ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

London, January 1967 Peter Stone
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: new album rumor resurfaces Return to archive Page: 1 2
05-14-03 06:40 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
vampire wrote:

It seems Brazilian country music of the worst type.

interesting comment vamp - tho i haven't heard a lot of brazilian country music - at i least i don't think i have

to me "keys" is a direct take, homage , whatever on a motown vibe... a good example of mick trying to smokey robinson with a few james browm riffs thrown in - i take sandrews point however re some of mick's lyrics...stealing my heart is diabolical...

good point too T & A

STONES!!

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
05-14-03 09:46 AM
vampire I was talking about those too poor lyrics. Somehow It seems made to homage Luciana Gimenez. But, still, I think country brazilians singers would be better (and you are not missing anything, believe me).
[Edited by vampire]
05-14-03 10:41 AM
ShadowCat The Stones can still make masterpieces, alright. Voodoo Lounge is the best thing they did since Tattoo You, and that is no small triumph. Wandering Spirit proved that Mick can do it too. I know it�s been almost 10 years since that, but with the Stones, you count in decades, not years ;-)

I think the 4 new songs in 40 licks were not the best, but the most throwaway they had. They didnt need to put their best songs in a Greatest Hits package. It was pointless. If they are smart, they mustve kept the best material for the new album. As in every new album for the last 20 years, the Stones have to fight the skepticisim of the whole world.

I have greatly enjoyed their recent albums. I loved their rendition of Like a Rolling Stone. They werent in their best shape in B2B, but we still have Saint of me, Flip the switch and the beautiful How can I stop.

05-14-03 01:09 PM
quackenbush Voodoo Lounge better than Bridges to Babylon--No Way!
05-14-03 08:07 PM
mandrack Totaly agree with quackenbush!
05-14-03 08:56 PM
T&A I think time has treated VL pretty well - it's held up well over the past (gasp!) almost decade. Meanwhile, I don't think B2B will stand the test of time quite as well. Seems more contrived than inspired.
05-14-03 09:28 PM
Maxmeister
quote:
T&A wrote:
I think time has treated VL pretty well - it's held up well over the past (gasp!) almost decade. Meanwhile, I don't think B2B will stand the test of time quite as well. Seems more contrived than inspired.

You are a wise man T&A. Your comment is more than an opinion, it's a fact.
With Bridges almost 6 years out, and Voodoo almost 9 years out, the overwhelming consensus I've witnessed on these messageboards for over 4 years is Voodoo is the keeper and Bridges is the second class citizen. From what I've read on these forums, if you subtracted the younger crowd[especially the ones that cut their teeth on the Stones with Bridges] there's an even bigger difference.
Actually I enjoy Bridges. It's not as bad as the detracters make it out. But, the over the top production and other weaknesses like the group not being intact on so many of the tracks makes it an average Stones release at best.
Voodo has it's weak points but there are still many more good to very good tracks that are real Stones material.
Test of time indeed!

Rick

05-14-03 10:08 PM
BILL PERKS AS SGT. SHULTZ WOULD SAY "I KNOW NOTHING".THIS THREAD IS RIDICULOUS WITH NO CREDIBLE INFO AND LOTS OF PONTIFICATION ABOUT NOTHING.MY SOURCE WAS CRACKHEAD BOB!
05-14-03 10:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Check Soldati's post HERE, his sources have always been accurate and reliable
05-15-03 04:17 AM
Diedre The Stones are a band of relationships, or more specifically, a relationship. The quality of their material is dependent on that. If the relationship is good, then the music will be good. The better the relationship, the better the music. If things are cold, then the music is cold, or doesn't get made, or comes out half-baked. That's why "Voodoo Lounge" is one of the better things they did in a few years, because there was a return of warmth (read those lyrics, wow!). Then, "Stripped" was made shortly thereafter, another affirmation of partnership. "Bridges to Babylon" is when the bloom was off the rose again. So, now it's just treading water. Not sure if anything can change that; these people have a lot of water under the bridge and aren't getting any younger. On the other hand, if Buckingham and Nicks can get along again ...
05-15-03 05:14 AM
exile I totally agree Maxmeister

bridges was an ok effort there are some tracks on there
Voodoo was closer to a real stones album than anything lately

dont get me wrong I still enjoy Bridges (except for that tinny intro on Flip the switch they had ther heart in the right place but i cant stand that song)
05-15-03 08:54 AM
full moon I guess this turned into a debate on B2B .. So, IMO, it is a fine album.. In fact, I enjoy it quite a bit...
05-15-03 09:24 AM
F505 Maybe Bridges and Voodoo are fine albums but they don't even come close to those classic album of the 60's and 70's. After Tattoo You the Stones have lost their appetite. Their status relies nowadays on their live performances which are indeed still impressive.
05-16-03 07:39 AM
gypsymofo60 Well like it or not- I have to confer with The Vamp in this thread, when he posed the question, Do you have to be an arse licker,(or words to that effect), to be a fan? GOOD POINT 99!............When some people say they dislike the/some of the new songs on 40 Licks, I mean does it really matter?....NO!....I mean I kinda like a couple of 'em, but I have to admit, that if some no-name band had released any of those toons I would probably have been heard sighing in Vladivostock. As for the VL vs B2Babs debate, well I personally PREFER The Lounge, but I mean, there peas in a pod really.....yeah?
05-19-03 01:50 AM
corgi37 Voodoo has purpose. It seems more co-hesive. Charlie bashing away in a stairwell of an Irish pub is just too good a sound to ignore. the songs are stronger i feel. But, i like b2b as well. I thought it was a pretty good shot of them trying something a bit different, yet still be the stones. But i have serious issues with b2b. The choice of 1st single was a tragedy. Whether Jagger was trying to be relevant at the time, ala Miss You, he seriously failed with anybody seen my baby. Disco-y, dance-y people completely ignored it, and stones fans like me, when i 1st heard it, said : "What the fuck"? Might as well get juiced (in my opinion) should have been 1st single. A pretty cool blend of computer music, modern drunm/bass/jungle beat and yet still stonesy and not a million miles away from a traditional style blues song they used to do (ventilator blues for one). Once again, Keith sings ballads. Not one, but fucking 2. For all its mixing/production tricks, i can find it a pretty uninspiring cd, unlike voodoo. Though voodoo had some very average "stones by numbers" tracks, b2b's rockers were the same. I have always wondered if b2b was their attempt at re-invention, similar to what U2 tried with zooropa, pop etc. Hey, full points for trying something different. My opinion could also be clouded because the bastards didnt tour Oz to promote b2b, where as they did for voodoo.
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003