ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Happy first year BdP!!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Loretta Lynn Rocks! Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 11th, 2004 10:24 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! Don't know if this has been posted before, but if it hasn't, here goes. The new Loretta Lynn album "Van Lear Rose" is simply outstanding! If you haven�t bought it yet, do yourself a favor, go and buy it immediately! The CD has not left my changer since I bought it two weeks ago! Jack White of "The White Strips" produced and arranged the album and does play some on it. Loretta has written all the tunes and they are in my opinion, some of the best work that she has ever done. The songs do have that Stonesy feel to them, something that you would expect from around the Exile years. It's not what the typical Loretta fan will expect, but that's a good thing because this album is so damn good it will appeal to country and rock fans alike. There�s not one bad tune on the album, and it really is unusual to pick up a new album these days and every song is fucking great from start to finish. Loretta's voice sounds very youthful and inspired and the music is up front with a lot of great slide guitar and a fat bass and drum sound. It's not very often that I will buy any new music other then the normal bands that I listen to; in fact, this is the only Loretta album that I own. As I said, do yourself a favor and get it, you won't be sorry! Loretta Rocks!!!!
[Edited by Happy Motherfucker!!]
May 12th, 2004 02:23 PM
jb Loretta Lynn was country music until phonies like Shainia and Faith Hill came along....I also find Dolly Parton incredibly sexy and would love to fuck her between the titties.
May 12th, 2004 06:02 PM
crb69 Word!
May 12th, 2004 07:12 PM
Gazza >Don't know if this has been posted before, but if it hasn't, here goes. The new Loretta Lynn album "Van Lear Rose" is simply outstanding! If you haven�t bought it yet, do yourself a favor, go and buy it immediately! The CD has not left my changer since I bought it two weeks ago!

Im having the same problem retrieving it from my walkman. Must be a common problem.

Every word you said is spot on. It's a cracker. Thanks to me ol' mate Hotlicks for burning it for me
May 12th, 2004 08:36 PM
Martha Ok, I've been slow on the uptake. I 'll go get it tomorrow.

Thanks, for the reminder.

I wanna be as happy as you are HMF!

You too Gazza!
May 12th, 2004 08:51 PM
stonedinaustralia given all these entusiastic recommendations i'm going to get myself a copy of this

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
May 13th, 2004 03:04 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Jack White Plans Two More Albums With Loretta Lynn

Wed May 12,
White Stripes frontman Jack White will work with country legend Loretta Lynn on two more albums, according to NME.com. White produced Lynn's new album, Van Lear Rose, in addition to singing and playing on the record. Lynn said, "It's not a gimmick. I've got two more in mind, and Jack and I are going to do 'em together. When I'm on the road, I say to my fans: 'How many of you know The White Stripes?' And they applaud. Country people know him."

For his part, White doesn't think that fans of the White Stripes are confused by his work with a country artist. "As they grow older, they realize that all music dates back to the blues, and all music, whether it's punk or New Wave or rock and roll or whatever it is, it's all leading back to the blues," White says. "And country is just another aspect of that. It's just another Southern take on that folk style, just as important and just as valid."

Lynn also said that she and White will head out on the road together in the future with a band called the Do Whaters, who played on the Van Lear Rose disc.

The White Stripes and Lynn met after Lynn's daughter, Patsy, discovered that the duo had dedicated their 2001 album, White Blood Cells, to her mother.
May 13th, 2004 04:11 AM
luridchief I give it a rave review, too--it's well worth check out, folks!
May 13th, 2004 10:40 AM
Martha I am now officially psyched!
May 13th, 2004 10:43 AM
jb Sissy Spacek's performance in "Coal Miner's Daughter" was great!!! Loretta has had a very tough life despite her success...she is truly a legend.
By the way, isn't Crystal gale Dolly parton's sister...she is another beauty who I would love to be with.
May 13th, 2004 11:46 AM
Martha Crystal Gale is Loretta's younger sister jb.

Here's more from Loretta's website:

Loretta Lynn's 'Van Lear Rose,' Rocking Down a Country Road

By David Segal
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, April 28, 2004; Page C01

In pop, the what-if game ordinarily requires a vivid imagination, but if you ever wondered what Loretta Lynn would sound like backed by the Rolling Stones, wonder no more. Get yourself a copy of "Van Lear Rose," Lynn's new album, and you can hear for yourself.

We're not talking about the Stones of today, but rather the Stones of the early '70s, the Stones of "Sticky Fingers," when the band was flirting with country rock and writing songs such as "Dead Flowers." Picture it: Mick, Keith and the boys taking a break after their 20th stab at "Brown Sugar," kicking aside the whiskey bottles to make way for a petite woman in a sundress with a thick Kentucky drawl. She warbles about love, God and her dirt-poor beginnings; the musicians don't drown out her songs, but they don't exactly hold back either, and there's searing slide guitar whenever Lynn steps away from the microphone. It's the Grand Ole Opry overrun by longhairs, the sound of Nashville wired to a stack of Marshall amps.

That's "Van Lear Rose," one of those singular concoctions that works so well, it's odd nobody thought of it before. It's a collaboration between Lynn and Jack White, the guitar-playing and songwriting half of the garage rock duo the White Stripes. A lifelong fan who dedicated the Stripes' third album to Lynn, White strums, sings and produces on "Rose," and it's hard to imagine anyone else approaching this material with the same mix of boldness and respect.

Lynn's bumpkin charm is intact here, right from the first verse of the first song. It's the title track, a tale her daddy tells about the belle of Johnson County, Ky., a young lady who bewitched every suitor from "the Ohio River to the Big Sandy." In the tradition of great country narratives, this one has a surprise ending: the "Van Lear Rose," it turns out, is Loretta's mother, and the man who won her heart none other than dear old dad. "Your momma," Lynn sings, recalling her father's words and pouring her heart into the line, "she's the Van Lear Rose."

But if White leaves alone Lynn's sentimental streak and her undefeatable pluck, he's overhauled her sound. On "Have Mercy on Me Baby," which Lynn originally wrote for Elvis Presley, you can hear him struggling to keep his guitar corked until the solo. When it arrives, the band shrugs off the restrained, march-to-war beat and White bolts like a greyhound. "Have mercy!" Lynn hollers over the din, and if she's begging Jack, he apparently doesn't hear her.

Lynn, who wrote nearly every song on the album, has endured serious hardships in recent years, but the subjects that consume her on "Rose" are much the same as when she was the queen of country music in the late '60s and early '70s. "Trouble on the Line" is a teary slow-dance number about a dysfunctional marriage, told through an excessively beaten phone metaphor. Revenge on a wayward husband is exacted on "Mrs. Leroy Brown," and Lynn conjures a first-person death-row narrative on "Women's Prison," describing the last minute of an inmate as she's led to the electric chair for killing her cheating "darlin.' "

"Story of My Life" is exactly what it says it is, right down to the biographical detail that Lynn never saw a penny from the film version of her autobiography, "Coal Miner's Daughter." And as much as she complained about Doolittle, her philandering husband, now that he has passed away Lynn pines for him on "Miss Being Mrs." But the best track is an un-Lynn-like account of a fling on "Portland, Oregon," a duet with White that comes across as an epic in miniature. It starts with a buckle-up intro that could have been lifted from some avant-garde quartet from New York, segues into the sort of tag-team effort that Lynn used to cut with Conway Twitty, and winds up in a full-on thrash.

White is convinced that recording technology peaked in the early '60s, and he's given "Rose" a sound that you can't get with digital equipment; it's vintage without seeming nostalgic. Exactly whom this music will appeal to is hard to say. Lynn fans might have a hard time coping with the back-dated atmospherics and distorted guitars, and the typical White Stripes fan has never heard "Fist City." With any luck, though, "Rose" will do for this legend what all those American Recordings albums did for Johnny Cash -- namely, introduce her to a new generation of admirers. Ready or not, at the age of 70 Loretta Lynn has come for your grandkids.
May 13th, 2004 12:45 PM
Nasty Habits I really like most of it, and I love the sound. Would love for it to come out on vinyl, because I think it would make a better LP than it does a CD. Side flips are such a valuable thing.

But if anybody thinks this sounds like the Rolling Stones backing Loretta Lynn, they are obviously NOT listening to the rhythm section, which is weak and for me distracting. However, there's no other record like it out there, and I have been listening to it constantly since it came out. Most of the songs are top notch, too.
May 13th, 2004 12:47 PM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
Loretta Lynn was country music until phonies like Shainia and Faith Hill came along....I also find Dolly Parton incredibly sexy and would love to fuck her between the titties.

jb go to Home Depot. Aisle 5. Caulk and silicone sealants
Buy yourself a couple tubes. Same as Dolly's rack

I think hers even have "Dow Chemical" stampled on them as well
May 14th, 2004 11:49 AM
GimmeExile I just picked this up last night...I've only heard the first two songs and I was totally blown away. It's definitely a Stones during Exile on Main Street sound. Raw and intense...I can't wait to hear the whole album tonight.

Thanks for the raving reviews. It was only a blip on my radar, but you guys brought it in close.

Wow, wait until they tour together...
May 15th, 2004 09:05 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! Glad to see some of you guys picking up the new album. It's one of the best to come out in a good while! Get it!
May 15th, 2004 11:20 PM
Bloozehound I've heard parts of "Story of My Life" on a local country station.

The song seems to be either starting/ending whenever I'm exiting/entering my vehicle (driving is the only time I listen to radio stations)

Although I haven't really heard the song in its entirety, I really liked what I heard.

I might have to pick this album up soon.
[Edited by Bloozehound]
May 16th, 2004 01:05 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Martha wrote:
With any luck, though, "Rose" will do for this legend what all those American Recordings albums did for Johnny Cash -- namely, introduce her to a new generation of admirers. Ready or not, at the age of 70 Loretta Lynn has come for your grandkids.

Wow. I hope so. My Grandmother(84) has always been a Loretta Lynn fan. She's got some of her records. Anyway I told her about this record, and with some strong hinting around on her part, I guess I'm going to have to buy this one for her.
May 16th, 2004 01:38 PM
Martha Picked up "Van Lear Rose" last night, it is wonderful!

BTW, Heads Up: Loretta Lynn will be interviewd on "Larry King Live" this coming Thursday night; May 20th.

And, can anyone tell me when Jack White will be touring with Loretta? Her tour opens in a day or so.
Thanks!
May 16th, 2004 02:19 PM
Sir Stonesalot I've had Van Lear Rose for about a week now. I don't think I'm any different from the rest of you...I just love the hell outta it.

The SOUND of it is hypnotizing. The songs are all very strong...all the requisite country hallmarks are there...cheatin' husbands, wanton hussies, drinkin', the chair, fear of God, moonshine, aching loneliness.

Loretta is still in VERY fine voice. She doesn't sound like any 70 year old woman that I ever heard sing! Seriously, if you were going on her singing voice alone, you'd guess this was a young woman singing. And she is OBVIOUSLY psyched about the music. There is no question of that. She sings with belief.

Jack did some good things with the record. I like how the pedal steel is kinda far away and dreamy. It's a very haunting effect. My biggest complaint is that there's not enough sharpness in there, soundwise. It's pretty murky. It's not enough to put me off the record(in fact, it turns me on to it)...but it will be for a large amount of country fans. I think I understand where Jack was going with this...an old timey, cabin porch feel...and it works undeniably well on "High On A Mountaintop", "God Makes No Mistakes", and "This Old House".

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think "Miss Being Mrs" is just achingly sad. I almost cried the first couple of times I heard it. The heartbreaking loneliness is palpable. Right now, I think this is my fave on the disc.

And then there is the rock n rollin'..."Have Mercy", "Portland Oregon", "Mrs Leroy Brown"...you wouldn't think a 70 year old country gal could pull off some foot stomping R&R...but she does, and in a big way. The Do Whater's get to turn it up a bit and play hard. These songs provide a nice contrast to some of the quiet and pretty songs.

I don't think there is any question in my mind that this is the finest record released so far in 2004. It certainly has my early vote for album of the year. It doesn't sound like anything else out there right now. This is definately one to go and get. Just be fairly warned...it is quite addictive.
May 16th, 2004 02:32 PM
Factory Girl Stonesy, please check PM.
May 16th, 2004 04:29 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I've had Van Lear Rose for about a week now. I don't think I'm any different from the rest of you...I just love the hell outta it. ETC

I dunno...I'm psyched. Now if this record sucks, and I'll buy it this week, then I'll be real pissed off and never trust the "Collective RO Taste" again (but I suppose the chances of that happening are pretty remote.) This better be good. This is real money we're talking about. LOL.
May 16th, 2004 07:07 PM
FPM C10 Does anyone know if Jack is touring with Loretta on her upcoming tour? She's playing near me and knowing whether Jack is in the band will be a deciding factor in whether I go or not. (Yeah, sounds lame, I SHOULD just go to see HER. Bit I still gotsta know!)
May 16th, 2004 07:56 PM
Bloozehound I got it today. I'm impressed. It's really, really good.

Reminds me of something that coulda came out of the 60 - 70's country music scene.

Basic rootsy, raw, country tunes sung with one of the finest female country singers ever. Loretta sounds as youthful and vibrant as she ever has.

It sounds impressively fresh when compared to the pop that passes for country music today. I guess the good things in life never go out of style.

This will be the 3rd great music selection I've made this week along with the new musselwhite & new toots and the maytals disks. Thanks for the heads up guys.
May 17th, 2004 12:50 AM
Sir Stonesalot I was wondering the same thing Flea.

If Jack is playing guitar for her, I'm there...if he isn't I'll probably pass. I know I should be going to see her...but honestly Jack is a big reason that I like this album so much. I'm afraid that if he isn't in the band, the music will lose some of that feel that makes it so different and special. I'm sure Loretta would sing just great...but the band just could NOT be as good...hence the music as well...without Jack White in the band.

Pixies hit DC in early December...you wanna go?
May 17th, 2004 01:31 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! It would be interesting to hear how the old timers and long-time Loretta fans feel about this album. After all it is certianly not something that they may expect from the Queen of country. But, in my humble opinion, any Loretta fan that "doesn't get it" simple hasn't a clue about the over talents of this woman anyway. And, yes I do agree that its the best album to be released this year and when Grammy time comes rolling along, I wouldn't be surprised if she isn't the toast of the town! This album will again put her at the forfront of country music where she should be.
May 17th, 2004 08:29 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Pixies hit DC in early December...you wanna go?

I still have vague but pleasant memories of the LAST time we saw them. When WAS that - '88? '89? I doubt we're going to get to stand 10 feet away from Kim Deal this time, but hell yes I'll go.

Where, when, how much? When do tickets go on sale?

I think when we go we should take Gregg along because there's a good chance security might think he IS Frank Black - I saw photos of the Pixies' first reunion gig, and they could be twins. Portly, bald twins.

If they don't think he's Frank, they might think he's Butterbean.

May 17th, 2004 10:15 AM
jb Interesting post FPMC10.
May 17th, 2004 10:29 AM
Joey
Interesting post FPMC10.
May 17th, 2004 11:44 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Does anyone know if Jack is touring with Loretta on her upcoming tour? She's playing near me and knowing whether Jack is in the band will be a deciding factor in whether I go or not. (Yeah, sounds lame, I SHOULD just go to see HER. Bit I still gotsta know!)

He's not. I went to see her in Johnson City, TN this weekend and Jack and the Do-Whatters were nowhere to be seen -- her old band "The Coal Miners" played backup, and the only song off of Van Lear Rose they played was "Portland Oregon".

That said, her performance was excellent, albeit pretty darn short. Johnson City was a hard core old time country music fan type audience, and the show was all request -- she'd have somebody in the audience holler out a song, and they'd play it, including some numbers she claimed she hadn't done for 20 years.

Good band, fun crowd, hilarious opening business with her twin daughters, who are now a nu-cuntry Juddsesque act. The daughters came out prior to the show and absolutely HOCKED their merch, which included Loretta Lynn Ranch made scented candles and promo photos for LL that must've been in a box somewhere for a few decades.

LL was in good voice, hit most of the high points of her catalog (including one of my longtime favorites "When a Tingle Becomes a Chill" and a terrific version of "I Fall to Pieces" as requested by yours nastily) and did an inspired medley of "One's on the Way" and "The Pill". There were some White Stripes fans in the audience, and some definite requests for "Have Mercy" and "Women's Prison", but she poo poo'd them off. There was this weird ambivalence towards the whole recording of Van Lear Rose on her part - not that she was apologetic for it per se, but she definitely called Jack "that rock and roller" and told a very weird story about how he turned "Portland Oregon" into a duet AFTER it had been recorded and without consulting her.

Anyway, it was a blast, and only partially an ironic blast (although everything that happened before LL came out was just hilarious and ridiculous to me) but I'm glad that I was able to get into the show via connections and all I had to pay was my gas there and back (about an hour drive either way and expensive enough) rather than shell the $26 per for two tickets.
May 17th, 2004 11:50 AM
jb That is ironic.
Page: 1 2