ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan sucked here Return to archive Page: 1 2
15th May 2006 03:24 PM
jb http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/lifestyle/sfl-mu13dylanmay13,0,948939.story
15th May 2006 03:38 PM
Gazza I didnt realise that "Dylan mesmerized" was the same thing as "Dylan sucked"

..and as for the dorks who were amazed at him changing the arrangements of his old songs...where the fuck have they been for the last 40 years?
15th May 2006 03:43 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I didnt realise that "Dylan mesmerized" was the same thing as "Dylan sucked"

..and as for the dorks who were amazed at him changing the arrangements of his old songs...where the fuck have they been for the last 40 years?

People were enraged and left ....Bon Jovi is also playing htis venue!!!!!
[Edited by jb]
15th May 2006 04:00 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

People were enraged and left ....Bon Jovi is also playing htis venue!!!!!
[Edited by jb]

er..one guy left early complaining. Seriously, any fan who goes to any show expecting a carbon copy of someone's greatest hits is an cultureless arsehole who deserves to have their night ruined

Either that, or he left early as he was afraid he'd be locked in for Bon Jovi's visit

15th May 2006 04:03 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

er..one guy left early complaining. Seriously, any fan who goes to any show expecting a carbon copy of someone's greatest hits is an cultureless arsehole who deserves to have their night ruined

Either that, or he left early as he was afraid he'd be locked in for Bon Jovi's visit

I was surprised that it sold so well..Haggerd is large in the country area, and "Davie" , Florida is right next to Holywood and is filled with red-necks and oick up trucks...what a humiliating evrning. Gazza, I am so happy you did not have to experience thius first hand.
15th May 2006 04:04 PM
Saint Sway Dylan's touring band is excellent. I'll listen to those guys any night. With or without Bob.
15th May 2006 04:08 PM
Martha Bob's really goin out there with his arrangements this tour. Gary have you heard anything from this leg? I was totally blown away with his version of Cold Irons Bound in Albuquerque...I NEED a copy of that. It was gorgeous....very slowed down and wonderful.

You never know what he'll come up with next.

AND...he has a knew Yamaha keyboard He is more Vincent Priceish than ever...he cracks himself up at the notes and chords he sometimes hits. I love watching him especially on a night when he laughs a lot. He was happy and wearin' red in NM. :-)

He got a terrible review in Tucson as well....and I LOVED the show. People who know nothing about music and art write those reviews I guess. Dumb young kids...like I once was myself. :-)

I just laugh at their ignorance. If you don't get Bob you shouldn't go to a show. He never plays a song the same way twice. There is always some nuance changed. He's a master at that. There's no one like him...wish I'd have been there.

What color shirt did he wear?

jb did you actually go?
15th May 2006 04:24 PM
time is on my side Bob put on a great performance here in Atlanta (just a little over a week ago).

It's was completely sold out (missed Merle as I had trouble finding a place to park).

Loved Bob's new arrangements on songs like Cold Irons Bound and Girl From the North Country

Dylan's vocal enunciation was clear and surprisingly strong (no mumbling this TIME around). He left to a standing ovation as the crowd shouted for more.
15th May 2006 04:25 PM
Gazza
quote:
Martha wrote:
Bob's really goin out there with his arrangements this tour. Gary have you heard anything from this leg? I was totally blown away with his version of Cold Irons Bound in Albuquerque...I NEED a copy of that. It was gorgeous....very slowed down and wonderful.

You never know what he'll come up with next.

AND...he has a knew Yamaha keyboard He is more Vincent Priceish than ever...he cracks himself up at the notes and chords he sometimes hits. I love watching him especially on a night when he laughs a lot. He was happy and wearin' red in NM. :-)

He got a terrible review in Tucson as well....and I LOVED the show. People who know nothing about music and art write those reviews I guess. Dumb young kids...like I once was myself. :-)

I just laugh at their ignorance. If you don't get Bob you shouldn't go to a show. He never plays a song the same way twice. There is always some nuance changed. He's a master at that. There's no one like him...wish I'd have been there.

What color shirt did he wear?

jb did you actually go?

Martha - I have several shows from the recent leg, which I've downloaded

Reno, Stockton, Albuquerque, El Paso, Las vegas, Sun City West, Tucson, Grand Prairie, Kansas City, Birmingham and Asheville

let me know what you need, although as I'm going to Italy on saturday for a week, it'll have to wait until after I get back - as will some other stuff I have to send you.

Josh - non-believers have been walking out of Dylan shows for over 40 years because they're too thick to grasp the concept of a show where the performer sets his own rules, takes risks and doesnt play to the lowest common denominator of churning out the hits in a carbon copy of the original records. Personally, I love the unpredictability and edginess of such a show.

I wish the Stones would have the balls to take the same risks but they wont as long as theyre content to pander to the low expectancies of the corporate shower who know and want nothing beyond "40 licks" and who will feel cheated and cry like babies because theyve paid the GNP of a small African nation for a ticket to see a band who they feel should be their own personal jukebox.

The Stones effectively let a certain element of the audience (generally, the ones who know and appreciate their work the least) set the agenda for the type of show they put on. Dylan sets his own rules and the bulk of his audience are still clued in enough to follow. Thats the difference

[Edited by Gazza]
15th May 2006 04:26 PM
Chuck Bob ain't shit without Mick Taylor.
15th May 2006 04:27 PM
jb I will not comment on whether I attended this. I will say that I have been to the Hard Rock. I will also not comment on whether I walked out.
15th May 2006 04:28 PM
jb
quote:
Chuck wrote:
Bob ain't shit without Mick Taylor.

Word to the mother.
15th May 2006 04:30 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

Word to the mother.

considering he didnt play any US shows with Taylor, how many did you see?

I saw two of them. Taylor was fine as a lead guitarist but he was no bandleader.

Most subsequent bands Dylan has toured with (and I've seen 'em all) blow that '84 band away.
15th May 2006 04:31 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

considering he didnt play any US shows with Taylor, how many did you see?

I saw two of them. Taylor was fine as a lead guitarist but he was no bandleader.

Most subsequent bands Dylan has toured with (and I've seen 'em all) blow that '84 band away.

I saw a beautfil DVD and almost could tolerate Dylan with MT on guitar.....I think it was 1984?
15th May 2006 04:39 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Chuck wrote:

people said the same thing about Mike Bloomfield

another damned fine Jew

15th May 2006 04:50 PM
charlotte This was top shelf:

Davidson, North Carolina
Davidson College
Baker Sports Complex
John M. Belk Arena

May 2, 2006
1. Maggie's Farm
2. She Belongs To Me
3. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
4. Positively 4th Street
5. 'Til I Fell In Love With You
6. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
7. Just Like A Woman
8. Highway 61 Revisited
9. I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
10. Cold Irons Bound
11. Every Grain Of Sand
12. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
13. Masters Of War
14. Summer Days

(encore)
15. Like A Rolling Stone
16. All Along The Watchtower

Bob's singing was the best I have heard in years, since the 80's. The organ sound is terrific and the harp playing was also, much better than the keyboard sound used for the first couple years after dropping guitar.Quite playful and captivating to listen too. I found myself totally focused on Bob's musical sounds and his voice. Some of the best I have ever heard.

15th May 2006 04:54 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

I saw a beautfil DVD and almost could tolerate Dylan with MT on guitar.....I think it was 1984?

yeah..that was the only tour they played together. It was only a European tour however. The first tour I saw him (and Taylor as well, of course)

a very enjoyable series of shows for the most part
15th May 2006 05:07 PM
Highwire Rob He sure looks great in 3D on the 1000th front cover of RS Mag! I have that thing framed already.

I haven't seen Dylan since the late 80s G.E. Smith band days. Is that ensemble still considered one of the best? (I think the Heartbreaker guitarist was in that group too.)

I'm Definitely gonna get tickets for CSN&Y at Post-Gazette Pavilion here in Pittsburgh later this summer.
15th May 2006 05:07 PM
Saint Sway Dylan performing "Can I Follow You Down" with The Band at The Last Waltz is impossible to top. That rawked.

and I'll say it again: Dylan's current touring band is stellar!!
15th May 2006 05:09 PM
time is on my side
quote:
charlotte wrote:
This was top shelf:

Davidson, North Carolina
Davidson College
Baker Sports Complex
John M. Belk Arena

May 2, 2006
1. Maggie's Farm
2. She Belongs To Me
3. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
4. Positively 4th Street
5. 'Til I Fell In Love With You
6. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
7. Just Like A Woman
8. Highway 61 Revisited
9. I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
10. Cold Irons Bound
11. Every Grain Of Sand
12. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
13. Masters Of War
14. Summer Days

(encore)
15. Like A Rolling Stone
16. All Along The Watchtower

Here's the setlist of the show I went to and I agree it was high quality stuff that left me wanting more when it ended all too quickly:

Atlanta, Georgia
Chastain Park Amphitheatre

May 5, 2006

1. Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)
2. Mr. Tambourine Man
3. Lonesome Day Blues
4. Positively 4th Street
5. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
6. Make You Feel My Love
7. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
8. Cold Irons Bound
9. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
10. Highway 61 Revisited
11. Girl Of The North Country
12. Summer Days

(encore)
13. Like A Rolling Stone
14. All Along The Watchtower

(Thanks to Ed & Michelle for the phone call)

Band Members
Bob Dylan - keyboard, harp
Tony Garnier - bass
George Recile - drums
Stu Kimball - rhythm guitar
Denny Freeman - lead guitar
Donnie Herron - violin, pedal steel, lap steel

15th May 2006 05:11 PM
Gazza
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:
I haven't seen Dylan since the late 80s G.E. Smith band days. Is that ensemble still considered one of the best? (I think the Heartbreaker guitarist was in that group too.)

a good band indeed (there were no Heartbreakers in any of the Never Ending Tour line ups, however) although my personal favourite band was the line up from around 2000 that had Charlie Sexton and Larry Campbell on guitars. The European tour from autumn of that year was just breathtaking. I saw four of those shows (three of them in theatres or clubs) and they were unforgettable

The various incarnations of his band has been shit-hot for some years now. I wasnt overly keen on a couple of the early 90's line ups that followed GE Smith, but then again that era was probably Bob's own nadir as a performing artist, so it maybe wasnt all their fault!
[Edited by Gazza]
15th May 2006 05:16 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
jb wrote:

I was surprised that it sold so well..Haggerd is large in the country area, and "Davie" , Florida is right next to Holywood and is filled with red-necks and oick up trucks...what a humiliating evrning. Gazza, I am so happy you did not have to experience thius first hand.

DAVIE IS NOT FILLED WITH RED NECKS
HOLLYWOOD, HOWEVER IS
SEE OTTIS TOOLE
15th May 2006 05:33 PM
Saint Sway Seems like every night this tour The Black Crowes throw a Dylan cover into their set. Off the top of my head these are the Dylan songs that the Black Crowes have played....

Rainy Day Woman
Oh Sister
When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky
Girl From The North Country
Boots Of Spanish Leather
Forever Young
Tough Mama
It Takes A Lot To Laugh....
Tonite I'll Be Staying Here With You
Sign On The Window
This Wheels On Fire
Odds & Ends
Most Likely You Go Your Way...
Meet Me In The Morning
Crash On The Levee (Down In The Flood)
You're A Big Girl Now
The Man In Me
Corrinna Corrina
Aint No More Cane

theres a bunch more... impossible to remember them all
15th May 2006 05:49 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I didnt realise that "Dylan mesmerized" was the same thing as "Dylan sucked"

True. Anyone who expects Dylan live to sound like Dylan in the studio is in for a big surprise. He never plays the same song the same way twice.

Oh boy, can't wait to see Uncle Bob this tour!
15th May 2006 05:53 PM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Seems like every night this tour The Black Crowes throw a Dylan cover into their set. Off the top of my head these are the Dylan songs that the Black Crowes have played....

Rainy Day Woman
Oh Sister
When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky
Girl From The North Country
Boots Of Spanish Leather
Forever Young
Tough Mama
It Takes A Lot To Laugh....
Tonite I'll Be Staying Here With You
Sign On The Window
This Wheels On Fire
Odds & Ends
Most Likely You Go Your Way...
Meet Me In The Morning
Crash On The Levee (Down In The Flood)
You're A Big Girl Now
The Man In Me
Corrinna Corrina
Aint No More Cane

theres a bunch more... impossible to remember them all

impressive. Theres about 6-7 of those songs even I have never seen Bob play in concert - in fact theres a few that hes NEVER played live
15th May 2006 05:54 PM
Gazza
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

True. Anyone who expects Dylan live to sound like Dylan in the studio is in for a big surprise. He never plays the same song the same way twice.

I think they all want to be the successor to the guy who shouted "Judas" (which happened 40 years ago this Wednesday, trivia fans..)
15th May 2006 06:02 PM
Navin Dear Jb,

Have you seen Mick Taylor perform LIVE with The Stones during those 69-73 years.

I do understand that you have seen The Stones live with Ron Wood many times, and by remarkable coincidence, both Keith and Ron have played very well each time you saw them.

15th May 2006 06:07 PM
the good
quote:
Chuck wrote:

Wow, who is this Mick Taylor dude? He must be AMAZING if half the people on this board think that both Dylan AND the Stones aren't shit without him.
[Edited by the good]
15th May 2006 06:08 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Gazza wrote:

impressive. Theres about 6-7 of those songs even I have never seen Bob play in concert - in fact theres a few that hes NEVER played live

indeed!

they tend to favor the more obscure stuff by their favorite bands.

I remember when they rehearsed with Page for their tour he was shocked that they knew all these song that Zep never even attempted to play live.

this past year has been really heavy on Dylan covers. Wish I could remember more titles for ya.

Donnie Heron (from BR5-49) is currently in Dylans band. He's a wiz. Super talented. Plays lap pedal steel, mandolin, fiddle, guitar... you name it. He collaborates w/the Crowes a bunch - in the studio & live. Larry Campbell has been touring with Chris Robinson & Phil Lesh in Lesh's "Phil & Friends" band. They do a ton of Bob's stuff too every night.
15th May 2006 06:28 PM
Gazza I like Herron. He's superb.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)