oh and Jane? Its over unless you delete that heinous post. No more phone sex at 2am, no more photos. Over.
3rd June 2006 11:19 AM
PNiem Tom Waits

"Naw - I don't like the Eagles. They're about as exciting as watching paint dry. Their albums are good for keeping the dust off your turntable and that's about all."

see why: http://www.keeslau.com/TomWaitsSupplement/Interviews/76-jun5-nme.htm
3rd June 2006 11:19 AM
MissJaneDoe
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
I can't put in words how sickened and outraged I am by this. It doesn't get any worse than the Eagles. Putrid filth of the lowest order.

Oh and Jane? Its over unless you delete that heinous post. No more phone sex at 2am, no more photos. Over.

It doesn't get any worse? It's not like Yanni was talking smack about them. Or Jessica Simpson said "oh my god, they're like so totally old". Hm, probably because she doesn't know who the Rolling Stones are.

It's over when I say it's over!

3rd June 2006 11:21 AM
caro
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
`We've never sold our name or our music for commercials for a product, and we're very proud of that."

"Which is not to say we may not do it in the future

I really like that part!
3rd June 2006 11:40 AM
sirmoonie This is the only time in my life I wish I was a Mullah - so I could issue one of them fatwas on the Eagles! Eagle music must die! Die!!
3rd June 2006 12:04 PM
gorda Actually, I like the Eagles. Good music.
3rd June 2006 12:15 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
gorda wrote:
Actually, I like the Eagles. Good music.

Actually, I don't give a shit about their extremmely commercial music that's why I don't care about their comments
3rd June 2006 12:24 PM
star star biggest load of radio-friendly unit shifting bullshit...plus on his own Henley wrote "Boys of Summer" which has to win the vote for the cheesiest, campest outing of all time, and to boot it was remixed as a "dance" track by "DJ Sammy" that must have been the icing on the cake for that song
3rd June 2006 12:59 PM
mark One of the most lame-assed drummers of all times.
3rd June 2006 01:14 PM
Riffhard If this thread were toilet paper I'd wipe my ass with it.

That is all.

Riffy
3rd June 2006 01:16 PM
MissJaneDoe
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
If this thread were toilet paper I'd wipe my ass with it.

That is all.

Riffy

Please don't waffle on the subject! Come on, make your opinion clear.
3rd June 2006 02:39 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Just a few rambling thoughts on the Eagles. Personally I find them boring most of the time. And Henley is kind of buffoonish. Having said that I think the Eagles bashing is always a bit overblown. Now, Macca bashing I can understand. But the Eagles bashing is pure "rock-snobism", amusing yes...but an absurdity.
3rd June 2006 02:44 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Just a few rambling thoughts on the Eagles. Personally I find them boring most of the time. And Henley is kind of buffoonish. Having said that I think the Eagles bashing is always a bit overblown. Now, Macca bashing I can understand. But the Eagles bashing is pure "rock-snobism", amusing yes...but an absurdity.

Eagle bashing is the absolute duty of every Stones fan.
3rd June 2006 02:53 PM
pdog
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Eagle bashing is the absolute duty of every Stones fan.

If I ever hear you sing an Eagles tune again I will Jihad your ass!
3rd June 2006 03:34 PM
Prodigal Son Gosh I detest thre Eagles too. 10% for their lame music, 90% for their lame "legend" as some kind of amazing classic rock band to go down in the pantheon of American history! Anyone who finds stuff like "One of These Nights," "Best of My Love" and "I Can't Tell You Why" to be better than "Brown Sugar," "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Gimme Shelter" (or a rotation of a few hundred more Stones tunes) simply has a tin ear and is not worth talking to seriously about music. That being said, some Eagles songs are decent ("Lyin Eyes," "Already Gone," "Take it Easy" which funnily enough they didn't pen-Jackson Browne did. Also, I like "Tequila Sunrise," "Hotel California," and some of Joe Walsh's stuff that doesn't suck too). But overall, on my list of memorable artists they aren't even close to being on par with minor long ago bands like Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels or even Johnny "Secret Agent Man" Rivers.
3rd June 2006 04:40 PM
Joey
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
...but Joe Walsh is cool

He was born in Wichita Kansas and got along famously with Randy Meisner ( born / raised in Nebraska ) .

Jacky !
4th June 2006 11:00 AM
MrPleasant The debut Eagles album is inoffensive cheese wheeze. Hardly offensive (if taken with three thousand beers).
4th June 2006 06:11 PM
Bruno
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:

But overall, on my list of memorable artists they aren't even close to being on par with minor long ago bands like Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels or even Johnny "Secret Agent Man" Rivers.

There´s a Johnny Rivers cd here wich I like VERY much. He had a amazing voice.
4th June 2006 08:08 PM
texile but i love peaceful easy feeling....
and tequila sunrise...

actually, i don't think henley was really slamming the stones -
if the stones did criticize the eagles, well, the stones are the blackest pot....
the stones, in ther youth - were extremely contemptuous and easy with thier putdowns - ESPECIALLY jagger...
remember jagger mocking elvis for being a 'parody' at age 40? he was cruel.
he's had to choke on those words several times over.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)