ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy Birthday Charlie!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Latrobe, PA Humiliated. Rolling Rock Deleted! -- A Very Sad Drinking Thread. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
19th May 2006 11:23 PM
Highwire Rob Just caught this local news:

The Latrobe Brewery's owner, InBev has until July 31 to find a buyer. In interviews, PA Governor Ed Rendell--not sounding too optimistic--confirmed that there have been a "couple of feeler" inquiries from unnamed beer companies for a purchase of the brewery building. For the sake of the local workers, I hope they have some future job to go to.

A-B will start brewing A-B "Rolling Rock" in August.
19th May 2006 11:23 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Better stock up on some cases now...<

Not yet. I'll stock up when they say that it's the last day before the shut down. THEN I'll stock up.

If I stock up now....I'll just drink it all before the drop dead date.

You know what is fun? Lining up 3 Rolling Rock pony bottles, and slammin' 'em down 1-2-3. Good clean wholesome fun there bro...
19th May 2006 11:26 PM
Maxmeister
quote:
HardKnoxDurtySox wrote:

Yep, Yuengling is great. And we still have Iron City until they finally get shut down for not paying their water bill in 30 years.

Seriously though this is horrible news. Theres nothing like a cold Rock on a summer evening. I don't really know of any similar beer to fill that niche. I too will be done buying it when the buy-out goes through. Better stock up on some cases now...
[Edited by HardKnoxDurtySox]

Talk about 180 degrees. Yuengling lager is excellent but Iron City is truly one of the nastiest piss waters I have ever consumed. Even when I was a kid and money or the lack thereof often controlled what I drank, that pisswater would never cross my lips.
It's a sad day again when another small brewery gets gobbled up by a behometh.
A keg of Newcastle will be the brew of choice at my small party tomorrow. No bedtime until that baby floats.

Rick
19th May 2006 11:29 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
HardKnoxDurtySox wrote:

Yep, Yuengling is great. And we still have Iron City until they finally get shut down for not paying their water bill in 30 years...

LOL -- That's so true HardKnox. And I just heard IC is introducing the Jerome Bettis cans! (with bottles to follow).

GET YER ICE COLD BETTIS BEER!!!!
19th May 2006 11:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot I can't believe you are having a party and didn't invite me.

What...my lasagne wasn't good enough for ya!?!

Have fun at your little "party"...while I sit at home with nothing to do.....
19th May 2006 11:35 PM
Maxmeister
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I can't believe you are having a party and didn't invite me.

What...my lasagne wasn't good enough for ya!?!

Have fun at your little "party"...while I sit at home with nothing to do.....

Hey, the open invite is still well.......open. I made the trip to PA. last year, now it's your turn.
BTW, that fine lasagna washed down with one or two? Yuenglings was one of the true highlights of my trip.
If the Stones don't do the U.S. this fall, we need to come up with a plan B.

Rick
19th May 2006 11:43 PM
Sir Stonesalot I don't know if I can bring myself to go to Texas....no offense.
19th May 2006 11:50 PM
FPM C10 Yuengling really is good stuff.

Rolling Rock was like $3.50 a case when I was in high school, and you only drank it if you couldn't afford real beer. Of course "real beer" in the 70s meant Bud or Schlitz or some other noxious swill I wouldn't dream of drinking now.

20th May 2006 06:32 PM
Bloozehound as a lifelong professional beer drinker and man of high standards of booze etiquette and hapstance of style it saddens me to learn of this development

AB will fuck it up, like they fuck all their beers up

R I P Rolling Rock
20th May 2006 06:54 PM
gimmekeef Sad day for Latrobe...as a beer drinker its tough to see another old brewery go.Whether you like the taste or not its never good when local institutions go down.Wish I could get some new Iron City Jerome Bettis Bus Beer!..
21st May 2006 08:41 AM
corgi37 Oh, you funny Americans. You dont drink beer. You just THINK you do.

No one can seriously call your cats piss beer.

But then again, you say "Mom" instead of "Mum", you have to own 20 guns to feel good, you say "erb", when it really is "herb", you make a dessert pie out of fucking pumpkin (and what the fuck is yam?), and dont even get me started on Ron Jeremy.
21st May 2006 08:54 AM
GotToRollMe I think I did a rehab stint in Latrobe back in '88.
21st May 2006 10:54 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Oh, you funny Americans. You dont drink beer. You just THINK you do.

But then again, you say "Mom" instead of "Mum", you have to own 20 guns to feel good, you say "erb", when it really is "herb", you make a dessert pie out of fucking pumpkin (and what the fuck is yam?), and dont even get me started on Ron Jeremy.

Hey corgi..go shove a Fosters up yer Aussie ass...lol...Drink up mate!
21st May 2006 10:58 AM
ketvos As a Pittsburgher who drinks Rolling Rock, I will now start crying...

Tis a shame.
21st May 2006 01:46 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Oh, you funny Americans. You dont drink beer. You just THINK you do.

Corgi, I am deeply insulted! I thought our Greensburg, PA area here had a fine relationship with the Aussies. We are spiritual home to Hutton Gibson. Considering that the Pope has reassigned our Pittsburgh Bishop Donald W. Wuerl to D.C.; we prophesied that Mel would be our Messiah--he shall vanquish Master Blaster--I tell you--and free us all!

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to smoke some more 'erb and down an 'ole vegemite sandwich with a couple bottles of Yuengling.

Mel Gibson Building Church for Dad

quote:
GREENSBURG, Pa.- Hollywood actor/director Mel Gibson is building a church in rural Pennsylvania reportedly for an ultraconservative Roman Catholic congregation.

Gibson put up the money at the request of his father, Hutton Gibson, 87, who has been driving three hours each week from his Summersville, W.Va., home because there was no church of his liking near his home, the Pittsburgh Tribune reported Wednesday.

St. Michael the Archangel Chapel is being built in Pennsylvania's Mt. Pleasant Township. The church is part of a Catholic movement that rejects Vatican II -- the liturgical reforms adopted in the early 1960s.

The Gibsons have chosen as their church leader a former priest who is no longer in good standing with the Catholic Diocese of Greensburg, Pa., the newspaper said.

The Rev. Lawrence Persico, vicar general of the Diocese of Greenburg, told the Tribune the Gibsons' church would not be recognized as Roman Catholic.

"A Catholic church, to be truly in communion with Rome, must be in communion with the diocesan bishop," Persico said. "I don't know where they get their legal authority. It's not a Roman Catholic church, no matter what they say.

"Union with Rome and the Holy See is very important if you're going to be a Roman Catholic. It's essential."

Posted: 1/26/06
Source: UPI

(http://www.afgen.com/mel_gibson.html
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
21st May 2006 03:48 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat What is this about?
22nd May 2006 04:17 PM
monkey_man Will A-B give up the official story behind the "33"
22nd May 2006 04:33 PM
Saint Sway Anheiser Busch sucks on so many levels.

They absolutely ruin the taste of every micro and macro brewery that they've bought up.

I have tremendous respect for the micro's and macro's that have refused AB offers over the years. Craft brewing is a dying breed.
23rd May 2006 06:14 PM
Sir Stonesalot A-B is the McDonalds of beer.
23rd May 2006 06:42 PM
telecaster Always remember friends.....

The "Rev" Jesse Jackson owns the largest Bud distibutership in the US

Shakedown
23rd May 2006 06:54 PM
Joey
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Always remember friends.....

The "Rev" Jesse Jackson owns the largest Bud distibutership in the US

Shakedown

23rd May 2006 07:54 PM
Riffhard
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
Will A-B give up the official story behind the "33"

I will let you in on the secret of the "33" on the bottle of Rolling Rock. This here is the real story,and can be verified by the higher ups at the brewery in Latrobe,Pa. Though they will bullshit you so as to keep up the mystique. This is the truth though.

If you read the back label on a bottle of Rolling Rock you will count exactly 33 words of text. They start with something about the "From the glass lined tanks..." When the bottles were originally printed the cost of printing was determined by the word count. The text was exactly 33 words long so the person who worked in the accounting office of the printer wrote the number "33" on the bottom of the order form just below the agreed upon text. This order was then sent to the bottler without removing the "33". So the bottler printed the number just below the text as it was on the order form.

That is the real story folks! A simple mistake! An oversight if you will. Don't believe me? Go grab a Rock and count the words on the back.

As Paul Harvey says,"Now you know the rest of the story!"

Riffy
23rd May 2006 08:02 PM
Riffhard Here ya go. Count 'em up yourself.---->"Rolling Rock, from the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe we tender this premium beer for your enjoyment as a tribute to your good taste. It comes from the mountain springs to you."

Riffy
24th May 2006 01:11 AM
Lethargy Isn't IRON CITY BEER (Pittsburgh Brewing Company) in trouble too? I Heard PBC were near bankruptcy. My college days in the Pittsburgh area are an Iron City haze, and I love every memory of it.
24th May 2006 02:48 AM
Zack I was just about to post an old column from The Straight Dope about the 33. According to it, Riffy's explanation is accurate.

For the record, those little 8 oz. Rolling Rock bottles were the first beer I ever drank, age 12. I used to steal my Dad's when he wasn't looking, then replace it with one from the fridge. Why I didn't just take one directly I don't recall.
24th May 2006 04:57 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Isn't IRON CITY BEER (Pittsburgh Brewing Company) in trouble too? I Heard PBC were near bankruptcy. My college days in the Pittsburgh area are an Iron City haze, and I love every memory of it.

Whered'ya go to school?
24th May 2006 05:13 PM
Saint Sway I thought 33 was the amount of Rolling Rock you had to drink to catch any form of a buzz.
25th May 2006 12:12 AM
Lethargy
quote:
HardKnoxDurtySox wrote:

Whered'ya go to school?

Carnegie-Mellon. I drank Iron City beer pretty much every week for four (ok, five) years.
25th May 2006 12:13 AM
Lethargy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I thought 33 was the amount of Rolling Rock you had to drink to catch any form of a buzz.

Yeah, maybe 33 really means 3.3 alcohol content.
25th May 2006 11:55 AM
Saint Sway Dixie Brewery was destroyed in Katrina. NO MORE DIXIE BLACKENED VOODOO!!!! The last cajun bar in the city ran out of the last supplies months ago!
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)