ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy Birthday Charlie!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Latrobe, PA Humiliated. Rolling Rock Deleted! -- A Very Sad Drinking Thread. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
19th May 2006 06:43 PM
Highwire Rob Latrobe, PA Humiliated. Rolling Rock Deleted! -- A Very Sad Drinking Thread.

Whatever your taste in beer, this is devastating news to my area. Latrobe's identity is inextricably intertwined with Mr. Rogers, Arnie Palmer, Saint Vincent College [my alma mater where the monks brewed the original recipe ], town's claim to the very first "professional" football game, the invention of the banana split, Steelers Training Camp, and the historic Rolling Rock brewery.

Now it's definite: Anheuser-Busch is taking the recipe and name and hauling it out of town. Besides the job losses and havoc wreaked on municipal finances, Latrobe's worldwide identity and very ethos has been torn asunder.

A great town like Latrobe did not deserve this humiliation!

33 Tears from,

Highwire Rob.
19th May 2006 06:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot I hear ya Rob. It sucks. No way around it. It just flat out sucks.

I think all Pennsylvanians are mourning the loss. It was one of the very few really good things that we have here in PA.

Do you know when the switch will take place? As soon as they switch, I'm gonna quit buying it.

We still have Yuengling though....
19th May 2006 06:53 PM
glencar Sad news. Latrobe still has Arnie though.
19th May 2006 07:03 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, who woulda thought that Arnie would have outlived Rolling Rock.

I know that Bud says it's gonna use the same recipe...but are they gonna buy the same yeast and hops? Are they gonna use the same water? Probably not. It just won't be the same.

19th May 2006 07:09 PM
Spru Yep, I'm from the area and I feel the loss as well.
19th May 2006 07:56 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I hear ya Rob. It sucks. No way around it. It just flat out sucks.

I think all Pennsylvanians are mourning the loss. It was one of the very few really good things that we have here in PA.

Do you know when the switch will take place? As soon as they switch, I'm gonna quit buying it.

Sir Stonesalot,

I completely agree with you. My father and I both enjoy the Yuengling brews. The Lager and Porter are our favorites. Imposter Rolling Rock shall be henceforth deleted from my beer list.

As for the switch date, I'm going to listen again to our local news tonight. The 6 o'clock news had the breaking story (that had been speculated on for weeks). I've done some web searches on the Tribune-Review and Post-Gazette Websites but even they have not posted the latest.

It is great to see there were some 33 supporters on Rocks Off.
19th May 2006 08:10 PM
MrPleasant Hey... don't be sad. A name is just a fucking name. I can call myself anything I want to; I can call myself Mick Jagger and bang every hot chick in the town. After that, I would tell them that I am Mick Jagger.
19th May 2006 08:15 PM
pdog Is Arnie the pig from Green Acres?
19th May 2006 08:16 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
pdog wrote:
Is Arnie the pig from Green Acres?

LOOK OUTSIDE YOUR WINDOW!!!!!

No, seriously.

Nah
19th May 2006 08:16 PM
Sir Stonesalot No no, Mr. P...the name will stay the same. It's the PRODUCT that will change...and NOT for the better.

I mean, it's gonna be made by the dipshits that make Budweiser for fuck sake.

GAK!!

I'm gonna take my kid to see the Rolling Rock Brewery before they shut it down.
19th May 2006 08:18 PM
Sir Stonesalot Fuck You Pfag.

19th May 2006 08:18 PM
pdog
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

LOOK OUTSIDE YOUR WINDOW!!!!!

No, seriously.

Nah

It's raining, in May, in Calif. This is wrong!
19th May 2006 08:19 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
pdog wrote:
Is Arnie the pig from Green Acres?

YINZ ALL WILL NOT BE GREETED!

19th May 2006 08:21 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
No no, Mr. P...the name will stay the same. It's the PRODUCT that will change...and NOT for the better.

I mean, it's gonna be made by the dipshits that make Budweiser for fuck sake.

GAK!!

I'm gonna take my kid to see the Rolling Rock Brewery before they shut it down.

I SEE. IT'S LIKE GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY INSTEAD OF WANDERING SPIRIT.
19th May 2006 08:25 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah...sorta.

Except Rolling Rock doesn't suck.
19th May 2006 08:28 PM
MrPleasant I DEMAND TO HAVE SOME BOOZE!!!!
19th May 2006 08:29 PM
sirmoonie A very sad day in the drinking community. My thoughts and prayers go out to boozers the world over.
19th May 2006 08:34 PM
Highwire Rob Sir Stonesalot,

When you visit the brewery in Latrobe let me recommend Dino's Sport's Lounge for lunch or dinner. They are located on Rte 30 just East of the Latrobe airport. Dino maintains a very pleasant family dining atmosphere--plenty of sports fan activity with delicious sandwiches and truly award-winning wings.
19th May 2006 08:34 PM
pdog Even in my world of sobriety this hangs so heavy in my heart!
It's that bad!
19th May 2006 08:39 PM
Riffhard I have it on very good authority that Rolling Rock will stay identical as it is now. AB is NOT changing a thing. No sweat either way as far as I'm concerned as I find Rolling Rock to be about three steps shy of horse piss,but for all you PA living Rolling Rock fans fear not. AB is not changing the recipe at all. Don't be a pansy and not drink it just because AB bought them out! Like it or not Bud is the number one beer in the world! They can only help old 33 in the long run.

As for best beers. Ummm,well that list is far too long to list here,but Rolling Rock is not on it at all. Guinness is though! That's fo sho! As is any Sam Adams beer with the exception of Cherry Wheat. I,like Essy,feel that fruit should be served on a plate not in a glass. Newcastles are great. I love me some Sierra Nevadas too!

Riffy
19th May 2006 08:42 PM
pdog I'm a Teenage Deletemy !!!
19th May 2006 09:25 PM
mmdog
The biggest question is whether or not, they still brew it in Latrobe. Anybody know for sure?
19th May 2006 09:28 PM
BONOISLOVE I just wrote a country song, out of the blue. The chorus goes something like, "Thank you for your wine, Bono the master; thannk you for your sweet sweet perfume". I'm thinking about calling it "the thank you, Bono! country song". What do you think? Don't think!, just thank me!!!
19th May 2006 09:34 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:
I just wrote a country song, out of the blue. The chorus goes something like, "Thank you for your wine, Bono the master; thannk you for your sweet sweet perfume". I'm thinking about calling it "the thank you, Bono! country song". What do you think? Don't think!, just thank me!!!

Fuck u. You're a stupid asshole.

(On second thought: DON'T FUCK!!)
19th May 2006 09:36 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:
I just wrote a country song, out of the blue. The chorus goes something like, "Thank you for your wine, Bono the master; thannk you for your sweet sweet perfume". I'm thinking about calling it "the thank you, Bono! country song". What do you think? Don't think!, just thank me!!!

HUG WITH AN UGH: THAT'S PASSION HUG FOR U. FOR U2!!!
19th May 2006 09:43 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
mmdog wrote:

The biggest question is whether or not, they still brew it in Latrobe. Anybody know for sure?

mmdog, the brewery is absolutely, positively to be put on the market for sale. Perhaps another brewer/microbrewer will buy it.

But sadly, no more Rolling Rock will be brewed there. A-B will have the name and recipe.
19th May 2006 09:52 PM
Sir Stonesalot >A-B will have the name and recipe.<

And it won't be made in PA anymore. And I hate A-B.

So they can make whatever they want and put it in those green bottles...I won't buy it.

PS. Thanks for the tip Rob. I'll give Dino's a try.

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
19th May 2006 10:06 PM
Nellcote Red Sox Beat Phils, sorry to add to the PA misery...
19th May 2006 10:17 PM
Ten Thousand Motels As long as The King of Beers continues to exist, I could care less about those lesser beers.

BTW I saw some hammerhead on "Who wants to be a Millionaire" the other day who didn't know what a boiler maker was. He had to ask the audience. I was appalled!
19th May 2006 10:32 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Yep, Yuengling is great. And we still have Iron City until they finally get shut down for not paying their water bill in 30 years.

Seriously though this is horrible news. Theres nothing like a cold Rock on a summer evening. I don't really know of any similar beer to fill that niche. I too will be done buying it when the buy-out goes through. Better stock up on some cases now...
[Edited by HardKnoxDurtySox]
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)