ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Lynn!
Backstage with Chris Farlowe
© 1982 Lynn Goldsmith
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A Question About Guinness Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
May 18th, 2005 03:18 PM
Honky Tonk Man Tonight, my tiple of choice is Guinness Original. Now, at the off licence I was faced with this and cans of Guiness draught. Now, I know along with Guinness Extra Cold, It's what you get in the pub, but what I'm really asking is what is Guinness Original? What is the difference between this fine beverage and the other two?

Many thanks

Alex
May 18th, 2005 04:38 PM
Madafaka The main difference (and maybe the only one) is the name. Is all about mkt!
May 18th, 2005 05:13 PM
Joey

!!!!

May 18th, 2005 05:24 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Joey wrote:

!!!!

Hey Joey! I bought a pork pie hat. Now, I look just like Ferdie when I'm selling leapers to white guys.
May 18th, 2005 05:42 PM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Hey Joey! I bought a pork pie hat. Now, I look just like Ferdie when I'm selling leapers to white guys.

Moonie ............................

I hear you can make ' good sales ' at all those illegal boxing matches going on in the ' secret rooms ' located behind the bars .

W- W- W- W- What ?!?! .... Oh , sure ! :

Quadrophenia: n. personality split into four separate facets: advanced state of schizophrenia; twice the normal accepted medical level condition; inability to control which facet is foremost at any one time.
Quadrophenic: adj. extremely volatile state of mind; a condition of today.

"Mod-ism... an aphorism for clean living under difficult circumstances" Peter Meaden.

Visit www.quadrophenia.net

[ Edited by Baby Steelie ]
[Edited by Joey]
May 18th, 2005 07:57 PM
sirmoonie Oh! Oh! Oh! Bitching color version of Quad! Where did you get that? It blows doors!
May 19th, 2005 01:25 AM
T&A in the pubs in Ireland you get a choice of Extra Cold or Regular - regular is the way to go, always.
May 19th, 2005 02:10 AM
tomk Stella, please.
May 19th, 2005 02:15 AM
Bloozehound gimmie some guiness, whisky and a good cigar and I'm satisfied
May 19th, 2005 02:43 AM
Voodoo Scrounge There are a few types of guiness. Here is a basic run down of the differences.

Guiness Original - Brewed at St James' gate in Ireland. As its name suggests, original.

Guiness Draught - Only available in cans. The can has a small plastic ball inside which rolls around the can as your pour and flattens the guiness to give it more of a pub taste.

Guiness Extra Cold - Still brewed at st James' gate. It is simply run through and extra set of chilling pipes in the pub where you bought it. This makes it a few degrees colder. No extra chemicals and no real difference. Should be the same price.

Guiness Export - Brewed in NIGERIA by the Guiness corporation. It comes over here in bottle and is a lot stronger. Brewed in Nigeria because of ABV (Alcohol By Volume) laws.

If your wondering how I know all this. Its because I used to work in an Irish pub in London. And they insist you know your guiness.
Cant stand the stuff myself
May 19th, 2005 04:09 AM
Zeeta Guiness Original - the type you would get in our off licences in UK is good. No point in buying draft stuff from a can it mings!

Its refreshing and not as creamy as stuff you get on tap.

I like them and had a craze on them a few months back in the winter...
May 19th, 2005 05:28 AM
Honky Tonk Man Thank you everyone for the great responses.

I'm glad I got Guinness Original anyway, It was cheaper!
May 19th, 2005 06:01 AM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:

Guiness Draught - Only available in cans. The can has a small plastic ball inside which rolls around the can as your pour and flattens the guiness to give it more of a pub taste.

That plastic ball is called a widget. More useless trivia.

I had a Guinness on St. Paddy's Day and now remember that I'm not too fond of the stuff either. Harp's is a nice quaff though!
May 19th, 2005 06:19 AM
sirmoonie Real men drink Guiness.
May 19th, 2005 06:30 AM
egon you also have guiness which is much stronger than the original stuff (its either called export or original)

it's very different grom the regular stuff and tastes horrible.

and as far as i know it is not from nigeria, but brewed in ireland.
[Edited by egon]
May 19th, 2005 06:37 AM
Honky Tonk Man Guinness Original is quite weak. It's only 4.2% Is that the strenght of Guinness Draught.

My freinds are quite embarressed by me at the moment. Firstly, because I have started to smoke roll ups in their company and now the Guinness. They say it's an "old mens drink!"

btw, stewed and Keefed can vouch that when in the pub with him, I'm a Stella man!
May 19th, 2005 06:41 AM
egon stella sucks big hairy balls.
that shit is full of chemicals.
stay away from it.

but you can never go wrong with a guiness (or 2)

Still, nothing and i do mean NOTHING beats a draft heineken in holland.
May 19th, 2005 06:55 AM
Honky Tonk Man Hey Egon!

You are very right about Stella. Over here we call it WIFE BEATER!

Heineken is a fine beer indeed. Up until a year or so ago, all that was available over here was Heineken Cold Filter. It was watered down dishwater. Now we have Heineken Export. A beautiful pint. I sip it regularly.

I used to only drink double vodka and Coke, and then I switched to Fosters (another dish water beer). Now ANYTHING goes. Grolch is nice followed by vodka and orange.
May 19th, 2005 06:59 AM
egon yeah heineken dischwater, what was that all about????

grolsch is another fine dutch beer. (we do talk about the 5pct one, right?), though a bit 'heavy'.

don't mind fosters either. it's an 'honest' beer.
(as in stella is NOT).

then again, as the evening progessesseses, i tend to be less picky.

i'm thirsty all of a sudden!
May 19th, 2005 07:16 AM
Honky Tonk Man What I said about Heineken is true enough. The Cold Filter version is all that used to be available to us.... I think. Yes, we have the glorious 5% version now!

Grolch is quite heavy, you are right there. It's nice enough though.

I go back to Fosters now and again, but after drinking premium strenth lager, I find it a let down. You can get Fosters Export over here, but It doesn't taste right to me.

Want to know the worst beer? Kronenborg! I hate the taste and I get absoloutley pissed out of my mind on it.

Firsty eh? I have two cans of Guinness left in the fridge!
May 19th, 2005 07:46 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Now this is a thread I would like to see more of. Drinking ones. Lets see...
Heineken is a disgrace. The cold filter is weak as cats piss and the Export plain tastes like cats piss.

Fosters. Well all the Aussies ever go on about over here in the UK is how weak our beer is. Well thanks for solving the problem Australia! You give us the weakest, wateriest lager in the world.

Stella has a chemical in it called Craoline, or something like that, which stimulates the bodies gland that produces testosterone. Every lager has it, but Stella has an awful lot more of it. This means that when drunk (Excuse the pun) on a regular basis, it increases testosterone levels and makes you believe you can take on the world...or...you wife (hence "Wife Beater").

Kronenburg is just like Stella, too strong, too many chemicals leading to a nasty hangover.

Grolsch is similar in taste to Stella but doesnt have the chemicals. Can be a bit too heavy as you boys have pointed out.

Staropramen is a very strong Czech lager. Pure lager drinkers lager. Refreshing, tangy, strong enough to know when youve had three or four and light.

Coors Fine Light is the best lager in the world. It is Fine (Not heavy), Light (Not heavy) and lager. And at 5.3%abv, its stronger than Stella withouth the chemicals. Can be a bit pricy though.

Carling is a very light, refreshing English lager. Cheap and not a bad old drop either.

There we go. What do you make of that. A3nd theres a few more where they came from.
May 19th, 2005 08:01 AM
Scottfree
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
There are a few types of guiness. Here is a basic run down of the differences.

Guiness Original - Brewed at St James' gate in Ireland. As its name suggests, original.

Guiness Extra Cold - Still brewed at st James' gate. It is simply run through and extra set of chilling pipes in the pub where you bought it. This makes it a few degrees colder. No extra chemicals and no real difference. Should be the same price.

Guiness Export - Brewed in NIGERIA by the Guiness corporation. It comes over here in bottle and is a lot stronger. Brewed in Nigeria because of ABV (Alcohol By Volume) laws.

If your wondering how I know all this. Its because I used to work in an Irish pub in London. And they insist you know your guiness.
Cant stand the stuff myself

You overlooked Kaliber......
May 19th, 2005 08:04 AM
Voodoo Scrounge No alcohol. No mention
May 19th, 2005 08:11 AM
T&A I came back from my second tour of Ireland in 10 months (5 weeks total) the other day with very good knowledge about where the best pints are to be had. I also have canvassed the island for the best Irish Whisky's - brought home about $600 worth. Any questions, I'll be happy to help. Fave is still Midleton - but with a hefty tag of $150/bottle.
[Edited by T&A]
May 19th, 2005 08:13 AM
Gazza
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:

its GUINNESS , you bastard!!!
May 19th, 2005 08:14 AM
Gazza
quote:
T&A wrote:
I came back from my second tour of Ireland in 10 months (5 weeks total)

May 19th, 2005 08:17 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Well it should be guines

Pointless extra letters
!!!
May 19th, 2005 08:22 AM
egon never ever touch carlsberg elephant.
it makes a grown man cry.
or at least makes you talk absolute shite,
and gives you the mother of all hangovers.
pure evil.
May 19th, 2005 09:02 AM
Honky Tonk Man Great work Voodoo Scrounge!

You nailed it on the head about Fosters, though like I said, there is an Export version. Maybe this is what the Aussies drink down under. It's around 4.9% I think.

Kronenborg is vile. I went to this really shitty pub a week or two ago and guess what?! The choices for lager were this and cats piss (Fosters)! I had five pints of Kronenborg and ended up being sick all over my bedroom floor. At least Stella doesn't do that to me. No, Stella just makes me loopy!

I'm not an alcoholic, but I'm not one of these people who can go to the pub and just have a couple. I always need to get merry
May 19th, 2005 09:17 AM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Real men drink Guiness.

http://www.italie.nl/vrijwilligers/elza/vespa/quadrophenia.jpg
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)